• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

The very first scene of the series is Ice Deoms eviscerating fools while a child zombie watches on. That season ended with fire immunity and dragons. What kind of show did people think they were watching? Complaining about a political fantasy being fantastic, GAF really can complain about anything.
Sometimes you kinda forget the high fantasy stuff is there, I guess.

But it's good that they seem to be ramping it up now.

That shot of Melisandre and Snow looking through the fire... My gut feeling is there is something there.

Amazing season. I got into the show a couple months before this season so the wait sucks.

Having the dream team so close and then the Hound get #rekt is a buzzkill.

Tywin finally got his which was a huge emotional cap to the Kings Landing arc. Though now we have 3 charchters heading across the narrow sea.

the guy inside was watching them their whole lives, he knew they were coming, he could have yknow, swept up the driveway.

You're assuming he's powerful enough to do that, perhaps just as the power that animates them is powerless inside the cave, his power is limited outside of it. Plus the fact that they are hidden under the snow means that he can't do anything about them until they come out.

The Dany plot line is boring me.

So Shae never really loved Tyrrion, what a bitch. Thought she was going to say something about being forced to testify against him but nope she was ready to murder him.
Yes she did, but the line between love and hate is really thin. After she was treated the way she did, her love turned into hate, and she wanted to hurt Tyrion.

kingkitty

I will cry if Jon Snow stays another minute at Castle Black in the next season.

We have covered every corner of that damn place, time for Snow to spread his wings.

edit: Also it's a shame how the show has tarnished Shae's name. She didn't deserve to become a one-dimensional asshole who sleeps with Tyrion's father. #teamshaeforever

Cipherr

Im so glad Tywin's "You're my son" didn't tug at the imps heartstrings this go-round. He shrugged that bullshit line off and put an arrow in his chest. Ill admit Im going to miss Tywin, but it was nice to see him get fucked over this episode. First his entire 'legacy' is now an incest ridden failure of a lie, and the cherry on top is he only gets to lament it for a day before dying on the shitter.

If only Cersei could die now I would be pretty satisfied.

A friend sent me this.
original.jpg

Jesus Christ this... Im so glad she is dead. That shit was low. Did they have to have her in his bed waking up saying "Tywin, my Lion" like that? :lol That shit was cold blooded.

Two people took actions with the knowledge that those actions might lead to him being sentenced to death, and he killed them both. Good riddance.

And I have to join in the few people that didn't like the Skeleton scenes. I didn't like that part at all. Went on to long and felt a little forced, but I'm fine with it in the end. It was just corny as hell.

Im so glad Tywin's "You're my son" didn't tug at the imps heartstrings this go-round. He shrugged that bullshit line off and put an arrow in his chest. Ill admit Im going to miss Tywin, but it was nice to see him get fucked over this episode. First his entire 'legacy' is now an incest ridden failure of a lie, and the cherry on top is he only gets to lament it for a day before dying on the shitter.

If only Cersei could die now I would be pretty satisfied.
More than that, the whole Lannister house is done. They have no heir, no gold and a ton of debts. There literally is nothing left for the Lannister name. Tywin's legacy is one that he destroyed his own name.

potam

Banned
More than that, the whole Lannister house is done. They have no heir, no gold and a ton of debts. There literally is nothing left for the Lannister name. Tywin's legacy is one that he destroyed his own name.

Oh man, picture this. Lannister bloodline dies out in the west and they become forgotten. Tyrion ends up across the Narrow Sea, and with his father out of the way, gets to marry a hooker with a heart of gold and create a new Lannister dynasty.

Enco

That was good.

I liked the guy that was guiding Bran. He seemed cool.

The hound and Brienne fighting was dumb. They could have just talked. Arya kinda sucks now. She could've easily done something to diffuse the situation. The very least she could have killed the hound.

Now that Tywin is dead, there are less people to hate. I'm glad he's gone.

Ramsey is the number one person I want to see die.

Apart from Stannis and Dany, who else wants the throne?

Zomba13

I've not read the books but going by what's happened and where it seems to be heading I think the people who don't want fantasy elements in their fantasy medieval political drama should get off the train sooner rather than later.

They are setting up some magic and dragons and zombies and wights (and possible necromancers and dark alchemy). It'll all probably end with fire against ice, dragons against zombies with magic flying everywhere and it'll be glorious.

Madrin

edit: Also it's a shame how the show has tarnished Shae's name. She didn't deserve to become a one-dimensional asshole who sleeps with Tyrion's father. #teamshaeforever

Yeah I've hated Shae for a while but seeing her completely turn on Tyrion and sleep with Tywin was just bizarre after how much she appeared to sincerely love Tyrion.

Arcayne

just finished viewing the finale... goddamnit I love GoT. I'm floored out of my mind on everything that happened in this episode. I will miss ya Hound, fk Shay, and GG house lannister.

goddamnit, we have to wait another year guys :(

demolitio

That was good.

The hound and Brienne fighting was dumb. They could have just talked. Arya kinda sucks now. She could've easily done something to diffuse the situation. The very least she could have killed the hound.

Littlefinger and possibly the Boltons eventually?

That was good.

Arya has no reason to trust Brienne, she's a person carrying a Lannister sword and traveling with a Lannister squire, who's obviously not from the North. Why should she believe that person is genuinely trying to help her, instead just wanting to capture her and take her back to King's Landing. If one thing Arya has learned in all her travails, it's that trusting too easily can be hazardous to one's health.

A few questions...

1. Why was Stannis in the North? I missed the pre-show recap. I thought once he got his gold from the Iron bank, he's take Kings Landing ASAP and claim his crown.

2. Why didnt Arya mercy-kill the Hound? Yes he has done some terrible things but he also saved her from being captured at the Red Wedding, has some kind of affection for her (that I think she would be aware of) and she witnessed some kindness from him, when he mercy-killed that old guy a few weeks back.

I also wonder if Danearys' big dragon could turn rogue. Maybe it doesnt want to take orders from its master, and Dany and the two smaller dragons will have to hunt it down?
I will also be very disappointed if we dont see anymore frost Giants. I think they are the coolest looking creatures in the whole series.

Damn that was an awesome finale.

Everyones story pretty much had a cool cliffhanger except the mother of dragons. Her story is to the point of hilarious.

TYRION LIVES! Therefore, I will not be spoiling the rest of the series for myself.

Kind of weird but I also liked Tywin as a character after reading about his backstory through some youtube videos and the wiki.

NJDEN

I'm so glad Tyrion made it out alive, when he went on his little rampage I was so expecting him to just get killed by a guard or something horrible.

I feel bad for the hound, but now that Aryia and other major characters are heading over to the other continent I'm sure some interesting paths will intersect.

Its my guess that Stannnis will use the the wildling army to strengthen his own military with the promise of freedom under his rule as king.

At this point the weakest link is the Vale who cannot really be attacked, but cannot really attack anyone else either.

As for Bran, I thought the skeleton attackers were pretty well done and I'm really excited that since the series is very well established now and probably has enough money to introduce more magic and GCI elements that don't look crumby or anything.

Also, Ser Gregor Clegane is coming back as Darth Vader or whats going to happen with that?

So do you have real reasons you don't like it other than "I just don't like it"? This isn't a food where you can point to your taste buds or what have, it's a huge fiction genre with many layers.

I dislike fantasy just because I think it is stupid. That's why I prefer GoT over LOTR.

Svafnir

I find a lot of traditional fantasy to be boring and... well I just don't really enjoy it. I liked Game of Thrones as it seemed a lot less fantasy and more political drama with crazy sabotage and intrigue, the little fantasy that it focused on was fine with me. Even the White Walkers are fine to me still, they have been in the background mostly. This last episode fully jumped into crazy pants area and it just didn't seem like it fit. Those random Skeletons, what.

A few questions...

1. Why was Stannis in the North? I missed the pre-show recap. I thought once he got his gold from the Iron bank, he's take Kings Landing ASAP and claim his crown.

2. Why didnt Arya mercy-kill the Hound? Yes he has done some terrible things but he also saved her from being captured at the Red Wedding, has some kind of affection for her (that I think she would be aware of) and she witnessed some kindness from him, when he mercy-killed that old guy a few weeks back.

I was wondering about both those things myself. I hope someone answers those questions. Is Arya just an incredibly ice cold borderline sociopath now?

Real Hero

I find a lot of traditional fantasy to be boring and... well I just don't really enjoy it. I liked Game of Thrones as it seemed a lot less fantasy and more political drama with crazy sabotage and intrigue, the little fantasy that it focused on was fine with me. Even the White Walkers are fine to me still, they have been in the background mostly. This last episode fully jumped into crazy pants area and it just didn't seem like it fit. Those random Skeletons, what.
It's not random. If freshly killed bodies can be brought back, why not ones completely rotted away? I don't see it as much of a stretch.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Best season ender yet! Usually episode 9 is the big one but I didn't care for last week, but this week was a 10/10.

First I was SO nervous during the Brienne vs Hound fight as it was rough and oh so brutal and don't want her to die (she's one of my four faves along with Cersei, Tyrion and Danaerys)

2nd I CANNOT believe Tyrion actually survived! I was so sure there was no more way out for him! And he took out the trash before he left <3

3rd...now begins the agonizing 10 month wait for season 5

kingkitty

I was wondering about both those things myself. I hope someone answers those questions. Is Arya just an incredibly ice cold borderline sociopath now?

The Hound was on her list...and I guess the best way to punish the Hound for his deeds was to deny him the one thing he wanted so badly, which was instant death.

If you think fantasy is stupid i think your watching the wrong show...

I'm sorry but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. The fantasy element is apart of GoT but that is not what makes GoT an amazing show that shatter viewing records. If you for one second think this show is drawing in millions of people because its fantasy arc then you are the one that is truly lost. You are better off watching the sc fi channel if you are in it for the fantasy element. I however can dismiss the fantasy elements and enjoy the other 99 brilliant things this show presents.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm sorry but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. The fantasy element is apart of GoT but that is not what makes GoT an amazing show that shatter viewing records. If you for one second think this show is drawing in millions of people because its fantasy arc then you are the one that is truly lost. You are better off watching the sc fi channel if you are in it for the fantasy element. I however can dismiss the fantasy elements and enjoy the other 99 brilliant things this show presents.
I get your point, but Real Hero has a point too; the show's very first scene showed undead creatures, for crying out loud. Anyone who's still bitching about the fantasy element deserves a bit of an eye roll.

Real Hero

GOT is fantasy. I'm not arguing why it popular it's just a fact the show is fantasy.

I get your point, but Real Hero has a point too; the show's very first scene showed undead creatures, for crying out loud. Anyone who's still bitching about the fantasy element deserves a bit of an eye roll.
Word. And we get dragons in the finale of season 1. I don't think you get much more fantasy than dragons, unless we get a unicorn in season 5.

potam

Banned
Anyone want to refresh me on what the iron coin Arya has does? I know she got it from Faceless dude, but did it have any "special power"?

Radec

Stannis is amazing in this finale.

A worthy of the name one true king in his prime!

Also, why does the black dragon isn't there to get chained too?

Anyone want to refresh me on what the iron coin Arya has does? I know she got it from Faceless dude, but did it have any "special power"?

Probably just some secret token being passed on by an organization of men in bravos.

Those skeletons are just wights with bodies so old that all that's left are the skeletons.

Derwind

And there is a reoccuring theme of dead people coming back to life, gods that intersect with humanity, mythical creatures, magicians/magic...

Its just portrayed in a way that doesn't overtake the show itself which also has politics, war, dark romance and drama...

The show has its faults but I am hardly surprised or upset that skeletons would be a part of them.

Can't wait for Brans flying lessons.

Arcayne

I read this in Tyrions voice. Reminds me of his "if you have come for justice, you've come to the wrong place" chat with Oberyn.

But yeah, the show is overwhelmingly fantasy based. Not sure why you're exacerbating and hyperbolizing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom