• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIS

Tywin might be running the show but Joffrey is King and that creates a lot of turmoil if he suddenly dies by a mysterious plot. Look how the Lannisters fell apart from it already by blaming Tyrion. Who knows what else they will do now. Littlefinger also wants Sansa Stark to use for his own gain in the North so it was two-fold. Vengeance for a lot of things, creating turmoil, allowing him to take Sansa who is of more worth now.

Olenna gets to take out a King that is too unpredictable and can possibly marry off Margaery to Tommen making them look even better to the people but also keeping her prized political possession (Margaery) safer than before because even if she could manipulate Joffrey quite a bit, you could never completely tame a beast of that nature. Tommen will be easier to control since he's not as crazy and he's even younger.

I think Catelyn wasn't the REAL reason behind it, just a little motivation. He loved her and surely would be angry with the news, but mostly this gives him a chance to take over the North with all the others dead even if this takes a very long time while they build up at The Vale.

He's a major character that suddenly disappeared in the middle of his own plots? And do you think The Vale is his end goal? He's always wanted more and it's just another move in his own Game of Thrones. This assassination has his name written all over it because of how under-handed it is. Oberyn would never do something as low as this.

You don't have a guy like that just randomly say goodbye to the show when his ambitions are well known. If I'm wrong, oh well. But I think he's involved but at the very least, I do think he's mysteriously absent regardless. The North has a huge opening now and Littlefinger sees an opportunity in the future. I don't think he'd be satisfied with the Boltons taking over the North.
I honestly don't get why Littlefinger would do this, whisking away Sansa right after Joffery's death makes her such a big suspect that she will have her head chopped off the second she's discovered. If he truly wanted the north he could have easily took her without Joffery's death, because she's that much more in danger now. If anything Littlefinger is known to keep his anger away from his plots. If you are proposing that he's the mastermind behind taking Sansa away AND killing joffery at the same time.... That just doesn't make sense, especially for him.

I guess so, unfortunately... It's pretty clear that they were flirting.
Again, I understand the flirting part. I'm talking about something else entirely.

Vashetti

Banned
And you can't tell after two episodes but also 3 previous seasons of discussion about honor and how poison is the most cowardly and shameful ways of dealing with an enemy? After two episodes, I don't think Oberyn is the type to do something so shameful when he's been so up-front about his hatred of the Lannisters and insulting them to their faces. I mean, he assaulted two Lannisters right in front of Tyrion yet he's going to do something shameful like poisoning Joffrey? That doesn't sound like a noble warrior to me.

He's a warrior so why would he poison them? Do you think he would do something so cowardly? He wants the entire Lannister family to suffer by his hands, not Joffrey with poison.

I'm just not seeing how you can deduce so much about Oberyn. The guy's had what, 10 minutes of screentime at most. He seems like a great character but I don't know a huge amount about him yet.

If I didn't know better I'd say you've already read up on what happens.

demolitio

I honestly don't get why Littlefinger would do this, whisking away Sansa right after Joffery's death makes her such a big suspect that she will have her head chopped off the second she's discovered. If he truly wanted the north he could have easily took her without Joffery's death, because she's that much more in danger now. If anything Littlefinger is known to keep his anger away from his plots. If you are proposing that he's the mastermind behind taking Sansa away AND killing joffery at the same time.... That just doesn't make sense, especially for him.

How could he have a claim to the North? This is like Medieval times and you need a claim, not to mention a lot of vassal to support your claim. So why would the North rally around Littlefinger and The Vale instead of one of their families? He would need a Stark.

They wouldn't publicly display Sansa if they took her anyway. He's playing the end game and it's not something he could do in a season.

Littlefinger is a cunning man that will wait until the time is right to strike.

I mean, it could all be Olenna's doing, but I don't think so. If I'm wrong, oh well but I truly believe he has something to do with this based on what we know of him in the past and the fact that Sansa is getting out.

ASIS

How could he have a claim to the North? This is like Medieval times and you need a claim, not to mention a lot of vassal to support your claim. So why would the North rally around Littlefinger and The Vale instead of one of their families? He would need a Stark.

They wouldn't publicly display Sansa if they took her anyway. He's playing the end game and it's not something he could do in a season.

Littlefinger is a cunning man that will wait until the time is right to strike.

I mean, it could all be Olenna's doing, but I don't think so. If I'm wrong, oh well but I truly believe he has something to do with this based on what we know of him in the past and the fact that Sansa is getting out.

that part makes sense. What doesn't make sense is him plotting to kill joffery because of Sansa. Like, why would he need to kill joffery to claim the north through Sansa? I'm really not following here.

demolitio

I'm just not seeing how you can deduce so much about Oberyn. The guy's had what, 10 minutes of screentime at most. He seems like a great character but I don't know a huge amount about him yet.

If I didn't know better I'd say you've already read up on what happens.

Oh dear Lord. I give up then. If I can't explain my theories without this bullshit, then fine. I said why clear as day based on those 10 minutes but instead of responding to that, you accuse me of that bullshit after being in this thread for all the seasons and posting this theory since last Sunday and discussing it after watching the episode again.

I've mentioned how I love the foreshadowing scenes in this show and how you can catch even more of them if you go back and see them again.

I don't know shit about Oberyn. But we know he's a noble, a warrior, and very outspoken about hating the Lannisters so why would he do something so cowardly if he's going to a suspect anyway?

The show has talked about poison being cowardly for a reason.

Edit: Here's what an article about the episode said about it as well:
Ned Stark, one of the many people Joffrey killed in cowardly fashion, said long ago that poison is a woman's weapon. So maybe a woman killed Joffrey.

that part makes sense. What doesn't make sense is him plotting to kill joffery because of Sansa. Like, why would he need to kill joffery to claim the north through Sansa? I'm really not following here.

That part is where I'm trying to really trying to understand. Maybe it was partially for Catelyn being killed in such a horrible manner, but mostly hoping it really throws Westeros into turmoil and causes more chaos than good. He's always playing the end game so who knows. I mean, how else would he get Sansa out and a claim to the North if she was married to Tyrion and basically captive in King's Landing? This FORCED her to leave and caused a lot of turmoil at the same time including the Lannisters turning on Tyrion.

Edit: I'm an analyst. I analyze constantly. This is me over-analyzing the show but also what makes for a good story just like how I think Tywin dying would advance the story A LOT as far as his children goes which I talked about a few pages back. I look at it from a story perspective as well and Littlefinger being a main character and then not even having a scene so far makes me think he'll have his grand appearance soon and he could find reasons to do something like this.

We're talking about the most cunning man in Westeros.

Peagles

Oh dear Lord. I give up then. If I can't explain my theories without this bullshit, then fine. I said why clear as day based on those 10 minutes but instead of responding to that, you accuse me of that bullshit after being in this thread for all the seasons and posting this theory since last Sunday and discussing it after watching the episode again.

I've mentioned how I love the foreshadowing scenes in this show and how you can catch even more of them if you go back and see them again.

I don't know shit about Oberyn. But we know he's a noble, a warrior, and very outspoken about hating the Lannisters so why would he do something so cowardly if he's going to a suspect anyway?

The show has talked about poison being cowardly for a reason.

That part is where I'm trying to really trying to understand. Maybe it was partially for Catelyn being killed in such a horrible manner, but mostly hoping it really throws Westeros into turmoil and causes more chaos than good. He's always playing the end game so who knows. I mean, how else would he get Sansa out and a claim to the North if she was married to Tyrion and basically captive in King's Landing? This FORCED her to leave and caused a lot of turmoil at the same time including the Lannisters turning on Tyrion.

Edit: I'm an analyst. I analyze constantly. This is me over-analyzing the show but also what makes for a good story just like how I think Tywin dying would advance the story A LOT as far as his children goes which I talked about a few pages back.

For what it's worth, I agree with your musings. I have the same impression of Oberyn and I'm not a book reader or read ahead or anything, I think it's pretty clear from his behaviour. That plus poison has been referred to at least once as a woman's tool. I overanalyse things too, I irritate people too, you're not alone :p

demolitio

For what it's worth, I agree with your musings. I have the same impression of Oberyn and I'm not a book reader or read ahead or anything, I think it's pretty clear from his behaviour. That plus poison has been referred to at least once as a woman's tool. I overanalyse things, too, I irritate people too, you're not alone :p

Thank you, just guess I'll keep it to myself from now on or with my friend, but he's not good with conversations on the matter since he asked if Joffrey was Jaime's kid...Yea. :D

My brain is hard-wired for this shit which is why I was accepted for an intel job in the Air Force. It's just what I do and I have a lot of time on my hands now that I'm sick, lol.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I had the same first impression of Oberyn. Seems like a bold guy. He'd stab you in the heart while looking into your eyes, rather than your back.

On a totally different note, I really hope to see The Mountain get some heavy screen time this season, especially with the new actor. I feel like they've been teasing us with this character for the past three seasons.

Peagles

Thank you, just guess I'll keep it to myself from now on or with my friend, but he's not good with conversations on the matter since he asked if Joffrey was Jaime's kid...Yea. :D

My brain is hard-wired for this shit which is why I was accepted for an intel job in the Air Force. It's just what I do and I have a lot of time on my hands now that I'm sick, lol.

I'm much the same, I analyse people for a living, but you also have to remember that fiction is seldom as fleshed out as you need it to be to do your job properly, so over-analysis often occurs and can lead you into strange places.

Everyone (including my friends who are book readers) can't understand why I complain about the lack of character development all the time. It's not that there isn't any, or that it's particularly lacking, I just need more to work with personally. It's also why I've decided I'm going to read the books soon (maybe after this season airs).

I wouldn't keep it to yourself though... I certainly don't. Lol.

demolitio

I had the same first impression of Oberyn. Seems like a bold guy. He'd stab you in the heart while looking into your eyes, rather than your back.

On a totally different note, I really hope to see The Mountain get some heavy screen time this season, especially with the new actor. I feel like they've been teasing us with this character for the past three seasons.

I actually forgot about him for quite some time. Seems like he's been sleeping while The Hound does all the tedious work.

I actually can't even remember what he looks like now.

ASIS

I'm much the same, I analyse people for a living, but you also have to remember that fiction is seldom as fleshed out as you need it to be to do your job properly, so over-analysis often occurs and can lead you into strange places.

Everyone (including my friends who are book readers) can't understand why I complain about the lack of character development all the time. It's not that there isn't any, or that it's particularly lacking, I just need more to work with personally. It's also why I've decided I'm going to read the books soon (maybe after this season airs).

I wouldn't keep it to yourself though... I certainly don't. Lol.
Can you explain please? I really want to know what you mean by that.

In case anyone missed it, just a quick refresher on something that was brought up earlier this week:
After some discussion with other moderators, we're going to start cracking down on some of the meta-commentary, insults, and rule-whining in here. These two threads are intended for discussion of the television show, not drumming up some sort of a cross-forum rivalry over whether you've read the books or not. Let's make an attempt to be nicer and more civil. Knock off the insults directed at other posters and the other thread. Stop complaining about how things are structured and how you saw a poster in the other thread do such and such. In general, stick to discussing the show, and if you have an issue with something PM a moderator about it. There are a number of us reading through the two threads, and derails, jerky behavior, and other nonsense will be dealt with appropriately.
Enjoy the show tonight.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I actually forgot about him for quite some time. Seems like he's been sleeping while The Hound does all the tedious work.

I actually can't even remember what he looks like now.
The new actor looks like something out of the WWE, but I haven't seen him in costume yet. It could work. The last actor was like seven feet tall but didn't have a very scary face at all.

Vashetti

Banned
New Mountain:

tumblr_muiqv8c0sf1r00l9eo1_500.jpg

Volimar

Don't look at the bulge. Don't look at the bulge. Don't look at the bulge. Don't look at the bulge. Don't look at the bulge.

StuBurns

Banned
Did Cersei kill her first son? He had dark hair, so presumably wasn't Jaime's son, and last week Jaime said if her fiance got her pregnant, she'd kill the child.

Edit: Here's what an article about the episode said about it as well:
Ned Stark, one of the many people Joffrey killed in cowardly fashion, said long ago that poison is a woman's weapon. So maybe a woman killed Joffrey.
I think in S1 they refereed to poison as something a women would do.
I'm gonna find it so tragically hilarious if it turns out that Cersei is the one who did it, but it was because she was trying to poison Margarey a.k.a. "the bitch from Highgarden" and things backfired.

Vashetti

Banned
Did Cersei kill her first son? He had dark hair, so presumably wasn't Jaime's son, and last week Jaime said if her fiance got her pregnant, she'd kill the child.

As I said in here the other day, I don't think that child existed and was just a story Cersei told Catelyn to make her feel better, make Cersei seem more sympathetic (to Catelyn), and not implicate in her Bran's attempted murder.

I don't think they every revealed how it died, other than it was Roberts legitimate child and died in infancy.

I'm gonna find it so tragically hilarious if it turns out that Cersei is the one who did it, but it was because she was trying to poison Margarey a.k.a. "the bitch from Highgarden" and things backfired.

This is something I didn't consider in the slightest bit. If this is actually what happend...whoa!

I doubt it, but man would it be the curve ball no one expected.

StuBurns

Banned
As I said in here the other day, I don't think that child existed and was just a story Cersei told Catelyn to make her feel better, make Cersei seem more sympathetic (to Catelyn), and not implicate in her Bran's attempted murder.
She talks about it to Rob in episode five.

Nameless

She also mentions him to Robert. Rough quote: "I loved you once, even after we lost out first child...for quite a while actually." I agree she's not sincerely trying to empathize with Cat, but I feel like the story is honest even if her intentions are not.

Vashetti

Banned
She talks about it to Rob in episode five.

She also mentions him to Robert. Rough quote: "I loved you once, even after we lost out first child...for quite a while actually." I agree she's not sincerely trying to empathize with Cat, but I feel like the story is honest even if her intentions are not.

Oh gosh that child reference has always gone over my head. I don't think it ever registered.

I thought she never had sex with him, "finished him off in other ways".

StuBurns

Banned
Oh gosh that child reference has always gone over my head. I don't think it ever registered.

She says they had sex on their wedding night, maybe it was for a period before she stopped having sex with him, or it could have just been the once.

Nameless

I assumed she started doing that once she realized Robert would always be obsessed with Lyanna. It's funny, Jaime jokes about "The War for Cersei's cunt", but the Uprising against the Mad King began precisely because of two men and their affections for Lyanna Stark.

Vashetti

Banned
Funny that Cersei/Robert scene exists purely because they hadn't filmed enough footage and had to go back and film some low-budget stuff to make up the time.

Funny that Cersei/Robert scene exists purely because they hadn't filmed enough footage and had to go back and film some low-budget stuff to make up the time.

How's that? I think it's a good scene, and also shows a side of them that we weren't used to seeing. Actually, I think it was a pretty important scene considering the tone and events of the season.

StuBurns

Banned
It's an awesome scene, maybe my favourite in season one. I like the more mundane aspects of 'palace intrigue', makes it feel more grounded.

Vashetti

Banned
How's that? I think it's a good scene, and also shows a side of them that we weren't used to seeing. Actually, I think it was a pretty important scene considering the tone and events of the season.

Oh, don't think I was demeaning the scene. I adore it.

I just read about it earlier:

Before Game of Thrones both Benioff and Weiss worked in film, and were unfamiliar with working on a television show. This resulted in several first-season episodes being about 10 minutes too short for HBO, forcing them to write another 100 pages of scripts in two weeks. Due to lack of budget the new scenes were designed to be inexpensive to film, such as two actors conversing in one room. Benioff and Weiss noted that some of their favorite scenes from the first season were the results of the dilemma, including one between Robert and Cersei Baratheon discussing their marriage.

Oh, don't think I was demeaning the scene. I adore it.

I just read about it earlier:

Wow, that's actually really cool. I do remember watching it on my third or so time around and thinking it looked a little low budget, but I never knew it was something they tossed in last minute.

Kinda makes me appreciate it even more.

Nameless

Crazy how one of the most important scenes in those character's development exists by happenstance. On my first rewatch that was the moment my Cersei fandom really started to blossom.

Ultimadrago

In case anyone missed it, just a quick refresher on something that was brought up earlier this week:

After some discussion with other moderators, we're going to start cracking down on some of the meta-commentary, insults, and rule-whining in here. These two threads are intended for discussion of the television show, not drumming up some sort of a cross-forum rivalry over whether you've read the books or not. Let's make an attempt to be nicer and more civil. Knock off the insults directed at other posters and the other thread. Stop complaining about how things are structured and how you saw a poster in the other thread do such and such. In general, stick to discussing the show, and if you have an issue with something PM a moderator about it. There are a number of us reading through the two threads, and derails, jerky behavior, and other nonsense will be dealt with appropriately.

Enjoy the show tonight.

smh. This shouldn't even be such an issue. Lame that some posters feel the need to cross over unnecessary boundaries with discussion in respective threads. Thanks again, Cornballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom