• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a good episode. I was waiting for something horrible to happen the entire time but luckily everyone but some scrubs managed to live.

Why the fuck is Jon going anywhere without his goddamn direwolf? Take fucking Ghost with you, dumbass!

Shame about keeping that wildling guy alive. That is totally going to backfire on them, considering theres no leadership at Castle Black anymore. Hes going to break out and kill everybody I bet. Dude is fucking nuts.

potam

Banned
Yeah it really sucks that Grenn was killed. It sucks more that they didn't show the battle with the giant at all. Giving him, and the 5 other crows, a badass fight scene to go out with would have been awesome.

They probably had a hard time figuring out how a) they'd actually kill a giant, and b) how to make the fight somewhat interesting in a tiny tunnel.

It was certainly more suspenseful this way. We didn't know if the giant lived or died until they went down the tunnel. I was expecting Jon to tell Sam that he was leaving and then PLOT TWIST, Giant comes in and fucks everyone up.

True. The end scene where Jon and Sam walked up to the aftermath was great so I can't complain too much. Grenn reciting the Night's Watch vows as the giant charged down the tunnel was fantastic too. That might have been my favorite part of the whole episode honestly.

Like I said, I can't complain too much. It was still great. Just would have been awesome to see them go at it with the giant.

Xyber

1. Please tell me someone .gif'd the guy getting launched a mile by that giants arrow.
2. The hammer through that guys skull was bru-fucking-tal. Loved it.
3. That one-shot of the whole battle going down was amazing. So much action, incredibly well done.

Webm
http://a.pomf.se/mfsdgd.webm

Or gif if you still live in 2010
ConcernedGrimAffenpinscher.gif

NolbertoS

Loved this episode better than the battle of Blackwater. Yes it was more action, but its Castle Black where those white walkers still roam. I had a feeling Mance was only going to send a small force. Makes sense as Castle Black is impenetrable and don't want to risk everybody in one go. Castle Black survives another day and now its looking like Jon Snow will be the "true" King of thr North and retake Castle stark in the future. I wish GOT was at least 15-20 episodes per season. 10 episodes doesn't do it justice as I'm sure the writers probably cut some good material from the books.

Xamdou

Godamn best episode of the entire bloody season! Lot's of deaths and filled with endless action scenes!

Seems like some gaffers prefer the political drama at King's landing rather watching the epic northern war.

#Winteriscomingforeal!

They probably had a hard time figuring out how a) they'd actually kill a giant, and b) how to make the fight somewhat interesting in a tiny tunnel.

I'd like to imagine that it was very short, and very brutal. Really is a let down that he's gone though, he was my second favorite at the wall other next to Jon.

Where is Jon going? I didn't catch that.

To go talk to Mance.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The giants were very well done but they did remind me of the Vogon's from the original Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy TV show :p

vogon.jpg

Where is Jon going? I didn't catch that.

He knows they won't survive too many more attacks so he's going to kill ther ex-crow Mance Rayder who united and is leading the wildlings.

And another episode with another tragic death(s), hell even more than one. But Ygritte really got me, wasn't surprised but that was some emotional stuff.

Derwind

Great episode, Ygritte dying sucks fucking that shit eating crow babe shooting an arrow through Ygritte.

I like how Sams indirect actions of raising that boys fighting spirit so as to help ultimately win the battle at Castle Black for the safety of his lady friend Gilly, ended up killing Johns woman.

You killed her you did!!!!

Reflecting on the episode some more, it really was really good episode. Great action and I greatly enjoyed watching the leader Thenn get his shit wrecked by JON FOOOOKING SNOW

Damn. I hope now that Jon meets up with Bran up in the north somewhere. They just have to now.

NolbertoS

Speaking of the wall, I'm sort of confused. When Tormund, Ygritte, Jon Snow and the wildling groups successfully scaled the wall, did they scale it somewhere between the 3 castles where there is no guard? If so, why didn't Mance's army try to scale it from that location too?

Mance didn't try to scale it as you can't waste 100,000 lives on scaling the wall. How would the Giants or Wolly Mammoths made the trek?? By the time thr original party scaled it, Jon Snow would've told the Castle Black where they came from, thus, also making it impossible to go through there

Edit: its only logical that Mance try to breach thr gate thus making it easier for his army to pass through.

ascully

Whenever you see the Directed By Neil Marshall at the start of a GOT episode you know you are in for epicness. And this episode delivered just like the one he did last season in terms of action.

Liked the one tracking shot, the music was really good, and the appearance of Ghost running wild made me yell out.

Everything else was pretty meh though, I thought. Guess I'm not invested in the Wall drama as much as other things.

Damn. I hope now that Jon meets up with Bran up in the north somewhere. They just have to now.
I think it's impossible at this point. Remember, Bran and his friends split with Snow at Craster's Keep. They went north, and Snow returned to Castle Black.

uzQHDOy.jpg

They are well beyond anyone's reach by now.

I think it's impossible at this point. Remember, Bran and his friends split with Snow at Craster's Keep. They went north, and Snow returned to Castle Black.

uzQHDOy.jpg

They are well beyond anyone's reach by now.

I hope the story does an asspull and they meet somehow. I am so thirsty for a Stark reunion man. So. damn. thirsty.

Where was Mances' camp? Somewhere in the Lands of Always Winter?

True. The end scene where Jon and Sam walked up to the aftermath was great so I can't complain too much. Grenn reciting the Night's Watch vows as the giant charged down the tunnel was fantastic too. That might have been my favorite part of the whole episode honestly.

Like I said, I can't complain too much. It was still great. Just would have been awesome to see them go at it with the giant.
That was my favorite scene as well. So powerful.

Surprised to see they had an anti-giant bow despite not believing in giants. I wonder if that was supposed to be a last minute addition after believing Snow.

NolbertoS

Surprised to see they had an anti-giant bow despite not believing in giants. I wonder if that was supposed to be a last minute addition after believing Snow.

Nah, more like a siege weapon like the other poster stated. The Scythe, now there's a weapom that does nice damage. Loved the hanging hand left after it did its job.

I feel kinda cheated. Easily the weakest EP 9 of the series so far. I was totally expecting Castle Black to fall. Also the giant's screams made my dog restless... Once he started watching it he seemed to calm down.

Complistic

Great episode, Ygritte dying sucks fucking that shit eating crow babe shooting an arrow through Ygritte.
You killed her you did!!!!

To be fair, I'm pretty sure she killed that boy's parents. Or at least his dad. Having trouble remembering.

It sucked she died, but there was no happy ending there.

I feel kinda cheated. Easily the weakest EP 9 of the series so far. I was totally expecting Castle Black to fall.

Totally agree. I was expecting so much more. The fighting was fantastic, but it just all seemed sorta off.

Nizz

What a fantastic episode. I had to remind myself a few times that this is a fucking TV show.
This is one of many things that impresses me so much about this show, it feels like I'm watching a mini movie every week. I was a little suprised that the whole show would be about Castle Black but I still loved the episode. This is probably the best looking show on television right now, if not one of the best.

The battle had a pretty good sense of scale. I was pretty impressed with the giant riding a wooly mammoth. Was not expecting that, from the preview for this episode I thought they showed the feet of the giant. But when that mammoth emerged with that giant riding him I was all "woah, very cool shot!".

Too bad next week is the season finale, I'm gonna miss this show.

Tahnit

Banned
Well now we know why the wildlings havent attempted to climb the wall all this time. Its because the fucking awesome scythes. That was awesome.

They probably wont even enter through the Bloody Gates.

The Hound: "Your cunt aunt is dead. Lets get the fuck outta here"
Arya: "Ok cool"

I'm still pissed about Bran not meeting up with Jon when he was like 10 ft away from him. Ugh.

I know!

That part was emotional, the music, they were so close. Have to admit my eyes watered up a bit.

What really killed excitement for this episode was that, actually seeing the big army outside of the wall...like it made me realize that there's no logical way that the Wildlings could just dominate Castle Black if they have to scale the wall. The Nights Watch can just pick them off. It kind of killed the threat of the army. There were the giants who went for the tunnel, but it's a small tunnel. It can be handled.
I don't really understand their strategy. Of the 18? castles along the wall, only 3 are manned, Castle Black being the most heavily guarded. They could easily scale the wall elsewhere and overwhelm the Night's Watch that way. Or they could have a giant casually open one of the 18 tunnels and let the horde pour in. Maybe someone can explain why this isn't feasible. It ended up being a pretty generic battle.

I guess I've seen one too many action film, but I would like this show to exceed my imagination and surprise me: the big metal chain that swung across the wall was about the only interesting thing that happened. Everything else, including the swordplay, was banal. Oh well, it was still a good change of pace -- next week we'll be back to the good stuff.

Fun episode. Can't go wrong with extended giant action. Not as well motivated as Blackwater was in Season 2, though. Hopefully Jon Snow becomes a leader out of this. I want to see him riding a mammoth through the streets of Braavos wrecking shit before the series is over.

Nameless

Fuckin Janos Slint, that cowardly little snake. Who knew Samwell had bigger balls than the former Lord Commander of the City Watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom