• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Before that scene, I didn't think he was. I thought he was a more complex character who did horrible things out of some misguided love of his sister and that his capture was showing some insight into his motivations. He showed regret when he talked about serving the Mad King and compassion when he saved Brienne when he didn't have to. Shoving Bran out the window and killing his cousin was out of survival but the rape just turns him back into another asshole character. That was disappointing.
How do you know this wasn't out of twisted and misguided love too?

I don't know the thread rules regards to episode titles, as it's not specified in the OP as far as I can see, but it seems like next week will deal directly with Jaime's loyalty. Maybe we'll get the motives for the action, and whatever repercussions it has to Cersei.

Van Owen

Banned
Wasn't she saying "it isn't right" most of the time when they were on the ground? It would have been worse if it was "no no no get off me" I guess...

StuBurns

Banned
Cersei and Jaime both wanted affection

But you know, location, location, location

Jaime didn't care about that
I think he did care about location, or he'd have forced her in her room in the first episode. He specifically did it there for a reason.

UrbanRats

I'm not sure how the rape scene is supposed to "ruin" Jaime's character.

The series is clearly not about good guys vs bad guys and, unless you're comparing to the books (which you shouldn't do) we don't know where his character is supposed to go in the future, so how did they ruin him? If it's just because you don't have a paragon character to root for anymore, "you haven't been paying attention etc etc".

Kimaka

How do you know this wasn't out of twisted and misguided love too?

I don't know the thread rules regards to episode titles, as it's not specified in the OP as far as I can see, but it seems like next week will deal directly with Jaime's loyalty. Maybe we'll get the motives for the action, and whatever repercussions it has to Cersei.

He called her a hateful woman and was angry that she asked him to killed Tyrion. It looked like he raped her out of hate not because it was their idea of love.

Sansa leaped from one bad situation to another.

Fucking Littlefinger. Poor Dontos :(

Seeing Littlefinger put a damper on Sansa's escape. I guess it's better than King's Landing but she is probably just going to get used again.

StuBurns

Banned
He called her a hateful woman and was angry that she asked him to killed Tyrion. It looked like he raped her out of hate not because it was their idea of love.
He sent everyone away the second he entered the room, it seemed like he was planning it regardless. She would have sent the guards away to ask him to kill Tyrion obviously, but he did it preemptively.

Who knows, maybe it'll never be mentioned again, and never justified, but it felt like a pivotal scene, and I would be very surprised if it's not at least discussed between them or a motive for her actions in the short term.

Vashetti

Banned
Sansa's escape was wonderfully dramatic though. She looked awesome and Dontos said something like "you don't know your own strength".

#QueenoftheNorth

I think he did care about location, or he'd have forced her in her room in the first episode. He specifically did it there for a reason.

...to show her how much family matters to him?

Also, I really hope Littlefinger doesn't become a parody of himself. He was laying on the creeper voice super thick this episode.

Violet_0

Banned
oh, and Daenerys' army doesn't look like it could take over a city of this size. It's really not very impressive. For starters, they have like nine small-sized catapults to lay siege to the wall

LakeEarth

The new actor they chose for Daario Naharis is so generic. Worst recast ever.

In this thread, I finally realize that the one character was supposed to be Daario. I just thought he was a new character. Could they have made him look more different? Other than age, they aren't even close to the same.

Qvoth

a pretty meh episode imo
where'd you guys hear about that jamie and cersei scene being consentual in the end? really hard to believe that's the case from what i saw

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Cersei's pussy so fresh it will corrupt a brother.

That whole scene just felt wrong. Jamie going from defending his brother and having recently done as much as he can to stop Brienne from getting raped/abused to doing that just seems so out of character. Evidently though Cersei brings out the very worst in him or the director really did massively mismanage that scene.

I really enjoyed the rest of the episode. The tyrion/pod scene was quite touching and I'm glad we're seeing more of why the Wildlings should really be feared.

Queen Dany continues to slay, but put me in the boat that thought she was firing weapons over the wall. The collars made sense though

I hope they give Sansa something to work with soon. The poor girl has just been a pawn for too long. It's high time she wakes up and starts to manipulate the situation for her own advantage. I refuse to believe someone would go through all the she has and still be so naive.

inm8num2

The director said it becomes consensual by the end. I don't see it.

I didn't see it either, and I'm not too keen on rewatching that scene. It was quite unnerving.

I get what they were going for - all of Jaime's frustrations from the last couple seasons coming out in one monstrous act. It just felt like a step back for whatever they were doing with Jaime last season.

Will be curious to see what consequence the scene with Cersei bears.

oh, and Daenerys' army doesn't look like it could take over a city of this size. It's really not very impressive. For starters, they have like nine small-sized catapults to lay siege to the wall

Hence trying to get the slaves to rise up against their oppressors. With all those monuments and buildings, it's fair to assume the slaves outnumber the free.

Vashetti

Banned
So did Olenna and Littlefinger conspire to off Joffrey then?

Olenna definitely took a jewel from Sansa's necklace.

And where has Littlefinger been all this time? Last we saw him he was headed to the Eyrie. Surely he wasn't hanging around King's Landing on his boat the whole time?

I guess he will take Sansa to the Eyrie now, as Lysa is her aunt. The Hound intends to take Arya there too.

Stark sister reunion?

UrbanRats

I didn't see it either, and I'm not too keen on rewatching that scene. It was quite unnerving.

I get what they were going for - all of Jaime's frustrations from the last couple seasons coming out in one monstrous act. It just felt like a step back for whatever they were doing with Jaime last season.

Will be curious to see what consequence the scene with Cersei bears.

Apparently they were going for something else, but it doesn't matter, what's on screen is what matters.
I always hate to have to read someone's intentions or explanations to understand a scene.

StuBurns

Banned
I still don't understand how being a Queen works there, even Margaery doesn't seem to know. Someone said the other day that consummating the marriage doesn't matter, but the show said it would, but even that doesn't seem clear.

Obviously the person who claims the throne is basically the King, but all of these ancillary positions should be standardized within the show's lore I'm sure.

I'm still laughing at this scene hahahahahahaha

arrow.jpg

"NO ONE BOILS A POTATO BETTER THAN YOUR MUM."

I'm a horrible person, but those are some famous last words for fucking sure.

KtSlime

Hence trying to get the slaves to rise up against their oppressors. With all those monuments and buildings, it's fair to assume the slaves outnumber the free.
Why do those correlate?

I don't doubt there are lots of slaves, but if buildings and monuments are the marks of lots of slaves, then where does that put New York?

Dennis

Banned

arrow.jpg

Ygritte is a horrible person.

Everyone is talking about Jaimie but this girl is a straight up murderer.

If the crew knows what they are doing, then Daenerys is fated to come to Westeros. You do not put this much screen time for a character who is killed before she gets the chance to interact with the main ones. Seriously. If she dies before landing on Westeros, I will consider this a failure in story-writing.

That being said, I believe Daenerys will indeed go to Westeros eventually. I think her goal is to save humanity by wiping out the White Walkers. I think this wil play out by having Daenerys storming Westeros with her big-ass army in order to seize the throne and disposing of everyone who stands in her way, such as the Lannisters. As she's doing that though, the White Walkers will march south, slaughtering everything in their path. Dany will make the selfless decision of sacrificing her entire army and her three dragons to save lives instead of securing her regime. In doing that, she will make herself vulnerable and someone will kill her, either the Lannisters or Stannis. But she will be killed for having done a selfless act of love. That's my prediction of Dany's fate.

arrow.jpg

The Wtf and abruptness made laugh....little.
Westeros is a terrible place. Dorn sounds ok
One thing I don't understand is how Oberyn is and his brother are princes?

Why do those correlate?

I don't doubt there are lots of slaves, but if buildings and monuments are the marks of lots of slaves, then where does that put New York?

Is this post real?

Slave labor was responsible for almost all great buildings of the ancient world. The advent of new technology is the reason mass city's and buildings are built without the need for a ridiculous amount of workers.

KtSlime

Is this post real?

Slave labor was responsible for almost all great buildings of the ancient world. The advent of new technology is the reason mass city's and buildings are built without the need for a ridiculous amount of workers.

If you are referring to the pyramids or ziggurats or Greek and Roman temples, you would be mistaken, they were mostly done by paid laborers, just like now.

http://news.discovery.com/history/ancient-egypt/pyramids-tombs-giza-egypt.htm

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Iron Bank loans money to those who can pay it back or to those who are opposed to people to whom the Iron Bank had already loaned money and are not paying it back. Either way the Iron Bank always looks to get its money back. That's one of the first things that we've learned about them.

If Stannis could take the throne with the promise to pay back the money to the Bank that the Iron Throne has borrowed over the years I would image he would have their support.

Davos' revelation about the Iron Bank reminded me of this scene from S3.

Tyrion says that Bronn is naive if he thinks Tywin will simply forget a debt. Bronn says he isn't used to borrowing money and he isn't familiar with the rules, so Tyrion explains that basically, you lend someone money, and after an agreed upon amount of time, they pay it back with interest. Bronn asks what happens if you don't pay the loan back, but Tyrion says you have to. Bronn pointedly asks again what happens if you don't pay the money back, to which Tyrion explains that no one will give you loans again. Regardless, Tyrion isn't worried about the debts to his father, so much as he's worried about the debts to foreign banks, particularly the Iron Bank of Braavos, the largest bank in the Free Cities. Tyrion warns Bronn that when debtors to the Iron Bank cannot repay their loans, the Iron Bank will first refuse to give out new loans, and ultimately support rebellions against them. Tyrion fears that if they can't repay the debt, the Iron Bank will eventually cut them off and start supporting Robb Stark or Stannis Baratheon.

Maybe just a coincidence, but the more you rewatch this show, the more you see the way it often hints towards later events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom