• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Banned
I think what makes her storyline dull is that she's portrayed as this irresistible force totally immune from the political and military quagmire plaguing all the other major players on the show. There has been no recent twist, no intriguing subplot related to her story. Coupled with the fact that everyone is well aware of her ultimate goal and she's drawing towards it at a snail's pace despite having the means to finally fulfill it makes her arc incredibly frustrating.

The only obvious twist remaining in Dany's story that I can see is her finding out that Jorah was an informant and betrayed her for a time, before switching his loyalties.

They touched on this last season in episode 5 when Jorah was trying to deduce whether Barristan knew of Jorah's deceit, they ramped up the tension between them for awhile and it hasn't been mentioned since.

KHarvey16

I think what makes her storyline dull is that she's portrayed as this irresistible force totally immune from the political and military quagmire plaguing all the other major players on the show. There has been no recent twist, no intriguing subplot related to her story. Coupled with the fact that everyone is well aware of her ultimate goal and she's drawing towards it at a snail's pace despite having the means to finally fulfill it makes her arc incredibly frustrating.

We know what her ultimate goal is but I don't think she's ready yet and for now she's intent on freeing slaves until she is.

Well people were always discussing the incest rumors, they're certainly mentioned within the show by characters that don't actually know, but Stannis wants the throne, I wouldn't think anyone would take his word as objective fact.

Regardless, even with the rumors, Joffrey's stake might have been questioned by those in the know, but his rule wasn't by 'the commoners'. People accepted him as King as far as the show really communicates. Even the people of the North that follow Robb, they don't seem to be focused on him not being a rightful King, just him having had Eddard killed.

Wasn't there one guy brought before Joffrey who was singing a song about them?

Zemm

1. Littlefinger's accent is horrendous
2. Queen of Thorns is a horrible cunt of a person, how anyone likes her when she talks to people like they are dirt I will never know.
3. Sam's storyline is so boring.
4. I really liked that ending scene with Dany.

2. Queen of Thorns is a horrible cunt of a person, how anyone likes her when she talks to people like they are dirt I will never know.

Wait, who's the Queen of Thorns ? Is that a moniker that's been used in the show ? I don't recall ever hearing it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Littlefinger's accent has always been the worst on the show. It's all over the place. Dinklage 's accent was a little over the top at first, but he's gotten better.

StuBurns

Banned
Littlefinger's accent is kind of funny because he seems so blatantly and overtly evil, and he's so sneaky and serpentine, it's funny seeing people trust him, and have to be convinced of his true nature. Most the really horrid characters do a decent job of being warm to people they're going to victimize.

Look, Littlefinger's accent isn't Irish. Aiden Gillen is, but Littlefinger has never had a remotely Irish accent. It sometimes borders on Welsh, but generally it's a Southern English kind of accent spoken very gruffly. In Season 1, his voice was normal and then at a certain point Aiden Gillen thought it'd be a good idea to sound more like a cartoon villain, and for some reason nobody told him that was a dumb idea. Either that or the showrunners told him to do it and he didn't feel like he could tell them it was a dumb idea and refuse.

Vashetti

Banned
Look, Littlefinger's accent isn't Irish. Aiden Gillen is, but Littlefinger has never had a remotely Irish accent. It sometimes borders on Welsh, but generally it's a Southern English kind of accent spoken very gruffly. In Season 1, his voice was normal and then at a certain point Aiden Gillen thought it'd be a good idea to sound more like a cartoon villain, and for some reason nobody told him that was a dumb idea.

How do you know he wasn't asked by the writers/directors/producers?

Curufinwe

Show runner David Benioff on Cersei-Jamie from the Inside the Episode. It doesn't sound like the guys in charge meant it to seem at all consensual.

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/...y5zMXsjGyMXIyMrJJJ5aW5BfkJFbalhSVpgIAXbkXOA==

It becomes a really horrifying scene because you see, obviously, Joffrey's body right there and you see that Cersei is resisting this. She's saying no, and he's forcing himself on her. So, it was a really uncomfortable scene, and a tricky scene to shoot.

I fucking love the Thenns.
They're badass wildlings, to the max.

Khaleesi was fine, but her scenes are getting a bit samey-samey. Pop up in front of a new city, does something cruuuaaazy, and then does her smug speech. I wish one of her dragons just swooped down to eat that challenger.

Yeah thats what I was hoping for too. Like send your fucking dragons in and eat that mofo.

But that would also strike fear into the slaves as well, when she wants them to love her.

I bet she just really wanted to see Daarios Dick when he took it out to piss

stufte

Next to the dead body of their firstborn son lol

I laughed so much at that scene.

I thought for sure when she went to grasp at the cloth Joffrey was on she was going to pull his dead body down onto them... I was a bit disappointed when it didn't come to pass.

Jayof9s

There's Gendry I guess, but I'm not sure why we would ever see him again.

For a second I thought there was a shot of Gendry hauling a barrel through King's Landing when Sansa was escaping at the start of the episode. But he was in the shot for like 1/2 a second, so it was probably just a random extra with brown hair.

Demon Ice

Banned
Some of the reactions to Jaime's rape of Cersei are rather interesting. Had people started thinking he was a good guy now?

This isn't Star Wars. People don't just turn to the light side after pushing 10 year olds out of windows and murdering their own cousins in cold blood. Jaime's meant to be a terrible person with a couple redeeming qualities, not a redeemed, formerly terrible person.

Vashetti

Banned
Some of the reactions to Jaime's rape of Cersei are rather interesting. Had people started thinking he was a good guy now?

This isn't Star Wars. People don't just turn to the light side after pushing 10 year olds out of windows and murdering their own cousins in cold blood. Jaime's meant to be a terrible person with a couple redeeming qualities, not a redeemed, formerly terrible person.

Not a good guy, but he was definitely on some sort of redemption arc.

Disobeying his father at the start of this season, pushed out by Cersei, he's increasingly becoming an outsider in the family when he was once considered to be the heir and favourite.

stufte

There's a huge uproar on my facebook feed about it. About how the show is glorifying rape or some such nonsense. It's a fictional show. A fictional show that also features murder, torture, genital mutilation, incest, and the intentional burning of children, amongst other horrific things. I'm not understanding how this is at all outside of the scope of the show or the Jaime character. At all.

Sanjuro

Jaime doesn't have to be defined as a good/bad guy. All I know is he was one of the best characters throughout the course of the show.

There's a huge uproar on my facebook feed about it. About how the show is glorifying rape or some such nonsense. It's a fictional show. A fictional show that also features murder, torture, genital mutilation, incest, and the intentional burning of children, amongst other horrific things. I'm not understanding how this is at all outside of the scope of the show or the Jaime character. At all.

Cos millions of people worldwide watch it and the media influences and brings out all our views on every part of life. Also, this was made by people who live in the modern world and bring their own philosophies to the work. What is in the show says something about us, and something about them, and people are entitled to any reaction they wish to have to it. Then you need to justify that reaction - if you want to limit discussion of the show to strictly the world of Westeros, that's fine, but a lot of people want to talk about a wider variety of meanings and receptions to it.

Demon Ice

Banned
Not a good guy, but he was definitely on some sort of redemption arc.

Disobeying his father at the start of this season, pushed out by Cersei, he's increasingly becoming an outsider in the family when he was once considered to be the heir and favourite.

I'm curious, why do you consider Jaime disobeying Tywin to be an act of redemption?

Same thing is happening on my feed. People seem to forget that A) rape is literally an omnipresent threat in the setting of Westeros and B) this is not the first rape that has been shown on the show.

Yes but this is different. Even terrible persons are good to their sons, at least their firstborns, at least in the first couple of days after their death. Martin never ceases to surprise me.

Well then he's worse than terrible :p

So what is The Hounds deal? He has a soft spot for female wolves but everybody else can go screw themselves? Or is he harsh realist teaching Arya that it's a dog eat dog world and you must do whatever to survive. I think they should have shown the old man as having literally nothing just to hammer home the point that no amount of hay carrying was going to save him come winter

I liked Arya being all smug and smiling on her pony. There's still a little kid in there somewhere buried under the Corvo/Ezio ancestor she's becoming

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Littlefinger's turning into Christian Bale Batman. It's hilarious how his voice gets deeper and more raspy the more villainous he becomes.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm curious, why do you consider Jaime disobeying Tywin to be an act of redemption?

Because in Season 1 he likely would have agreed with whatever Tywin told him. He's been changed by his experiences.

His look at that book also said to me he intends to be a better person.

inky

Sansa leaped from one bad situation to another.

Fucking Littlefinger. Poor Dontos :(

Yup. Most dangerous man in Westeros.

And I really don't see the Jamie thing. Incestuous child (attempted) murderer since ep. 1 = he was trying to survive, but, forced sex scene with tints of rape = terrible person now? I mean... he always was a terrible person. Most people on this show are, in big part due to their environment. Translating that outrage from the fictional world to the real world is dumb as is pretending some characters are better people than they really are and have always been shown to be.

Demon Ice

Banned
Because in Season 1 he likely would have agreed with whatever Tywin told him. He's been changed by his experiences.

His look at that book also said to me he intends to be a better person.

That's an interesting interpretation, but not one I'd agree with. I think a lot of people are ascribing redemption and nobility to some of Jaime's actions because they want him to be a redeemed character, but I think that's too straightforward for a character as complex as Jaime.

That's an interesting interpretation, but not one I'd agree with. I think a lot of people are ascribing redemption and nobility to some of Jaime's actions because they want him to be a redeemed character, but I think that's too straightforward for a character as complex as Jaime.

But when there was some gradual change before, here he seems to do a complete 180
He will never be a saint but he's not even less of a dick, just the same or possibly worse

I never looked at the HBO map until just now. Dany is still miles and miles away.

She'll walk into Westeros Xerxes from 300 style and be shocked to discover they have entered the Industrial Revolution during the reign of Supreme Emperor Tyrion Stark III [/hope this happens]

Dr.Acula

Banned
Ygritte does nothing for me. I would forcibly kick her from my bed.

Cersei on the other hand..........

You know nothing, Dennis.

wBc3uh8.gif

I like the actor who plays Cersei with the shorter, dark hair, suits her.

Edit: I agree with you on Dany's storyline. They somehow made the story involving dragons my least favorite to watch which is quite the feat. I get that she's building up for her entrance to Westeros eventually, but so many bigger things are happening that I hate to see interrupted by another scene of a slave city being liberated. There's some important stuff in there for sure, but the payoff seems like it's so far away that it's hard to be excited. Not to mention, I don't think Emilia Clarke really invokes the emotions I expect from Dany either. She seems so calm and I don't buy a lot of her lines when she's giving this passionate speech to slaves. It just feels...fake.

I was watching her speech and kept waiting for the ruler.

"..."

"..."

"Sigh. Release the arrows."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom