• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braag

The new season is almost here... I'm so excited I'm counting days.
Then starts the excruciating wait for a new episode each week :/

Braag

This is pretty much all I'm watching it for anymore. Everyone else is stupid and/or bores me to tears lol.

Deal_With_it.gif

But the characters are so interesting, even the minor ones that get only shown for a few episodes (such a Thoros of Myr and Beric Dondarrion).

But no TV show is for everyone I guess.

This is pretty much all I'm watching it for anymore. Everyone else is stupid and/or bores me to tears lol.

Comments like this are what made me assume that the "theon torture and a wedding are all that happened" statement wasn't a joke. There ARE people out there who don't care much for this show, you know.

Peagles

Deal_With_it.gif

But the characters are so interesting, even the minor ones that get only shown for a few episodes (such a Thoros of Myr and Beric Dondarrion).

But no TV show is for everyone I guess.

I'll have to Google those names, no idea who you're talking about. There have been the odd couple of interesting people though, you're right. Just wish we could spend more time with them.

Maybe the others are more interesting in the books where you get more backstory? Watching this show is like watching a soap for me; ensemble cast with way too many characters, people come and go as the writers please, we know very little about most characters, people die all the time and have the worse luck ever (in modern soaps, if someone good does something wrong the police always have no choice but to imprison them immediately, but when someone bad does something wrong they're like sorry there's no hard evidence, we have to let them go), but there's a character or two that make it worth watching.

Then at the same time it's like watching a bad horror movie: "Oh god what are you doing?", "Don't do that!", "Wait why didn't you pick up that weapon before you ran off?", "Oh god don't go in there!", "Oh you stupid... Now you're dead! Come on!" "Oh now people are having sex.. Nice... Oh wait, now something terrible happened again...", lol.

Nameless

I want to know if we will see Jaqen H'ghar again. I remember at the end of last season Arya was looking at her coin.

I'm sure we will sooner or later. Becoming a Faceless Man and exacting her vengeance is all she has left. Arya's brief interaction with Melisandre last season was a pretty big tell. She spoke of seeing eyes in the darkness which Arya would shut forever. It's also worth noting that the Faceless Men, like Melisandre and the Brotherhood, follow the Red God.

I'm sure we will sooner or later. Becoming a Faceless Man and exacting her vengeance is all she has left. Arya's brief interaction with Melisandre last season was a pretty big tell. She spoke of seeing eyes in the darkness which Arya would shut forever. It's also worth noting that the Faceless Men, like Melisandre, follow the Red God.

Which face will he come back as?

I liked his faux face more than his actual.

Nameless

Which face will he come back as?

I liked his faux face more than his actual.

I don't know the rules, can we really be sure the second face we see is even his or if you ever use your original face again? Nevermind how giving the coin to ANY Braavosi & speaking the words will summon Jaqen? Questions, so many questions.

Sendero

To me, is the opposite: Despite some awesome lead characters, I'm mostly interested on the side ones. It's amazing that despite having almost no air time, they continue to be so relevant for people like me.

GoT would not be as good without Bronn jokes, or Lady Olenna sarcastic comments, or Ser Davos diligence. People hated that there were so many torture scenes, but Ramsey owned all of them. Loved it.

BTW, did someone notice that on Season 3, the camera focused for a moment on one of the "assassins" recruited by Yara (to rescue Theon)? A big guy with a scar on his eyes? Wonder if he will become relevant or if is connected to Jaqen somehow..

Braag

To me, is the opposite: Despite some awesome lead characters, I'm mostly interested on the side ones. It's amazing that despite having almost no air time, they continue to be so relevant for people like me.

GoT would not be as good without Bronn jokes, or Lady Olenna sarcastic comments, or Ser Davos diligence. People hated that there were so many torture scenes, but Ramsey owned all of them. Loved it.

Yeah I completely agree.

Obviously I too have certain characters which I don't really care about or they're just not interesting to me.
Top of that list was definitely Ros. I also don't like Melisandre much :/ After the war at Blackwater Stannis has become also really dull and just tiresome almost, he basically does nothing and is just a puppet for Melisandre or at least it feels that way.
Maybe I just excepted too much from him since he seemed like such a strong willed man in Season 2.

I'm so glad they recast Naharis. The other guy had the face of a penis. And he wasn't a good actor.

I like the new guy more as well. But I haaaaate recasts.

The Mountain especially had it rough as he has been recast several times now, each season a different actor. The guy in S2 infuriated me since he looked nothing like the Mountain. The guy in S1 was perfect though and the new guy for S4 seem to fit
the role quite well.

PFD

I'll have to Google those names, no idea who you're talking about. There have been the odd couple of interesting people though, you're right. Just wish we could spend more time with them.

Beric is the guy with the eyepatch who fought the hound with a fire sword in S3. Thoros is the drunken priest who revived him.

I'm so glad they recast Naharis. The other guy had the face of a penis. And he wasn't a good actor.

I saw him in a clip. The recast will irk me a little, but I like him a little bit more, so I'll look past it. Emilia Clarke was on a talk show and they showed a short clip. Dunno from what episode though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBov-5gP1Vs
clip starts at 2:30. There aren't any spoilers, just a humorous little scene.

Nameless

The only people on my need-to-die list are Shae, Locke, and the remaining usurper kings. Hopefully Joffrey sticks around until he finishes puberty.

Loke13

The only people on my need-to-die list are Shae, Locke, and the remaining usurper kings. Hopefully Joffrey sticks around until he finishes puberty.
Wait why Shae? She's awesome and probably Sansa's only real friend in KL and totally her attack dog she's like a protective sister <3.

haha he was very weird looking for sure but unless someone told me about the recast i would have been confused, i dont know most characters by their names, just their faces

I realized after the first season that that isn't going to cut it in this show. Have to either learn names or just be absolutely lost when people are talking about other characters.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I always thought he had an "elfish" look, don't know exactly what make me think that. Maybe the combination of the long hair and face.

Loke13

I realized after the first season that that isn't going to cut it in this show. Have to either learn names or just be absolutely lost when people are talking about other characters.
Oh yeah characters constantly reference other characters or locations in the show so it definitely helps to re-watch in order to remember who is who.

Nameless

Wait why Shae? She's awesome and probably Sansa's only real friend in KL and totally her attack dog she's like a protective sister <3.

Ehh. She started off pretty cool but took a turn toward incredibly annoying last season. Whining and complaining, getting pissed off at nothing, she was borderline insufferable. And Varys was right, her presence puts Tyrion in danger but she was too stubborn to listen.

Tywin discovering her would be for the best.

Madrin

I'm so pumped for this! Game of Thrones is the first show since Lost that makes me genuinely excited for new episodes. The only difference is that GoT's ending can't possibly be worse than Lost's.

Nameless

His hair was probably really damaged by the conditions he'd been in. Might not have been able to make himself look respectable again without cutting it. Tywin is known to be uptight about the image members of his family put out.

The funny how Locke was right about ***trailer spoiler***
his daddy making him a golden hand.

Just catching up with the season info now. My heart skipped a beat when I saw they recasted the Mountain. I got them mixed up and thought they replaced the Hound O_O

And what!? Jaime cut his hair!?

I really hope Theon gets some kind of redemption after all that torture :(

Demon Ice

Banned
He should come back as Sean Bean. =)

How awesome would it be if he came back as Sean Bean and then was promptly killed off in the next episode, in accordance with the curse of being Sean Bean in a movie / TV show.

Also I'm glad they recast the Mountain, the Season 2 actor wasn't particularly interesting. Also, he was tall but way too skinny, the Mountain is supposed to be several hundred pounds of pure muscle. Hafþór is an excellent choice.

Peagles

How awesome would it be if he came back as Sean Bean and then was promptly killed off in the next episode, in accordance with the curse of being Sean Bean in a movie / TV show.

Hahaha, that would be amazing. I really wish they hadn't used Sean Bean to begin with though, made it way too obvious. All my book readers friends were like ZOmG did you see the twist yet?! And I'm like uhh called it before we even started watching, because Sean Bean, lol.

Makes me want to watch some Sharpe, damnit!

A couple of reviews from today (should be free of anything more than very mild spoilers):

-Tim Goodman for THR: Game of Thrones review
The Bottom Line: Game of Thrones proves yet again why it's one of the rare genre series to not only be taken seriously but to prove its worth season after season. It's well-written, well-acted and has created so many wonderful characters -- who, of course, will probably die. This is a show with no rules -- and that's partly why tension and expectation are both always running high.

-Andy Greenwald for Grantland: [url=http://grantland.com/features/game-of-thrones-season-four-hbo-returns/]‘Game of Thrones’ is back and it’s peaking[/URL]
Game of Thrones is an intensely modern show, both in form and content. But it’s worth noting how strongly it resists the sort of online hyper-dissection that can either carry a series aloft or tear it apart, limb by limb, like a starving mob in Fleabottom. The show proceeds at its own stately pace, telling its own knotty story. Rather than be concerned that future seasons might mar the world that Martin, Benioff, and Weiss have painstakingly created, it’s probably healthier — for your sake and mine — to focus instead on the majesty of that world as it exists now. The night may well be dark and full of terrors, but rest easy: We’re still hours away from dusk.

Helmholtz

i hate recast in general, even if the new one is better, i always feel disconnected.
I guess we're lucky that only a couple minor characters have been recast so far. Would really suck if one of the people with a lot of screen time got changed.
The mountain and Daario didn't have many scenes the past couple seasons from what I remember. I agree it does kind of suck though.

Nameless

This is difficult with so many characters..but Top 5(and 10) going into S4

1. Arya
2. Daenerys
3. Cersei
4. Tywin
5. Melisandre
-Little Finger
-Thoros
-Stannis
-Ser Bronn
-The Hound

Dennis

Banned
1. Jaime Lannister
2. Cersei Lannister
3. Tywin Lannister
4. Tyrion Lannister
5. Joffrey Lannister
6. Jorah, Lord Friend Zone
7. Daenerys, Mother of Dragons
8. Brienne of Tarth

Nameless

1. Jaime Lannister
2. Cersei Lannister
3. Tywin Lannister
4. Tyrion Lannister
5. Joffrey Lannister
6. Jorah, Lord Friend Zone
7. Daenerys, Mother of Dragons
8. Brienne of Tarth

Fuck. Forgot about Brienne. Throw me in a bear pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom