• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
What are your top three highlights from the last seasons? (you can put 2 more honourable mentions if you have lots)

For me, top three highlights:
  1. Joffrey's death - So so so so satisfying. The details they went into, his agony as life spun out of him, the face shots, the leading up to it with how he bullied Tyrion etc. Was very satisfying death.
  2. The Mountain vs The Viper - this one will haunt me for awhile. Sometimes I still get the echo of Oberyn's screaming when I think about GoT... Graphic. And done to one of the show's most loved persona, too. ;__; And I kept thinking how terrifying it must be. To die the way your sister had. So helpless and so brutal.
  3. Tyrion's revenge. He loved Shae. He loved her very much, and he had to kill her with his own hands. Then, that little shot of him dragging the crossbow to the privy. And how he took his father's life. Tywin even admitted that he had always wanted him dead. I don't know how hard it must be for Tyrion to finally hear those words from his father's lips.
Those are actually my top 3 favorite moments of the season as well, just not in that order. My favorite was Tyrion's revenge, god we needed that so bad. Next up is Joffrey's death; screw him. Lastly its The Mountain vs The Viper. YOU RAPED HER, YOU MURDERED HER! those lines still echo in my mind. only wish that the Viper won. After this death I learned that I got to stop getting emotionally invested in characters, they just do it so they can rip out my heart. :(

I honestly don't mean to be a dick, but can we also have rules in place asking posters not to make comments about the books even in relationship to "My friend says this is cooler in comparison" or "this part was different". I think there is still much danger that route for being spoiled.

I agree 100%. There are other threads about the fucking books, keep that stuff there. I swear, some book readers are the worst with their little hints and "but it's not a spoiler" bullshit. I'd just like one place completely free of them.

Jackpot

Banned
I found a neat comic book adaption of the Viper vs Mountain fight

http://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com/...r-vs-the-mountain-that-rides-a-12-page-comic/

rv_01_redux_web.png

Loakum

Banned
I'm still wondering...what the heck happened to Jon Snow's Uncle Benjen? Also, what was up with that comet they repeatedly showed in season 1? The reason why I'm asking about the comet is because it's still shown everytime Game of Thrones comes on. It must has some sort of importance.

Note: before I get the usual NeoGaf smart ass reply "what are you asking us for?" I'm just stating things I'm wondering about.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
My problem with Danys arc is that it has pretty much plateaued. It started really awesome in S1....forced into an awful marriage, having to cope with a new way of life, manning up (gold crown...).

Then it continues to get awesome as she is free slaves and sacking cities. Roasting masters and freeing slaves. And everything is going awesome, and then one of her guys says "hey, why don't you stay here and rule over your people a bit". That's when it all kind of goes to shit.

I don't know how many scenes I can take of her sitting on the throne, her titles being read, and some guy coming up to ask for something. I get that's it good 'character development' of her learning to rule, but it's realllllly boring to watch over and over again.

Absolutely agree. This season in Mereen may work better in a book setting for character building purposes, but it is getting really boring for those of us watching the tv show. They didn't even bother showing what Daario was up to at Astapor. Next season better be more like season 2 or 3 at least for Dany.

The problem I think Dany faces is the question of what to do with the slaves she's freed. She can't just haul them all to Westeros, and she can't simply free them and then leave them on their own. Damned if do, damned if you don't scenario. Her problem was not being able to play the long game of securing the iron throne, rather than getting quagmired into the short term issue of ending slavery. She didn't have the back level support (ie a safe base/city of operations) to carry out a grand campaign of abolishing slavery. She needed to get troops, get ships, haul ass to Westeros, take the Kingdoms, and then worry about ending slavery in that region. She would then be able to so with the seven kingdoms to her back, not to mention being in a place where slavery is already illegal.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
5dX3YkV.png

He was spoiling us all along..
What episode was that from BTW?

Different angle. Could be the same structure.
Nah. It definitely looks smaller or at least compressed. In the original it was the highest tallest structure around, higher than all the surrounding mountains. Now it's squatter and lower with a giant mountain right next to it. But it does make it clearer that there is an arch under the castle for dropping people through.

What episode was that from BTW?

Nah. It definitely looks smaller or at least compressed. In the original it was the highest tallest structure around, higher than all the surrounding mountains. Now it's squatter and lower with a giant mountain right next to it. But it does make it clearer that there is an arch under the castle for dropping people through.

that one was from when Littlefinger talks Robin to go and tour the Vale.

the squatter structure is the bloody gate, dude. the eyrie is the thing behind it. to the right.

Philippo

I'm still wondering...what the heck happened to Jon Snow's Uncle Benjen?

I too have thought about him during the episode. The wildlings didn't kill him, so if he's dead he probably is a wight(ornwhatever they're called)? I also thought he was the old man Bran met in the cave, before they showed his face. I don't know, have this feel he'll come back.

Those are actually my top 3 favorite moments of the season as well, just not in that order. My favorite was Tyrion's revenge, god we needed that so bad. Next up is Joffrey's death; screw him. Lastly its The Mountain vs The Viper. YOU RAPED HER, YOU MURDERED HER! those lines still echo in my mind. only wish that the Viper won. After this death I learned that I got to stop getting emotionally invested in characters, they just do it so they can rip out my heart. :(

Trueeeee. His lines echo in my head sometimes. And that remixed song didnt help... lol

I would have to agree with you on you're Highlights!

Also like to add... Any time there was a Dragon on the screen! haha :)

Dragons are fun :D

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
that one was from when Littlefinger talks Robin to go and tour the Vale.
Which episode was that? How long ago?

the squatter structure is the bloody gate, dude. the eyrie is the thing behind it. to the right.
I know what the Gate is. The big castle on the mountain in both pictures is still not the same castle at all. Just look at them. They're not the same building. And it's not the same mountain range at all. They look similar, what with the domes on the top in the right place, but a lot is missing from the new one and the mountain is a lot shorter.

It's obvious they modified it so you could see the Eyrie from the angle they were filming the gate from in the season 4 shot.
It's still a big castle on a mountain. Just not the one we originally saw. It looks more epic in season 1. All big and looming on top of the highest mountain looking down on everything. Now it has a mountain looking down on it and an ocean... of what is probably just fog.

Either way, it's a hell of a lot of walking and stair climbing just to get from the gate to the castle. Wouldn't even be able to use horses for most of that trip to the front door.

Some characters have really gone AWOL on the show, Uncle Benjen, Blackfish (Catelyn's uncle), Gendry, Osha, Rickon Stark and maybe Syrio Forel (I have a feeling he dead tho).

Which episode was that? How long ago?

I know what the Gate is. The big castle on the mountain in both pictures is still not the same castle at all. Just look at them. They're not the same building. And it's not the same mountain range at all. They look similar, what with the domes on the top in the right place, but a lot is missing from the new one and the mountain is a lot shorter.

It's obvious they modified it so you could see the Eyrie from the angle they were filming the gate from in the season 4 shot.

It's still a big castle on a mountain. Just not the one we originally saw. It looks more epic in season 1. All big and looming on top of the highest mountain looking down on everything. Now it has a mountain looking down on it and an ocean... of what is probably just fog.

Either way, it's a hell of a lot of walking and stair climbing just to get from the gate to the castle. Wouldn't even be able to use horses for most of that trip to the front door.

the DARK SANSA episode :O .... like the one before the mountain and the viper. i think.

the Eyrie no doubt has been modified as the season goes. does it bother you very much? :O

Holy crap I totally forgot about Benjen Stark... probably dead?

From the GoT wiki

Upon arriving at Castle Black Jon begins his training. Benjen tells Jon that he is going north of the Wall on a ranging. Jon asks to go with him, but Benjen tells him that he is not ready and cautions that on the Wall a man only gets what he earns, not what his birth entitles him to. Benjen says farewell to his friend Yoren, a recruiter for the Watch. He also exchanges words with Tyrion, who is about to head south with Yoren. Benjen feels that Tyrion holds the Watch in disregard despite Tyrion's protests to the contrary.

Benjen's horse returns to Castle Black, but there is no sign of Benjen himself. Shortly after, two of the rangers who accompanied Benjen, Othor and Jafer Flowers, are found dead in the forest beyond the Wall. They are brought back to Castle Black for Maester Aemon to study, but in the middle of the night they reanimate as wights. Both are killed again and their bodies are burned.Lord Commander Jeor Mormont vows to take the Watch beyond the Wall in force to investigate what's going on and promises Jon that they will find Benjen alive or dead.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
the DARK SANSA episode :O .... like the one before the mountain and the viper. i think.

the Eyrie no doubt has been modified as the season goes. does it bother you very much? :O
Nope. I wouldn't have even noticed it if someone hadn't made a picture. Until they brought it back this season I only remembered that whole area as "the part of the show where the middle aged woman was breastfeeding her 12 year old son and someone fell through a hole in the floor" that we never saw again until this year. (Maybe we saw it before then? I dunno.)

Mario007

Some characters have really gone AWOL on the show, Uncle Benjen, Blackfish (Catelyn's uncle), Gendry, Osha, Rickon Stark and maybe Syrio Forel (I have a feeling he dead tho).

Well look at how Barristan has done the same in S1 and came back in S3. You just never know when they'll show up. Having said that, some of them (like Gendry) have really only been plot devices for other characters to develop so I wouldn't expect their return.

Loakum

Banned
I too have thought about him during the episode. The wildlings didn't kill him, so if he's dead he probably is a wight(ornwhatever they're called)? I also thought he was the old man Bran met in the cave, before they showed his face. I don't know, have this feel he'll come back.
yeah, he literally just vanished. After 4 seasons and not even a clue to what may have happened to him. Scary stuff.

I know it's probably been said but I am seriously loving the little remixes they are doing to the theme song and they both elicit different emotions from me. The one in the final episode literally sent chills down my spine and the one in the previous episode where Jon jumped down the elevator got me hyped as fuck.

Plot twist, Jaqen and Syrio are the same person.
As much as people have joked about this, I can see it happening. Jaqen was captured in King's Landing, where we last saw Syrio. And he can change his face. I hope it isnt though...they both have unique personalities I love, and it'd be dumb as Hell to ruin one for the other.

LakeEarth

[*]Littlefinger and Lysa's death at the moon door. I kept thinking how harrowing it must be, as she fell through the air, realising that even after everything she had done for him, he would forever despise her. He only loved Cat, and even if Lysa burns the world for Littlefinger, he will still push her to her death. That realisation, and the impending crash against the ground, and her face, was a great death scene, for me. Plus, that lead-up, with Littlefinger cruelly insinuating that he might have fallen for her.... AND THEN PUSH!

Pointed this out after the episode happened, weird coincidence (unless Louis CK reads the books) regarding stupid Lisa/Lysa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3li_aZWt-r0&t=3m25s

I know it's probably been said but I am seriously loving the little remixes they are doing to the theme song and they both elicit different emotions from me. The one in the final episode literally sent chills down my spine and the one in the previous episode where Jon jumped down the elevator got me hyped as fuck.

Yeah same here, I need that one from last episode, the choir was perfect. I wonder if that might be Arya's new theme since she's never really had one, you never hear the Stark theme anymore and the only characters who still have their themes played regularly are Tyrion, Stannis and Daeny.

Respect

Finally caught up tonight, stoked Ayra is heading to maybe reunite with Jaqen, was bummed she didn't go with him her first chance, but better late then never! Sucks about the hound, but its worth it if she re-ups with Jaqen.

Stannis was a sort of WTF moment, but was a nice twist, he was obviously going to show up with a new army, but figured it would be at king's landing though, not beyond the wall.

Good on Tyrion, dude deserved some justice and was glad it was Jaime that busted him out.

But damn, it is going to be probably another 10 months until the next season, /tears.

...that was the Stark theme. Compare 1.15-onwards here to the intro of the theme used in the episode.

You're right, the intro is the Stark theme, the rest of it is the main theme which is all I remembered. Good to know that at least a snippet of it was used. In that case, hopefully her theme is the choir version of the Stark theme.

The last time we heard it was when Bran and Jon almost reunited at Crasters, pretty sure that's the only other time we heard it this season.

Also, thank you for the link, didn't think the song was available yet.

ReiGun

We lost all the best ether spitters this season. Tywin, Joffery, and the fucking Hound. Season 5 is gonna be a little less bright without them.

I think he might have died and may have turned into a white walker.We probably won't get an answer anytime soon anyway, so speculate away!

Blader

I really think Benjen Stark became a White Walker. I don't know if that's really how White Walkers work (though we see that one baby being transformed into one, so...) but that's just my gut feeling on it. The White Walkers are obviously going to be a huge menace down the road, but they can't be completely alien to the characters (or the audience), there's gonna need to be a face and a voice to put on them -- which I think will end up being Benjen's role.

I really think Benjen Stark became a White Walker. I don't know if that's really how White Walkers work (though we see that one baby being transformed into one, so...) but that's just my gut feeling on it. The White Walkers are obviously going to be a huge menace down the road, but they can't be completely alien to the characters (or the audience), there's gonna need to be a face and a voice to put on them -- which I think will end up being Benjen's role.
I hope the white walkers become a real threat at some point. We were told the end of summer was drawing to a close 4 seasons ago....where the heck is winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom