• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't leave the house after GoT has aired. I live in a bubble where only I and the show exist untill I have seen it. I've gotten spoiled while stuck in traffic.
The worst part is these were all major book spoilers, though. I really, really hope I didn't have most of the surprises ruined.

The worst part is these were all major book spoilers, though. I really, really hope I didn't have most of the surprises ruined.

I've heard about Twitch chats being filled with them. Basically you just shouldn't read Twitch chats, avoid reading comments on anything even remotely GoT related, avoid googling anything GoT related.

djkimothy

Glaciers can be very high/thick (miles).
However, if the thickness exceeds 50 m, the ice starts to behave more like a liquid or something due to the pressure. Not sure what would happen, but my guess is a free standing (relatively thin) wall of ice would either slide away or more likely the lower layers get pushed out more and more while the overall Wall gets shorter and shorter. Resulting in a pile of ice at some point.

(but anyway it's magic ice considering no one could have built it by normal means, unless you stack blocks of ice for a long time I guess)

You're right, at a certain temperature the high pressures will cause the ice to form a liquid. Assuming the temperature stays at a certain level and is constant.

Classic example:

melting-point-pressure-effect.jpeg

But if it's cold enough, then ice will remain ice even at higher pressures. The phase diagram in the link should explain it a little better. Ice starts to behave oddly though with different "solid" states at increasing pressures. Not as simple or elegant as carbon dioxide.

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

I don't know how cold it is in the north of westeros. But who cares, because dragons and ice zombies...

I've heard about Twitch chats being filled with them. Basically you just shouldn't read Twitch chats, avoid reading comments on anything even remotely GoT related, avoid googling anything GoT related.
Yeah, I've learned now that merely actively avoiding spoilers isn't enough. Oh well. Hopefully the coming episode shows some of it.

Chuckie

actually i was really surprised Ygritte didn't just let the arrow go so they both died, when she got hit.

I mean when you get hit it's probably more likely in a shock reaction to let your tension loose in the fingers than slowly loosening the shot.

While you are right that she would probably would let the arrow go, there is no way it would hit the target. The movement from getting hit would make the arrow go meters off target

spirity

I really hate how nowhere seems to be safe from spoilers anymore. I've had major things spoiled thanks to a damn Luigi Mario Kart video and a Twitch stream. Maybe I should accept the reality that it is (seemingly) inevitable.

I was playing Marvel Heroes yesterday and nearly saw a spoiler in the global chat. Closed the game down and haven't been back, but when I do go back I'll have to turn chat off.

Last week at work, I was waiting to speak to a guy who was on the phone. He was talking about GoT and talked about the Mountain. I had to leave the room but not before I heard a spoiler.

I got through nearly all 4 seasons without anything being spoiled to me. The dragons, Ned, Joffreys death and even the red wedding, all of it was new to me. But this last week has been nuts.

Vagabundo

I really hate how nowhere seems to be safe from spoilers anymore. I've had major things spoiled thanks to a damn Luigi Mario Kart video and a Twitch stream. Maybe I should accept the reality that it is (seemingly) inevitable.

So was this just two people chatting on a stream about the books?? Or did some dick just blurt out spoilers in something unrelated?

I rarely watch twitch streams.

MjFrancis

A former coworker and I used to talk about Game of Thrones every Tuesday. It was on Tuesday because I couldn't get to it before Monday evening. It would drive him nuts because he was so excited to bullshit about the episode and he always wanted to do it Monday. He left work after Season 2 but we still text on occasion. We text all throughout Season 3, always after I got caught up after work on Monday. No problems. My media blackout after every episode has been pretty successful until recently.

So this former coworker that I haven't seen for years texts me the morning after Episode 8 airs - "The viper gets smashed! Brutal!"

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I watch it tonight."

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

Yeah I've had Oberyn's death spoiled in a Twitch chat as well.

And I got another thing spoiled from the Season Finale I guess in a random thread in an NBA forum.

And the worst, I got something spoiled that hasn't even happened in the books yet. Someone posted a link to an article about the possible plot of the next book without a spoiler warning. I didn't even know the link was about GoT and just read the URL but it had the the title of the article in it which was a major spoiler.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Just don't believe them? Whenever I see GoT spoilers in Twitch chat I just start making up shit and write that in there as well. And I know that other people do the same. In the end non-book readers have no idea anymore what's real and what's fake so just treat everything you hear as bullshit first and foremost.

Sucks to be Sansa.

So, are Bran's abilities just stronger, or is it just that he's the only one who's taken their time to master it?
It was mentioned in the show that wargs are rare (but evidently common within the Stark line) but Bran's abilities are even rarer. So, maybe both? Perhaps the fall from the tower jump started his powers.

Chopper

It was mentioned in the show that wargs are rare (but evidently common within the Stark line) but Bran's abilities are even rarer. So, maybe both? Perhaps the fall from the tower jump started his powers.
Maybe. So, the three-eyed crow could be Jon. Except for the fact that Jojen Reed actively stopped Bran from reuniting with his brother earlier in the series.

I think the only connection is that they've raised those dire wolves since they were pups, so they're extremely loyal. I don't think they've got latent warg abilities.
Yeah, if they have then the show hasn't made that clear at all.

Leunam

All the Stark children have a super weird connection with their dire wolves, which seems to be a part of that ability.

I think the only connection is that they've raised those dire wolves since they were pups, so they're extremely loyal. I don't think they've got latent warg abilities.

Zeppu

Speaking of Jon. Have I missed any hints as who his mother might be? I paid a lot of attention during my recent watch through to see if there were any subtle hints I missed but apart from that conversation between Ned and Robert in S1 there doesn't seem to have been anything else.

I refuse to believe that the mystery won't be solved and that the secret died with Ned.

I could've sworn there was a scene with Jon dreaming something related to Ghost. Either way, Bran is the only one that matters (amongst the Starks) when it comes to warging. Also, House Stark are descended from the first men (look it up on the bluray/dvd extras) and warging is more common among them.

So my understanding is Lena Headley's instagram somehow spoils the next episode. A buddy from work told me about this, so I don't know if it's true, or what it is. I actually told him not to say ANYTHING after he said to not look at her instagram. Just a heads up for everybody.

Speaking of Jon. Have I missed any hints as who his mother might be? I paid a lot of attention during my recent watch through to see if there were any subtle hints I missed but apart from that conversation between Ned and Robert in S1 there doesn't seem to have been anything else.

I refuse to believe that the mystery won't be solved and that the secret died with Ned.
That's all the show has given us. There are apparently more clues, but they must exist in later books or some sort of supplementary material.

Blader

I think it'll come up eventually. I remember reading that when GRRM met with Benioff and Weiss for the first time to discuss the show, one of his "Are you worthy to be showrunning this series"-esque interview questions was their theory on who Jon's mother was. And whatever their answer was interested or satisfied GRRM enough for him to give them the thumbs up. So it's definitely *something* important, but probably not for much further down the line.

El Daniel

So my understanding is Lena Headley's instagram somehow spoils the next episode. A buddy from work told me about this, so I don't know if it's true, or what it is. I actually told him not to say ANYTHING after he said to not look at her instagram. Just a heads up for everybody.

It's so cryptic that it's impossible for non readers to get spoiled. I wouldn't worry too much.

It won't spoil anything if you don't know what it refers to. However, I'd advise against looking it up because you may end up putting things together and spoiling it for yourself.

I think it'll come up eventually. I remember reading that when GRRM met with Benioff and Weiss for the first time to discuss the show, one of his "Are you worthy to be showrunning this series"-esque interview questions was their theory on who Jon's mother was. And whatever their answer was interested or satisfied GRRM enough for him to give them the thumbs up. So it's definitely *something* important, but probably not for much further down the line.
Yup, that's why I think he is likely to live until the end of the series. Then he will get the most brutal death in all of GoT as we think we have a new King of the North/King of 7 Kingdoms.

Camwi

I could've sworn there was a scene with Jon dreaming something related to Ghost. Either way, Bran is the only one that matters (amongst the Starks) when it comes to warging. Also, House Stark are descended from the first men (look it up on the bluray/dvd extras) and warging is more common among them.

I don't remember anything like that. I'm pretty sure Bran is the only warg.

Nameless

I don't remember anything like that. I'm pretty sure Bran is the only warg.

Yeah the only other Stark to show a hint of special abilities is Rickon. He dreamed of Ned's death like Bran did, and after Robb rides off to war Bran tries to comfort him saying they'll all come back, to which Rickon replies, "No they won't." He delivers the line in a way that comes off as intuition as opposed to cynicism.

The force is strong in that kid. Ironic since he's poised to become the Luke Skywalker of the story down the line.

Yeah the only other Stark to show a hint of special abilities is Rickon. He dreamed of Ned's death like Bran did, and after Robb rides off to war Bran tries to comfort him saying they'll all come back, to which Rickon replies, "No they won't." He delivers the line in a way that comes off as intuition as opposed to cynicism.

The force is strong in that kid. Ironic since he's poised to become the Luke Skywalker of the story down the line.
Bran has the highest warg-ichlorian count?

Radec

I just rewatched EP9 and it was indeed amazing.

The moment Jon Snow went down to the battlefield it went great.

+ the music is amazing!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Holy shit. Sean Bean looked like Fabio hahahaha. And Nicolaj Coster-Waldau looks like he could be in a boy band. Geeky awkward Lena is funny too. The funniest has got to be Jason Momoa though. That guy looks like the antithesis of intimidating. :D And is it just me or does Iain Glen vaguely look like David Bowie? :D

Maisie Williams is so adorable. ;_;

Quick question. Will there be any bars in NYC (Manhattan/Midtown ideally) showing the finale? I'm flying over on Saturday and wouldn't want to miss the last episode. I figure watching it in a bar would be good fun. Thanks.

I'm getting pretty sad as the days go by knowing that it's ending on Sunday. Almost like the sadness that came over you as a child when summer vacation was ending.

well, after this weekend we have 40 episodes of the show. Then we have 40-off weeks till Season 5.
The time has come to do rewatch 1ep a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom