• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized I spoiled something for myself about next episode and beyond. This time I didn't have to read a damned thing. Fuck! Why do I think about this show so much? Stupid brain, thinking about shit all the time.

So you thought of the future and were convinced you got it right?

People loved Oberyn so much. This is like if the Rock lost to John Cena after giving him 3 People's Elbows.
I'll never get over it. In regards to Ned banging someone, I'm sure it's going to be some big relevation so we should wait a bit more before finding out what exactly happened. This is why I think Jon will make it to the end and it will be book 7 where/if he dies and not before it. I think the revelation of who his mom is the plot armor that he has, similar to Danny having plot armor until she lands at Kings Landing and bran finally reaches the person who speaks to him.. which brings me to..
Just realized I spoiled something for myself about next episode and beyond. This time I didn't have to read a damned thing. Fuck! Why do I think about this show so much? Stupid brain, thinking about shit all the time.
Mods, please check his e-mail, is this Jojen or Bran? Ok so mods need to do a better job of letting GoT characters join the forum, it's getting crazy.

JesseZao

People loved Oberyn so much. This is like if the Rock lost to John Cena after giving him 3 People's Elbows.

That's the problem with actors with exceptional charisma. They are used for these types of roles because the audience bonds so quickly with them. The director/showrunners get maximum emotional effect when they're torn away for minimal investment.

Even though we know what happens to Sean Bean's characters, it still works everytime.

Not without reading into the reactions of others that is.

James-Franco-Confused-Look1.gif

Nameless

I understand Ned's revulsion at what the Lannisters had done at King's Landing. Yet this is the same Ned Stark that boned some chick right after getting married to his wife. Moral condemnation of Jamie (fuck Tywin. Not hard to condemn the shit he did) without a single moment to ask "why?", is a wee bit hypocritical in light of Ned's adulterous escapades. What if he came back to Winterfell and Cat passed judgement on him in the same fashion he did to Jamie? I doubt the thought even crossed his mind.

I don't subscribe to the idea that all sins are equal. Cheating on a woman you barely know is considerably less treacherous than murdering a king as dishonorably as possible or slaughtering women and children. While Ned did indeed break his vow and stain his honor, I'd arguing that bearing that blight and raising Jon Snow with as much love as his legitimate children, instead of casting his poor bastard aside like so many other men had and would have done so as not to sully their good name, is an even greater testament to his honor.

Had Tywin taken King's Landing with more finesse, and say, secured the Mad King's family in their quarters, I feel like Ned would have been more willing to hear Jaime's account of Aerys's death.

Braag

Don't think like that...
Last time I thought like that was before the previous episode. I had convinced myself that Oberyn will win against The Mountain. I had all ready come to that conclusion cause The Mountain was a minor character in the series and kinda has served his purpose so it was his time to die. Whereas Oberyn still had a lot of stuff to do before his time comes to die. I even told my friend who had read the books that I'm certain Oberyn will win against the mountain and he only answered with "well Oberyn is a pretty good fighter"... He didn't deny it and he didn't seem surprised either so I thought to myself okay now I'm totally 100% sure he will win and the Lannisters will try to plot to kill Oberyn as he's too big of a threat which will cause a conflict between their families.
During the episode after Oberyn finally stabbed The Mountain in the chest I was quite proud of myself that I had figured it out that he would win against him easily and was pretty much taking the victory drink when suddenly his head got squashed.
I can't think of the last time I was so fucking shocked about anything cause I was so sure that I knew how things would work out.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't subscribe to the idea that all sins are equal. Cheating on a woman you barely know is considerably less treacherous than murdering a king as dishonorably as possible or slaughtering women and children. While Ned did indeed break his vow and stain his honor, I'd arguing that bearing that blight and raising Jon Snow with as much love as his legitimate children, instead of casting his poor bastard aside like so many other men had and would have done so as not to sully their good name, is an even greater testament to his honor.

Had Tywin taken King's Landing with more finesse, and say, secured the Mad King's family in their quarters, I feel like Ned would have been more willing to hear Jaime's account of Aerys's death.

The Mad King killed Ned's father and older brother. Would it really take all that much for Ned to even float the idea, that the Mad King may have been in the middle of doing/ordering some fucked up things before Jaime killed him? This is why Ned is so stupid in the grand scheme of things. Him of all people should know how batshit crazy King Aerys was, yet here he is telling Jaime, "why'd you kill the king man? If anyone else killed that crazy old fuck, it will be ok. But because you did it, I'm going to start calling you Kingslayer, because honour and reasons"

The Mad King killed Ned's father and older brother. Would it really take all that much for Ned to even float the idea, that the Mad King may have been in the middle of doing/ordering some fucked up things before Jaime killed him? This is why Ned is so stupid in the grand scheme of things. Him of all people should know how batshit crazy King Aerys was, yet here he is telling Jaime, "why'd you kill the king man? If anyone else killed that crazy old fuck, it will be ok. But because you did it, I'm going to start calling you Kingslayer, because honour and reasons"
You can't blame Ned for Jaime not explaining himself. Jaime had too much pride to tell him and was too judgemental at the same time without seeing what Ned's reaction would be. Why would Ned try to figure it out when the man responsible isn't telling him anything?

You can't blame Ned for Jaime not explaining himself. Jaime had too much pride to tell him and was too judgemental at the same time without seeing what Ned's reaction would be. Why would Ned try to figure it out when the man responsible isn't telling him anything?

To be fair, the last person we saw explain themselves to Ned got their head chopped off.

Damn, re-watching that scene broke my heart all over again. Was such a rad fucking fight as well though.

It is. If anything, it proved that Mountain is not invincible despite the crazy stories about him. He can be beaten, just like Bronn mentioned. He also mentioned one false move could be fatal, which exactly what happened with Oberyn.

Nameless

Ned no doubt wanted the Mad King to answer for his crimes and face justice for killing his family. Justice that, from his perspective, was stolen from him by the Lannisters in the same breath as they forever tainted the noble & just rebellion he and Robert had fought so laboriously to win. A treacherous villain slain from behind by another treacherous villain. As we saw with Arya's reaction to Joffrey's poisioning, that he was dead in and of itself couldn't have been particularly satisfying. Similarly, had The Mountain been killed in his sleep by one of his own men, Oberyn would have found little to no solace in his death. To Ned his vengeance was just another thing the Lannisters pillaged and sacked.

No accent?

Damn actors and their accents. Got me again.

Fun fact about accent for Oberyn, it wasn't specified for the character, but when Pedro read about the part he thought that Oberyn needed to sound different than the rest of the characters in Kings Landing, so he did the accent for his audition and David and Dan loved it.

Now it'll probably be the basis for any Dornish characters that may come up in the future.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Fun fact about accent for Oberyn, it wasn't specified for the character, but when Pedro read about the part he thought that Oberyn needed to sound different than the rest of the characters in Kings Landing, so he did the accent for his audition and David and Dan loved it.

Now it'll probably be the basis for any Dornish characters that may come up in the future.

Prince Oberyn would lose quite a bit of his swag if he spoke English in the same accent as other Westerosians like Mr. Friendzone. Thank you Pedro for an absolutely beautiful portrayal.

I'm not sure if this was brought up before, but I was discussing the last episode with my friend earlier and he got me thinking..If Roose Bolton (a dipshit asshole traitor) could give his name to his bastard son, why didn't the all honorable and great Ned Stark do the same to Jon?

Mr.Mike

I'm not sure if this was brought up before, but I was discussing the last episode with my friend earlier and he got me thinking..If Roose Bolton (a dipshit asshole traitor) could give his name to his bastard son, why didn't the all honorable and great Ned Stark do the same to Jon?

If Ned Stark had legitimized Jon, Jon would have been heir to Winterfell. Of course Catelyn was probably expecting her son to be heir to Winterfell. So he probably didn't do it for Catelyn's sake.

Anything GOT related on the internet is never safe to read.

listen to this man. This thread and this thread only

legitimizing a kid from another women won't make your wife extremely happy with you.

Showaddy

It's pretty rare to legitimise bastards; Ramsay is Roose's only child though so he becomes his heir whilst Ned had 5 children already.

Your answers are legit guys, and it was noted to me that legitimizing bastards can only be done by requesting it from the king, but still..Catelyn grew to like Jon, who was liked by his brothers, especially Bran, so err..it might be a crazy theory but something tells me that (JUST A SPECULATION, NOT A SPOILER)
Jon is not really Ned's bastard, it just doesn't make sense to me that Ned would have a bastard, its just not like him I guess

hwateber

Your answers are legit guys, and it was noted to me that legitimizing bastards can only be done by requesting it from the king, but still..Catelyn grew to like Jon, who was liked by his brothers, especially Bran, so err..it might be a crazy theory but something tells me that (JUST A SPECULATION, NOT A SPOILER)
Jon is not really Ned's bastard, it just doesn't make sense to me that Ned would have a bastard, its just not like him I guess

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Catelyn said she promised to love Jon and convince Ned to give him his name. She then said she wasn't able to keep that promise, so I'm pretty sure she never grew to care for Jon. I think this was evident in their last encounter before Jon left for the wall

Curufinwe

After almost a week to process it I think it would have been better if Oberyn kept more of a distance at the end of the fight but the Mountain somehow made a huge lunge sideways and was able to grab him by the leg. The way he just kind of leaned over and pulled him down was a bit lame.

Showaddy

After almost a week to process it I think it would have been better if Oberyn kept more of a distance at the end of the fight but the Mountain somehow made a huge lunge sideways and was able to grab him by the leg. The way he just kind of leaned over and pulled him down was a bit lame.

I think they could have shown him groaning & struggling a bit whilst he was on the ground, the sudden snap from completely motionless to KILL MODE was to sudden. Looked like Oberyn was screaming at a corpse for most of his monologue...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Catelyn said she promised to love Jon and convince Ned to give him his name. She then said she wasn't able to keep that promise, so I'm pretty sure she never grew to care for Jon. I think this was evident in their last encounter before Jon left for the wall

I think this is pretty accurate from what I remember, and I don't find it that hard to believe. He isn't her kid and basically is a constant reminder of Ned's infidelities.

Having rewatched the beginning of season 1 today, I can say with absolute certainty that Catelyn detested Jon, and her last words to him when he was saying his goodbye to Bran was to GTFO.

Ned also has a conversation with Robert where he reminisces about sleeping with Jon's mother. Basically, the rationale was that they were at war and didn't think they'd come out alive. So, he had a moment of weakness.

I hate catching editing continuity errors in shows I like. I rewatched the end of the last episode and now can't unsee Oberyn's spear switching hands and directions every cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom