• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

Regarding the "Is Tywin Lannister a real genius?" question, he may not be the best general/tactician (and even here i disagree, it's not that losing some battles means you're losing the war, not till the end), but sure as hell between the Bolton/Frey deal and the marriages of his sons he is the finest politician (unlike Varys or Little Finger who plots but barely make any concrete shit). And in the long game, that's what matters.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Why is called the Onion Knight?

Oh and only show/DVD background stuff please.

He smuggled onions into Storms End when Stannis was under siege during the rebellion. (I think it was the rebellion)

Vagabundo

Regarding the "Is Tywin Lannister a real genius?" question, he may not be the best general/tactician (and even here i disagree, it's not that losing some battles means you're losing the war, not till the end), but sure as hell between the Bolton/Frey deal and the marriages of his sons he is the finest politician (unlike Varys or Little Finger who plots but barely make any concrete shit). And in the long game, that's what matters.

He's was we like to call an "all rounder".

He smuggled onions into Storms End when Stannis was under siege during the rebellion. (I think it was the rebellion)

Ahh makes sense. Onion's eh, not sure I would like to live on them alone. Still any port in a famine.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Regarding the Red Wedding. Whatever happened to
the guy who was actually getting married?
did I miss that or do we just not know at the moment?

Edwardo

They mention once or twice that they locked him in the dungeon. Edmure Tully is his name.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I wanna say that he's locked up in a dungeon.

I believe balton and Frey briefly talked about it on the episode that followed the red wedding.

Nameless

Funny, I was actually talking with a friend about Robb's mistakes during the war last night.

The Freys are no threat? The Twins are one of the most important strategic locations in Westeros, as it is the quickest way between the North and the Riverlands. Walder Frey is an extremely powerful and rich lord who has an enormous army.
And even the people in King's Landing know that Walder Frey is a man who doesn't take lightly to being scorned. After all, even years after Robert's Rebellion, he remembered that line of Hoster Tully's, "the late lord Frey", and was incredibly bitter over it, let alone the fact that many other Riverlords, first and foremost the Tullys, always shit on him. Catelyn even warned Robb about Walder Frey, I think even multiple times. She knew that crossing him could have dire consequences. Rickard Karstark knew, too.

Yet, instead of doing what he promised to do as payment for his forces crossing the Twins when marching south, he married out of "love".

In this case, Tywin was entirely correct: The House that has its family in the interest of their actions will always triumph over the house that bends to the whims and wishes of their children.

The Greyjoys would've never joined up with Robb. Ever. They hate the Starks, because they were one of the leading forces to crush Balon's attempted independence during Robert's Rebellion, and they took Balon's son from him. Yet Robb sent Theon, said son, to the Iron Islands, to tell him that his forces all were marching south.
It was literally sending a message to a burglar and telling him that you're not at home right now.

A wise king. A king who knows that if he loses half of his remaining army, he's guaranteed to lose the war. Catelyn told him not to kill Karstark. Talisa told him not to kill Karstark. Blackfish told him not to kill Karstark. Fucking Edmure told him not to kill Karstark. They told him to keep him as a hostage, so the Karstarks remain loyal at least until the war is over. But he went against the advice of all of the people around him and killed him anyway. It was a spur of the moment, rooted in his own hurt pride and anger.
And it was hypocritical, too - he didn't (really) punish Catelyn for freeing Jaimie Lannister, either.

No they didn't, Talisa isn't a Westerling, she's a lady from Volantis. The Westerlings weren't even mentioned on the show.

Of course you don't 'see' the specifics coming, which is why he was so stupid. You need to set yourself up to have backups. He kept making decisions that removed support from his army until he was forced to crawl to the person he had pissed off the most in the first place. He was WARNED about this the entire way, since basically the start of the war, and he let it happen anyway. Walder Frey has a large army and is important, you don't fuck him over. The Karstarks have a large army and are important, don't fuck them over. If you fuck them over, you'll now have to beg Frey, who you have already fucked over.

This shit isn't rocket science, he ruined his own plans because he was selfish, essentially.

so, according to you, winning a war doesnt make one automatically a genious, but losing battles make one automatically a fool?
come on, you just argue for the sake of arguing

No, I dont, and never did.
All I'm saying is that it wasnt a move of force, but a move of cunning and calculation.

Joffrey-Baratheon-Claps-On-The-Throne-In-Game-Of-Thrones-Gif.gif

Edwardo

By the way, at which point did Bolton go with the Lannisters? Or was he always with them?

I don't think anything is mentioned, but the closest thing i'd say is when he decides to send Jaime back to King's Landing. I believe he says something about being in the Lannister's favor or something close to that.

Philippo

So when was that Beric Dondarrion met Thoros of Myr and started that undying-thing?
I remember Ned sending him somewhere (maybe looking for the Mountain) and, although different actor, he looked fine, scarless.
So since then he met Thoros and "died" like 5-6 times? In what, a bit more than a year?

PFD

Pretty good episode. I watched it in a pub which was fun because everyone laughed at funny parts and ooed when there was a sick burn. It was like super quiet as well because everyone was trying to listen to the dialogue. Though I've been quite ill recently, and about 5 or ten minutes in I needed to have a coughing fit so badly. Tears were rolling down my cheeks since I was holding it in so much. I eventually sneaked outside and coughed my guts up beside the bouncer. Thing is, this was just before the near gay action, so I looked like a homophobe when I got up to go lol.

Where do they have pubs that play Game of Thrones?

Vagabundo

So question: The New Prince guy mentioned about some Nieces/Nephews of his that were sprogs of the Mad King, killed in the rebellion. That sounds suspiciously like Dany and her dead brother. Is that her or cousins of hers? She must be related to New Guy.

Koko

Banned
So question: The New Prince guy mentioned about some Nieces/Nephews of his that were sprogs of the Mad King, killed in the rebellion. That sounds suspiciously like Dany and her dead brother. Is that her or cousins of hers? She must be related to New Guy.

They are related but not directly.

One of Dany's brother (Rhaegar) married Elia who is Oberyn' sister.

Vagabundo

They are related but not directly.

One of Dany's brother (Rhaegar) married Elia who is Oberyn' sister.

Ah thanks. Clearer. I have no idea how they could tell us this in show, but just dropping names like that is damnably confusing.

I suppose it rewards retching and DVD extras...

Nameless

So when was that Beric Dondarrion met Thoros of Myr and started that undying-thing?
I remember Ned sending him somewhere (maybe looking for the Mountain) and, although different actor, he looked fine, scarless.
So since then he met Thoros and "died" like 5-6 times? In what, a bit more than a year?

Yeah Ned strips the Mountain of all titles & holdings for atrocities committed throughout the Riverlands, tasking Beric with bringing Ser Gregor to justice. I haven't read the books, but best I can piece together from the show is Thoros, who fought for King Robert against Balon Greyjoy, had been sent by the High Priestess of R'hllor to educate the people of Westeros about the Lord of Light. Only he didn't really believe, and spent his time drinking at whoring. He crosses paths with Beric, who's presumably an old war buddy, and after The Mountain kills him with a lance through the heart, Thoros prays beside his dead friend, and Beric miraculously comes back to life

With the Lannisters in power the Brotherhood Without Banners is born in opposition. Beric is killed 4 more times, including being captured and hanged by Lannisters troops. The "trial" by fire against The Hound is the is the 6th time he dies and resurrects. The exact timeline isn't totally clear, but if you consider Ned sends Beric after The Mountain when King Robert is on the boar hunt, and Lannisters are torturing people for information about The Brotherhood when Arya arrives in Harrenhall early S2, you can get a general idea of when things took place.

By the way, at which point did Bolton go with the Lannisters? Or was he always with them?

I was watching the 3rd season on TV recently and except if I was just inferring some bullshit, it seems like the plan was hatched at a small council meeting. I don't remember what episode number but I do remember it was the one where Tyrion got to the meeting and had to drag the chair to the other side of the table and everyone was staring at him as the chair was scraping the floor. I wish I remember the episode #.

They were talking about Bolton in that scene. I might just be imagining things.

Game of Thrones was just renewed for S5 & S6.
HBO said:
LOS ANGELES, April 8, 2014 – HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a fifth and sixth season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

“GAME OF THRONES is a phenomenon like no other,” noted Lombardo. “David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, along with their talented collaborators, continue to surpass themselves, and we look forward to more of their dazzling storytelling.”

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES is an epic story of treachery and nobility set on the continent of Westeros, where summers and winters can last years, and only the lust for power is eternal. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning series launched its ten-episode fourth season Sunday, April 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, with other episodes debuting subsequent Sundays at the same time.

PFD

Nice, they usually only announce the renewal for one season at a time. I don't get why they do it right after the premier though.

Nice, they usually only announce the renewal for one season at a time. I don't get why they do it right after the premier though.

Ratings throughout the season are pretty consistent and it has to be one of their biggest money makers. They probably have a lot of faith in the show. No reason to wait forever to announce it.

IceCold

I was watching the 3rd season on TV recently and except if I was just inferring some bullshit, it seems like the plan was hatched at a small council meeting. I don't remember what episode number but I do remember it was the one where Tyrion got to the meeting and had to drag the chair to the other side of the table and everyone was staring at him as the chair was scraping the floor. I wish I remember the episode #.

They were talking about Bolton in that scene. I might just be imagining things.

They were but Tywin was simply saying that Bolton can keep Harrenhal (he said it was a pile of rubble).

--

There's someone on my facebook feed who said he never watched GOT but watched the season 4 premier and loved it. I don't understood why someone would do that with a show like this.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Game of thrones will be around for two more years, but will your favourite characters?
George+R.R.+Martin_018d84_4627853.gif

I think not.

Philippo

Yeah Ned strips the Mountain of all titles & holdings for atrocities committed throughout the Riverlands, tasking Beric with bringing Ser Gregor to justice. I haven't read the books, but best I can piece together from the show is Thoros, who fought for King Robert against Balon Greyjoy, had been sent by the High Priestess of R'hllor to educate the people of Westeros about the Lord of Light. Only he didn't really believe, and spent his time drinking at whoring. He crosses paths with Beric, who's presumably an old war buddy, and after The Mountain kills him with a lance through the heart, Thoros prays beside his dead friend, and Beric miraculously comes back to life

With the Lannisters in power the Brotherhood Without Banners is born in opposition. Beric is killed 4 more times, including being captured and hanged by Lannisters troops. The "trial" by fire against The Hound is the is the 6th time he dies and resurrects. The exact timeline isn't totally clear, but if you consider Ned sends Beric after The Mountain when King Robert is on the boar hunt, and Lannisters are torturing people for information about The Brotherhood when Arya arrives in Harrenhall early S2, you can get a general idea of when things took place.

That's pretty much what i got in mind.
It's just that those six deaths in so little time... damn that's really living la vida loca, eh Beric?

On the renewal: 'till sometime ago me and my friend had a recurring joke "what if GRRM dies and we can't get to see both the books and the series ending?". Now that we know he told Benioff and Weiss the ending, i (i mean him) can rest assured that in every case GoT will get it's conlclusion.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Episode 1 thoughts: Oberyn Martell owns.

The actor usually looks pretty "normal", but with the square beard and the Caesar cut, he looks like he could be a Terrence Stamp as Zod-tier supervillain.

Antagon

You think that will happen? I thought they'd just end it after covering all the books. How big is GRRM's role in the tv series?

They will. GRRM already explained the main plot of the next books to the showrunners so they can still finish the series if they pass the books.

Nameless

You think that will happen? I thought they'd just end it after covering all the books. How big is GRRM's role in the tv series?

Who knows, but all parties involved are preparing for that possibility .

http://time.com/29341/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin/

Benioff and Weiss said they aim to finish the series in seven or eight seasons, so as not to overstay their welcome (or let the several central child actors grow into middle age). They’re being proactive, and had a lengthy visit with Martin to lay out a broad outline of the end of the series, should they have to break that dragonglass and finish before the author does. Martin, on the other hand, tells Vanity Fair the same thing he was saying in 2011, hoping HBO will take this year to finish his third book, three seasons total for books four and five, and two for book six, allowing him to squeak under the wire with book seven. Making for ten seasons minimum. With maybe a prequel thrown in to buy another year.

Let’s be clear. That is not going to happen. Not unless HBO has a serious change of heart about GoT‘s longevity, and figures out how to clone a second, younger Maisie Williams. A TV series is an implacable dragon: it barrels along on its momentum and blasts away anything in its path (much less a book). And Martin, who produced TV’s Beauty and the Beast and wrote for a Twilight Zone remake, knows this. You no sooner keep a TV executive from his or her business objectives than you do Tywin Lannister. HBO will finish Game of Thrones when it wants to, with or without his books.

As someone invested in the show I'm glad the showrunners aren't beholden to GRRM'S procrastinations. Even though I'd be fine with a Mad King prequel season if they decided to wait for the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom