• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loakum

Banned
No means no. I believe anyone that does that in anything other than Game of Thrones, will undoubtedly will be seen as a the villain of that series.

I really find it interesting how Jamie's misdeeds are forgiven, but Reek (Theon Greyjoy) aren't. I guess it's just me, because I find myself feeling sorry for Reek. He is the Gollum of Game of Thrones, IMO.

Loakum

Banned
You know that's not going to happen right? I mean... it is Episode 9.

I hear episode #10 is gonna be the doozy this year. I think this year's episode #9
is gonna be a full on battle, like Blackwater was. At least that's the impression I got from the preview.

I really find it interesting how Jamie's misdeeds are forgiven, but Reek (Theon Greyjoy) aren't. I guess it's just me, because I find myself feeling sorry for Reek. He is the Gollum of Game of Thrones, IMO.

That's because he is an idiot. At least Jaime had some important reasons, he does it for the good of Kings landing or at least what he think it is.

Theon however did to gain the respect of his deadbeat father. Who btw didn't did a shit to get him out of Stark family. Tywin lannister profesional super douche, raise a war to get Tyrion and ended another to get his two sons. That was just years after it happened and he is not even a king.

Theon father is a king of a shitty ass place and then gets all judgemental of him and he bought it. He never got the respect of his men neither and did everything to impress someone that didn't gave two shots about him and bretayed the land that actually saw him grow. Then his father didn't even tried to get him after he was captured. Man what a sad existence for a character. I hope that storyline goes somewhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jamie murdered his cousin in the cage

Sorry but how is that not villainous ?

That was before is redemption arc in the show duh*

* not really, he's still a huge dick, he's just a lot less of a dick in comparison to the other Lannisters, and probably the only one in kIngs landing who genuinely cares for Tyrion, which is why he's sort of become more likeable.

Oh, right. I forgot about the bath scene. That whole sequence showed that there was actually some good in Jaime. Excuse me for my lack know-how on that regard. So much stuff has happened in the past 2 seasons that I forgot some information.

and the whole saving Brienne about 2-3 times on their travels together (from the bear and from being raped, etc.)

Interesting that people just take Jaime word that Ned judged him. Even though he never bothered to explain himself or tell anyone his reasons, but people are just supposed to believe him no questions asked, and if they do that means they never would have believed him any way.

Seems to me it was Jaime who judged Ned, because he was too proud to actually explain himself, "By what right does the wolf judge the lion?" and all that. And then tried to justify his pride and lack of explaining himself with "Oh, he already judged me, he never would have believed my explanation anyway".

Jaime is a dick, he's not a meglomanic like Tywin or a narcissist like Cersei, but he still suffers the same fault that all Lannisters suffers from, including Tyrion, too much pride.

Khaz

If Tyrion doesn't die, he has the biggest plot armour this show would have ever seen. Bigger than Bran's or Sam's. I mean, if he can write off major characters with a misstep or an infected wound, how come a guy sentenced to death and kept under high surveillance can survive? Don't get me wrong I like the guy. But GRRRRM is a sadist.

Yeah I hope that's just a red herring, same with the little boy at the Wall killing Ygritte. The show's foreshadowing isn't typically that heavy handed.

I don't remember that, when was it?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think the trick to judging the morality of any character here is their world represents a grim, relatively realistic portrayal of such a society. The value of life itself is different.

So for instance, by Westeros standards Tyrion isn't just a nice guy. He's friggin' John F. Kennedy. Jaime taking the life of his cousin wouldn't necessarily hold the same irredeemable moral taint that such an act would in real life modern society. Life is a lot cheaper in a brutal medieval culture.

In the same light, Tywin is just good at being ruthless, and Cersei strikes me as a typical, somewhat crazed and neurotic member of royalty. I think you have to be a Ramsay Bolton before you are considered vile. (Even then, many contemporaries would likely consider Ramsay "distasteful and indiscreet" rather than evil.) The common morality would be more concerned with violating social pacts than abusing individual lives. In that sense Roose Bolton and Walder Frey arranging the Red Wedding would have them seen as villains more than someone who "only" kills people. Even then, some might consider them justified since Robb broke a contract himself by refusing to marry a Frey.

Not to apologize for the actions of the characters from the perspective of the viewer. Just considering how in the context of the story, noble and villainous are very grey.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Besides being an overall unpleasant lady what has Cersei done? I don't remember she killing anyone. But my memory is a bit foggy.

Maybe she's stoked the fires of abuse and hatred. She sort of occupies an "evil vizier" role but in context she's not even that bad.

Besides being an overall unpleasant lady what has Cersei done? I don't remember she killing anyone. But my memory is a bit foggy.
"there's a plot assassination for someone at King's Landing, and it's a special case since Cersei can't be one of the people responsible" para-phrasing but coming from Tyrion. Though it's unclear, she may have played a role in Robert's death on top of potentially children she may have had with him as well.

After his adventure with Brienne he raped his sister in front of her recently decease child (his son btw). That's insane.

You can't use that against him. The director has already said it wasn't meant to be a rape scene. With that in mind, it was clearly..poorly directed.

If Tyrion doesn't die, he has the biggest plot armour this show would have ever seen. Bigger than Bran's or Sam's. I mean, if he can write off major characters with a misstep or an infected wound, how come a guy sentenced to death and kept under high surveillance can survive? Don't get me wrong I like the guy. But GRRRRM is a sadist.

Did you just spoil something? :(

You can't use that against him. The director has already said it wasn't meant to be a rape scene. With that in mind, it was clearly..poorly directed.

I didn't knew that, it looked like he forced himself on her.

Did you just spoil something? :(

It was that guy that got a slight cut then Daneyris had a witch to heal him and she kill him. Or at least that's what I think, the ground didn't look that bad.

Ein Bear

I'd be curious to read the original script for the Jamie 'rape' scene, seems hard to believe the director could mess it up that badly.

Is book discussion completely off-limits in this thread, even for past events? It'd be interesting to hear from a book-reader how it was portrayed there.

I think the trick to judging the morality of any character here is their world represents a grim, relatively realistic portrayal of such a society. The value of life itself is different.

So for instance, by Westeros standards Tyrion isn't just a nice guy. He's friggin' John F. Kennedy. Jaime taking the life of his cousin wouldn't necessarily hold the same irredeemable moral taint that such an act would in real life modern society. Life is a lot cheaper in a brutal medieval culture.

In the same light, Tywin is just good at being ruthless, and Cersei strikes me as a typical, somewhat crazed and neurotic member of royalty. I think you have to be a Ramsay Bolton before you are considered vile. (Even then, many contemporaries would likely consider Ramsay "distasteful and indiscreet" rather than evil.) The common morality would be more concerned with violating social pacts than abusing individual lives. In that sense Roose Bolton and Walder Frey arranging the Red Wedding would have them seen as villains more than someone who "only" kills people. Even then, some might consider them justified since Robb broke a contract himself by refusing to marry a Frey.

Not to apologize for the actions of the characters from the perspective of the viewer. Just considering how in the context of the story, noble and villainous are very grey.
If we are going by Political similarities, Tommen is W and Tywin is Dick Cheney.

Gestahl

I'd be curious to read the original script for the Jamie 'rape' scene, seems hard to believe the director could mess it up that badly.

Is book discussion completely off-limits in this thread, even for past events? It'd be interesting to hear from a book-reader how it was portrayed there.

I'm not going to bring up anything but there's a reason people are confused about Jaime's apparent redemption arc and it sure as hell isn't the original material's fault. That's all I'll say.

Loxley

Here's something I haven't thought about...about how much time has passed within the context of the show since the beginning of Season 1?

I hear episode #10 is gonna be the doozy this year. I think this year's episode #9
is gonna be a full on battle, like Blackwater was
. At least that's the impression I got from the preview.

Come on!

Spoiler tag preview talk, it's in the rules. Some of us don't watch it on purpose.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Think about it from Ned's perspective, though. He gets to King's Landing and the Lannisters have sacked the the city, terrorized the innocent, and brutally murdered the Royal Family, children included. Wouldn't it make sense for Ned to judge Jaime stabbing the King he'd vowed to protect in the back in the same context as the other deplorable dishonorable atrocities commited by the Lannister family that day?

I understand Ned's revulsion at what the Lannisters had done at King's Landing. Yet this is the same Ned Stark that boned some chick right after getting married to his wife. Moral condemnation of Jamie (fuck Tywin. Not hard to condemn the shit he did) without a single moment to ask "why?", is a wee bit hypocritical in light of Ned's adulterous escapades. What if he came back to Winterfell and Cat passed judgement on him in the same fashion he did to Jamie? I doubt the thought even crossed his mind.

I understands Ned's revulsion at what the Lannisters had done at King's Landing. Yet this is the same Ned Stark that boned some chick right after getting married to his wife. Moral condemnation of Jamie (fuck Tywin. Not hard to condemn the shit he did) without a single moment to ask "why?", is wee bit hypocritical in light of Ned's adulterous escapades. What if he came back to Winterfell and Cat passed judgement on him in the same fashion he did to Jamie? I doubt the thought even crossed his mind.
I am thinking there is more to Jon Snow's mom than some random whore Ned ploughed in one of his campaigns. Ned says to Jon Snow that he will tell him about his mom, and I felt there was more to it.

JesseZao

I am thinking there is more to Jon Snow's mom than some random whore Ned ploughed in one of his campaigns. Ned says to Jon Snow that he will tell him about his mom, and I felt there was more to it.

I bet there is something significant about his mom. Something like she was a targaryen. Jon and dany to join forces or something could make them interesting again.

I hope Cercei is Jon Snow's mom.
If that were true, everybody's reaction would pretty much be
252649.gif

Cyan

Banned
I bet there is something significant about his mom. Something like she was a targaryen. Jon and dany to join forces or something could make them interesting again.

Nah, it was Elia Martell.

Ned raped her, murdered her, and killed her children.

Something like that, anyway.

JesseZao

Nah, it was Elia Martell.

Ned raped her, murdered her, and killed her children.

Something like that, anyway.

I couldn't help but read that as if you were yelling. Martel/stark union could be interesting. Jon the last child alive of hers.

Heshinsi

Well Ned's sister was with Dany's bro right? That's what started this whole war. If there's something significant about his mom, I'm guessing it's that. Why else would Ned hide who the mom is? Also, what tavern whore would know exactly which dude popped a baby in her, and then go to the trouble of finding him? It's not like she had Ned on speed dial lol

Hey baby, how's the war going?

I'm kinda a little busy here Joanna, sorta trying to beat the Lannisters to Kings Landing. What's up?

I'm sorry, not a good time?

Ahh, it really isn't. But why'd you call?

Remember when you came over and went all direwolf on me?

Yeah.

Well...

Don't you fucking say it!

It's a boy, and he's yours.

FFFFUUUUUUU!

turnbuckle

I bet Lysa is Jon Snow's real mom and her weakling child was planted there by LittleFinger as he swapped them at birth. The timelines probably don't line up as Jon Snow seems older, but that's all a part of that long con.

televator

Just realized I spoiled something for myself about next episode and beyond. This time I didn't have to read a damned thing. Fuck! Why do I think about this show so much? Stupid brain, thinking about shit all the time.

Heshinsi

So there's a bar in Chicago that does Game of Thrones on Sunday nights. Watching so many people collectively reacting to the last episode is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vob2_MSpXQc

Man, I've got to find out if there's a bar around me that does this.

People loved Oberyn so much. This is like if the Rock lost to John Cena after giving him 3 People's Elbows. "Just pin him rock! Stop asking him if he smells what the Rock is cooking! PIN HIM!!"

*after Cena miraculously recovers and beats the shit out of the Rock

"My God! He's broken in half!...That man had a family!!!"

UZF45uE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom