• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

I had Robb's death spoiled for me thanks to Twitch chat. I now use various extensions to disable comments/chat on all webpages. Too many lowlifes out there.

Loakum

Banned
I had Robb's death spoiled for me thanks to Twitch chat. I now use various extensions to disable comments/chat on all webpages. Too many lowlifes out there.

I had King Joffery's death spoiled to me on IGN comments section. What made it worst, it was the comments section about Drive Club.

Sajjaja

I had King Joffery's death spoiled to me on IGN comments section. What made it worst, it was the comments section about Drive Club.

Yeah, I clicked a picture which had nothing to do with GOT on Facebook for IGN the night the episode aired and one of the comments was "Joffrey's dead."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Red Wedding was the worst. Visiting my parents, stuck on their slow as fuck mobile broadband, no way of watching the episode for a handful of days. Had to avoid Facebook/twitter like the plague. Television too. I remember the morning I was heading back to Melbourne I was in my folks lounge room packing my bag, the TV was on, and the fucking morning show was talking about it. BRHGHG,.

DarkKyo

The Red Wedding was spoiled for me in a Dota match. As soon as everyone connected to the match someone on the other team dropped the bomb >:/

EmiPrime

Red Wedding was the worst. Visiting my parents, stuck on their slow as fuck mobile broadband, no way of watching the episode for a handful of days. Had to avoid Facebook/twitter like the plague. Television too. I remember the morning I was heading back to Melbourne I was in my folks lounge room packing my bag, the TV was on, and the fucking morning show was talking about it. BRHGHG,.

You had it much worse than me then, I only knew Robb would die (nobody else) so it still had a lot of impact. In your place I would be completely distraught.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You had it much worse than me then, I only knew Robb would die (nobody else) so it still had a lot of impact. In your place I would be completely distraught.

I managed to avoid specific spoilers, but it didn't matter, because the picture painted gave me enough evidence to know more or less what was going to happen. I knew there was a wedding, and I knew shit went down, it was tragic, people were miserable, something something Starks and Lannasters.

Yeah, I clicked a picture which had nothing to do with GOT on Facebook for IGN the night the episode aired and one of the comments was "Joffrey's dead."
This is how I had Joffrey's death spoiled to me. I think two people mentioned Purple Wedding before his wedding, then went on fb to ask people for a stream for help and saw just "JOFFREY" in caps. I already suspected someone big was going to die in this wedding, that pretty much killed it. The episode was really spectacular, but it wasn't as good as episode 8 this season because I was spoiled.

Can someone explain to these utter douchebag human beings how stating Purple Wedding is something that not every person with logic can figure out that some big things are going to happen?

I've had a few things spoiled this season. Since last season, I assumed Tyrion would kill Joffrey since I read a comment, great troll comment by whoever did that (I'm kidding by the way, fuck that guy). I think I knew what Stannis was doing with the gold since he went to Bravos by a sentence someone gave to me. I know Arya's destination. I also have 2 spoilers, one smallish, and another might either be related to episode 10 or something that will happen next season, and I can see that happening now with the events of this season. It's been a bitch not even attempting to mention anything or formulating any theory on here with that short sentence I read. But if whatever happens this season and that guy on youtube wasn't trolling, than 2/3 biggest events have been spoiled to me and I'll be very disappointed. Generally I haven't been spoiled on almost anything in the previous 3 seasons bar something small here and there, so I'm irritated it's happened this season considering that it's better than the previous 3 so far. Some of the spoiled events have just really hurt watching, compared to the surprises this season...

ReiGun

You had it much worse than me then, I only knew Robb would die (nobody else) so it still had a lot of impact.

Same here. I accidentally clicked the book thread when I was catching up on the show during season 3 and found out Robb and Caitlyn were going to die at The Twins. That was all I knew, though. I can't imagine having the whole thing spoiled for me. In general, I'm pretty good about avoiding spoilers, but I also don't care that much about spoilers. Hell, sometimes I get bored and go poking around the book wiki just reading shit. :p I can't do the spoiler phobia and constant tiptoeing around with this show anymore. Can't even type a character's name into google without being shook.

I do wonder how people who get into the show now will react to the Red and "Purple" Weddings. Spoilers about them are plastered all over the internet by now, so even if you don't know the full context, you pretty much know what's going to happen. Both moments are probably still impactful, but not in the same way.

Nerokis

This is how I had Joffrey's death spoiled to me. I think two people mentioned Purple Wedding before his wedding, then went on fb to ask people for a stream for help and saw just "JOFFREY" in caps. I already suspected someone big was going to die in this wedding, that pretty much killed it. The episode was really spectacular, but it wasn't as good as episode 8 this season because I was spoiled.

His death was spoiled for me on a Ubisoft/Watch_Dogs stream, of all things. I wasn't even that interested in the game, but I was curious how they'd respond to the whole downgrade debacle. Not only was the stream a dramatic waste of time, but someone took it upon themselves to drop "joffrey dies" during it.

Still loved the episode, though. It was just executed so well, and I wasn't expecting him to die during it at all. Not having the "Purple Wedding" context definitely helped.

Cyan

Banned
Fucking hell I did it again, read the wrong thread and spoiled the next episode.

gjlPodT.png

kingkitty

fb friend spoiled Joffrey's death in her status, in all caps. This was like 3 hours after the ep aired.

And her defense was "well the books came out years ago man"

Yeah but you don't even read the fucking books.

I'm still salty about it.

The same sorta thing happened to me with The Good Wife. The big mid-season twist got spoiled because, for whatever reason, the recording for that night's episode was The Great Race instead. Next day, I went to post my frustration in the GAF thread, and then knew something happened to a particular character. Damn. Hurriedly went to the CBS site to try and find the next air date for the episode, and right there on the main page for the show, the entire hyped twist laid bare.

His death was spoiled for me on a Ubisoft/Watch_Dogs stream, of all things. I wasn't even that interested in the game, but I was curious how they'd respond to the whole downgrade debacle. Not only was the stream a dramatic waste of time, but someone took it upon themselves to drop "joffrey dies" during it.

Still loved the episode, though. It was just executed so well, and I wasn't expecting him to die during it at all. Not having the "Purple Wedding" context definitely helped.
That's a shame. It really is becoming a big problem with people just ruining the fun of others this way.

The same sorta thing happened to me with The Good Wife. The big mid-season twist got spoiled because, for whatever reason, the recording for that night's episode was The Great Race instead. Next day, I went to post my frustration in the GAF thread, and then knew something happened to a particular character. Damn. Hurriedly went to the CBS site to try and find the next air date for the episode, and right there on the main page for the show, the entire hyped twist laid bare.
WOW, that is freaking horrible! That twist was one of the biggest twists in years. My jaw hit the floor when it happened. I feel really sorry for you, at least with Joffrey when I had it spoiled, I still knew it was just a matter of time.

In regards to subbing, I just go top right to account > my posts > more than half my posts are about GoT, it just takes me here. :S

By the way, cannot wait for episode 9. I really hope it's as epic as it can be. I need something to remedy Oberyn's death.

komplanen

I am physically shaken and shocked at the ending of the last episode. I just watched it and can't believe how I was not spoiled in the past week :)

I mean fuuuuuuuuuck...

The way they build characters in this show is just the best thing I've seen in television. Every single arrogant and confident line, gigolo like attitude, and fancy moves from his appearances in this season has all been built for the sole purpose of fucking him up in the last scene. I am in shock.

Also on a side note that scene with Sansa in the black feathered dress smiling at Baelish is also some next level shit yo.

This show mang. This show.

komplanen

fb friend spoiled Joffrey's death in her status, in all caps. This was like 3 hours after the ep aired.

And her defense was "well the books came out years ago man"

Yeah but you don't even read the fucking books.

I'm still salty about it.

Is she invested in the show? If so, you know what to do :)

I usually go back to watch clips of my favorite moments, and sometimes I'll read the comments like a fool.
I'm pretty sure I've been spoiled on a few key plot points by YouTube book readers, but luckily I don't know when they're coming so it's not too annoying.

Speaking of old clips.
I completely forgot that Renly called Stannis a ham when they were negotiating. I was laughing my ass off for a good minute at that line.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So I rewatched the lead up to Prince Oberyn's death frame by frame, and I realised why the way he died pisses me off more than any other death on the show.

So even before Oberyn falls (he's still talking at this point, and the mountain doesn't swipe him till Oberyn is look towards Tywin), you can see the Mountain with his hands clearly around his ankle. Oberyn continues to talk for one more frame oblivious to a giant holding his ankle.

Then the mountain pulls his legs from under him and he falls. The Mountain's hands are raised over his chest.

Why is the Prince laying flat on his back? More than a few seconds go by. Am I supposed to believe that the guy that was cartwheeling over swords is now unable to roll away. As you notice the mountain's hands are still raised.

The whole fight they have been showing us how fast Obeyrn was, and how big and slow the Mountain is. Yet the Prince just lays there and gives the Mountain enough time to put his hands underneath his neck? Very next frames. Sorry for the blurriness, I couldn't get a clear freeze.

I get it that they wanted to have him die, but that whole sequence was cheap as balls. It makes no sense that he wouldn't roll away. He had ample enough time too, and he's been thrown and then rolled from a sword strike in the same fight multiple times.

Rorschach

I get it that they wanted to have him die, but that whole sequence was cheap as balls. It makes no sense that he wouldn't roll away. He had ample enough time too, and he's been thrown and then rolled from a sword strike in the same fight multiple times.
Having the wind knocked out of you, getting a concussion... there are ways to explain it away.

Radec

Hey guys, we're 1 day away from Tyrion's fist ever dream sequence and premonition.

He'll wake up and warn Oberyn about him slipping, the confession, and make sure he kills the mountain.

Khaz

I suppose I'm an idiot for not even thinking about that lol

No you're right, his death is cheap, like the author wanted him dead and couldn't think of a better way to do it. I heard GRRM says he just puts his characters in situations and let the story evolve organically, but in reality he just writes them off whenever he feels like it. And not even in believable ways.

Oberyn needs to die for the story to keep going? Fine, but at least make it plausible.

Holy shirt

ftfy

demolitio

24 hours from now, I'll still be talking about episode 9 non-stop refusing to go to sleep.

I hope it's time for the thing I've been talking about all season to finally happen. It's got episode 9 potential written all over it.

Edit: Sleeping pills doing their job I see. :D

suzu

Oberyn needs to die for the story to keep going? Fine, but at least make it plausible.

I don't see how the fight wasn't believable. If it looks off.. well, isn't that suppose to be the show's job to convey it right and not the author? lol

EatChildren

No you're right, his death is cheap, like the author wanted him dead and couldn't think of a better way to do it. I heard GRRM says he just puts his characters in situations and let the story evolve organically, but in reality he just writes them off whenever he feels like it. And not even in believable ways.

Deaths of significant characters are frequently believable in the world of Game of Thrones.

Ned: Tried to gamble on a money game to politically overthrow one of the most wealthy and ruthless house in Westeros that also held the throne. Executed for treason by a psychopath.
Rob: Played his military politics hand poorly and was backed into a corner, relying in the aid of man he'd betrayed/insulted, one notorious for not staying loyal. Assassinated along with his mother and wife as consequence of someone smarter, his military opposition, playing their cards better.
Joffrey: Sociopath king who'd long cultivated negative perception from other houses and the people he ruled. Erratic, dangerous, irrational, and being a king also a prime target (like many kings before him). Assassinated for political gain.
Robert: Assassinated by a house that wanted him out of the picture. Political gain.
Renly: Assassinated by magic at the will of his older brother. Political gain. As far as Stannis was concerned he was by no stretch of the imagination the rightful king of Westeros and Renly was a traitor.
Drogo: Serious wound festered. Put out of misery by his missus.

All of these deaths came about through organic storytelling. Like the Red Wedding, for example, and how the point was drilled in that Roose isn't entirely trustworthy, Walder Frey is bitter and vengeful, and Rob was in a vulnerable military position due to his own leadership fuck ups.

EatChildren

Should have worn a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom