• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

That was brutal as fuck.

as fuck

wall-slice.gif

Speaking of the wall, I'm sort of confused. When Tormund, Ygritte, Jon Snow and the wildling groups successfully scaled the wall, did they scale it somewhere between the 3 castles where there is no guard? If so, why didn't Mance's army try to scale it from that location too?

Because not every wilding is capable of scaling the way, and Mance's goal is to get everyone through, so he needs to take the tunnel. He sent small bands(Tormund, the Thenns) who are capable of scaling the wall over so they can try to get to the tunnel from the other side.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Jesus... JE-SUS! What an episode.

Everything was done right. Th directing, the sound, the camera angles, the CGI, the sword fights, etc.

Ridiculously impressive. God I fucking love this show.

Loakum

Banned
All the men of the Knight's Watch who died in this episode, truly died with honor.......and now their watch is over.

*man tear*

Aeon712

Why didn't the rest of the wildling army run in through the gate when the giant opened it? If anything the ones the retreated should know now that it only takes one giant to let the entire 100k attack.

potam

Banned
Why didn't the rest of the wildling army run in through the gate when the giant opened it? If anything the ones the retreated should know now that it only takes one giant to let the entire 100k attack.

Yeah I thought that was pretty fucking dumb. "Hey, guys, over here. I can get the gate open!!! :( I'll just go through by myself then."

Dr.Acula

Banned
Whenever you see the Directed By Neil Marshall at the start of a GOT episode you know you are in for epicness. And this episode delivered just like the one he did last season in terms of action.

Yeah, I saw his name pop up and thought it sounded familiar. Not only did he direct the Blackwater ep, but he did Dog Soldiers and The Descent.

Angry Fork

The anchor sliding across the wall was cool.

Really sad about Ygrette, I liked her a lot, but knew it was going to happen. There's no way out of that except her and Jon running away together which isn't gonna happen on a show like this.

What really killed excitement for this episode was that, actually seeing the big army outside of the wall...like it made me realize that there's no logical way that the Wildlings could just dominate Castle Black if they have to scale the wall. The Nights Watch can just pick them off. It kind of killed the threat of the army. There were the giants who went for the tunnel, but it's a small tunnel. It can be handled.

Mance is only testing their defenses based on what Jon himself told Sam. The massive attack is yet to be started.

Madrin

That was one of the best battle scenes I've ever seen period. Maybe it's because I've had 4 seasons to get invested in the show, but I can't remember the last time a battle in a TV show or movie got me so pumped. Just amazing.

should've stayed in ze cave
A gurl was walkin2 skewl wit her bf n they were crossin da rode.

she sed "bbz will u luv me 4evr"

he said "NO..""

da gurl cryed N ran across da rode b4 da green man came on the sine.

boy was cryin and went to pic up her body.

she was ded.

he whispered 2 her corpse "I ment 2 sey i will luv u FIVE-ever..." (dat mean he luv her moar den 4evr)

lyk dis if u cry evrytim

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I really liked Ygrette. Was sad to see her go, but it was so inevitable. There was no real scenario where Jon and her could hook up again and just be with one another. =/

Too many pretty red heads die in this show. Fuck you GRRM.

he said "NO..""

she was ded.

he whispered 2 her corpse "I ment 2 sey i will luv u FIVE-ever..." (dat mean he luv her moar den 4evr)

lyk dis if u cry evrytim

wtf is this?

NolbertoS

I really liked Ygrette. Was sad to see her go, but it was so inevitable. There was no real scenario where Jon and her could hook up again and just be with one another. =/

Too many pretty red heads die in this show. Fuck you GRRM.

Oh come on :( now you're lessening my hope of Sansa surviving :(. Only redhead left in the show thats hot

GREAT television.

Neil Marshall knocked another single-focus episode nine out of the park. Love the setup with the reveal of two attacks from opposite sides. Relatively happy outcome for our heros, thanks G.R.R for not killing all of our friends at the Nightswatch. Fucking loved the anchor wiping out the climbers on the wall. I've never seen that before and it's the kind of tactic that you'd think would be employed more in situations like that.

"I NEED TO SPEAK TO MANCE!" I wish Jon had said that, maybe next time.

potam

Banned
GREAT television.

Neil Marshall knocked another single-focus episode nine out of the park. Love the setup with the reveal of two attacks from opposite sides. Relatively happy outcome for our heros, thanks J.R.R for not killing all of our friends at the Nightswatch. Fucking loved the anchor wiping out the climbers on the wall. I've never seen that before and it's the kind of tactic that you'd think would be employed more in situations like that.

Tolkien had nothing to do with this.

he said "NO..""

she was ded.

lyk dis if u cry evrytim

lol reminds me of those dumb facebook story posts

inky

This episode was shot pretty well. Loved the camera panning around the yard and the battle choreography. The hammer to the head was kinda goofy tho.

The episode was weak overall because not much of the story moves forward, but I'm ready for the finale. Winter is (finally) coming.

The best show on TV, what else is there to say...
That fight scene with Jon Snow was amazing, you can feel the size of his opponent swing that axe... goosebumps.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jon's basically gonna have to turn himself in ton get to Mance. He's not gonna fight or splinter cell his way there.

Man there's just way too much to cover in this last ep. I'm sure it'll be great but at the same time I don't expect as much resolution as I'd like after this season.

There were quite a few impressive shots in this episode, and it almost felt like something out of LOTR: The Two Towers at times. There were also a lot of comedic scenes, I felt, as in Olly's face after he killed Ygritte, and the guy who was sent flying by the giant's arrow. I was praying that Ygritte wouldn't say "You know nuffink, Jon Snow"...but then she did, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I was expecting it, after all, I guess.

Overall, I couldn't help but be reminded that it's not the action that I enjoy in Game of Thrones, and I was waiting for the setting to change back to King's Landing. There's just something about Castle Black and its associated plot points that fail to captivate me.

Dr.Acula

Banned
GREAT television.

Neil Marshall knocked another single-focus episode nine out of the park. Love the setup with the reveal of two attacks from opposite sides. Relatively happy outcome for our heros, thanks J.R.R for not killing all of our friends at the Nightswatch. Fucking loved the anchor wiping out the climbers on the wall. I've never seen that before and it's the kind of tactic that you'd think would be employed more in situations like that.

The thing I liked was that we got to see the wall, the north, castle black, the outer gate, and where the wildlings are coming from all in relation to each other and the layout of everything. Some nice big wide shots and crane shots to show everything.

I was praying that Ygritte wouldn't say "You know nuffink, Jon Snow"...but then she did, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I was expecting it, after all, I guess.

I don't want to ask about the books, but it just assume that's fan service. Her catchphrase really caught on for whatever reason, it's probably the most quoted line from the show. It's a sick line though.

BadAss2961

That was one of the best battle scenes I've ever seen period. Maybe it's because I've had 4 seasons to get invested in the show, but I can't remember the last time a battle in a TV show or movie got me so pumped. Just amazing.
It was really fucking good, but I was still more blown away by Blackwater. Probably just because i'm used to seeing this kind of quality from the show now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Next Episode will be good, but I can see it now on how many people will be disappointed. Just to much going on in the 7 Kingdoms and beyond to tie things up before this season ends.

BTM

Man, what a fucking episode.

It's crazy how this episode seemed to go by faster than any of the others consider it takes place entirely in one setting. Never thought it would've been able to hold my attention the entire time, but it definitely did.

Got to give it up to Samwell motherfuckingheadshot Tarly. What a beast.

Also, wasn't really expecting to be hit emotionally when Ygritte died. I'm going to miss her.

On to the finale, where some shit is going to go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom