• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing I'm really sad is that Castle Black is losing some of it's more known grunts like Pyp who got stuck through the neck and Grenn who died fighting the tunnel giant with his group. Edd is still there and he's cool in my book. Hopefully we'll see new blood.

I was really disappointed by this episode. Worst of the season by far. It has been hyped up so much. It was supposed to be glorious and was supposed to dwarf Blackwater, but it wasn't even close. The pacing was off, it felt like nothing eventful was really going on, despite the fact that it was supposed to be a pretty big event.

I was just really over hyped for it, I suppose. I'll miss Grenn though.

Tabris

I had major goosebumps on this line:

"I need him more than I need you"

and I was totally like YES!! GHOST!

Unfortunately his 2 second appearance was a bit of a letdown. Should have shown him taking down multiple people.

demolitio

I think this was the first time I actually liked Sam

That seemed to be the real character development plot this episode. While the other men that looked down on Sam ended up succumbing to fear, Sam was afraid but still kept to his oath and matured through the battle. While he obviously wasn't going to be wrecking people with a sword down below, he didn't cower in fear of death, but accepted that it was a good possibility but might as well try to prevent it.

He grew up in regards to Gilly (sp?) and the Night's Watch.

The character development is what makes this show so special in the end. To have 220394 different characters all with their own character arcs is impressive.

Only thing I'm really sad is that Castle Black is losing some of it's more known grunts like Pyp who got stuck through the neck and Grenn who died fighting the tunnel giant with his group. Edd is still there and he's cool in my book. Hopefully we'll see new blood.

At least we know they'll get more assistance when Stannis finally comes back. He at least seems to be concerned about the white walkers and everything else. Like someone else said in this thread, this shit in the North makes the stuff down South seem really petty yet most of these Houses still don't care.

I enjoyed that episode since the action was good but ultimately it was a throw away episode. In a show of slow builds, this was the absolute slowest of the slow. 50 minutes and the plot barely moved forward an inch. You think so much time spent on one plot and we would get some resolutions. No, Castle Black is still in peril with 100k of the enemy still sits on their front door. Only different now is John Snow is on the other side of the wall. Okay, didn't need an entire episode to get there but at least we had fun tonight.

Also I find single shots so annoying these days because I notice it right away now. That's probably my fault though. Feels like director is trying to show off and takes away from the immersion, not add to it. Best camera work is the one you never notice.

Symphonic

I was really disappointed by this episode. Worst of the season by far. It has been hyped up so much. It was supposed to be glorious and was supposed to dwarf Blackwater, but it wasn't even close. The pacing was off, it felt like nothing eventful was really going on, despite the fact that it was supposed to be a pretty big event.

Wow. Not discrediting your opinion but I've never felt so opposite someone's opinion in my life.

Loved every second. Black water has nothing on this.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What a fantastic episode. I had to remind myself a few times that this is a fucking TV show.

That tracking shot was so well done, even my girlfriend commented on it and she doesn't tend to notice things like that.

Epic episode. After season 1, Jon has kind of fallen off for me in terms of interest and liking or caring that much for him. Same with Castle Black. This season has done good both up North and especially to Jon this epic episode. Noticably better than the Blackwater episode. Really great episode. If Tyrion's trial life/death is not figured out by episode 10, I'm going to be really disappointed. I hope it's not a cliffhanger on what happens to him, that would be rather annoying rather than suspensful.

I have to say one thing I'm disappointed this season is that it's generally shorter. There were episodes from 56 minutes to over an hour and yet most episodes this season are 50-52 minutes, with this of all the episodes being 50 minutes. Can anyone explain this, because it makes no sense at all for HBO to make the show shorter now that they're printing money compared to previous seasons.

Robot Pants

No. The worst episode was episode 8.

1. Please tell me someone .gif'd the guy getting launched a mile by that giants arrow.
2. The hammer through that guys skull was bru-fucking-tal. Loved it.
3. That one-shot of the whole battle going down was amazing. So much action, incredibly well done.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just watched final episode of season 3. We still haven't seen the significance of Stannis's final scene, where Davos brings him the note regarding the wildling army marching toward the wall. Even Melissandre was like shit son, we need to so something about that. Davos said they needed help building an army first, and the scene this season at the iron bank (the last time we saw those guys) could have been the start of that.

Anyways, I could see Stannis & bros bailing out the wall. Would be cool to see. He's been growing on me after the last rewatch and we haven't seen him or his crew very much this season.

demolitio

What a fantastic episode. I had to remind myself a few times that this is a fucking TV show.

That tracking shot was so well done, even my girlfriend commented on it and she doesn't tend to notice things like that.

It really is amazing what they do for a TV show. So many times during this episode, I was reminded of Helm's Deep from LOTR. While it obviously wasn't on that scale, it's still incredibly impressive what they did with one hour.

So bittersweet since I still wanted to get more from the stories down south too.

Just watched final episode of season 3. We still haven't seen the significance of Stannis's final scene, where Davos brings him the note regarding the wildling army marching toward the wall. Even Melissandre was like shit son, we need to so something about that. Davos said they needed help building an army first, and the scene this season at the iron bank (the last time we saw those guys) could have been the start of that.

Anyways, I could see Stannis & bros bailing out the wall. Would be cool to see. He's been growing on me after the last rewatch and we haven't seen him or his crew very much this season.

It'd be amazing if he decided to go up North first and help there and then march on King's Landing gaining more support from the people along the way. Either way, I see the White Walker showdown happening under Stannis' watch.

Tabris

Epic episode. After season 1, Jon has kind of fallen off for me in terms of interest and liking or caring that much for him. Same with Castle Black. This season has done good both up North and especially to Jon this epic episode.

I agree. Jon was boring after season 1 and now I'm a lot more interested. The Caster Keep scene and this solidified Jon as one of my "hero characters to cheer for".

1) Bran
2) Arya
3) Tyrion
4) Jon Snow
5) For some reason I'm forgetting his name, but the no finger guy with Stannis. And Stannis a bit minus the Fire Lady.

That's everyone I'm cheering for, in order.

Personally, I'd rather he show up and cut it off to a cliffhanger so we get King's Landing wrapped up, That part cannot be left off.

lol at the arrow kid being Ollie. Green Arrow reference :)

based on previews
Arya and Danny are getting scenes, as is Jon. On top of the episodes being shorter than usual, I'm a bit worried it won't be fleshed out.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Personally, I'd rather he show up and cut it off to a cliffhanger so we get King's Landing wrapped up, That part cannot be left off.

lol at the arrow kid being Ollie. Green Arrow reference :)

based on previews
Arya and Danny are getting scenes, as is Jon. On top of the episodes being shorter than usual, I'm a bit worried it won't be fleshed out.

It's longer than usual, not shorter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone had a lump in their throat when the Thenn guy disarmed Jon Snow and slammed his face on the anvil?
I thought the creeper wildling would be about to go in for the fatality, only for Ygritte to one-shot him, to fulfill her earlier promise (he's mine) and also because obvs she's in love with him and all that. Surprised it didn't happen.

Good episode. Obviously everyone is wondering what's happening in Kings landing. Disappointed they didn't even show any of it for reasons

And lulz
That Snow Cockblock
The little kid with the Crowsb4Hoes head nod
:(

I feel the same way for the most part. there definitely some things i liked about it but a huge letdown for me, especially compared with backwater. It never felt like Mance's army was that big either.. sure they had a big ass fire.. but 1 mammoth and 2 giants and some skirmishers....

Robot Pants

I feel the same way for the most part. there definitely some things i liked about it but a huge letdown for me, especially compared with backwater. It never felt like Mance's army was that big either.. sure they had a big ass fire.. but 1 mammoth and 2 giants and some skirmishers....
Only the first day, bro.

I thought the creeper wildling would be about to go in for the fatality, only for Ygritte to one-shot him, to fulfill her earlier promise (he's mine) and also because obvs she's in love with him and all that.

Yeah that whole sequence was extremely tense, especially considering what happened with Oberyn. There's no point during and after a 1v1 you can assume the hero made it.

Tabris

I can see why someone may dislike this episode, not because I disliked it (loved it), but it had a VERY different tone than the other episodes. It was epic. It was fantastical. And it was serious (except the beginning). Even Blackwater had the sarcasm and wit of Tyrion, and the musings of Cersei, to change the pacing.

It never felt that big because this was a small pie. The other 90,000+ thousand didn't even come near the wall.

Like Jon mentioned, Mance was probably testing the waters. Although I do not necessarily buy that, since Castle Black held off pretty freaking good considering Tormund, Cannibals and a Giant broke through the greates when all is said and done. But you never know. What if Mance has like a battalion of giants and mammoths.

Tabris

It never felt that big because this was a small pie. The other 90,000+ thousand didn't even come near the wall.

Yeah they mentioned they were just testing the defences, and they would be attacking with a larger force next day, but I assume Jon negotiates with Mance or kills him.

I get that but that's what adds to the disappointment of scale when trying to compare to blackwater. Especially with all the hype. This particular episode just didn't feel anywhere near as epic as blackwater because of the small party that he sent out.

Best paced episode of the last two seasons, it's not even funny. And fucking tracking shots? For a moment there I thought I was watching True Detective or Band of Brothers.

If they collapse the bottom tunnel then it'll be hard to take castle black. Of course if the 98k just bull rush the tunnel they win easily. That tunnel really should not exist. Defeats the whole purpose of the wall.

CoolOff

I enjoyed that episode since the action was good but ultimately it was a throw away episode. In a show of slow builds, this was the absolute slowest of the slow. 50 minutes and the plot barely moved forward an inch. You think so much time spent on one plot and we would get some resolutions. No, Castle Black is still in peril with 100k of the enemy still sits on their front door. Only different now is John Snow is on the other side of the wall. Okay, didn't need an entire episode to get there but at least we had fun tonight.

Also I find single shots so annoying these days because I notice it right away now. That's probably my fault though. Feels like director is trying to show off and takes away from the immersion, not add to it. Best camera work is the one you never notice.

wSvoup5.gif

I get that but that's what adds to the disappointment of scale when trying to compare to backwater. Especially with all the hype. This particular episode just didn't feel anywhere near as epic as blackwater because of the small party that he sent out.

I think you should watch Black Water again. It was and still is an amazing episode. But I think you're giving it's scale more credit than it deserves.

Tabris

That one continuous shot must have cost a lot of money, or they luckily got it in one shot. Or the editing team is the best in the business.

Yeah it really sucks that Grenn was killed. It sucks more that they didn't show the battle with the giant at all. Giving him, and the 5 other crows, a badass fight scene to go out with would have been awesome.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, this was only day one of the battle. Don't think it's over yet, by any means. J Snow's aiming to cut off their head with his suicide mission to take out Mance, but either way there's still a lot of wildlings coming at the wall. That's why I think Stannis and his army will be what saves the wall in the end. The Nights Watch can't hold it down alone.

The scene I mentioned above hinted towards that and it'd a logical step in Stannis's path to the throne.

There's also the Bolton army but they don't really seem to give a shit.

What really killed excitement for this episode was that, actually seeing the big army outside of the wall...like it made me realize that there's no logical way that the Wildlings could just dominate Castle Black if they have to scale the wall. The Nights Watch can just pick them off. It kind of killed the threat of the army. There were the giants who went for the tunnel, but it's a small tunnel. It can be handled.

Sajjaja

Yeah it really sucks that Grenn was killed. It sucks more that they didn't show the battle with the giant at all. Giving him, and the 5 other crows, a badass fight scene to go out with would have been awesome.

It was certainly more suspenseful this way. We didn't know if the giant lived or died until they went down the tunnel. I was expecting Jon to tell Sam that he was leaving and then PLOT TWIST, Giant comes in and fucks everyone up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It was certainly more suspenseful this way. We didn't know if the giant lived or died until they went down the tunnel. I was expecting Jon to tell Sam that he was leaving and then PLOT TWIST, Giant comes in and fucks everyone up.
Hahaha, I was actually worried the "dead" giant would suddenly get up and pull a Mountain by grabbing Jon and squishing his skull or something. This show has messed me up.

Speaking of the wall, I'm sort of confused. When Tormund, Ygritte, Jon Snow and the wildling groups successfully scaled the wall, did they scale it somewhere between the 3 castles where there is no guard? If so, why didn't Mance's army try to scale it from that location too?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You mean episode 10 in particular and if so how long? Or do you mean the general season, which I would disagree with. I don't remember them being 50-52 minutes average. :S

Episode 10. Now it might only be 5 minutes longer than the usual 50-52 minutes. But HBO has said to be 66 minutes, the longest episode the show has had yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom