• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubus

Ugh kinda tempted to read you know what but no websites that offer free worldwide book delivery have the books compilation in stock. I could always go amazon but i have to pay a separate shipping fee since i live in chile. Maybe later when i get an actual job i can afford that expense.
I give into temptation and I ordered the first book... I just can't stand the wait anymore and my fear for spoilers is getting out of hand. My best friend at school read the books and while she's really taking care not to tease or spoil anything, but there are few things I would've rather not known although they're not really big spoilers. And apparently a couple of things are different in the books and that intrigues me.

The book wasn't in stock so I'll get it somewhere in July, but I did notice that the store I ordered it from jacked up the price by €10 (!!) after I placed my order (which was last Sunday). The books must be getting a huge sales boost now that the season has ended, so I wouldn't be surprised if some stores are going to raise their prices now. Bastards :p

Ikael

This might be the best season of a TV show I've ever seen. It had so many big moments. A lot of people have suggested books 4 and 5 aren't nearly as interesting, but I'm hopeful the show can make something great out of them.

Have the writers stated if they intend to combine books 4 and 5 to make seasons 5/6 of the show? I've seen speculation that's how they'll handle it.

Thing is, they have already started to trow in bits of book 4 and 5 in this season, like Bran's arc, and in some rare instances, even beyond that.

Next season will definetly merge books 4 and 5 due to them being far less dense than previous books, with some bits of the yet to be released book 6. We're all going to be aboard the same spoilerboat soon, mates :p

I very much doubt that Stannis would forgive Roose's past crimes. Stannis is someone who places a lot of value in honor (although ironically I don't find him to be particularly honorable). Unlike the many schemers, I don't see him being able to work alongside someone who he believes is dishonorable, no matter how beneficial it would be for him. Even Davos who he knighted for saving his and his soldiers lives with his onions, he still had to cut off his fingers as punishment for smuggling.

Is that how it actually went down? I remember Davos losing his fingers on the explosion that killed his son during the attack on King's Landing. I thought he just made that up to build up Stannis for the Iron Bank's people benefit.

Vagabundo

Great wrap up to the season. I loved how it opened up interesting new possibilities for the surviving characters.

Great season, although I think they should have swapped episode 8 and 9. The Oberyn vs Mountain fight should have been the climax of the season. The defense of the wall was fun and interesting but not as climactic as that duel.

Not sure if posted yet but I found this mildly amusing. Lena Headey(Cersei) and Jimmy Kimmel talk Game of Thrones style

That was pretty funny. And boy oh boy is she ridiculously good looking.

pk06WOV.png

Nice, so hopefully he's back next season or at some point. I really liked his character and it bothered the hell out of me that his involvement just ended the way it did. With a post like that though it makes me wonder if they had already shot more footage of what happens next and he was expecting it to make it in at some point this season.

Great wrap up to the season. I loved how it opened up interesting new possibilities for the surviving characters.

Great season, although I think they should have swapped episode 8 and 9. The Oberyn vs Mountain fight should have been the climax of the season. The defense of the wall was fun and interesting but not as climactic as that duel.

think they did it in the right order. We needed a palate cleanse after that.

It must be said though, Tyrion's face at the end of the episode makes me laugh every time.

"WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED"

This has probably been answered (and I don't want answers from book folk acting like they are just guessing) but why were people sure that Arya was off to Bravos?

I thought the whole reason she showed him to coin was to get him to take her north where she wanted to go as he was already going to Bravos?

Amazing episode by the way my favourite of any season

This has probably been answered (and I don't want answers from book folk acting like they are just guessing) but why were people sure that Arya was off to Bravos?

I thought the whole reason she showed him to coin was to get him to take her north where she wanted to go as he was already going to Bravos?

She wanted to go North.

Dude says NOPE that he's going to Bravos.

Light Bulb goes off and she remembers her coin.

Bravos it is.

That's how I took that scene. To be honest, I wasn't sure why she wanted to go North anyway. Maybe to see Jon?

the coin doesn't make the guy do what she says. It is for traveling to the assassins (or at least the guy from the 2nd season).

Ferrio

Banned

Jaqen says she ever wants to see him again, that she should present the coin to any braavosi. The ship captain was Braavosi and heading to Bravos.

Yeah I remembered the scene I just misread the exchange at the end of this episode.

Rather than her realising that Braavos may be a good idea so she can meet up with Jaqen I thought she used the coin as proof of knowing someone important and to get her own way - my mistake.

Can't wait to see more of Braavos though its been hyped up since season one and we only saw the brief bank scene if I recall

I just saw the ending. While some things were cool, Tyrion is the biggest disappointment along with the fact that I'm starting to get tired of this game where people die randomly and then who cares. Thank God there's still Arya.

Lothar

Banned
There's a new ComicBookGirl19 video out today - the recap of the Season finale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sObc3-0BJZQ By far the best in depth video review on the episode you'll find.

It's completely safe for future spoilers, it's intended for non-book readers, even comments are disabled. But it does talk about book/show differences. If you're interested in that (I would be, I wish someone did that for Walking Dead or Dexter) but don't want to search for fear of spoilers, or you're wondering who was responsible for your favorite scenes or least favorite scenes - GRRM or the show writers, or you're confused by some of the things that happened and want an explanation you should watch this.

what was everyones favorite scene of this season? there were so many great ones like joffreys death, and the mountain vs the viper. my personal favorite would be tyrions trail because damn that dude could act, its actually my favorite scene of the series so far. his facial expressions are just miles above any other actor working today.
He is probably the best now that Breaking Bad is over and Bryan Cranston is out of the picture. Cranston is snagging another Emmy for season 5b though.
Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance are amazing, and lets not forget about Jack Gleeson.

Speaking of Jack Gleeson, my favorite scene this season was definitely Joffrey's demise. Really shocking ending to the episode. I couldn't believe it.

lol. i love the actors' inside tweets/jokes. the cast of this series has been amazing, in their fan interaction and immersion etc. <3

Based on what do you say that Jaime is a bonehead? There is no evidence that he is stupid. Quite the contrary! He doesn´t care about power, and he can´t be bothered with it, true. But he is not at all stupid! He can be quite cunning and smart and a quick thinker when he wants!

Jamie is by no means dumb. Though he is far too easily manipulated by his sister's ladyparts. But this season at least he proved that he was not completely whipped, and that he could act against her wishes (saving Tyrion) if it was important to him.

d'awwwww jamie defense force :> so cute
im one of you guys ;__;

what was everyones favorite scene of this season? there were so many great ones like joffreys death, and the mountain vs the viper. my personal favorite would be tyrions trail because damn that dude could act, its actually my favorite scene of the series so far. his facial expressions are just miles above any other actor working today.

i made a biggu post on this a few pages before .__.

I just saw the ending. While some things were cool, Tyrion is the biggest disappointment along with the fact that I'm starting to get tired of this game where people die randomly and then who cares. Thank God there's still Arya.

GIT OUT OF 'ERE, YOU INFIDEL

j/k j/k

no seriously, who can hate tyrion. omg &#3232;_&#3232;

I have a sneaking suspicion that Tywin knew what was up too. He couldn't control Joffrey and needed a king he could control.

I dont think he would have allowed it if he knew. He knew Joffrey was bad news, but his family name was everything to him, so I doubt he would participate or willfully ignore a plot against his grandson. Unless I misheard, he really did not know or believe the rumors about his son and daughter either, so the man is/was capable of making errors.

DominoKid

favorite scene was Grey Worm's thirst.

Gila

Definitely this

game-of-thrones-oathbreaker-white-walker-king.jpg

This plot line is so enigmatic, when it really hits, it's gonna be fucking insane (I hope).

the-hound-f-the-king-and-aria-reaction.gif

wildfire

Banned
"There are many who know that without you, this city faced certain defeat. The King won't give you any honors, the histories won't mention you, but we will not forget."

We should add to this that Varys had the help of a Lannister. The risk wasn't as high with such a person more capable of moving around to get Tyrion out.

Favorite part has to be the Oberyn fight before he dies. I loved his conviction. His story of what happened to his sister and her children has to be one of the most disturbing in fictional storytelling. I think since I have a sister, I can see in that situation why I would be as obsessed about revenge/justice as he is, possibly even doing something idiotic such as what happened to him before his death. When he is screaming out the words.. Elia Martell.. you raped her.. you murdered her.. you killed her children.. Elia Martell! YOU RAPED HER! YOU MURDERED HER! YOU KILLED HER CHILDREN!

Just a haunting scene.

The scenes of Joffrey dieing, The 13 White Walkers baby sequence, "your sister" - Littlefinger, courtroom scene, "I will be your champion" - Oberyn, and the ironic death of Tywin are also some of the best scenes this season. This season really had a plethora amount of amazing scenes. Just based on what I have seen so far, GRRIM to me gives me the idea that he is the best fictional storyteller, or at least my favorite. I cannot wait when the series is over, I will be reading all his books starting the day after the series finale.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just a reminder that book readers should use the other thread, and they certainly shouldn't be discussing differences between the books and the show.

EDIT:

Now, I just wanna post my reactions to the finale in this thread for the last time before I move over to the book readers thread (I'm now a full fledged book reader). Short story, I liked it. The pacing was great, soundtrack was great, acting was great, fight scenes amazing. While things left out are always disappointing I enjoyed everything there. Though two things about people's reaction reading this thread surprise me.

1. LOL at the, "WTF is with this High Fantasy stuff?" As others have pointed out this is a show that started with undead white walker zombies chopping a dudes head off. That has had dragons from the very start, where a kid and an Wildling have the ability to possess the minds of animals, and in Bran's case, people. And, where a shadow assassin was birthed out of a woman's vagina to kill a King's brother. But yet, suddenly a brief fight scene with some skeletons and fireball magic is too much? Have we been watching the same show?

2. Why are some people so unsympathetic towards the Hound? Like we know literally nothing about him than what we see in the show or he briefly mentions, besides killing the butcher boy for hitting the price, which was his duty, what bad things has he actually done? We've never heard anything about him raping people or aimlessly murdering people without cause, the worse we saw was him stealing from that family and even that came with some justification. I'm just surprised everyone is like "he deserves to die slowly" for a guy who seems pretty decent in the context of GoT. As the Hound says to the Brotherhood, "don't call me murderer and pretend that you're not."

Anywho, those are my thoughts and reactions, peace.

J2d

This plot line is so enigmatic, when it really hits, it's gonna be fucking insane (I hope).
A two minute scene where Bran is controlling a dragon and just does one fire breathing flyby on all of the white walkers, all of them walking in a single file lane, is all I'm expecting.

Not really, but one thing that is clear with Varys is that he plays the game for the long term. He's by far one of the most methodical, manipulative characters matched (or exceeded) only by Littlefinger. Varys is a lot more invested in the long term survival and/or conquest of Westeros alongside the rest of the world than other characters know, and I get the vibe he's a lot more informed and aware of shit that's happening on a mystical level than anybody else in Kings Landing. Both Littlefinger and Varys are playing big games behind the scenes, slowly and methodically, but Littlefinger seems more about literal, mortal conquest and Varys has a deeper understanding of the world itself.

By the way, whatever the hell happened to that guy Varys showed us locked inside a crate, who supposedly cut Varys' balls when he was a kid and abused him?

has anyone made a gif yet of the old tree man saying "you'll never walk again...but you will fly" and then smash cut to jaime throwing bran out the window?

By the way, whatever the hell happened to that guy Varys showed us locked inside a crate, who supposedly cut Varys' balls when he was a kid and abused him?

still in the box, i guess? forgotten.

maybe they will find him out and rescue him and he'd be like the END TO VARYS. one day in the future.

at which time i will hate the show. cuz i love varys GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can I just rant a little bit after just coming off a month long ban for being suspected of reading the books?

Editor's note: User forgets to mention it was his second ban for spoilers in the GOT thread

I just want to say that despite the ban I had not read the books at that time, which really surprised me, apparently raising questions about Jon Snow's lineage was enough to warrant suspicion of book reading. Due to the overly long nature of the ban and my really wanting to know what happens to Tyrion after he got locked up in the show I went out and bought all the books and read them all in that span.

You were banned after multiple moderators confirmed you mentioning things your book-reader friends told you, as well as you using names for characters that are correct in the books and incorrect in the show. When you were caught doing this, you said "gee the name just popped into my head". Yep, that's right, you forgot a character in the show's name, and the name you came up with in your head just happened to be the name of a character that exists in the book but not in the show. This implies you read or read about the books. You had also previously posted comparing your experiences reading A Song of Ice and Fire versus Lord of the Rings

I know people on here often have questions about background lore or would like clarification on something, this usually means they have to PM someone or risk the *Unmarked Spoilers* thread for all the books. But, what if they don't want things spoiled past the show or a book reader hasn't finished all the books and just wants to discuss those things already seen? Anywho, that's just a thought.

We're not going to micro-manage people's exact level of desired spoilers. This is the thread for what has aired in the show. The other thread is for what happened in the books. If you're only watched one season of the show, either catch up or do a LTTP thread or do without. If you've watched all the show and read some of the books after the show but not all of the books, like... do you drink 1.875% milk because 2% is too fattening and 1.75% is basically water? What level of hair-splitting are we talking here?

Now, I just wanna post my reactions to the finale in this thread for the last time before I move over to the book readers thread. Short story, I liked it. The pacing was great, soundtrack was great, acting was great, fight scenes amazing. While things left out are always disappointing I enjoyed everything there. Though two things about people's reaction reading this thread surprise me.

Just a warning. I haven't read any of the books and I'm a season behind on the show. But when a moderator who has seen the show or read the books shows up and anything about your subsequent reaction is based on the books instead of the show, one month will feel like a very short ban by comparison.

I don't know why people keep wondering about this. It's not a plot thread. It's literally the end of an anecdote. Him being in the box is the end result of the point Varys was making. There's nothing else to add to that.

Edit: Side note, I totally missed Jaime telling Tyrion that the boat was going to the Free Cities when he helps him escape. I was thinking it was possible he was going to end up in Dorne, but I guess that isn't the case.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Editor's note: User forgets to mention it was his second ban for spoilers in the GOT thread

You were banned after multiple moderators confirmed you mentioning things your book-reader friends told you, as well as you using names for characters that are correct in the books and incorrect in the show. When you were caught doing this, you said "gee the name just popped into my head". Yep, that's right, you forgot a character in the show's name, and the name you came up with in your head just happened to be the name of a character that exists in the book but not in the show. This implies you read or read about the books. You had also previously posted comparing your experiences reading A Song of Ice and Fire versus Lord of the Rings

We're not going to micro-manage people's exact level of desired spoilers. This is the thread for what has aired in the show. The other thread is for what happened in the books. If you're only watched one season of the show, either catch up or do a LTTP thread or do without. If you've watched all the show and read some of the books after the show but not all of the books, like... do you drink 1.875% milk because 2% is too fattening and 1.75% is basically water? What level of hair-splitting are we talking here?

Just a warning. I haven't read any of the books and I'm a season behind on the show. But when a moderator who has seen the show or read the books shows up and anything about your subsequent reaction is based on the books instead of the show, one month will feel like a very short ban by comparison.

I don't wanna get into a tit for tat debate but I can assure you I had not read any of the books before this recent ban, believe me not not but that's the truth. I've had friends who had told me stuff but that was the extent, my confusion regarding aforementioned characters was genuine. Though my first ban was justified, I never read the OP and thought mentioning non-spoiler differences was cool. Like I said, I've now caught up and will stick to the book reader thread from now on.

besada

Banned
Can I just rant a little bit after just coming off a month long ban for being suspected of reading the books?
No, it's not. You know why? Because it's a violation of the ToS and a bannable offense. It is a thing we do not do. If you have an issue with moderation, you PM a moderator, or you send an email to support@neogaf.com.

What you don't do is quote a mod and start complaining about your ban. Be glad stump dealt with you first.

Xamdou

Kudos to the mods keep this thread as book spoiler free as possible!

This thread is like a show only sanctuary, I haven't read the books and jump ship right before my GoT spoiler alert senses something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom