• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Fox has balls. You know what I like to do the day I'm out of jail? Start talking shit and arguing with the judge who put me there. Then teeter on the edge of committing the same crime. Generally goes pretty well.

I really hope the white walkers turn into something this next season. They've hid in the background for far too long to where I've lost a ton of interest. How long ago did we here the end of summer was here, and winter was coming? 4 seasons later.....
Kudos to the mods keep this thread as book spoiler free as possible!

This thread is like a show only sanctuary, I haven't read the books and jump ship right before my GoT spoiler alert senses something.
Word. I'm hyper-sensitive to spoilers. I've had my facebook deactivated for 4 weeks now, afraid of anyone ruining the last few episodes. I had a friend update their status early in the season "It's about time. Bye bye, Joffrey!". I nearly punched my screen. What pleasure do they get from this? Do they think they're hip and in the know, trying to post things like this before all their friends? I just don't get it.

i made a draw

8rHn2T1.jpg

clearly i dont know how to shade :<

What do you mean people die randomly and then who cares?
I just don't care now because many characters don't appeal to me anymore, Tyrion was totally out of character, he did an awesome speech but for the rest of the series he was scared and he just killed his father like a coward. 2 people in a row, what a serial killer. Khaleesi is sitting on a boring throne. Reek is totally Reek. Cerci is useless but still alive and bitching about everything without any logic. Overall I had fun, this season was awesome but the ending didn't get me interested like the others did because the formula is so clear.

what was everyones favorite scene of this season? there were so many great ones like joffreys death, and the mountain vs the viper. my personal favorite would be tyrions trail because damn that dude could act, its actually my favorite scene of the series so far. his facial expressions are just miles above any other actor working today.

my favorite scene is tyrion killing tywin. tywin was the "real" king behind joffrey and tommen and was uncontested for far too long. joffrey being killed felt unsignificant in comparison (although joffrey had the potential to be a tyrant once he would be older).
Hi guys,
What are your top three highlights from the last seasons? (you can put 2 more honourable mentions if you have lots)

For me, top three highlights:
  1. Joffrey's death - So so so so satisfying. The details they went into, his agony as life spun out of him, the face shots, the leading up to it with how he bullied Tyrion etc. Was very satisfying death.
  2. The Mountain vs The Viper - this one will haunt me for awhile. Sometimes I still get the echo of Oberyn's screaming when I think about GoT... Graphic. And done to one of the show's most loved persona, too. ;__; And I kept thinking how terrifying it must be. To die the way your sister had. So helpless and so brutal.
  3. Tyrion's revenge. He loved Shae. He loved her very much, and he had to kill her with his own hands. Then, that little shot of him dragging the crossbow to the privy. And how he took his father's life. Tywin even admitted that he had always wanted him dead. I don't know how hard it must be for Tyrion to finally hear those words from his father's lips.

Honourable Mentions:
  • Littlefinger and Lysa's death at the moon door. I kept thinking how harrowing it must be, as she fell through the air, realising that even after everything she had done for him, he would forever despise her. He only loved Cat, and even if Lysa burns the world for Littlefinger, he will still push her to her death. That realisation, and the impending crash against the ground, and her face, was a great death scene, for me. Plus, that lead-up, with Littlefinger cruelly insinuating that he might have fallen for her.... AND THEN PUSH!
  • Orson Lannister. LOL idk. This scene stays with me. And its made even more hilarious later when I think it as GRRM cameo.

There's so much goodies, actually. It's quite hard to pick 5.... haha.
i am not very satisfied with how little finger suddenly is all in "cat love". he had no problems in betraying ned stark and therefore leading cat to inevitable death.

Aiii

So not worth it
i am not very satisfied with how little finger suddenly is all in "cat love". he had no problems in betraying ned stark and therefore leading cat to inevitable death.

That's hardly a direct cause and effect.

Betraying the husband of the love of your life is hardly an unimaginable thing.

Lexxon

LOL at the, "WTF is with this High Fantasy stuff?"

I actually saw this show, from the beginning, as a fantasy/magical world with all of the fantasy and magic stripped out of it. Oh, there used to be dragons? Oh, people used to use magical potions/concoctions to carry out this and that? But that's in the past--we've moved past that. It's a 'modern' world now.

However, each season shows more and more of the fantasy elements coming back to the world in the name of war, or survival. The red lady's cooch-killing. The green fire at Blackwater. Bran's worg powers, and now, especially the powers of the folks he just met up with.

...oh, and the dragons, but they're still a world away.

Also another reason why the characters don't really believe in the White Walkers--just stories from days gone by.

I actually expected 'casual' show viewers to be turned off by these elements, but I don't think viewership has been hurting at all.

I don't see what was sudden about it, it has been part of his backstory since the beginning. His role in Ned's demise was likely, at least in part, to clear the way for himself. Cat's death was something he hadn't foreseen (though he perhaps should have). He didn't waste much time responding to it though.

Pooya

Special effects in this series have come a long way. Season 2, every battle pretty much was happening off screen and whatever you could see was very brief or small scale. These two last episodes were very good on the other hand for a TV series.

my favorite scene is tyrion killing tywin. tywin was the "real" king behind joffrey and tommen and was uncontested for far too long. joffrey being killed felt unsignificant in comparison (although joffrey had the potential to be a tyrant once he would be older).

I can understand where you come from, really. In a way, that came out of the blue for me too, but I had always thought Littlefinger's love for Cat has been strongly portrayed in how obsessed he was with Sansa Stark (whom I assume is a dead ringer for Cat when she was young? maybe?)

So, when he said it, it was like.... the other shoe dropped. Know what I mean?

33-Hit-Combo, thanks :D And yes, Bran's hair is a BIRD. He's ... mini nick cage???? SPOILER

I was trying to draw Oberyn at first, but the image that kept coming to my head is the bloody gore... ;___;

Special effects in this series have come a long way. Season 2, every battle pretty much was happening off screen and whatever you could see was very brief or small scale. These two last episodes were very good on the other hand for a TV series.

That, and the budgets have been drastically increased. Makes me excited for future seasons.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually saw this show, from the beginning, as a fantasy/magical world with all of the fantasy and magic stripped out of it. Oh, there used to be dragons? Oh, people used to use magical potions/concoctions to carry out this and that? But that's in the past--we've moved past that. It's a 'modern' world now.
But the show opened with white walkers and wights...

leng jai

The very first scene was basically 100% supernatural. If anything, I expected GoT to be far more fantasy themed than what it has been.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

He's always been in "cat love". That's been established pretty much from the start. There's nothing sudden about it.

Lexxon

But the show opened with white walkers and wights...

Yes, it did...

I guess what I meant to say was, devoid of magic and fantasy in the eyes of the inhabitants, and in general tone. The fantasy stuff still exists in their world, but hiding in nooks and crannies. It opened with the white walkers as kind of a "this is coming, oh shit" moment, but the characters largely haven't considered them a threat, even until now, except for the Night's Watch more recently, the Wildlings, and now Stannis.

Nameless

The fantasy in Thrones is compelling because the world itself is so authentically human. Supernatural elements are often twisted and exploited to dominate, control, or increase military might just like major technological advances throughout actual human history. King's Landing was saved using alchemy. Stannis wielded blood magic to assassinate rival Kings and the powers of precognition to rebuild his army. Giants and wargs were a major integral in Mance's plan to take The Wall. Like Aegon before her Daeny is essentially in possession of atom bombs-- a force powerful enough to bring entire kingdoms to their knees with the mere threat of unleashing their devestation.

Even the White Walkers should influence the political landscape of Westeros as the people begin to rally around whoever is fighting to save them from annihilation. Right now that's Stannis. So yeah, I think it's a bit short sighted to automatically dismiss the magic and fantasy given the ways they have and will continue to influence the more grounded aspects of the show.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
still in the box, i guess? forgotten.

maybe they will find him out and rescue him and he'd be like the END TO VARYS. one day in the future.

at which time i will hate the show. cuz i love varys GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Dude is dead. I thought the whole point of that scene was to show just how long Varys was willing to wait to exact his revenge. To reinforce the idea that Varys was a man who played the long game.

Oberyn teeth smash.gif

Just when I had expunged that image from my mind, here you are rushing it back in.

Favourite scene(s) this season were pretty much most of Arya and the Hound's scenes. Watching Arya turn into the Kingdom's most promising killer was incredible. The scenes is the inn being my favourite:

aria-stab.gif

Many of Prince Oberyn's scenes were great too:

Sith Lord Sansa's awakening:

tumblr_n6jiyavFCc1qklgy5o2_500.gif

Honourable mentions:

HOLY SHIT WHITE WALKER BABY!!

got22-Baby-Transform.gif

And finally, this scene had me fist pumping like a cast member on the set of the Jersey Shore:

got_death_3.gif

LevelNth

Banned
Best scene this season was easily Tyrion's freak-out at everyone and demand for a trial by combat after Shae betrayed him.

Dinklage's acting was sublime. He's so good.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Whatever new charismatic character they might introduce next season, I won't get caught in that trap another time, because his(or her) eventual, horrible, death will just be devastating again.

Vashetti

Banned
Whatever new charismatic character they might introduce next season, I won't get caught in that trap another time, because his(or her) eventual, horrible, death will just be devastating again.

Blimey, reading this made me realise what a major cull of characters we had this season:

Oberyn
Grenn
Pyp
Ygritte
Tywin
Shae
The Hound (?)
Joffrey
Lysa
Jojen
Locke

After Oberyn, I am dead inside when it will come to new characters. Unfortunately, I have some sympathy for others since I was a young pup at the time the series started. I knew nothing.

Vashetti

Banned
Posted for new page, Season 4 deaths:

Oberyn
Grenn
Pyp
Ygritte
Tywin
Shae
The Hound (?)
Joffrey
Lysa