• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris.

Banned
Jesus fucking christ. While i was laughing behind my desk at each and everyone of you who accidentally went in the wrong thread i just did it myself and got myself a ridiculous spoiler.

That fucking thing is a joke, the worst thing is it actually takes you a few posts before you realise whats going on ...

you could try reading the title of the thread you're entering. because they don't look similar at all. the spoiler thread *HAS BIG LETTERS IN BETWEEN ASTERISKS* in the title. this one starts off with Game of Thrones. not that hard.

Raiden

Banned
you could try reading the title of the thread you're entering. because they don't look similar at all. the spoiler thread *HAS BIG LETTERS IN BETWEEN ASTERISKS* in the title. this one starts off with Game of Thrones. not that hard.

Hey i'm not blaming anyone besides myself here. I just read spoilers and game of thrones and clicked the thing in a hurry.

Nameless

Jesus fucking christ. While i was laughing behind my desk at each and everyone of you who accidentally went in the wrong thread i just did it myself and got myself a ridiculous spoiler.

That fucking thing is a joke, the worst thing is it actually takes you a few posts before you realise whats going on ...

So many people are doing this. Would a solution be to move the spoiler thread to Community? It pretty much serves as the primary hang out for book readers anyway.

Paganmoon

So many people are doing this. Would a solution be to move the spoiler thread to Community? It pretty much serves as the primary hang out for book readers anyway.

And thus started the great summer war of NeoGAF

- Move the spoiler thread to Community!
- No, move the non book thread to Community!

TCRS

Banned

racist! you go to the community ghetto! why can't we have at least one thread in OT, the non-show book thread is already in community :/

Mario007

I removed it, but it already happened and it's not exactly a spoiler.. right?

I would say not (especially since we've seen the Red Wedding on the show) but you gotta be careful in this thread. Sometimes people can get up in arms over the smallest things.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Which is actually really foolish of Cersei. Does she really think he'd be that sloppy?

TBH, Cercei's jump to conclusions mat being SNAFU is one of her character traits.

The shot on the pie was menacing (maybe it was just showing he killed a dove with his strike?)
I interpreted it as Joffrey being an inbred spaz, who, like his mother, has no conception of the consequences of anything he does. Who would give an idiot like that a sword anyway? He got the sword and five seconds later he was Star Wars Kidding a book and the table beneath it. I'm surprised his new wife didn't take it away from him, "NO! BAD! We do not play with our toys like this."

Zeliard

Look people, this really shouldn't be that difficult. As Cornballer has had to repeat perhaps 500 times, this is a thread for people following the show who have not read the books. And, just as critically, it isn't for those who are otherwise privy to information that comes from a place other than the show itself. A significant number of posts in this thread have been deleted because people can't seem to understand that.

If you have a specific question that requires book information, PM one of the people listed in the OP. Don't post it in the thread. If you're posting a link to a website or a quote that contains speculation or whatnot, be 100% certain they are only using information from the show itself. If you don't have that level of certainty about it, just don't post it, and don't post about it.

You're of course free to speculate, but it can unfortunately be difficult to distinguish between genuine speculation and those doing so with external information. So the only thing we can truly ask there is, simply, don't be a dick. If your theorizing is based on information you've attained outside of the show, keep it to yourself. That includes having read the books, read wiki entries, accidentally stumbled across spoilers, and so on.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Great episode last night. I had always wondered how Joffrey would meet his end. I was glad he really got to ham it up in his final episode. He's always been one of the best parts of the show, I wonder what it's like to be that actor and be know for such a despicable character. Even Heath ledgers joker has likable qualities, but Joffrey is just pure filth. Great character.

Season4 is shaping up to be one the best one yet, I remember back around season2 one of the show runners gave an interview and said a specific scene from season4 was one of his driving forces in getting the show made. He obviously didn't elaborate on the scenes but he said something like "if we can get to that scene, and then execute it this will be the greatest show in history."

I'm not liking what's happening to Stannis.

He was always the more fair, noble version of Tywin Lannister (they're both brilliant, calculating strategists), but his antics lately is making him out to be the worse of the two.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Stannis's wife was creeping me out, that whole soul thing was really creepy.
Also, has anyone been speculating about the tree? It said come find me under the tree, but then it seemed like Bran decided to go to kings landing.

Westraid

Loved the latest episode. Been waiting for Joffrey to kick the bucket for ages.
Though, it's only now I realize how much I loved to hate him, and there's no other character that was as awful.
Now who am I going to hate? Guess I'm going to miss Joff after all.

Felt so bad for Tyrion. The way he was treated in this ep was really sad to watch, and it doesn't seem like things are going to get any better for him, with Cersei immediately accusing him.

Dragon

Banned

The thread titles should at least be changed so the spoiler indication precedes the name of the thread:

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones
*HERE BE DRAGONS - ALL BOOKS SPOILERS* Game of Thrones

Edit: It seems they've already done this with the spoiler thread. *shrug*. I give up ahha.

Loved the latest episode. Been waiting for Joffrey to kick the bucket for ages.
Though, it's only now I realize how much I loved to hate him, and there's no other character that was as awful.
Now who am I going to hate? Guess I'm going to miss Joff after all.

Felt so bad for Tyrion. The way he was treated in this ep was really sad to watch, and it doesn't seem like things are going to get any better for him, with Cersei immediately accusing him.

I wonder where Tywin stands in all of this. He's ultimately the man in charge now (he probably always was). It would be a marvelous turn of events if he finally backed Tyrion after subjecting him to years of mistreatment and verbal abuse.

Ovid

I'm so paranoid about spoilers when it comes to this show. Thus far, I've been fortunate to have avoided all spoilers even though I've been a fan of the show since day one.

I think today will be the first and last day of me entering this thread.

Edwardo

I wonder where Tywin stands in all of this. He's ultimately the man in charge now (he probably always was). It would be a marvelous turn of events if he finally backed Tyrion after subjecting him to years of mistreatment and verbal abuse.

Last season Tyrion and Tywin had a little conversation:

Tyrion Lannister: You just sent the most powerful man in Westeros to bed without his supper.
Tywin Lannister: You're a fool if you believe he's the most powerful man in Westeros.

I wonder if Tywin is thinking the he is the most powerful man in westeros, or if he's saying that it's just someone that isnt Joffrey.

Carbonox

I'm not liking what's happening to Stannis.

He was always the more fair, noble version of Tywin Lannister (they're both brilliant, calculating strategists), but his antics lately is making him out to be the worse of the two.

Stannis sucks so bad. He comes across as an incompetent thumb-twiddling cult banger and has done next to nawt since the shitty attack on Kings Landing.

Tyrion Lannister: You just sent the most powerful man in Westeros to bed without his supper.
Tywin Lannister: You're a fool if you believe he's the most powerful man in Westeros.

I wonder if Tywin is thinking the he is the most powerful man in westeros, or if he's saying that it's just someone that isnt Joffrey.

Mama Tyrell made a mention to this Iron Bank to Tywin when they were talking. I wouldn't be surprised if the leaders of this bank were the true powers of Westeros. Especially if the Lannisters are so far in to debt, going by Tyrion's records last season (I think it was then when he checked the family finances). Not even the Lannisters would be untouchable if they don't pay their literal debts. :p

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Tywin is the most powerful man in Westeros though.
He is hand of the king, Roose Bolton who is now warden of the north, is his lapdog, the Tullys have been defeated, The Aryn's won't cause him any harm and although the Martells are feisty they wouldn't be able to dent the Kings + Lannister armies

Really the only house that play a threat right now are the Tyrells, but technically speaking Olena runs that shit so he wouldn't be lying if he did say he was the most powerful man

Edwardo

Mama Tyrell made a mention to this Iron Bank to Tywin when they were talking. I wouldn't be surprised if the leaders of this bank were the true powers of Westeros. Especially if the Lannisters are so far in to debt, going by Tyrion's records last season (I think it was then when he checked the family finances). Not even the Lannisters would be untouchable if they don't pay their literal debts. :p

I was thinking something alone those lines as well.

Tywin is the most powerful man in Westeros though.
He is hand of the king, Roose Bolton who is now warden of the north, is his lapdog, the Tullys have been defeated, The Aryn's won't cause him any harm and although the Martells are feisty they wouldn't be able to dent the Kings + Lannister armies

Really the only house that play a threat right now are the Tyrells, but technically speaking Olena runs that shit so he wouldn't be lying if he did say he was the most powerful man

Definitely a valid point.

Complistic

I'm so paranoid about spoilers when it comes to this show. Thus far, I've been fortunate to have avoided all spoilers even though I've been a fan of the show since day one.

I think today will be the first and last day of me entering this thread.

Generally I never look at the most recent page of this thread. Always read the one before it. That way everything's been cleared up and screened before I get to it.

Does the Iron Bank have an army or the means of leverage to threaten the Lannisters?

RS4-

Not a fan of Stannis either and the whole shitfest going on with him. Too bad his daughter and Davos are caught in it.

After some discussion with other moderators, we're going to start cracking down on some of the meta-commentary, insults, and rule-whining in here. These two threads are intended for discussion of the television show, not drumming up some sort of a cross-forum rivalry over whether you've read the books or not. Let's make an attempt to be nicer and more civil. Knock off the insults directed at other posters and the other thread. Stop complaining about how things are structured and how you saw a poster in the other thread do such and such. In general, stick to discussing the show, and if you have an issue with something PM a moderator about it. There are a number of us reading through the two threads, and derails, jerky behavior, and other nonsense will be dealt with appropriately.

Carbonox

Does the Iron Bank have an army or the means of leverage to threaten the Lannisters?

This would definitely be the other side of the coin to such a theory. Even if the Lannisters owed money, who the fuck would make them owe it? No one. At least that's the impression we're getting so far in this show.

Unless of course this supposed Iron Bank is so stinking rich that they can influence wars and allegiances more than the Lannisters can. If their interests are best served without the Lannisters in power, then they could financially back other kingdoms to turn their backs on them.

Either way in my mind I like to think there's always a step higher than what we're shown. Somewhere, somehow I like the idea of there being that entity in the shadows who has such an influence that would make things interesting.

Or maybe I'm just optimistic. :(

I believe Tyrion had a line last season suggesting they have a history of funding one's enemies when debts aren't paid.

Ah, there we go, I'm not totally going off on one. :p

Vagabundo

Stannis: as fucking dull as always.

Die. Die. die. Please. At least Joffery was interesting. Stannis just stands around looking grey and grim. Do something or die.

His wife and Melisandre had a nice chat and Stannis sits there with a grimace on his face.

Die. Die. die. Please. At least Joffery was interesting. Stannis just stands around looking grey and grim. Do something or die.

His wife and Melisandre had a nice chat and Stannis sits there with a grimace on his face.

He was imagining a three way in his head.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Great episode last night. I had always wondered how Joffrey would meet his end. I was glad he really got to ham it up in his final episode. He's always been one of the best parts of the show, I wonder what it's like to be that actor and be know for such a despicable character. Even Heath ledgers joker has likable qualities, but Joffrey is just pure filth. Great character.

He was a great character, and it's a little sad to see him go, but it was time. There wasn't much else to do with the character, aside from watching him continue to be an awful little shit. He was unfit to be king and it was going to catch up with him before long. It's no wonder that almost every character at the wedding is speculated to be involved in his assassination. Pretty much everyone there aside of his mother was glad to see him choke.

Again, it's sad to see him go, but it's a game changer so I'm excited to see how it all plays out in the following episodes.

I would say not (especially since we've seen the Red Wedding on the show) but you gotta be careful in this thread. Sometimes people can get up in arms over the smallest things.

I generally avoid posting in this thread (for two main reasons, the first being that I'm always hesitant to post any theories despite having never read the books in case they're correct and I'm labelled as some form of covert reader, and second as it's not a show with a major appeal to me [make no mistake though, I don't want to be spoiled as to what's going to happen]) but this is just something I wanted to pick up upon; if you've read the books but cannot be certain as to whether something has appeared in the show, the books, or both, it's wise to avoid commenting as for those who haven't it can end up very confusing when some individuals are implying scenes have happened, others are suggesting they haven't, and you're left in the middle to question your recollection of the scene (make no mistake I've no doubt you'd good intentions so I hope this doesn't come across as rude, particularly since ASIS wasn't particularly certain either). This scene has indeed been shown before. Daenery's visits the House of the Undying and walks through the throne room decrepit (as Bran saw in the most recent episode), and visits Khal Drogo (scene here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7VuGknEfQY). EDIT: I see potential spoiler comments has been commented on by the moderators in the time I've had this post open so apologies.

With that out of the way, I must comment that one thing I enjoyed about this episode (which I felt was quite strong in terms of the cinematography, editing, and focus) was the use of food. The lavish banquet following The Hound and Arya's hunger last week (oh and that bar scene was absolutely superb), Stannis' wife's tale (and Stanis' complaint about the food) and the ravenous hunger of Bran's party really helps build the show's setting. By creating such a fierce contrast between the wealthy in King's Landing and those in less extravagant situations (Arya and The Hound without wealth, Bran on the run [does he know he's in danger?], and Stannis on his island after his failed siege), it helped assist in making Cersei's demand to feed the dogs in place of the poor as an even more despicable act, begins to place more importance on food (and there is no doubt that as Winter looms this will become even more important if the situation beyond the Wall is any indication), further emphasize the current power (and sense of victory) of the Lannisters, and also creates a sense of delusion among the wealthy, and powerful, in Westeros. While everybody claps cheerfully at the banquet to Margaery's exclamation, they're at the royal wedding, what sort of hunger do they know, and more importantly, what have they ever done to help ease the situation for the poor? The show tends to have a tight focus on the wealthy in Westeros and I must admit that aside from Margaery's actions in the previous season I can barely recall a single individual of note working for the betterment of those less-off, and even then her actions were motivated by a desire to improve Joffrey's image (and thus her own) and lessen the likelihood of a rebellion. It's almost fitting how delusional those in power are, however, given the White Walker's are looming and everybody was (I guess they still are really) obsessed with the 'war of the five kings'.

On a more focused note, the wedding scenes themselves were quite wonderful. The building of tension by the introduction of all those with a feud or source of conflict with the Lannisters, the internal arguments among the family, the cuts between them, the discomfort of both families as they sit separately (I know this is probably common at a wedding but I still enjoyed the lack of mingling at the table with the other family to create a sense of separation) at the table, and the rising sources of conflict (Brienne and Cersei, Loras and Jamie, the Obrenne exchange, Margaery and Cersei, Brienne and Joffrey [and at the same time, Margaery and Joffrey], the mockery of the war, and Tyrion and Joffrey) was all quite wonderful. I have to say that the episodes which focus on a single location have been some of my favourites of the show; it's a shame they're so rare even if it's perfectly understandable as to why.

In a more general sense, currently my least favourite characters' arcs are Bran, Jon Snow, and Daenerys, with the King's Landing plotlines, Arya, and Stannis (in particular). I'm not a particular fan of the supernatural elements which is primarily why the North doesn't yet appeal to me, I do like the religious conflict that exists in the world (primarily the suggested conflict between the Tree Gods and Lord of Light hinted at by the conflict between light and dark) but despite it appearing like the primary threat of the series I just cannot get behind it as it plays out, to me, as a very mystery-driven set of storylines (Why can Bran Warg and what makes him so powerful [Hodor[? Why him in particular? What do his visions mean? What must Bran do? Why did he get visions from the tree? What is the significance of the three-eyed Raven? etc.) which doesn't have the greatest appeal to me. While it could be argued the religious aspect is similar, I disagree, as I prefer the conflict between 'appearance versus reality' (which feels to me like the most significant theme in the show, that or 'power', with the importance of spies, distinguishing rumour from reality, the visions, the religious aspects, the effect that personal opinion has on the recording of history [the cause of Robert's Rebellion in particular], the air of distrust, true alliances versus feigned alliances, partnership, etc.), and one's interpretation of events, in addition to the potential malleability one can possess when subjected to potential sources of power and whether it is legitimate, to what I feel is a rather shallow story in the North, featuring characters I don't find particularly compelling (Jon Snow's arc last season made me invested in the "Wildling versus Crows" conflict, or at least more than I had been, but I still find the more grand plot concerning it uninteresting, and find both Jon and Bran quite bland). It has me somewhat concerned with Melissandre's implication that Stannis should head there considering I very much enjoy his character while also liking the conflict between Melisasandre, Davos, Stannis, his daughter, and his wife, but I'm hopeful it'll work should he go (if not though, I won't shed a tear). Daenerys seems pretty clear to be an end-game event (either invading before Winter arrives, and then her and any remaining individuals are faced with the threat from the North, or invading after and left to tackle a much fiercer foe than she anticipated) but I am finding her plot increasingly frustrating. Surely she is in a position right now to invade Westeros; she has three dragons, she has lieutenants, she has an army, and presumably she has wealth? I can understand why she's become side-tracked by her current vendetta against slavery but I must admit it feels like she's being dragged from A to B to C to D so that, eventually, the plot elsewhere is ready for her to invade. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later as I'm growing increasingly tired of the stalling; I know longer find her personal arc compelling (she was my favourite in the first season) in isolation and without it having a greater impact on Westeros (or vice versa) I can't imagine it'll be long before my interest wanes on what currently feels like a spin-off series, contained within the main series. With more time dedicated to her, perhaps this would be more compelling, but given that the show has so many characters to juggle and it simply cannot afford to do this, it is admittedly beginning to feel like a shallower story to me than the rest of what is occurring (with the exception of the primary happenings of the North [that is, the White Walker/Bran related events, the Wildlings aspect I somewhat enjoy]) without a least some reason to develop further intrigue. So far (being concise and probably unfairly summarising), all we've been shown of Daenerys is that she's extremely well meaning, doesn't particularly understand the lay of the land, is somewhat naive, somewhat stubborn, very trusting, open to seduction, slightly hypocritical, set to defy cultural norms, and would probably be a good ruler, if she was able to deliver what she currently intends; there just isn't enough of a sustained conflict to develop upon this, either a personal conflict, a struggle between her desires and the actuality of the situation (this is where I think they may go eventually, corrupting her morals by presenting her with a situation where she must break her 'code' to rule), or something more substantial. It increases the scope of the world, but, currently I feel like she doesn't have any sizeable conflict or arc, isn't posing very many interesting questions or thoughts, particularly in comparison to her first season's arc. It isn't something the show can ignore, assuming she will become a very important part of the story later, but her snails-paced development into a competent ruler isn't particularly compelling itself. I guess, really, I just don't enjoy moments which seem designed simply to move somebody from one position to another, without making that compelling in its own right; I can understand that this may just be a constraint of the medium though, given how vast the cast is ("The Wire may have had a similarly expansive scope, but it wasn't as confined as this is with the source material).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
He was a great character, and it's a little sad to see him go, but it was time. There wasn't much else to do with the character, aside from watching him continue to be an awful little shit. He was unfit to be king and it was going to catch up with him before long. It's no wonder that almost every character at the wedding is speculated to be involved in his assassination. Pretty much everyone there aside of his mother was glad to see him choke.

Again, it's sad to see him go, but it's a game changer so I'm excited to see how it all plays out in the following episodes.

I was grinning so hugely when NOBODY got up to help him. It was funny that Joffrey was so quick to canonize The War of Five Kings with his little minstrel show, it felt very appropriate given where the show seems to be going. Mellisandre said last season "The War of Five Kings means nothing." Last night's episode was the last of that baggage being cleared out.

Oberyn and Ser Loras eyeballing each other in that episode.
I'm totally okay with this and I hope it happens. I ship it so hard.

Also, I loved the makeup and effects they used for Joffrey. It was damn near spot on to the book. I expected him to be a touch more purple and bleed more but overall, I was pretty damn impressed. Such an incredible episode.

Really stoked for Bran's story development too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I also was way into that line when the lannister siblings were together someone said "Look at us, the proud lannister children. An Imp, The kingslayer, and the mother of madness."

Did you miss the undertone of the wife possibly ending up going crazy on the daughter and wanting her sacrificed or something similar? And that no matter how much Stannis seems to accept whatever the Red Lady and the religion says, it all stops short at his daughter. I think that was a pretty good character defining moment for Stannis and I think is the first clue to a possible break of him from the Red Lady if this is foreshadowing of something eventually happening to the daughter...

Did you miss the undertone of the wife possibly ending up going crazy on the daughter and wanting her sacrificed or something similar? And that no matter how much Stannis seems to accept whatever the Red Lady and the religion says, it all stops short at his daughter. I think that was a pretty good character defining moment for Stannis and I think is the first clue to a possible break of him from the Red Lady if this is foreshadowing of something eventually happening to the daughter...

Yeah I liked how they showed a softer side of Stannis. It definitely sets up an interesting tension, how his wife is clearly more devoted to the red woman than he is.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
Just to clarify some discussion in case it does become a plot point on the show later on, and someone can of course correct me:

All the discussions I've watched (or rather remember) on the show about the Iron Bank, going back to the first season I think with a Small Council scene and Ned's surprise at the Crown's debt, has specifically been about the Crown being in debt, not the Lannisters. It's a distinction that may not matter, I guess, but I don't see why the Lannisters should be blamed for a problem caused by the Baratheon's, aka the Crown.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just to clarify some discussion in case it does become a plot point on the show later on, and someone can of course correct me:

All the discussions I've watched (or rather remember) on the show about the Iron Bank, going back to the first season I think with a Small Council scene and Ned's surprise at the Crown's debt, has specifically been about the Crown being in debt, not the Lannisters. It's a distinction that may not matter, I guess, but I don't see why the Lannisters should be blamed for a problem caused by the Baratheon's, aka the Crown.

Tywin was still controlling through when Robert was king.. he was funding the whole operation. I don't think that will end up being a meaningful distinction. They became one family with they joined houses.

effzee

Stannis's wife was creeping me out, that whole soul thing was really creepy.
Also, has anyone been speculating about the tree? It said come find me under the tree, but then it seemed like Bran decided to go to kings landing.

Didn't the last part of the vision speak to him "North"?

And since they are already on the other side of the wall, they can't be going towards King's Landing.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Tywin was still controlling through when Robert was king.. he was funding the whole operation. I don't think that will end up being a meaningful distinction. They became one family with they joined houses.

I'm not sure Tywin was.
Although they heavily borrowed from them, when Tyrion became the hand (or master of coin I forget which) he found out that Littlefinger was just borrowing from the Iron Bank to fund everything.

Tugatrix

I had to share this one

sansadance_gallery_primary.gif

SeanR1221

How old is Tommen (about?). I saw him in the background and he either hit puberty or they changed the actor. I just remember him being really really young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom