• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

The guy who has his tongue cut out sings a song about Robert bring killed by the bore and Cersei having him pussy whipped.

Ah, and he mentions the "murderius lion" in his bed. That could refer to a lot I guess but I don't think it's a stretch to say people have heard the rumors.

Curufinwe

Littlefinger's turning into Christian Bale Batman.

tumblr_mo47i1PmoA1su6s9xo1_500.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Are we all forgetting just who Littlefinger is?
He may have cared for Catelyn, but his own ambitions are paramount and he will abuse every situation to get the best of it, not caring for who he screws over in the process. Sansa will be nothing more of an opportunity to him

At this point Sansa is LF's only connection to Caitlyn so I have high hopes he won't abuse her or mistreat her (at least in some kind of perverse way). But I assume she factors into his ambitions in some way, so there's that.

Gross, Ygritte.
Huh? She's a wildling. The clue is in the name.

Vashetti

Banned
He may have cared for Catelyn, but his own ambitions are paramount and he will abuse every situation to get the best of it, not caring for who he screws over in the process. Sansa will be nothing more of an opportunity to him

I doubt he will physically hurt her himself though, which is an improvement from her situation with Joffrey.

I personally think his feelings for Cat will transfer to Sansa. Could make for some creepy (but interesting) scenes.

Tabris

Is it just me, or does this season seem to be showing more insight into the individual Westeros civilian's suffering?

Friendly farmer in the Riverlands? y'all getting robbed before raped and murdered.
Friendly farmer in the North? y'all getting eaten.

Maybe, but he's not going to hurt her. At best, she'll fall in love with him and live a happy life. At worst, she'll relunctantly marry him and live a comfortable life. She's never been in such a best position. Think about it. Her life, starting from the Starks' voyage to King's Landing, has been complete shit. Now she can sleep at night, without fear of pretty much anything. At least for a while. We'll see where the situation goes. But Littlefinger certainly has no intention, or interest, of tormenting her. It is in his best interest to make her happy so he can get the Northern people's trust and arms.

Cyan

Banned
Well, according to the director Alex Graves Jamie's rape of Cersei was supposed to be read as consensual in some way. Don't know what kind of crazy standards the creators have for consent, but mine isn't 'no no, don't, stop, stop'

Seriously? If that was supposed to be consensual, then god damn did they fuck it up.

Vashetti

Banned
Maybe, but he's not going to hurt her. At best, she'll fall in love with him and live a happy life. At worst, she'll relunctantly marry him and live a comfortable life. She's never been in such a best position. Think about it. Her life, starting from the Starks' voyage to King's Landing, has been complete shit. Now she can sleep at night, without fear of pretty much anything. At least for a while. We'll see where the situation goes. But Littlefinger certainly has no intention, or interest, of tormenting her. It is in his best interest to make her happy so he can get the Northern people's trust and arms.

Can she even marry LF?

She was legally (?) married to Tyrion in the Sept.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Can she even marry LF?

She was legally (?) married to Tyrion in the Sept.

Still never consummated, and Tyrion might not last much longer

But he was sent to marry Lysa Arryn so how he can marry Sansa I dont know

Demon Ice

Banned
I found an interview with Jaime's actor where he discusses the scene between him and Cersei. There are no spoilers in it, and at the end of the interview they very briefly compare the scene in the show to the scene in the book, but without any specific quotes.

Am I allowed to post it? I thought it was a good read on the psychology of the scene in the show.

I found an interview with Jaime's actor where he discusses the scene between him and Cersei. There are no spoilers in it, and at the end of the interview they very briefly compare the scene in the show to the scene in the book, but without any specific quotes.

Am I allowed to post it? I thought it was a good read on the psychology of the scene in the show.

No.

Quote the relevant part from the beginning and excise the book discussion if you want to post it.

Tabris

I think compared to the rest of the Starks, she had it pretty easy.

ASIS

Can I just say Dany was absolutely badass in this episode? I honestly don't get the hate for her, she's showing a lot of development in each scene.

Is it just me, or does this season seem to be showing more insight into the individual Westeros civilian's suffering?

Friendly farmer in the Riverlands? y'all getting robbed before raped and murdered.
Friendly farmer in the North? y'all getting eaten.

It's definitely showing the darker side of Westeros. I like it. It adds balance to just showing how royals and higher/middle classes lived.

One would assume that things might be friendlier and peaceful for the less wealthy, right? Wrong. The scene that drove that home was the one with Sam and the girl in the one town where he thinks she'll be safer.

Demon Ice

Banned
Quote the relevant part from the beginning and excise the book discussion if you want to post it.
Okay.

Jaime embraces Cersei and the two begin to kiss. Then, Cersei catches sight of his golden hand, and recoils.

“There’s a moment in the scene where the hand comes up and she has this face of disgust, and Jaime says, Why have the Gods made me love a hateful woman?” says Coster-Waldau. “He wants her, and wants everything to go back to the way it was. But there’s no way back.”

“To understand the psychology behind it, and why he goes as far as he does, was really difficult,” says Coster-Waldau. “To me it became, When does physical desire take over? It’s one of those things where he’s been holding it back for so long, and then out of anger he grabs her, and instinct takes over, and he lets loose. He says, I don’t care. He wants to not care. He has to connect to her, and he knows this is the most fucked up way for it to happen, but in that moment, he knows it’s all he can do. It’s an act of powerlessness.”

“It was tough to shoot, as well,” says Coster-Waldau.

"It took me awhile to wrap my head around it, because I think that, for some people, it’s just going to look like rape. The intention is that it’s not just that; it’s about two people who’ve had this connection for so many years, and much of it is physical, and much of it has had to be kept secret, and this is almost the last thing left now. It’s him trying to force her back and make him whole again because of his stupid hand.”

So is it rape?

“Yes, and no,” says Coster-Waldau. “There are moments where she gives in, and moments where she pushes him away. But it’s not pretty.”

He adds, “It’s going to be interesting what people think about it.”

"What's the vilest, most despicable thing that could happen? Yeah, let's do that!"

That was like two-thirds of this episode. It's swords and shit, so I still love my GoT--but it is getting a bit tiresome.

I think compared to the rest of the Starks, she had it pretty easy.

She's had it easier than the dead Starks, but worse than those still alive. Arya, Jon, Bran and Rickon were in better positions. At least subjectively. Sansa's psyche suffered tremendous damage; much more than her brothers and sisters. I do not envy her.

ASIS

She's had it easier than the dead Starks, but worse than those still alive. Arya, Jon, Bran and Rickon were in better positions. At least subjectively. Sansa's psyche suffered tremendous damage; much more than her brothers and sisters. I do not envy her.

She's had it harder than Bran, Jon, and Rickon. But Arya saw her father's death, she starved, she saw people being tortured and killed at her very eyes. She even saw Grey Wolf's head sewed into Robb Stark's head. There is no way Sansa's life is harder than Arya, and the only reason why it's not showing that much is because Arya is fighting back instead of bottling up her emotions inside.

Carbonox

Can I just say Dany was absolutely badass in this episode? I honestly don't get the hate for her, she's showing a lot of development in each scene.

Not much has been gwaning for her lately but whenever she has got scenes, they usually involve something fuck-awesome happening.

I can't help but feel excited by the ways she fucks over entire cities. Her trash talk > anyone else's trash talking and she has the dragons to back her up if need be.

I still maintain that scene in season 3 (was it?) where she reveals she understood everything that slave master said before ordering her dragons to lay siege and taking the unsullied was one of the best scenes of the entire show so far. Dany sells naivete very well before throwing curve balls which I also like. Though that could stem from either being genuinely part of the role or that the actress just isn't that good. I don't care cos it works either way.

Looking forward to seeing more from her.

Regarding Oberyn though and Tywin saying to him that they need to protect themselves from threats such as Dany, surely Oberyn would side with Dany when she inevitably comes over? The whole dealing with Tywin is clearly just a keep your friends close and your enemies closer type deal so I'd expect Dorne at the very least to be on Dany's side.

She's had it harder than Bran, Jon, and Rickon. But Arya saw her father's death, she starved, she saw people being tortured and killed at her very eyes. She even saw Grey Wolf's head sewed into Robb Stark's head. There is no way Sansa's life is harder than Arya, and the only reason why it's not showing that much is because Arya is fighting back instead of bottling up her emotions inside.

Arya is stronger than Sansa. Arya's life might be objectively harder, but not subjectively, and that's the crucial difference. Sansa's life was harder for her than Arya's life was for her.

spirity

Her? Dany is a man who hides his cock in his own arsehole.

Seriously though, Dany is fantastic. I'm glued to the tv every time she's on, but I have to admit, missed the dragons this week.

see5harp

Hell no. Her and Bran have been doing the same damn thing for like 2 seasons now. Harriet Tubman with a bunch of dudes, some penisless, in teh friendzone.

spirity

I still maintain that scene in season 3 (was it?) where she reveals she understood everything that slave master said before ordering her dragons to lay siege and taking the unsullied was one of the best scenes of the entire show so far. Dany sells naivete very well before throwing curve balls which I also like. Though that could stem from either being genuinely part of the role or that the actress just isn't that good. I don't care cos it works either way.

Dracarys!

Carbonox

Hell no. Her and Bran have been doing the same damn thing for like 2 seasons now. Harriet Tubman with a bunch of dudes, some penisless, in teh friendzone.

Bran needs to be buried with the rest of his boring ass Stark relatives. Him and his journey to Hogwarts with his shitty friends is the worst plot of the entire show so far.

Ceres

Banned

He'll use her to get what he wants but I wouldn't put it past him to hurt her to get that. He already sold her out to the Lannisters when he found out the plan with Loras since that went against his plans to take her on his boat. She could have already been off safe out of King's Landing by now.

Carbonox

Ok, but only if Sam and Gilly go first

I'm game for that. As nice as Sam is, he's horrendously dull and being nice doesn't get you anywhere for long. Gilly needs to piss off back to Skins (UK GAF pls) or back to the north. Then again she's been dumped in a brothel so hopefully we won't see much of her now.

To me, Sam and Bran's stories are the dullest. Sam should have stayed a secondary character, only seen from other people's POV; and Bran's story isn't going anywhere. I could've very much cared for it had it gotten more attention, but that's not the case. I really do not care about Sam though. Everytime he's on screen, I wish I could watch another character.

Dennis

Banned
Ok, but only if Sam and Gilly go first

Producers: "So we need to make a decision on those 10 min of footage for the next episode"

HBO Exec: "Hmmmm,
10 min Sam and Gilly indoors talking scene - $100
10 min Dany's dragons attacking city scene - $10,000,000"

Producers: "Message received!"

ASIS

The same thing? Dude,

Dany, starting season 3 had nothing but one ship. Once arriving in astapor she was conflicted internally about her potential future army. On one hand, she can get an army who obey her every order. On the other, she is basically approving of slavery by attaining this army. Dany herself was seen like a slave to her brother, she knows how it feels, and she knows that she would not be able to live with herself. She does what she does and she gets her FREE soldiers. She realizes what she can do, and her journey to westeros becomes even more important. Dany still has no money, no ships, no nothing except for 8000 soldiers. Once she arrives at the next city, and sees that it is an even bigger slave city than astapor.

When facing the Yunkish people, Dany was still apprehensive about warfare, so she sets out camp near the city and calls for one of the Yunkish people to warn them. Shit goes down and she manages to free the city. At this point she became a mother figure to the slaves.

Now, in season four, she is going in front of the fucking fate, and warns not one person, but the entire city face to face about the consequence of their choices. She's no longer afraid or apprehensive, she's no longer alone now that she has soldiers, tacticians, and everything else to build the correct army, she went from being a nobody to a figure that is well known to the people of essos. This is not even including the drama with her dragons or the development of her surrounding characters. To top it all off, this was all done in less that 50 minutes of screen time in an entire season. I honestly don't get how this isn't seen as enough.

EDIT: Holy shit that is a lot of text 0_0

see5harp

Of course there were pivotal moments. Freeing the slaves, getting the slave army, going to the next town to free more slaves, etc. She was also part of possibly the worst moment of the show when the biracial slaves lifted her up and chanted like it was the end of the Lion King.

Well, according to the director Alex Graves Jamie's rape of Cersei was supposed to be read as consensual in some way. Don't know what kind of crazy standards the creators have for consent, but mine isn't 'no no, don't, stop, stop'

The "no stop" was followed up by "this isn't right", simply because her son just died and was lying next to them. Not because she wasn't turned on.
I agree that it's kind of a grey area, as technically the definition is already fulfilled by her (initially) not wanting to have sex with her bf at that very moment/place.
But considering her character, she probably would react quite differently in the event of rape...

But it's good that the director commented on this, seems a lot of people here had a different impression than me and it changes the tone of scene obviously.

I forgot that Littlefinger was sent to marry Catalyn's sister. I guess she's going to die to make room for her niece !

edit: wasn't there a scene in season 3 or 2 in which Sansa said to Littlefinger that he was the only person apart from Shae who cared for her, or something similar ? Given how smart and manipulative Littlefinger is, I could very well see him succeeding at making Sansa fall in love with him.

She's the least charismatic main character at the moment.

That rallying at the end made my eyes roll. Her voice had zero power in that scene and made it feel a lot less impactful that it obviously was supposed to be.

And that applies to pretty much every one of her scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom