• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hound and Brienne fight was so stupid. Dick measurement contest at its maximum. What a shitty way to die for nothing.

Brienne admitting to assisting Jamie Lannister and she got a badass sword for her trouble. Combine that with a story about making a promise to Cat Stark and, at least on the surface, things don't match up.

As far as The Hound and Arya knew, why would she be trusted?
The Hound saw her as a potential threat that could try taking Arya. He acted.

Zeliard

We had White Walker in the first episode. I'm so confused why people are bitching about the fantasy elements in a fantasy show. I can only imagine it will become more entrenched as the story goes on with the eventual showdown of the White Walkers.

It's always seemed clear that the disparate magical elements would inevitably converge and become central to the main plot. People who don't particular like the fantasy but can stomach it if it ties into the plot more significantly will be annoyed at stuff like Bran's story now but probably be fine waiting to see how the show puts the pieces together.

But some people in general just have a great dislike for anything fantastical in their stories, so I imagine the show will inevitably drive them away as it goes further in that direction.

I have to say, though, that I wasn't too hot on that skeleton scene in particular. Mysterious wood elf girl slinging explosive magic at risen skeletons veers a bit too close to fantasy cliche for my tastes, and I adore the genre. There are dragons too, sure, but their sheer bestial nature divorces them pretty nicely from the way they're often depicted in popular fantasy. The skeleton scene itself just came off a bit trite for my taste, but if GRRM's style is any indication I expect that storyline will ultimately subvert expectations.

Fox1304

Brienne admitting to assisting Jamie Lannister and she got a badass sword for her trouble. Combine that with a story about making a promise to Cat Stark and, at least on the surface, things don't match up.

As far as The Hound and Arya knew, why would she be trusted?
The Hound saw her as a potential threat that could try taking Arya. He acted.
"Let's kill each other just in case."
And Arya just looking without a word or an once of interest about the woman claiming having taken a sacred oath to her mother.

yulian

Neo Member
We don't know he's dead for sure...

I was discussing that with a friend last night. Sorry if others have mentioned it here and I'm repeating something. But when people die in the show, you see it. They always make a point of showing a limp body or the light (or more) going out of the eyes or whatever. The fact that we heard him begging as Arya walked away instead of watching him slowly fade definitely seems like he'll live somehow.

Enco

The whole Sansa/Arya thing is an incredibly obnoxious plot contrivance. Okay. Your aunt died. So you're just not going to go in AT ALL? Not to pay your respects? Not to ask for a place to rest for a night? Come the fuck on. People don't behave that way.

"Welp, we just came hundreds of miles but auntie died so let's keep walking". Nah. Sorry.
I agree that was kinda silly.

How is she a douchebag?!?
She let the hound and Brienne fight?

She didn't say bye to the hound? She didn't kill him? She silently walked away and stole his money?

All douche moves. The fight could have been prevented. Even if it wasn't, she could have ended the hound like he asked. After all he did for her...

tino

Banned
Show me better animated skeletons in anything with a remotely comparable budget.
They looked great for what they needed to be.

I would be happy with a much slower and creepier skeleton army.

Jojen's stupid ass just need to be slowly dragged into ground.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

She didn't say bye to the hound? She didn't kill him? She silently walked away and stole his money?

All douche moves. The fight could have been prevented. Even if it wasn't, she could have ended the hound like he asked. After all he did for her...

He was on her death list, Arya doesn't fuck around.

Siegcram

That dude held her hostage for an undetermined amount of time and would have sold her to anyone making a reasonable offer. She was essentially a piece of cattle to him.

How does she owe him anything? Not to mention that he wasted their last moments together reminding her what a monster he was/is.

Dude deseved everything he got and then some.

Arya didn't care for the hound. Why would she prevent him from fighting? Not like she can stop whatever he does anyway. Plus Arya wanted the hound dead from the very beginning ever since he killed the butcher's son.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
That dude held her hostage for an undetermined amount of time and would have sold her to anyone making a reasonable offer. She was essentially a piece of cattle to him.

How does she owe him anything? Not to mention that he wasted their last moments together reminding her what a monster he was/is.

Yep, just because it looked like she was warming up to him, she was still going to kill him, one way or the other.

Enco

He was on her death list, Arya doesn't fuck around.
So why didn't she kill him?

True that he isn't a great person but he still saved her on numerous occasions.

She could have had the decency to end him.

Duallusion

Y'know, between the blue-eyed zombies, dragons, huge wolfs, giants, warlocks, shapeshifters, smoke demons, wargs and the lot, it was the skeleton scene with the magical tree and the whole mysterious quest tied to it that most jarringly reminded me what genre this belongs to. I'm not complaining or anything, I just find it interesting.

She really had no reason to stop the fight, Breanne wasn't to be trusted, she wanted to take Arya which as far as Arya is concerned, could have been a much worse situation for her considering she just found out that she had some association with the Lannisters.

I took the way Arya left the hound differently, and in the end I think he would have appreciated it. The whole time they were together what did he try to teach her? That she's too soft and that being soft will get her killed, Arya proved to him that he taught her well and she listened by walking away, cold hearted, but it's the type of person he kept trying to turn her into because he wanted to protect her.

Holy shit guys, I found a deleted scene of the skeleton fight!

194.gif

Siegcram

So why didn't she kill him?

True that he isn't a great person but he still saved her on numerous occasions.

She could have had the decency to end him.
He did so to ensure his own gain, not because he gave a shit about her.
After all she's been through, of which much is a direct result of the Hound's doing, I don't blame her for defying his final order (he wasn't begging or pleading).

THRILLH0

Banned
Arya is emotionally broken.

I thought the Hound made it pretty clear why when he listed all the people close to her who have died.

Can't really understand people complaining about her demeanor.

imtehman

Banned
Fucking hell. Probably. This is how I felt about the Hound/Brienne fight -- I like both, didn't want either one to kill each other, but knew there was a distinct possibility that one of them would still end up dead. I can see GRRM using this similar kind of set-up among the whole cast, like you said -- some characters getting their revenge on others, and the viewers/readers feeling conflicted the whole time over it because you like both sides.

Yep. I'm already dreading the idea of Jaime and Tyrion getting owned after all they've been through just because they have the name Lannister. I recall Tyrion saying "The North will never forget"

I'm already preparing myself for Assassin Arya killing htem both.

Carbonox

Let's be honest here, if there is one thing that will never look good on TV or film no matter how much you try or how much money you throw at it, it's skeletons being 'alive'. They will always look daft as fuck.

Could have made them more zombie-esque with more hanging flesh and whatnot but whatever, it did the job.

image.php

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Arya killed the Hound the best way she could. By letting him suffer.

If she'd actually killed him, with her "Needle", it'd be an act of kindness, of friendship. Arya and The Hound were not friends. At all. The Hound was her captor. He was holding her against her will. Taking her back to a place she doesn't want to go. And Brienne was gonna do the same.

She let them fight it out because she didn't want to go back to either place they wanted to take her. It gave her a chance to hide.

The question is if The Hound had won, would she have still gone with him? Probably not. She would have hidden from him too. Though he'd probably have found her eventually. Using the other horse they stole.

He even tried to get her to have mercy by telling her awful things in order to give her a reason to do it. She knew he would do that and she knew he wanted her to end it.

Arya is a boss. She knows what she's doing. And now she's a free independent woman who don't need help from no man. (How old is Arya in the show? I'm so afraid to even look at the GOT Wiki at this point.)

If she'd actually killed him, with her "Needle", it'd be an act of kindness, of friendship. Arya and The Hound were not friends. At all. The Hound was her captor. He was holding her against her will. Taking her back to a place she doesn't want to go. And Brienne was gonna do the same.

She let them fight it out because she didn't want to go back to either place they wanted to take her. It gave her a chance to hide.

The question is if The Hound had won, would she have still gone with him? Probably not. She would have hidden from him too. Though he'd probably have found her eventually. Using the other horse they stole.

He even tried to get her to have mercy by telling her awful things in order to give her a reason to do it. She knew he would do that and she knew he wanted her to end it.

Arya is a boss. She knows what she's doing. And now she's a free independent woman who don't need help from no man. (How old is Arya in the show? I'm so afraid to even look at the GOT Wiki at this point.)
Again, I think this sees the relationship as too simple and black and white if you think they weren't friends even a little.

Zeliard

i'm so glad people finally got to witness the true boss of the game, stannis.

I've long been a fan of Stannis as a character. Awesome to see him really shake things up.

People dislike him because he's so distant and cold. I think he's interesting for precisely those reasons.

He's also had the best claim to the throne this entire time. Screw the pretenders.

Exactly, even though he's saved her life, it doesn't mean she has forgiven him for killing her friend, and that doesn't make her a douche.

I've long been a fan of Stannis as a character. Awesome to see him really shake things up.

People dislike him because he's so distant and cold. I think he's interesting for precisely those reasons.

He's also had the best claim to the throne this entire time. Screw the pretenders.
As long as Brienne lives Stannis will be in danger.

Also, I thought the Brienne/Hound duel was one of the best in the series. Very tense and I had no idea who would come out alive. Brienne proved she's one seriously tough sonofabitch.

You have to keep in mind that sandor was weakened by the infected wound

Did anyone else have an "oh shit" moment when Stannis charged into the forest with cavalry? My experience with the Total War games has taught me that charging blindly into a wooded area where there may be a lot of infantry troops with spears waiting is a good way to get slaughtered. Your cavalry are used for shock or slaughtering an army that's being routed out in the open. I can buy that the 100k wildlings lacked the discipline and tools necessary to fight back, but there was a moment where I thought Stannis' army was going to get slaughtered.

I agree with all this. The one true king!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom