• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Oberyn survived the fight he probably would have been merked in his sleep anyway. Guy would have had it tough to leave King's Landing regardless if he won. Tywin/Cersei wouldn't have abided by whatever laws are in place surrounding trial by combat given the accusations Oberyn was throwing around (though he didn't directly call out Tywin as being responsible, the implication was there).

Guy's got motherfucking "Thor" in his name. He could squat a plane.

Even though it's possible The Mountain is dead as well a part of me wants him to remain because of his uniqueness when it comes to warriors in Game of Thrones. He's a fucking monster and it is kind of fun to see him wreck bitches (rip in pieces oberyns sister). Sometimes a little carnage is all we need.
Well he said who gave you the order screaming out loud, proceeded to walk towards the judges and pointed right at Tywin. :p

Carbonox

Well he said who gave you the order screaming out loud, proceeded to walk towards the judges and pointed right at Tywin. :p

Did he? Damn I forgot. Too caught up in the hype of the fight. :lol

Well there we go then. Oberyn wouldn't have left King's Landing alive had he won. Guy was doomed from the start. :(

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Did he? Damn I forgot. Too caught up in the hype of the fight. :lol

Well there we go then. Oberyn wouldn't have left King's Landing alive had he won. Guy was doomed from the start. :(

He brought a small delegation of Dornishmen with him to King's Landing though. I would also imagine that any rank and file soldier, would probably be scared shitless to go and try shit with the guy who just killed the Mountain.

Khaz

I was quite late with this episode and I heard people in my surrounding saying that it was another great one.

I knew Oberyn could fight. His arrogance just portrayed that but boy did his arrogance got the better of him.
The Mountain was a huge fellow and there was no way that he would have stayed down from a stab in the chest. Not him. Not in Game of Thrones.

That punch to the head just knocked him the fuck out. The scream just sent shivers down my spine, though.
I have seen a lot of brutal deaths in my time of movie watching, so I was not really shocked about the gore.

It was the complete surprise that got me. My brain was telling me that this was not going to end well, but within' 5 seconds my brain could just not cope with the swift 180 the end made.
Oberyn seeking justice for his sister, wanting to open up the dirty secrets of The Lannisters and then getting brutally murdered.

But that scream.. That scream.. It send shivers down my spine. That, coupled with Tyrion's reaction, just kinda ruined my afternoon off.

Even though this is Game of Thrones, he got stabbed pretty badly. This is exactly why everybody was taken by surprise: they staged it like a horror film, with the villain raising from the dead.

He was stabbed twice in the chest, with the second time an Oberyn literally jumping over him with the spear. We saw him laying down on his back, the spear deeply thrust into his chest, for like a whole minute before Oberyn took it out. The spear blade is like a forearm long. Someone studying anatomy would tell you that his pectoral muscles would have been significantly cut, preventing him from raising his arms. Significant arteries would have been cut as well. Most likely the lungs or the trachaea would have been badly damaged, so if still alive he would be trying to catch his last breath. But it doesn't even matter, anybody without that knowledge but with basic common sense knows you don't get back up with such wound. Hell, a single tiny bullet in the chest takes someone away.

They pulled a cheap trick on us just to make a shocking twist.

I was OK with Ned because he was killed by the words of a twisted mad king. Infuriating but understandable, hate was redirected towards Jeoffrey.
I was OK with the red wedding as it was basically a trap, a betrayal. I didn't see it coming but it was still logic in regards to how the world works. Bolton is an ass but he is so consistently.
I'm not OK with Oberyn death because it was by someone raising from the dead to give the ultimate blow, only to die again. Had it been orchestrated any differently, I would have been OK with it.

Dany

Banned
It's funny, someone who hasn't seen the episode got it spoiled for them. He says that a rock crushes a guys head in. :p lol

Even though this is Game of Thrones, he got stabbed pretty badly. This is exactly why everybody was taken by surprise: they staged it like a horror film, with the villain raising from the dead.

He was stabbed twice in the chest, with the second time an Oberyn literally jumping over him with the spear. We saw him laying down on his back, the spear deeply thrust into his chest, for like a whole minute before Oberyn took it out. The spear blade is like a forearm long. Someone studying anatomy would tell you that his pectoral muscles would have been significantly cut, preventing him from raising his arms. Significant arteries would have been cut as well. Most likely the lungs or the trachaea would have been badly damaged, so if still alive he would be trying to catch his last breath. But it doesn't even matter, anybody without that knowledge but with basic common sense knows you don't get back up with such wound. Hell, a single tiny bullet in the chest takes someone away.

They pulled a cheap trick on us just to make a shocking twist.

I was OK with Ned because he was killed by the words of a twisted mad king. Infuriating but understandable, hate was redirected towards Jeoffrey.
I was OK with the red wedding as it was basically a trap, a betrayal. I didn't see it coming but it was still logic in regards to how the world works. Bolton is an ass but he is so consistently.
I'm not OK with Oberyn death because it was by someone raising from the dead to give the ultimate blow, only to die again. Had it been orchestrated any differently, I would have been OK with it.

I forgot about that second stab in the chest. You are right.. When you think about it it should have been impossible for him to even move his arm.

His death is quite cheap, I agree. That is not the reason why I feel quite upset about Oberyn's loss, though. I will just miss him for the role he played among the Lannisters.
He had this certain kind of suave and wonderful arrogance. It actually filled me with joy that there was at least 1 person who dared to stay around Tywin and his bunch of goons, and surviving...

Guess not.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
ix82p0Z9Bir0q.gif

Loving Darth Sansa.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
my housemate is still miserable

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chopper I watched your video. Both you and your missus are hot.

She wouldn't look out of place in Dragon Age.

Heh, there's a lot of things from GoT that already don't look out of place in Dragon Age... like the run-down, unappreciated Night's Watch protecting the realm from the White Walkers who live in the wilds to the far north even though the people don't believe in them any more.

Oops, correction: I meant to say the run-down, unappreciated Grey Wardens protecting the realm from the Darkspawn who live in the wilds to the far south even though the people don't believe in them any more.

Respect

After what happened to Drogo that certainly seems like a possibility.

The Hound was clutching at his wound last episode. :( And Arya says "You should have let me burn off the flesh" or something like that. So worried that's a setup for a major disease.

That wound in the neck don't look good just saying (I haven't read the books, I'm just speculating)

Indeed, since now I'm certainly pulling for the Hound, I have resided in my mind he will be dead by the end of the season.

I don't know why, but I am giving myself hope Tyrion somehow gets out of this, but even then, where does he go/what would he do?

In the spirit of the souls series "Try tears, and then, sadness"

aravuus

Gonna start reading the books soon, aren't there any picture guides of the characters? Can't find anything and I'm asking here cause I'm afraid I'd get spoiled in the other thread. Really just something like name and how s/he looks in the show of every character that has been seen in the show.

I'm really bad with names.

Gonna start reading the books soon, aren't there any picture guides of the characters? Can't find anything and I'm asking here cause I'm afraid I'd get spoiled in the other thread. Really just something like name and how s/he looks in the show of every character that has been seen in the show.

I'm really bad with names.

Check out the original post in this thread for something like what you're looking for.

I think Arya watching the hound put a guy out of his misery was foreshadowing. She will be the one to put the Hound to rest and it will fall in line with him being one of the people to kill she names before sleep. I doubt she'll put it through his eye and out the back of his skull though. They have just been making him too likable these last few weeks. Last episode he was almost like a big brother. They want to crush us. I'm preparing myself.

Nameless

I think Arya watching the hound put a guy out of his misery was foreshadowing. She will be the one to put the Hound to rest and it will fall in line with him being one of the people to kill she names before sleep. I doubt she'll put it through his eye and out the back of his skull though. They have just been making him too likable these last few weeks. Last episode he was almost like a big brother. They want to crush us. I'm preparing myself.

Yeah I hope that's just a red herring, same with the little boy at the Wall killing Ygritte. The show's foreshadowing isn't typically that heavy handed.

Enco

Pretty sure the Hound is dead.

Maybe he'll ask Arya to put him out of his misery from the infected wound.

He's dead though. 90% sure.

I don't think Tyrion will die. Just seems too obvious. Although I said the same about Oberyn..

Raynes

I hope fucking hope Tyrion dies. I just want to see if GRRM has the guts to kill off a character he's been developing for so long. There are certain characters in my mind which I see as the main characters: Jon, Tyrion, Bran, Arya, Dany, Jaimie, P.Baelish, Sansa and Varys. It would really impress me on GRRM's part if he kills one or two of these characters before the end of this season, otherwise GOT is too predictable.

I hope fucking hope Tyrion dies. I just want to see if GRRM has the guts to kill off a character he's been developing for so long. There are certain characters in my mind which I see as the main characters: Jon, Tyrion, Bran, Arya, Dany, Jaimie, P.Baelish, Sansa and Varys. It would really impress me on GRRM's part if he kills one or two of these characters before the end of this season, otherwise GOT is too predictable.

You're a terrible person and should feel bad.

Please no... :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You know. I think the Hound dying from his untreated wounds would probably sadden me almost more than if Tyrion did.

These next two weeks are going to hurt us... again... aren't they?

Oh boy. I really don't know what to expect even this week. I mean how the hell would they top half the episodes this season? They were all episode 9's!

Booties

Banned
That death was bullshit. My room mate told me how it goes in the book after I watched it. Still don't believe it for a second. RIP best characters on the show.

mWovpmT.png

Bloodshed for the sake of bloodshed is just as bad as prohibiting death altogether. Plotmurder and plotarmor both suck equally.

ari-gold-gtfo.gif

fader

do you guys think the Martell's will want revenge for their Prince's death? and plus the fact that the mountain admitted to rapping and killing his sister.

Mrbob

Wouldn't that be HBO's fault, though? The are the ones who picked to start a show based on a series that's half way done. He shouldn't be pressured into writing if he doesn't feel like it IMO. The story should come as purely as possible, and pressuring him kind of tarnishes it.

Yeah, it is partially HBOs fault for trusting GRRM to deliver in a timely fashion. But I put a lot of the blame on him because it sounds like he misses deadlines all the time for his books. Michael Lombardo, the president of HBO programming, has stated he doesn't want to put the show on hiatus as they could lose key talent. From what I've read, GRRM has told Weiss and Benoiff the last couple arcs already so they know the end game. Would be interesting if HBO branches the show off on their own with perhaps only GRRM notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom