• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

potam

Banned
It's too busy killing babies.

police sketch of the suspect:

pitbull_dragon_by_xshadowcrowx-d46rcep.jpg

Rorschach

Stannis answered the call from last season that was sent to everyone. Davos seemed really concerned about it, so he must have talked him into it. I just don't know how the fuck they got there so fast.

Felt bad for Varys when he realized he couldn't go back lol

Daenerys becomes even more despicable...

Arya finally gonna become a badass. Though, I wish she had gone with Brienne who could have been the perfect role model.

Wonder who the new hand is gonna be. Female hand Granny Tyrell? :eek: I can't think of any good candidates off the top of my head. Maybe Littlefinger comes back and he gets the job? That would suck so hard.

Brienne has another oath to keep. Her besting the hound led me to believe sooner or later she will avenge Renly and be the one to take out Stannis. Probably when we start liking the guy knowing how this show is.

Rorschach

Gonna be awesome seeing Mutant Mountain fighting it out with Steampunk Cyborg Hound. I don't know if you guys saw it, but there really was a Grand Maester behind that rock. And he had a silver cog around his neck which means he specializes in robot magix!

+ Almost felt love for Cersei when she decided to stick by her family and told off Tywin, but sticking by her guns on Tyrion made me like "nah." King's Landing is way too weak now though so I'm gonna guess her days are numbered.

She wasn't sticking by her family. She was looking out for her own interests. She just finally found an out. Or, at least, she stopped giving a fuck. She no longer cares about getting outed, but then that just means Stannis gets the throne and she's dead meat anyway...

Is "Bran flying" just going to be Bran mind melding with, and controlling, the black dragon?

That's what I was thinking he'd eventually do, but I think he just meant birds for now. :p Or maybe telekinesis!

Brashnir

She wasn't sticking by her family. She was looking out for her own interests. She just finally found an out. Or, at least, she stopped giving a fuck. She no longer cares about getting outed, but then that just means Stannis gets the throne and she's dead meat anyway...

That's what I was thinking he'd eventually do, but I think he just meant birds for now. :p Or maybe telekinesis!

image.php

is that... Dendi?

squidyj

You're assuming he's powerful enough to do that, perhaps just as the power that animates them is powerless inside the cave, his power is limited outside of it. Plus the fact that they are hidden under the snow means that he can't do anything about them until they come out.

this could all be true, but there isn't much of a hint of it in the show.

this could all be true, but there isn't much of a hint of it in the show.

Not everything need to be spelled out explicitly. You can reasonably deduce the rest from what was shown. By saying "they have no power inside the cave" implies that the power balance is different outside, and the wights were hidden under the snow so obviously whatever firebombs the Children had would not work.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I get that the show has a budget, but Stannis' appearance was somewhat anticlimactic. It felt like he was just storming the camp of a few bunch of boy-scouts. I never got the feeling that there are in actuality 100000(!) wildlings threatening the wall.

Skeleton fight outta nowhere. Jason and The Argonauts/Army of Darkness all up in mah Game of Thrones. Then the kid throwing magical grenades ....they went full fantasy.

Can't wait for next season. Pretty much every storyline took a left turn in that episode setting up season 5 nicely.

Nibel

Every plot line was entertaining

Except Dany
e5YuU.gif
I don't know how often we've seen her sitting on her throne talking to people and doing nothing really substantial. Well of course your black dragon isn't going to respect you

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The wildlings don't have ships, King Stannis does.
The ships thing always seems strange though because shouldn't the water up that far be ice? Completely ice? And as they said, they were completely underdressed. Any weather that's cold enough to keep that wall from even slightly ever melting is definitely going to make any oceans around it frozen too.

Am I wrong?

So maybe there's enough room around one or two of the sides of the Wall?

Derwind

The ships thing always seems strange though because shouldn't the water up that far be ice? Completely ice? And as they said, they were completely underdressed. Any weather that's cold enough to keep that wall from even slightly ever melting is definitely going to make any oceans around it frozen too.

Am I wrong?

So maybe there's enough room around one or two of the sides of the Wall?

The Lord of the Light works in mysterious ways.

TheOddOne

Every plot line was entertaining

Except Dany
e5YuU.gif
I don't know how often we've seen her sitting on her throne talking to people and doing nothing really substantial. Well of course your black dragon isn't going to respect you
Why u don't havez monkey avatarz.

Skeleton fight outta nowhere. Jason and The Argonauts/Army of Darkness all up in mah Game of Thrones. Then the kid throwing magical grenades ....they went full fantasy.

Can't wait for next season. Pretty much every storyline took a left turn in that episode setting up season 5 nicely.
Except Petyr and Sansa.

lewisgone

I think that was the best episode of the show so far. That was amazing! I'm hoping that Tyrion somehow meets up with Dany, because her storyline is the only one I don't find interesting now. Even if the Bran storyline does seem a little crazy, I'm glad something notable finally happened because I was getting really sick of seeing him walk north. But that fight with the skeletons was really intense. Another intense scene was the Brienne v. Hound fight, which could have gone a ton of different ways...I didn't know if Arya or Pod would intervene, couldn't guess who would die....it was nervewracking.

I had lost a lot of interest in the show at the start of this season, but now I'm fully invested again.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Really surprised at all the hate for Dany in this thread, I always thought she'd be a popular character. She WILL be Queen of the Iron Throne mark my words! I've never read the books but that is my wish! And I hope it's with all 3 of her gorgeous dragons by her side (I have a bad feeling for the one that's still loose), that chaining scene tonight broke my heart </3

Was a great excellent finale to this series.
Am thinking of reading the books, but as I'm such a slow reader, was thinking of carrying on from where this season finishes. But I have read that it took stories from a few of the books.

Can anyone recommend which book I would need to start to carry on from now and not have to much overlap?

Dryk

I think that was the best episode of the show so far. That was amazing! I'm hoping that Tyrion somehow meets up with Dany, because her storyline is the only one I don't find interesting now.
Everyone's gotten tired of waiting Dany to come to the plot so we're exporting the plot to her

Really surprised at all the hate for Dany in this thread, I always thought she'd be a popular character. She WILL be Queen of the Iron Throne mark my words! I've never read the books but that is my wish! And I hope it's with all 3 of her gorgeous dragons by her side (I have a bad feeling for the one that's still loose), that chaining scene tonight broke my heart </3

I want to give a shit about Dany. But she's just.. There. Sure, she's doing things I guess. Taking over cities, freeing slaves, realizing that playing Sim City isn't as easy as she thought it would be. But for all this talk of her being the rightful queen, and how the throne will be hers, she's doing jack shit to make it happen right now. When it comes to her scenes I sit there waiting for something interesting, or something that matters to happen. I'm still waiting.

Cipherr

I don't know or care how the books went, but she has been handled horribly in the show. Everytime I see her I know 10 minutes of the episode will be wasted on nothing.

Im tired of hearing someone say her 50 word title, and I'm tired of even seeing her liberate some city after being underestimated. Im just tired of it. Its moving super slow while the other storylines are awesome. Its not that her character is bad. Its that its bad in contrast to all the interesting stuff happening elsewhere in Westeros.

There's a lot of 'whores deserve to die' kind of talk going on in reaction to Tyrion killing Shae. Come on now. Let's not let a fantasy show have everyone leave their senses behind. Too many fucked up things getting said.

No, the fact that she betrayed him, denied their entire relationship, framed him for murder and was the cause of Tyrion's (near) execution is why people say she "deserved" to die.

Nikodemos

Loved how the ending song started right when Varys nopes his ass out of King's Landing. You just know the dominoes have started falling.

Besides season 1, I forget everything Dany has done. How many cities has she liberated? 2?
Astapor, Yunkai, Mereen. I don't think what went down in Qarth technically constitutes a 'liberation'.

just saw it. good finale, very solid :)

stannis finally did something \o/

mance was a big build up for such a polite surrender. nevermind. i enjoyed the arc's completion (so far).

bran's arc had more action this time. skellies! hodor! summer :D good night, sweet jojen.

cersei is sure quite a tilted woman.

brienne vs the hound was intense >___< all that punches in those steel gauntlets >___< i was so ambivalent, i couldnt root for either of them aaaah. will someone rezz the hound, im going to miss him and all of his weird, dry humour...

arya is very pretty, cold but she sure is very pretty *___*

dany :< whhhyyyyyy... those two dragons didn't do naughties. why did she punish them. this is not a good positive reinforcement pet ownership hey

jaime delivered! oh man! i was so happy to see him came through for his brother :> i couldnt actually believe it, tbh. specially because of that small sweet moment where jaime hugged him and kissed his lil brother's hair, i was like, welp ;__; goodbye imp... i thought tyrion would be betrayed and killed at the brink of freedom or something. lol. but ... turned out he killed his father instead???? hahah... what a thing.

he looked so sad when he killed shae though. she was already laying still and he was still holding tightly, squeezing, crying ;__;

death at the toilet :x

good last scene at the end. the horizon. new continent. braavos, here we come !

in another year.

;___;

aaahhh. so glad tyrion didn't bite the dust... but now... the draught begins...

munchie64

What an amazing fucking finale. All the stories took a turn for the awesome. Fucking Stannis came outta know where and kicked ass. Dragons killing kids. Two assholes die. Mystical skeletons and trees and shit (RIP Jojen). And to cap it all off an amazing fight scene. Arya is now cold enough to train with Jaqen.

One of the best episodes of the show!

Now to spend another 30 weeks debating on whether to read the books or wait.

To the people whinging about Dany, if you've ever had to crate train a puppy, you know those feels.

i has puppies. they were crate-trained and now they are properly house-broken. but if one of them makes a mistake, i dont punish the other one, cuz that's kind of derp. idk. they copy / learn from each other, dogs, or my dogs do anyway, so if the one that is displaying good behaviour is rewarded (i.e. not punished), the other one would pick up on the behaviour.

it was SUPER hard to watch Dany chain up those (imaginary) pets ;___;

and yeah, lol, sure, being a just ruler is not a walk in the park. what did she expect. silly dragonmama.

.... still at dany's camp though. for now :3

Nikodemos

I must say, the CGI skeletons looked surprisingly good for a TV show. Even the particle effects were good (like when Meera chops one in half lengthwise with her axe).

sephi22

No one talking about how badass Varys is. I knew he wouldn't betray Tyrion. His testimony during Tyrion's trial left me bitter but he came through at the end

why did he have to leave???? somebody please explain.
Varys knows every corner and hidden passageway of the castle. Tywin's dead body close to Shae's and Tyrion missing from his cell all points to Tyrion killing Tywin and Varys helping him do it.

Nikodemos

why did he have to leave???? somebody please explain.
Cuz the whole thing's gonna go to pieces, and he can't control it anymore. Varys, unlike Baelish, dislikes chaos (he's pretty much Littlefinger's opposite in this respect).

Also because Tyrion's escape links him to Tywin's murder.

I LOVED this shot of the fireball being reflected in Jojen's eyes before it incinerates him...
You can see his eyes beginning to turn blue right before it hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom