• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madrin

I think he'll end up brain dead. Like Hodor.

I'd like to see every major character end up with Hodor-like brain damage after being injured, so that by the end of the series everyone is communicating by shouting their own names at each other like a bunch of Pokemon. "Jaime.. Jaime Jaime.. Jaime!" "Tyrion... TYRION!!"

Zeliard

Just finished the episode. Helluva thing.

Unfortunately I was spoiled on the Tywin death by a permed asshole a while back. It's rough out here for a moderator.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The only thing I've been spoiled on was Joffrey's death. It happened in a random OT thread here, by a poster I've seen in this very thread tonight. Just dropped that bomb out of nowhere for the attention or whatever. Scary stuff.

ReiGun

The Hound talking about killing her friend and wanting to rape her sister thinking it would make her want to kill him, when in reality it reminded her what a miserable, terrible person he was and he did my deserve the favor of dying a quick death.

Exactly. He played that all wrong. lol

Sajjaja

The only thing I've been spoiled on was Joffrey's death. It happened in a random OT thread here, by a poster I've seen in this very thread tonight. Just dropped that bomb out of nowhere for the attention or whatever. Scary stuff.

You should point him out so we can scare him away.

Nerokis

Okay, amazing fucking episode.

One thing I'm confused about, though: did Jaime actually intend to free Tyrion? I mean, we see this scene where Cersei digs her claws into him, seemingly reinforcing that "we'll burn them all" bond they once shared, and Tyrion does come up; the entire time he's freeing Tyrion, he seems completely passionless, and that escape was coming far too easily; and when Tyrion turns away, I couldn't help but get the impression that he read through Jaime's trap, although it did turn out he had other motives. In the end, we never saw what was waiting for him up those stairs, and Varys' "what have you done?" reaction and willingness to help him when Tyrion did go to him struck me as somewhat ambiguous, as far as the whole "what was Jaime's motive?" thing is concerned. Was Varys referring to Tyrion's escape, or did he suspect Tyrion had interrupted the escape to do something inconvenient?

I suspect Jaime was helping him after all, considering Varys' actions. That's the one scene, though, where I'm really not 100% sure what exactly the show was trying to telegraph.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Fucking awesome episode. Glad it all went down this way. King's Landing is fucked proper. Everyone bailed out.

Well, loved the finale. Sadly, i was spoiled about Tywin on season 2 on IMDB. it was safe most of the time, but someone(an asshole) thought it was fair to make a thread with the spoiler as the name.
Still was really shocked. Such an idiotic way(for tywin) to go, seeing Tyrion said he shouldn't say "whore" again :p

Zeliard

The only thing I've been spoiled on was Joffrey's death. It happened in a random OT thread here, by a poster I've seen in this very thread tonight. Scary stuff.

Someone came up in here and straight up spoiled the Red Wedding too before that episode.

The funny thing is these posters tend to have relatively old accounts; I guess that's one way to account suicide.

At least I got some element of surprise this ep with Tyrion straight up murdering Shae in her bed. Can't say I saw that coming.

KHarvey16

As far as the spoiler stuff goes, I'd look very suspiciously at those posters who seemed to know the mountain was poisoned. I don't read the books and that didn't seem clear to me at all in that episode.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The Hound and Ayra were the most disappointing part of this finale for me---mostly how those two ended. Her being dead quiet and saying just about nothing, while staring past the camera at him was...I dunno. I didn't like it. It dragged on waaaay too long. And they seemed to be trying far too hard to make that moment very, very vague. I don't think she was leaving him there to exact any sort of revenge. I think it was very telling that he was the first one on her list she didn't kill. It wasn't about merciful death to me, but simply she grew to like him too much to kill him. So she left him there. And I'm confident he isn't dead. He is too close to the Vale. Or Brienne stumbles on him and patches him up.

weird interpretation

So did varys really planned to go with tyrion? It seemed like he heard the castle bells and for some reason took it as something bad happened and went like "ohhhh shit i gotta get out of here ASAP son. Tyrion im comin with ya.."

Edit and yeah tyrion killing tywin was spoiled by someone right in this very thread. Said explicitly how tywin gonna get killed lol.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
As far as the spoiler stuff goes, I'd look very suspiciously at those posters who seemed to know the mountain was poisoned. I don't read the books and that didn't seem clear to me at all in that episode.

You can't exclude that they may be discussing the show with someone who knows more than they should, and thus don't actually know that they have been spoiled and are spoiling others.

Trying to have a discussion about something, without spoilers, that is already known is just something you have to take with a large amount of risk.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
One of the producers said Oberyn used poison in HBO's Inside the Episode for ep. 8.

The way Jaime's help of Tyrion to escape came up so suddenly threw me off. It came up out of nowhere kind of and I actually thought Jaime might lead him into some kind of special Cersei trap where Cersei tortures and kills or something diabolical like that. I've been wired to expect the worst out of every situation based on previous events in the show. Legit thought Tyrion would get it.

I'm just going to be so happy and relieved once the show passes the books.

NolbertoS

I think there should be only ONE Game of Thrones OT post. This "NO BOOK SPOILERS" and "BOOK SPOILERS" sometomes confuses alot of people thinking its a OT to talk about the show. Either put the BOOK SPOILERS into another sub forum or merge both. Gets confusing on where to post. Don't know how you guys did it with the Harry Potter movie OT as I'm sure people that read the books woulf want to talk about thr movie and what could happen in the next movie.

My brother called it. He hasn't read the books and staid away from social media the last few weeks out of fear of spoilers.

Sober

I think there should be only ONE Game of Thrones OT post. This "NO BOOK SPOILERS" and "BOOK SPOILERS" sometomes confuses alot of people thinking its a OT to talk about the show. Either put the BOOK SPOILERS into another sub forum or merge both. Gets confusing on where to post. Don't know how you guys did it with the Harry Potter movie OT as I'm sure people that read the books woulf want to talk about thr movie and what could happen in the next movie.
Sub to the NO BOOKS thread, only ever access from subscriptions.

No way to get it wrong.

oatmeal

Banned
Wowzers...

So after Oberyn died, I googled his character name to read up about the actor (I didn't know his real name)...and the fourth thing on the list on Google is "Oberyn poisons Tywin".

I was super butthurt about it for two weeks...so when Tyrion killed him, I was like "OH fuck they must have changed it from the books so people would be able to cheer for Tyrion"

Turns out it was just a fan theory about the books.

@Aurean_Mentat: what part of NO BOOK SPOILERS you didn't understood?

The information I put in spoiler tags was definitely related to WHAT ALREADY HAPPENED IN THE SHOW, so I didn't think it was a spoiler per se, but something that explained Jaime and Tyrion's motivations so much better (and would have made that scene so much sweeter). But I wasn't 100% sure on that, and didn't want to get banned.

Now this is going to kill me, but didn't Jaime mention that specifically in an earlier episode? Or am I insane?

I wouldn't at all. I hadn't read the books at all and came to the conclusion from 3 things.

1) Tywin reveals to us when inviting Prince Oberyn to council that the Prince studied poisons
2) Prince Oberyn is known as the Viper
3) The man readying the Prince's spear is rubbing it down with a cloth. Rubbing the poison on?

A few hours before the episode aired, those 3 things hit me and I predicted the Mountain was going to be poisoned (though I never posted it on here).

@Aurean_Mentat: what part of NO BOOK SPOILERS you didn't understood?
Meh. He made it really clear at least with his spoiler tag that he had something book-related in there. And even this book-related spoiler is mentioned in the show.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

It was like that before. This is better. I don't need to be exposed to any book discussion, spoilered or not. You just gotta read before you click, it's the only way to remain unsullied these days.

Plus, it was honestly annoying to read tons of comments complaining about how the show was adapting the books wrong when you're strictly a show watcher and judging the episodes based on their own merits.

I think the point is that if you read the books you have no need to use this one for real discussion. Unless you want to read it for shit and giggles.

Zeliard

Well, I think we're pretty clear about what each thread is for. And spoilers tend to be pretty conspicuous, honestly. Most of the time the discussion in here is fine. But on occasion we get the person "speculating" who - ta-ha! - has posted in book threads before (don't be that idiot). Or we get the very blatant account-suicide-style super spoiler, and those posters are just canned.

Having two separate threads is fine. I think most of the people who speculate and generally discuss things in here do so in good faith. It's the nature of things that in some cases we can't completely tell for sure, but there's nothing to really combat that.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
So did varys really planned to go with tyrion? It seemed like he heard the castle bells and for some reason took it as something bad happened and went like "ohhhh shit i gotta get out of here ASAP son. Tyrion im comin with ya.."

Yeah, he pretty clearly heard the "someone died alarm" bells from earlier this seaosn and went, "Oh fuck... goddammit..."

Talka

Awesome episode. I was kinda down on the season after Oberyn died, but I'm glad I stuck with it. So much happening, so much in the air. Salvation for John Snow, catharsis for Tyrion and a troubling turn for Ayra. Can't wait for next season.

Quick tangent:

Nah, man. Two threads, forever. Seriously, how could "NO BOOK SPOILERS" and "BOOK SPOILERS" be any clearer?

Espi

Banned

there's this thing called foreshadowing.

shows tend to use it a lot

Zeliard

The information I put in spoiler tags was definitely related to WHAT ALREADY HAPPENED IN THE SHOW, so I didn't think it was a spoiler per se, but something that explained Jaime and Tyrion's motivations so much better (and would have made that scene so much sweeter). But I wasn't 100% sure on that, and didn't want to get banned.

Now this is going to kill me, but didn't Jaime mention that specifically in an earlier episode? Or am I insane?

See, this is another thing that can be a problem. Now I take your posts here 100% in good faith. I think you're trying to genuinely offer information you think others may have missed, and this has been the case with several other posters who have read the books and just wanted to clarify some things.

But it can be difficult to tell what's been divulged in the show itself or what you may know specifically from the books; I've seen that sort of confusion come up a number of times. And while those sorts of spoilers are more understandable and relatively innocuous, they can still lead to show-specific spoilers that this thread would ultimately rather do without.

mr2xxx

Banned
So Shae never really loved Tyrrion, what a bitch. Thought she was going to say something about being forced to testify against him but nope she was ready to murder him.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I wouldn't at all. I hadn't read the books at all and came to the conclusion from 3 things.

1) Tywin reveals to us when inviting Prince Oberyn to council that the Prince studied poisons
2) Prince Oberyn is known as the Viper
3) The man readying the Prince's spear is rubbing it down with a cloth. Rubbing the poison on?

Also, less obviously, The Mountain's brother is elsewhere in the world talking about how poison is a woman's weapon and Arya is like, "I'd do whatever I needed to do for revenge" or something like that...

Espi

Banned
I think there should be only ONE Game of Thrones OT post. This "NO BOOK SPOILERS" and "BOOK SPOILERS" sometomes confuses alot of people thinking its a OT to talk about the show. Either put the BOOK SPOILERS into another sub forum or merge both. Gets confusing on where to post.

Try reading the thread titles, it usually helps.

Sub to the NO BOOKS thread, only ever access from subscriptions.

No way to get it wrong.

also this. if you're going to be a dedicated show thread poster, there's a sub feature.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
So the three-eyed raven can take any form and isn't an old dude, right? Or is it the other way around or some magical god-like being that wants to help people fly (which I laughed and thought about someone throwing Bran off a cliff).

So Shae never really loved Tyrrion, what a bitch. Thought she was going to say something about being forced to testify against him but nope she was ready to murder him.
Shea confuses me....When Varys tried sending her away, she suspected it was secretly Tyrion. And yet when Tyrion sends her away and calls her a whore, she believes it (I think). She cries about it and quotes it in the trial as a witness. So she wasn't smart enough to realize that was a charade? I think she loved Tyrion, until she believed he really thought she was just a whore.
Also, less obviously, The Mountain's brother is elsewhere in the world talking about how poison is a woman's weapon and Arya is like, "I'd do whatever I needed to do for revenge" or something like that...
Ah. That's a good one that I didn't connect.

Try reading the thread titles, it usually helps.

also this. if you're going to be a dedicated show thread poster, there's a sub feature.
Like this is the main way I browse GAF. I go through my subs then click on the individual forums. I'm surprised people don't use the sub feature here.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
So the three-eyed raven can take any form and isn't an old dude, right? Or is it the other way around or some magical god-like being that wants to help people fly (which I laughed and thought about someone throwing Bran off a cliff).

I suspect "fly" is a metaphore... only because the alternative seems stupid as shit.

Ovid

It wasn't mentioned at all.

Tywin mentioned Oberyn dabbling in poisons when he was interrogating him at the brothel. That's about it.

I had no clue The Mountain was poisoned until it was mentioned in this episode. Also, why is he even alive? Didn't he get stabbed through the chest and have his leg ripped to shreds? How can a maester fix that?

The first thing that went though my mind when I saw him on the table was, "Are you fucking kidding me!?".

Return of the Legend!

Q2H7NMb.jpg

Really really hope he shape shifts back into this guy. This actor just fucking nailed it and I want him back so bad.

This is my most hopeful thing for next season. The guy playing him was such a badass. His voice, his facial mannerisms, he stole every scene. I really, really hope he's back. He last line was something like "Jaqen H'ghar is no more" before shape-shifting so I have my doubts it'll be the same actor. :(

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I suspect "fly" is a metaphore... only because the alternative seems stupid as shit.

Yeah, I have no idea what it refers to besides dragons and the birds they can see through. Maybe Bran will be the one to calm Drogon from his rampages and the show becomes all "How to Train Your Dragon".

Ferrio

Banned

It was foreshadowed extremely blatantly, even his nickname gives it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom