• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man. Bran's story is now my favorite story. We got some crazy shit happening. I just wish I knew what it all meant lorewise. Like the histories behind these people. I hope we get more stuff like that next season, but I doubt it. I feel like a lot of the supernatural stuff never tends to get explained.

That or I just missed the history lesson. This is what I enjoy about fantasy, the lore. I want more.

I actually might have to read the books I guess.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That episode was definitely better than the previous one.

Overall, I feel like practically everything that happened at The Wall amounted to nothing this season, until the last minute.

So many deaths. RIP.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The old tree dude seems to be a max level warg or something like it. I don't think he actually shapeshifts, but he's basically omniscient with his powerful warging while he chills out down in that stump. Maybe Bran is lined up to be his successor.
Man. Bran's story is now my favorite story. We got some crazy shit happening. I just wish I knew what it all meant lorewise. Like the histories behind these people. I hope we get more stuff like that next season, but I doubt it. I feel like a lot of the supernatural stuff never tends to get explained.

That or I just missed the history lesson. This is what I enjoy about fantasy, the lore. I want more.

Everyone should watch the GoT history vids from the DVD extras. They're on youtube and they'll give you a lot of good info on stuff like that.

Just realized we got no White Walkers teasing to end the season. I don't think those skeletons count as WW. We got some references in dialogue (Jon Snow saying to burn the corpses) but no visuals.

kingkitty

Good finale. Glad Tyrion got out of there in one piece.

Varys and Tyrion gtfo'ed. Tywin is dead. Littlefinger is frolicking with Sansa. King's Landing is fucked. Not enough brains left in that castle to stop Stannis THE ONE TRUE KING.

The Hound and Ayra scene was fantastic, got me a bit choked up. I'll miss that Hound guy.

BTM

I just want to take a moment and say I really love this show. This is the first show since LOST that has grabbed me in such a way that I sometimes can't even wait a week between episodes let alone almost an entire year between seasons.

Season 5 can't get here soon enough

Sajjaja

I dont understand how it could be someone's favourite story as of yet. I mean, there is no story yet. There have been developments, and this one has been the biggest one as of yet, but he has yet to accomplish anything meaningful in a tangible/foreseeable way. It's pretty much been Lord of The Rings with him with all the other stuff removed.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, that finale was a flawless victory on all accounts. I feel like it was really quaint and summed up all its storylines with a nice change of pace that's better than any other season ender before.

The stuff with Bran was awesome, loved that skeleton fight scene (and we thought all the budget went into last week!). Brienne vs. The Hound was also great, as was Arya coldly leaving his washed up ass to die on his own.

Still can't believe Tyrion really killed Tywin but wow, it'll be interesting to see the fallout of that and I also wonder where Tyrion is being shipped off to. Dany locking up her dragons seemed inevitable at some point but I think there will definitely be consequences for it. You think the dragons were wild before? See how wild they are after you've abandoned them and sealed them away in darkness!

And thank god Stannis showed up at the Wall, it definitely injects a new burst of energy into both Jon's and Stannis' storylines, even with the action-packed battle last week. Bringing those two disconnected plots together is exciting and I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Overall, this was another great season, Game of Thrones has yet to disappoint me with its twists and turns and the way the "game" itself continually plays out. Can't wait till next year!

squidyj

What a shit life Sandor Clegane had. Grew up with a brother that put his face to the fire leaving him disfigured, a father that covered it up, went to work for a sadistic little monster, died in a ditch.

So was the little girl who killed the skeletons chucking GoT-ish chemistry grenades or legit magical fireballs? The arc they were thrown at made em look like nades but the colorful visual also made them look like pure magic.

Filaipus

Banned
So was the little girl who killed the skeletons chucking GoT-ish chemistry grenades or legit magical fireballs? The arc they were thrown at made em look like nades but the colorful visual also made them look like pure magic.

I would say something like magical nades. They only exploded on impact, and they had no trail of fire so yea...

Also, do they do pauses on the recording between the seasons? They should do it LOTR style.

I can't wait for season 5, I'm going to try to read the books now. Best series ever.

Ovid

The old tree dude seems to be a max level warg or something like it. I don't think he actually shapeshifts, but he's basically omniscient with his powerful warging while he chills out down in that stump. Maybe Bran is lined up to be his successor.

Everyone should watch the GoT history vids from the DVD extras. They're on youtube and they'll give you a lot of good info on stuff like that.
He said he has always been watching them. Did he know Bran was going to fall from the tower?

Was the fall the only way he would've developed his abilities? Kind of like how blind people develop fine tuning their sense of hearing?

I dont understand how it could be someone's favourite story as of yet. I mean, there is no story yet. There have been developments, and this one has been the biggest one as of yet, but he has yet to accomplish anything meaningful in a tangible/foreseeable way. It's pretty much been Lord of The Rings with him with all the other stuff removed.
It's not about it being meaningful. It's that it was entertaining and intriguing and left me wanting to know more. I like that LOTR-y shit, but i know I'm in the minority. I've wanted more of Bran's story this entire series and I hope we get more next season.

I guess favorite was too much, but it's what has me most hyped for next season.

Will do! Thanks!

hwateber

I would say something like magical nades. They only exploded on impact, and they had no trail of fire so yea...

Also, do they do pauses on the recording between the seasons? They should do it LOTR style.

I can't wait for season 5, I'm going to try to read the books now. Best series ever.

I'm pretty sure they do pauses. Otherwise I wouldn't notice how tall Bran is getting each season. Pretty sure he's Hodor's height by now

Ovid

It's not about it being meaningful. It's that it was entertaining and intriguing and left me wanting to know more. I like that LOTR-y shit, but i know I'm in the minority. I've wanted more of Bran's story this entire series and I hope we get more next season.

I guess favorite was too much, but it's what has me most hyped for next season.

Will do! Thanks!
I like Bran's storyline. I always have.

I had a feeling Old Nan's stories would be part of his arc. I think that's what drew me in.

demolitio

Can't believe we have to wait a year before the start of the religious crusades or whatever you want to call it. I hope there's more children of the forest and we get to see some tier 1 badassery in magic. My only problem with the one shown tonight is how odd she looked when throwing. At least get someone who looks like they can throw accurately...lol

#TeamOldGods

First time I've done that and I feel dirty. Melisandre needs to cleanse me now.

He said he has always been watching them. Did he know Bran was going to fall from the tower?

Was the fall the only way he would've developed his abilities? Kind of like how blind people develop fine tuning their sense of hearing?

That's what I'm wondering. A lot of this show seems to tie into destiny and how these characters go through these horrible events to become the exact people they need to be to handle a certain situation. There's been a lot of dreams/prophecies throughout the show which is why I've always been interested in the "religious" storylines and where they go from here.

I still think the Old Gods and the Red God are going to go to war.

Ferrio

Banned
I have a friend that said she didn't like fantasy stuff, and if dragons or some such showed up in the show she'd bail. It just keeps getting more fantasy like as it goes, and she's still watching.

Can't believe we have to wait a year before the start of the religious crusades or whatever you want to call it. I hope there's more children of the forest and we get to see some tier 1 badassery in magic. My only problem with the one shown tonight is how odd she looked when throwing. At least get someone who looks like they can throw accurately...lol

#TeamOldGods

First time I've done that and I feel dirty. Melisandre needs to cleanse me now.

I thought the same thing. They really ought to get a little girl who can throw a ball.

I have a friend that said she didn't like fantasy stuff, and if dragons or some such showed up in the show she'd bail. It just keeps getting more fantasy like as it goes, and she's still watching.
just like the frog in an ever warming pot of water

Svafnir

Today got really ridiculous with that skeleton scene that came out of no where. I feel like today had a lot of pacing problems... I just didn't really feel any of the big moments. Note I have not read the books but Tyrion's escape with Jamie just showing up fell super flat for me.

terrene

Banned
Impressions

+ Could've done without the Ygritte funeral. Honestly, she wasn't that important and we said goodbye to her last ep
+ Shae is terrible. Tyrion called it murder but dude she pulled a knife and was about to kill him. Didn't have much sympathy for her no-loyalty-having perjorious ass, I gotta say.
+ Is The Mountain about to be reborn as a fucking mutant? "Will it weaken him" "Oh, no." Okay, so wtf, is he gonna literally be the Hulk now? That's going in a scary direction.
+ Tyrion and Arya going to the Free Cities! Oh it would be delicious if they joined up, but I'm sure Arya's got beef after the whole Ned thing.
+ I think Dany better watch her back with her dragons chained up like that. Without dragons she's just some girl who did a nice thing that worked out for some people, who has made a lot of enemies along the way.
+ Looks like the Iron Bank accepted Stannis' offer. Hopefully the Wildlngs and House Baratheon join up and fight out House Bolton for control of the North next season. Or maybe the White Walkers will get their frosty asses in gear, finally. Either way, shit is finally heating up in the north.
+ I fear King's Landing is pretty much dullsville after this. Cersei and Jamie and Tommen just hanging out, huh? I doubt Cersei will fail to realize that Jamie let Tyrion out, who proceeded to kill her father. Too bad Stannis is coming in from the North because KL has never been more vulnerable.
+ The Brienne/Hound fight was the most brutal one I've seen in the show. First she went straight Tyson on him, then she bashed a rock against his head like she was trying to set it on fire (again). The crotch punch, the bone-out broken leg. I was "holy shit"ing through it all.
+ Almost felt love for Cersei when she decided to stick by her family and told off Tywin, but sticking by her guns on Tyrion made me like "nah." King's Landing is way too weak now though so I'm gonna guess her days are numbered.

Zeliard

It's funny, when the undead skeletons started popping up, I found myself wondering, "I wonder how all those people who didn't want the show to get 'too fantasy' are feeling right about now."

MG310

What a shit life Sandor Clegane had. Grew up with a brother that put his face to the fire leaving him disfigured, a father that covered it up, went to work for a sadistic little monster, died in a ditch.

I'm still hoping that his life is so shitty that he can't even die when he wants to.

Seems like the way things would go for him.

potam

Banned
Seriously, GAF needs to get off Melisandre's dick. She's not that hot guys.

edit: So with the Mountain. I'm not sure how long it's been since the last winter, but what if that ex-maester has dug up some dark secrets, and the Mountain is going to become like an anti-white walker? I'm grasping.

demolitio

I think that's why they SLOWLY eased into the fantasy part of the show. I mean, there were a few weird things in the beginning but it felt more like a Medieval show with all the politics and wars than a strictly fantasy show. My dad said the same thing yet he's still watching and is intrigued because of how they keep reeling people into the magical side of the show.

They like to keep the mystery going but it's also not overloading people who were more into the other parts of the show. We're now finally getting to the point where the fantasy parts matter after so many seasons of the humans worrying about each other than the greater threat.

Winter is coming... Spring 2018.

It's funny, when the undead skeletons started popping up, I found myself wondering, "I wonder how all those people who didn't want the show to get 'too fantasy' are feeling right about now."

That was the biggest shocker to me. It seems they finally reached the point where people either have to live with it or stop watching if the fantasy bothers them because there's no coming back from the common video game enemy skeleton.

I went into this expecting the usual kinda slow, clearing-the-table finale, and instead I got

- fucking Stannis out of nowhere
- god damn incredible Jason and the Argonauts type shit with magical child throwing fireballs and shit
- Hound vs Brienne all-out brawl (with a tragic ending if inevitable ending ;_;7 )
- Tyrion getting shot on the fucking toilet (this was spoiled for me but I'm not sure how much I believed it)

Varys' ship better be going to Bravos. Got damn!

Sajjaja

Impressions

+ Could've done without the Ygritte funeral. Honestly, she wasn't that important and we said goodbye to her last ep
+ I think Dany better watch her back with her dragons chained up like that. Without dragons she's just some girl who did a nice thing that worked out for some people, who has made a lot of enemies along the way.
+ Looks like the Iron Bank accepted Stannis' offer. Hopefully the Wildlngs and House Baratheon join up and fight out House Bolton for control of the North next season. Or maybe the White Walkers will get their frosty asses in gear, finally. Either way, shit is finally heating up in the north.

1) I don't think it was as much as saying bye to Ygritte as much as it was a character moment for Jon. It was the only person, let alone woman, he connected with on an intimate level.
2) Her dragons aren't going anywhere. She also has the Unsullied. The BBD is the one to worry about however.
3) Yo man....Stannis is a dude who respects bloodlines. He could very well make Jon something important in the 7 Kingdoms. I could totally see Arya and Jon meeting up again some time down in the future....oh mann that would be so swelllllll. Arya and Jon killing Roose Bolton and his bastard would be awesome.

So where is the third dragon?

MIA for last 3 days.

squidyj

I thought "this is a little silly" and then the magical grenades started raining down and I thought "this is a lot silly" also in between there was that whole stabbing scene which was super silly.

I guess what I mean is.... you've got magical fireball powers but you just let malevolent energy pile up at your doorstep? Forget the thousand mile journey beyond the wall to get to this place, it's the last 5 feet that will kill you.

And all this anti-fantasy stuff comes from the stigma that fantasy is nerdy and geeky. This is the insecure society we live in. Everyone is so damn insecure about everything. God forbid you watch a show with dragons and fantasy, can't let anyone know! Tell me another reason why there is anti-fantasy? Because it's "unrealistic"? The core reason is because people are insecure about it having a nerdy stigma. Bottom line.

Impressions
+ Tyrion and Arya going to the Free Cities! Oh it would be delicious if they joined up, but I'm sure Arya's got beef after the whole Ned thing.
You just made something click....I keep telling myself I don't give a shite about Dany if she can't control her dragons. And dragons have been commanded before. I bet Tyrion helps her learn to control them. He is the smartest damn person in the show.

I think that's why they SLOWLY eased into the fantasy part of the show. I mean, there were a few weird things in the beginning but it felt more like a Medieval show with all the politics and wars than a strictly fantasy show. My dad said the same thing yet he's still watching and is intrigued because of how they keep reeling people into the magical side of the show.
I think you're completely right----they've eased people in so slowly, that they can't possibly be turned off at this point.

squidyj

Skeletons and fireball girl were totes lame. Too much fantasy.

I don't even care about the amount of fantasy. It just felt so stupid and unmotivated.. like "oh shit we need a final hurdle for them to overcome. we need to inject drama directly into these scenes."

I mean they are literally on the doorstep of what appears to be one of the best places for magic in the known universe and somehow the people there can't deal with their skeleton problem? Why do they have a skeleton problem?

Honestly it played out like a shit tier horror movie. "hey guys look everythings gonna be o-NOPE"

Flandy

This is hands down the best finale they've had so far. God, I was scared shitless when Tyrion didn't escape at first. I was like "You asshole! Go escape already! D:"

Gahh. Anyway, this was my first season watching it live and it's going to suck having to wait a full year to watch season 4. Can't wait for the Blu Ray to come out. Episode 9 will be glorious on blu

I don't even care about the amount of fantasy. It just felt so stupid and unmotivated.. like "oh shit we need a final hurdle for them to overcome. we need to inject drama directly into these scenes."

I mean they are literally on the doorstep of what appears to be one of the best places for magic in the known universe and somehow the people there can't deal with their skeleton problem? Why do they have a skeleton problem?

Honestly it played out like a shit tier horror movie. "hey guys look everythings gonna be o-NOPE"
It fit perfectly. To me, the skeletons are very much trying to stop anyone from getting into the tree, where their enemy lives. But they can't enter themselves. If they can't get in, at least they'll be there to stop anyone who tries to enter. And the people inside don't need to deal with the problem, when they can remain safe inside.

It was a cool scene. This is the arc with two Dr. Doolittles and their superhuman caretaker, it's been signposted clearly as "DUMB MAGIC SHIT THIS WAY". In one of the most magical places in the world, I can sort of buy that the dead can't quite stay dead, especially in a show that's had zombies north of the wall since day fucking one.

The bigger problem is that once they're inside the cave, nothing fucking happens, basically. It's like "yo this is super important! ...see you in a year to find out why".

it's a fantasy show

and if you're rolling your eyes at this because of some silly definition of high vs low fantasy, just don't even

It's just barely a fantasy show. Up to this episode it's mostly been a medieval political show.

Bran's arc is a DnD campaign

Pretty much.

And all this anti-fantasy stuff comes from the stigma that fantasy is nerdy and geeky. This is the insecure society we live in. Everyone is so damn insecure about everything. God forbid you watch a show with dragons and fantasy, can't let anyone know! Tell me another reason why there is anti-fantasy? Because it's "unrealistic"? The core reason is because people are insecure about it having a nerdy stigma. Bottom line.

Um, maybe some people just don't like fantasy. And maybe their dislike of fantasy has nothing to do with insecurity or worries about being seen as a nerd. People have different taste.

squidyj

It fit perfectly. To me, the skeletons are very much trying to stop anyone from getting into the tree, where their enemy lives. But they can't enter themselves. If they can't get in, at least they'll be there to stop anyone who tries to enter. And the people inside don't need to deal with the problem, when they can remain safe inside.

the guy inside was watching them their whole lives, he knew they were coming, he could have yknow, swept up the driveway.

Nameless

The very first scene of the series is Ice Deoms eviscerating fools while a child zombie watches on. That season ended with fire immunity and dragons. What kind of show did people think they were watching? Complaining about a political fantasy being fantastic, GAF really can complain about anything.

My face during the Brienne vs. Hound fight: O___________________________________O

I love that Tywin died in such a pathetic way. He really had no idea who Tyrion was.

Um, maybe some people just don't like fantasy. And maybe their dislike of fantasy has nothing to do with insecurity or worries about being seen as a nerd. People have different taste.
So do you have real reasons you don't like it other than "I just don't like it"? This isn't a food where you can point to your taste buds or what have, it's a huge fiction genre with many layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom