• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

I think it's safe to say he's now in the Enemyzone.

Am I the only one who doesn't see Jorah slinking back to Westeros just yet? I think he's going straight to Yunkai under fraudulent orders from Daeny. Whether he aides the siege to try and get back in her good graces, or sabatoges it, is anyone's guess.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This episode has made two of my favourite scenes this season completely pointless...

The 'I'll be your champion' scene, and Tyrion's 'trial by combat' speech.
They had a point. It was to get your hopes up so they could crush your spirit.

UrokeJoe

get

Not sure if posted.

This is the best.

Brofist

#dead

I only started watching GoT last year, this season's been great so far. I expected Oberyn to die, but not like that. Him not wearing a helmet really was foreshadowing.

As if at that range the mountain wouldn't have just snapped his neck like a twig or killed him in any variety of other ways.

Who's to say he'd have even lasted that long with a helmet, it may have even thrown off his fighting style.

Showaddy

Oberyn's Spear/Light Armour/No Helmet technique worked perfectly. It was the 'still salty about my sister getting raped & murdered 20 years ago' that screwed him.

RytGear

When Ayla's running away she hears metallic sword clatter to the ground, signifying the probable end of the battle. Syrio didn't have a metal weapon.

So he's likely alive? Disarmed by Syrio who then managed to escape Swift as a deer and because Merryn was too proud he didn't say that he got disarmed by a defenceless man.

One slip and down the hole we fall
It seems to take no time at all
A momentary lapse of reason
That binds a life for life
A small regret, you won't forget
There'll be no sleep in here tonight

Oh Oberyn. Pink Floyd eases the pain.

Yea, but how much is he taking up for resurrections? Cuz I think we can get a kickstarter on Oberyn Pascal's return.

Also YAY wolves conservation <3333333333

ASIS

The Oberyn vs Mountain denial video is great!

Finish your damn books. HBO is going to catch up and transitioning into a movie or set of movies is an awful idea. He knows he wont have the story done before HBO will need more content for episodes to air.

Wouldn't that be HBO's fault, though? The are the ones who picked to start a show based on a series that's half way done. He shouldn't be pressured into writing if he doesn't feel like it IMO. The story should come as purely as possible, and pressuring him kind of tarnishes it.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

This is the type of character Prince Oberyn represented to me. The avenging angel that would have brought balance to 4 seasons of good guy fuckery in Westeros. Now the clock is set back to 00:00, and we wait for another champion to take up the mantle of avenging hero. Goodbye sweet Prince, may the whores of the afterlife bring you comfort and peace.

Yea, but how much is he taking up for resurrections? Cuz I think we can get a kickstarter on Oberyn Pascal's return.

Also YAY wolves conservation <3333333333

Holy shit I just thought of something. Prince Oberyn mentions that he had spent time in Essos. What if he learned how to become a faceless man? Surely a bunch of guys that can change their faces at random, would have some sort of trick up their sleeve to come back from their head exploding right? :(

Nameless

This is the type of character Prince Oberyn represented to me. The avenging angel that would have brought balance to 4 seasons of good guy fuckery in Westeros. Now the clock is set back to 00:00, and we wait for another champion to take up the mantle of avenging hero. Goodbye sweet Prince, may the whores of the afterlife bring you comfort and peace.

Holy shit I just thought of something. Prince Oberyn mentions that he had spent time in Essos. What if he learned how to become a faceless man? Surely a bunch of guys that can change their faces at random, would have some sort of trick up their sleeve to come back from their head exploding right? :(

He's gone, Heshinsi.

There's no vengeance, no sweet justice. Shit happens and people die seems to be GoT's theme. I expect it to be like that to the bitter end.

Blader

It's clear that the avenging hero mantle isn't working out for anyone, so maybe we need to go a different route now.

Dark Sansa and god of death Arya seem like safer bets.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
well, he certainly is a faceless man now.

Ovid

I'm having second thoughts. I think Tyrion might live.

From the beetle story:

Tyrion tried to stop Orson Lannister from killing the beetles but he pushed him aside and kept on killing them. Keyword, pushed him aside. Tyrion then proceeds to place the beetle on the floor, unharmed.

This could be wishful thinking because I still can't figure out how he could possibly get himself out of this situation.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
You guys are right, and I'm just going through the process of getting that episode out of my mind. This show is nothing like I've witnessed before. It's hard to watch a piece of fiction and not get attached to the characters in some way, and naturally you gravitate to the guys that seem to be the nicest. Even characters like Jamie who straddle the line between decent guy and incredible asshole, are worth rooting for due to there being a sense they don't fully exist morally in a black or white zone. That there exists a tangible element of nobility in them. The brutal way this show deals with absolutely ripping apart everything you've ever thought made sense in scripted television, just knocks the wind clean out of your lungs and leaves your mind reeling trying to make sense of it all.

I've never cried before while watching a TV show until this episode. Stuff like Ned's execution, and the Red Wedding pissed me off, but I never found myself tearing up as the scenes played on the television. But with Oberyn, I sat there with my hands visibly shaking and my eyes watering as this fictional character was dispatched in the cruelest death scene I have witnessed in my life. There was no time to prepare myself like I was during the Stark deaths; it came on instantly and like an anvil to the head, I had no time brace myself. Ellara Sand's reaction mirrored my own, and for a moment I just sat there stunned. I think this is what makes this show so incredible. That although it abuses the living hell out of you by watching characters you like get torn to pieces, it can elicit such incredible emotions from its viewers.

Time to reassess how to view this show going forward. Probably just stick to supporting just 2 or 3 characters, and just letting everything else play out the way it's intended. Arya/Dany/Tyrion. Let's hope we don't go 0/2 this season cause I would seriously lose my mind lol

Oh and, so much for #theNorthRemembers. Am I to believe that all the other Stark bannermen have now sworn fealty to Lord Roose Bolton?

Heshinshi, Im with you though! Im with anyone who can bring Pedro Pascal back into the series, actually :D *honest*

Maybe Jaqen can switch face AGAIN into Pedro Pascal~ WHEEEE

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If Tyrion dies in episode 10 I'm done watching the show for about 40 weeks. I'm dead serious.

Yeah, I'm taking like a year long break, give or take a few months.

I don't even care for Tyrion much.

OH YOU

I thought the latest episode was some of the most amazing of the entire show so far and I planned to make a full recap, but job keeps piling on and I can't keep procrastinating, so I'll just leave the jiff I made for the ocasion.

ix82p0Z9Bir0q.gif

I can't wait to see this week's episode. Neil Marshall being at the helm pretty much ensures some cracking action, but it'll be hard to top the battle of Blackwater.

It's clear that the avenging hero mantle isn't working out for anyone, so maybe we need to go a different route now.

Dark Sansa and god of death Arya seem like safer bets.

Exactly, there are not supposed to be any avenging angels. This is not a world of Justice. A Westerosi superhero would be Judge Dredd not Batman. Thy only way good people survive is by mimicking the bad people and pulling a fast one on them.
Plus, if Oberyn survived, what exactly would have happened? We would be back to the same status quo with no change except Tyrion having earned a murderous hatred for everyone and Oberyn paying a victory visit to the brothel

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
FYI, this thread was 222 pages long before Oberyn's head was turned into slushy. Now it's 279 and will probably reach or get close to 300 before the next episode.

Carbonox

If Oberyn survived the fight he probably would have been merked in his sleep anyway. Guy would have had it tough to leave King's Landing regardless if he won. Tywin/Cersei wouldn't have abided by whatever laws are in place surrounding trial by combat given the accusations Oberyn was throwing around (though he didn't directly call out Tywin as being responsible, the implication was there).

I need a gif of The Mountain vs. The Hound. I'm convinced he's the only person that can go toe-to-toe with him in terms of strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaxzwlg9N_Q

Guy's got motherfucking "Thor" in his name. He could squat a plane.

Even though it's possible The Mountain is dead as well a part of me wants him to remain because of his uniqueness when it comes to warriors in Game of Thrones. He's a fucking monster and it is kind of fun to see him wreck bitches (rip in pieces oberyns sister). Sometimes a little carnage is all we need.

I was quite late with this episode and I heard people in my surrounding saying that it was another great one.

I knew Oberyn could fight. His arrogance just portrayed that but boy did his arrogance got the better of him.
The Mountain was a huge fellow and there was no way that he would have stayed down from a stab in the chest. Not him. Not in Game of Thrones.

That punch to the head just knocked him the fuck out. The scream just sent shivers down my spine, though.
I have seen a lot of brutal deaths in my time of movie watching, so I was not really shocked about the gore.

It was the complete surprise that got me. My brain was telling me that this was not going to end well, but within' 5 seconds my brain could just not cope with the swift 180 the end made.
Oberyn seeking justice for his sister, wanting to open up the dirty secrets of The Lannisters and then getting brutally murdered.

But that scream.. That scream.. It send shivers down my spine. That, coupled with Tyrion's reaction, just kinda ruined my afternoon off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom