• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booties

Banned
He's looking for a tree? I thought he was looking for a three-eyed crow.

The trees with faces on them are all over the place. They're remnants of the old religion of Westeros predating whatever the current one is called. Which of course predates the inevitable forcible conversion of everyone on the continent to the Lord of Light by Stannis the Mannis.

Anyway. The tree they're seeking--apparently where the three-eyed raven lives? I dunno, it's a little vague--is not the same as the one Jon takes his vows at.

Thanks for the answers. The crow may or may not be at this tree, but Cyan is right about how many there could be. Lord Commander tells Jon that he can find "a" tree, not "the" tree. The one Bran sees in his dreams is also in a clearing, almost as if on a podium of rocks. Jon's tree is surrounded by woods.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Are you sure he wants to kill him? He left without a weapon(or wolf). Maybe he wants to negotiate or something.

Negotiate how? lol

"Hey umm, I know you out number us 1000-1, and it's clear to anyone observing that you can straight kick our asses. However, I was wondering if we could come to an arrangement where by you know, you umm, lose?....what's that?...Why are you making gestures with your hands?..."

*the sound of an arrow wheezing through the air, followed by Jon Snow collapsing to his knees dying. Mance slowly walks up to him, kneels, and whispers in his ears*

"You know nothing Jon Snow"

*FADE TO BLACK*

Blader

Hype for the next episode!

The showrunners are teasing it as one of the most exciting hours they produced.

Last season finale was disappointing... Mhysa! Mhysa! So boring....

I assume/hope that the reason last year's finale ended on such an uneventful note is because they were only halfway through the book. This year's finale should match up with a book ending, so it should be a little more resolute.

Cyan

Banned
I assume/hope that the reason last year's finale ended on such an uneventful note is because they were only halfway through the book. This year's finale should match up with a book ending, so it should be a little more resolute.

Uneventful? It was the sausage and pizza episode!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I don't see how 100.000 men or whatever amount would fit through that small tunnel at once. Position a gatling gun at the entrance and the intruders won't even be able to climb over the corpses.
I know, right. Fucking AWP campers on top of the wall would have taken care of those giants in no time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Negotiate how? lol

"Hey umm, I know you out number us 1000-1, and it's clear to anyone observing that you can straight kick our asses. However, I was wondering if we could come to an arrangement where by you know, you umm, lose?....what's that?...Why are you making gestures with your hands?..."

*the sound of an arrow wheezing through the air, followed by Jon Snow collapsing to his knees dying. Mance slowly walks up to him, kneels, and whispers in his ears*

*FADE TO BLACK*

Well sure, it sound stupid when you think about it. Maybe Mance isn't aware of Jon's betrayal, and Jon will come into his tent going all

"HHhheeyyy, what's up Mance? Our group lost against the battle of Castle Black, so give me something to drink, i'm thirsty."

"Sure." *Turns around to pick a cup*

"Ah. Gotcha." *snaps Mance's neck*

Camwi

Well sure, it sound stupid when you think about it. Maybe Mance isn't aware of Jon's betrayal, and Jon will come into his tent going all

"HHhheeyyy, what's up Mance? Our group lost against the battle of Castle Black, so give me something to drink, i'm thirsty."

"Sure." *Turns around to pick a cup*

"Ah. Gotcha." *snaps Mance's neck*

You do make a good point though. I forgot that he left his sword behind. I guess it's possible that he did so knowing that they weren't going to let Jon get near Mance with a weapon anyways, so his only chance is to find some way to kill him right then and there.

Gila

Anyone know the track when Tyrion is leaving his cell to the fight? The music starts about when the bells start ringing and Jamie says "good luck today" and Tyrion walks down with the guards

Nameless

Negotiate how? lol

*FADE TO BLACK*

game-of-thrones-watchers-on-the-wall-recap-i-told-you-snow-25d0bd71-41da-46e8-acb4-318bf15454d3.gif

Jonogunn

They sent out ravens when they found out bout the white walkers but did they send ravens informing the lords of the 100,000 wildlings?

I'm actually more interested in the wall storylines after that episode. It finally showed that the nights watch isn't a joke and what they are fighting for is greater than anything else going on in Westeros.

I actually have a feeling the wall will fall.

The chances of the nights watch surviving is already so slim and knowing how GRRM is he will stick to the realism and likely hood of it falling. I'll be sad if this happens because I like Jon snow and the nights watch but I feel like the wildlings attacking westeros is necessary.

Anyway. The tree they're seeking--apparently where the three-eyed raven lives? I dunno, it's a little vague--is not the same as the one Jon takes his vows at.
I thought Bran was talking to the other warg kid about his dreams after they first met and was told something like "You can never catch the raven in your dreams because you are the raven." Am I mistaken?

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I thought Bran was talking to the other warg kid about his dreams after they first met and was told something like "You can never catch the raven in your dreams because you are the raven." Am I mistaken?

No. But also, IIRC, during one of the most recent episodes he convinced Bran to not meet his brother when he and his compatriots invaded where he was being held hostage by saying "You want to find the three-eyed raven, don't you?" I'm confused myself.

pel1300

Anyone know the track when Tyrion is leaving his cell to the fight? The music starts about when the bells start ringing and Jamie says "good luck today" and Tyrion walks down with the guards

I wanna know this too..but it's the ending theme as well.

ugh i love bran and his stupid three-eyed-raven arc >__<;;;;;

and jojen and meera..... i really like them both too. and HODOR. and Summer <3

this is my chosen quiet arc, tbh

I know there are a few 'quiet' or 'slow' arcs, ... this one's mine. Although I enjoy most of GoT arcs, cept for Sam's. The others are quite enjoyable :>

.... I want to see where Rickon and Osha are at, too.... aaaaaaaaah

and now i want to draw some bran/three-eyed-raven doodles :x

Ichi_

Neo Member
They sent out ravens when they found out bout the white walkers but did they send ravens informing the lords of the 100,000 wildlings?

Tywin mentioned it a few episodes ago when he was listing the threats to the kingdom, he mentions danny, the wildling army, ect. so clearly he knows the rumors of it at the very least.

The chances of the nights watch surviving is already so slim and knowing how GRRM is he will stick to the realism and likely hood of it falling. I'll be sad if this happens because I like Jon snow and the nights watch but I feel like the wildlings attacking westeros is necessary.

Wildings attacking Westeros is so much less cool than White Walkers attacking Westeros.

I still think Stannis will show up and somehow save the day. Then the White Walkers will temple kick everyone.

Sepp

Banned
1. The giant was raging after his buddy was killed. Strategy was an afterthought, assuming the giants are even intelligent enough to come up with strategy.
2. Jon says that there are more giants.
3. They were testing Castle Black. That's why it was such a small attack. Jon realizes that they're fucked, so that's why he's going to go try chopping off the head of the snake.

1. Apparently the giants were intelligent enough when they employed those mammoths.
2. Well then, why stop the assault?
3. You don't waste your entire infiltration force on a test run, or do they have another one?

Nameless

1. Apparently the giants were intelligent enough when they employed those mammoths.
2. Well then, why stop the assault?
3. You don't waste your entire infiltration force on a test run, or do they have another one?

Mance didn't want to blow his load too soon in case The Wall was in fact sufficiently manned. You're always trying to get your opponent to tip their hand and he did that. Remember Mance used to be a Crow, he knows their strategies. Now he knows the strength at which they're executing those strategies and exactly what they're capable of. It's chess over checkers. Had they been undermanned and poorly skilled and the C-tier attack worked, fine, but the information he gathers from the skirmish will allow him to plan his response accordingly, and take Castle Black with less damage to his own forces than aimlessly throwing shit at the wall.

No. But also, IIRC, during one of the most recent episodes he convinced Bran to not meet his brother when he and his compatriots invaded where he was being held hostage by saying "You want to find the three-eyed raven, don't you?" I'm confused myself.

He is obviously going through a journey to find himself
sesene4.gif

Slightly off topic but worth a mention.

Just got the first book of 7 in the Accursed Kings series today, written by Maurice Druon. This one is titled The Iron King. GRRIM is supposedly heavily inspired by this which is what got me interested, with "This is the original Game of Thrones" quote by him at the top of the first book.

Just started reading in the beginning and GRRIM had written a little something that had me shocked, "And believe me, the Starks and Lannisters have nothing on the Capets and Plantagenets"
wee-bey-gif.gif

i6CC4jqZQor1r.gif

Will likely start this this weekend if I don't have too much work. I don't think I'm ready for this.

Slightly off topic but worth a mention.

Just got the first book of 7 in the Accursed Kings series today, written by Maurice Druon. This one is titled The Iron King. GRRIM is supposedly heavily inspired by this which is what got me interested, with "This is the original Game of Thrones" quote by him at the top of the first book.

Just started reading in the beginning and GRRIM had written a little something that had me shocked, "And believe me, the Starks and Lannisters have nothing on the Capets and Plantagenets"
wee-bey-gif.gif

i6CC4jqZQor1r.gif

Will likely start this this weekend if I don't have too much work. I don't think I'm ready for this.

Some people feel the writing and characterization are dry, especially when compared to Game of Thrones, but they're damn good books IMO. I haven't read them all but I've been impressed by what I've read.

Seth C

Yesterday while taking a nap on the terrace I had a dream about Game of Thrones. Jamie jumped off the cliff to his death to save Tyrion because he knew Tywin wouldn't let him die if he was the only remaining heir to his name.

i think it is brick, covered in ice. or ice bricks. it was definitely built by someone thousands of years ago. so yeah, it's a massive standing wall with the front and back level.

It's a giant wall of ice. It's literally a wall. There's an elevator on the other side that the Night's Watch uses to get up top.

I think the explanation we've been given is something like "a wizard did it."
It's a giant wall, covered with ice, if it's pure ice, it would have collapsed under its own weight.

Edit: Wait I'm not so sure.

Edit 2: From the show wiki
The Wall is a colossal fortification which stretches for 300 miles along the northern border of the Seven Kingdoms, defending the realm from the wildlings who live beyond. The Wall is reported to be over 700 feet tall and is made of solid ice.

Khaz

Some people feel the writing and characterization are dry, especially when compared to Game of Thrones, but they're damn good books IMO. I haven't read them all but I've been impressed by what I've read.

Most characters are historical, their life, consequences of their actions, and ultimate death really happened so there is no case of the writer writing off a character to make the plot advance. The narration is heavily romanticised though , which makes it quite enjoyable.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I laughed too loud when Jon sends Sam on a mission to unlock the door to Ghost's kennel.
"I don't need you, I need him."

Braag

I think it was in the one of the GoT history videos that they mentioned that Bran The Builder built the wall with the help of the magic from the children of the forest so the reason it's standing is: Magic.

KOCMOHABT

actually i was really surprised Ygritte didn't just let the arrow go so they both died, when she got hit.

I mean when you get hit it's probably more likely in a shock reaction to let your tension loose in the fingers than slowly loosening the shot.

Either way I hoped it wouldn't have happened, as I liked her a lot. But it's good that at least Jon remains as a major character.

A whole episode of a LOTR-esque big CGI fight scene? What a waste. I hope the final episode isn't more of the same, bored me shitless.

Actually there wasn't much CGI used in the episode. CGI is notably expensive for the show so they try to avoid it with prosthetics or practical effects whenever possible.

It's a giant wall, covered with ice, if it's pure ice, it would have collapsed under its own weight.

Edit: Wait I'm not so sure.

Edit 2: From the show wiki

Glaciers can be very high/thick (miles).
However, if the thickness exceeds 50 m, the ice starts to behave more like a liquid or something due to the pressure. Not sure what would happen, but my guess is a free standing (relatively thin) wall of ice would either slide away or more likely the lower layers get pushed out more and more while the overall Wall gets shorter and shorter. Resulting in a pile of ice at some point.

(but anyway it's magic ice considering no one could have built it by normal means, unless you stack blocks of ice for a long time I guess)

I really hate how nowhere seems to be safe from spoilers anymore. I've had major things spoiled thanks to a damn Luigi Mario Kart video and a Twitch stream. Maybe I should accept the reality that it is (seemingly) inevitable.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I really hate how nowhere seems to be safe from spoilers anymore. I've had major things spoiled thanks to a damn Luigi Mario Kart video and a Twitch stream. Maybe I should accept the reality that it is (seemingly) inevitable.

I don't leave the house after GoT has aired. I live in a bubble where only I and the show exist untill I have seen it. I've gotten spoiled while stuck in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom