• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road

got_tv7cp78.png

Hope the viewership drops more and HBO will get the message the show is going nowhere.

If they plan to keep this slow pace just to wait for the author, then they better just skip an year instead of going in circles with pointless stuff like Boltons, Dorne and Danny playing house.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They aren't waiting for GRRM whatsoever. From what I hear, they've actually already passed him on some story points.

They aren't waiting for GRRM whatsoever. From what I hear, they've actually already passed him on some story points.

Uhh, not sure how I do this... but spoilers that happened in the show but not the books?

EDIT:

Whats the official mod word on handling topics that are covered in the show but not the books? Is it still considered book talk cause of the possible divergent nature of books vs show story lines?

Volimar

Whats the official mod word on handling topics that are covered in the show but not the books? Is it still considered book talk cause of the possible divergent nature of books vs show story lines?

You shouldn't discuss the books at all including how the show diverges from the books. For all intents and purposes, the books don't exist in this thread, not even in spoiler tags. If you want to talk about where the show outpaces the books you should use the book reader thread.

You shouldn't discuss the books at all including how the show diverges from the books. For all intents and purposes, the books don't exist in this thread, not even in spoiler tags. If you want to talk about where the show outpaces the books you should use the book reader thread.

I don't even read the books, just going off of word of mouth from friends.

But I'll just delete it to be safe.

got_tv7cp78.png

Hope the viewership drops more and HBO will get the message the show is going nowhere.

If they plan to keep this slow pace just to wait for the author, then they better just skip an year instead of going in circles with pointless stuff like Boltons, Dorne and Danny playing house.

Maybe it's reached its peak? It's bound to settle down while the people who are interested in the characters and story stay, while those who are just after shocks will fall off.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
A flayed man tells no tales.

I'm supposed to believe that Roose Bolton can hang men, and rape their wives underneath their hanging bodies, and no one in Starkville hears anything about it? When the Mountain is rumoured (on account of some farmer's words) to have been pillaging the Riverlands; Ned Stark holds Tywin Lannister personally responsible and demands he present himself in front of him in King's Landing. What about you Ned? You want me to believe that you have a bannerman whose sigil is an upside down man who's skin is flayed, and you never bothered to keep an eye on him? The Starks are either ridiculously naive as a family, or they play fast and loose with this whole honour thing.

I'm supposed to believe that Roose Bolton can hang men, and rape their wives underneath their hanging bodies, and no one in Starkville hears anything about it? When the Mountain is rumoured (on account of some farmer's words) to have been pillaging the Riverlands; Ned Stark holds Tywin Lannister personally responsible and demands he present himself in front of him in King's Landing. What about you Ned? You want me to believe that you have a bannerman whose sigil is an upside down man who's skin is flayed, and you never bothered to keep an eye on him? The Starks are either ridiculously naive as a family, or they play fast and loose with this whole honour thing.
Considering how they have all fared playing the Game of Thrones I'm going to go with that naive option. Just the fact that Rob Stark thought he could trust the guy is something that I can't understand. Roose also seems like a stealth person. Who says he didn't flay the witnesses to the flaying or flayed the first idiot that decided to tell Ned about it. That and the Lannister family is a much bigger name than the Bolton family. When anything related to the Lannister family happens everybody knows about it. Also considering that nobody knew how much Roose hated Rob until he plunged a knife into his heart I'm going to wager that Roose is a really really hard person to read. You really don't figure him out until it's way too late.

Apt101

I don't think families in this world care much about how someone gets things done just so long as they get results and are loyal. So the Starks were forgiving of the Bolton's methods. I watched the history segments on the blurays, and apparently the Boltons were loyal for like hundreds of years.

munchie64

Quite a narrative you've cooked up there. Does this count HBO Go/Now?
What about the record breaking piracy numbers?
If you think the show is slow, stop watching now and marathon it when the season is over.

neoism

got_tv7cp78.png

haha holy shit so thats way this season has been a fucking zzzZZZzzzzZzzz i mean damn... is half over and nothings happened.... :/ they should just wait longer and make season 6 15 eps.. and the last season 8 eps or something...

neoism

That tension in the room with Sansa/Ramsey/Reek...

I do really hope Theon at some time gets to slowly kill Ramsey

yeah Ramsey Jr is soo fucking annoying... I really didnt need to see his ass... that girl was lovely though...
Im getting sick of Arya not getting any screen time though damn I wanta see her become a badass.. or whatever...
Thought I'd never say this but Daenerys has become a terriblely boring character not sure why shes just a bad ruler... She was my favorite in the first 3 seasons... but yeah this pacing this season is just terribad... something needs to happen.

pringles

got_tv7cp78.png

Am I reading that wrong or is there nothing wrong with those ratings? Slight downward trend but also opened higher than ever.

Anyway, season's been good imo. Slow pace doesn't bother me when so much of it still has been good and a lot of storylines are being established and moving towards bigger things. Season 4 was wild, it'll be hard for this show to ever top it. But compared to seasons 1-3 I don't find this much slower than usual. Things always get more intense in the 2nd half of the seasons and that's what will probably happen in this one too.
Boltons are pretty awesome and Dorne has been a minor storyline and a much needed one after Oberyn's fate, only Dany's stuff has so far felt a bit pointless. But there could be a payoff to all the sons of harpy stuff.

mujun

Maybe Ned wasn't omniscient.

Maybe Roose covers his indiscretions up better.

Maybe Ned has better sources in certain places.

Etc.

Kickz

yeah Ramsey Jr is soo fucking annoying... I really didnt need to see his ass... that girl was lovely though...
Im getting sick of Arya not getting any screen time though damn I wanta see her become a badass.. or whatever...
Thought I'd never say this but Daenerys has become a terriblely boring character not sure why shes just a bad ruler... She was my favorite in the first 3 seasons... but yeah this pacing this season is just terribad... something needs to happen.

Second on Dany, she is the WORST part of the show. I wish they wrote her boring ass self-righteous trash out of the season like they did Brunn.

Arya doesn't do much for me either, to hard to take serious a child hitman with a cute little butter knife sword.

Stannis will probably get that L soon.. dude marched to winterfell w/o waitinf for Jon Snows crew. Whats worse is that he brought his family with him. Dude is too certain he will win just like the other Barratheons who are now dead.

The Mountain was attacking another Lord's land and deliberately provoking a response. Roose was doing it on his own land and probably able to keep it quiet. The two are not comparable.

pringles

I'm not exactly sure about the timeline but wouldn't the whole hanging+rape thing possibly be right around the time Ned Stark was out to war with Robert?
Besides, Roose has an evil side but he's not stupid and he's not as bad as Ramsey. For example he didn't flay people. Doesn't seem hard to believe he could keep things quiet and make it seem like he had good reason to hang someone for example.

Less viewers than the same episode last season but above the average throughout the series.

I really doubt they're worried, not to mention thinking that the show is going nowhere, lol. Let's not be ridiculous, yes it hasn't been the best season but it's still pretty great.

got_tv7cp78.png

The drop happened because of Mother's Day. Episode 6 of the last season coincided with the day too, and it got 160k less viewers than this one did.

MikeyB

I swear, the Daenerys story so far could have been accomplished in a quarter of the time. And the hope of Tyrion getting there soon to pull her head out of her ass just disappeared. Arya and Stannis are the only things keeping me watching now.

EktorOni

A couple of points:

1. I think Dany's stuff last season was egregious compared to this one, so I don't know what y'all talking about. The character's inner dilemma seems better defined, as well as the general external conflict and repercussions of both. Pity about Barristan, though.

2. The stuff in the North is fantastic. Who could complain about it being "slow and going in circles" when it looks to be FINALLY building up to some fuck-awesome conflict between more than two forces? A person that watches only for the shockers, that's who.

3. Of all the S5 storylines, the one that *really* needs some form of validation is the one taking place in Dorne. I can understand the "Revenge!" cries from Ellaria (somewhat), yet Oberyn's daughters seem more like an afterthought, as well as Jaime & Bronn's rescue mission. Let's see how all this climaxes out and if it brings those two characters (Jaime, in particular) full circle.

4. I also haven't been too fond of Arya's stuff, but again... Looks to begin paying off in the near future.

5. Did I mention I love the fact that a Northern resistance + Stannis seems to be rising to take care of those nasty (but delicious!) Boltons? I hope this leads to some real fucking great scenes and developments.

Loakum

Banned
That tension in the room with Sansa/Ramsey/Reek...

I do really hope Theon at some time gets to slowly kill Ramsey

Oh gawd I hope not! Ramsey Bolton is one of the very few really interesting so called "bad guys" left (besides Queen Cersei).

Curufinwe

got_tv7cp78.png

The ratings are great, they aren't waiting for anyone, and none of those storyline are pointless.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I find it amusing that Ned Stark somehow found out that Jorah had sold a bunch of poachers into slavery, but had no inkling whatsoever that Roose Bolton was raping, torturing, etc, in his lands. Yeah ok there honourable Ned.

Ned was the one that banned flaying (?) In the north, so not sure why you would say that.

Enco

All I want is for Ramsey (and Walder/Roose) to die a painful death.

Not too bothered about anything else on the show. I don't hate any character too much. Most of the ones I disliked have already been dealt with.

got_tv7cp78.png

I don't understand why you would assume any of this is pointless. We don't really know where the story will go so it seems pretty meaningful to me...kind of an odd criticism. Scenes with Dany are definitely not pointless considering how important a character she has been painted to be since the beginning of the series. Scenes related to the Boltons seem pretty important considering Stannis is planning on marching to Winterfell, and I'm not even talking about Sansa, and the potential storyline there. I don't really know where they are going with the Dorne stuff, but it seems fairly important considering those girls want to start a war.

*shrugs* The season has definitely been slower than others, but I wouldn't say it's been pointless whatsoever.

Camwi

yeah Ramsey Jr is soo fucking annoying... I really didnt need to see his ass... that girl was lovely though...Im getting sick of Arya not getting any screen time though damn I wanta see her become a badass.. or whatever...

That girl needed to eat a goddamn sandwich. Yeesh.

I don't think families in this world care much about how someone gets things done just so long as they get results and are loyal. So the Starks were forgiving of the Bolton's methods. I watched the history segments on the blurays, and apparently the Boltons were loyal for like hundreds of years.

And a tradition is always a tradition after all

Lol

Revolver

Not too bothered about anything else on the show. I don't hate any character too much. Most of the ones I disliked have already been dealt with.

Ramsey should die just for making Theon of all people a sympathetic character. Just the sound of Ramsey's voice makes my skin crawl. As much as I hate Theon, enough's enough. Just put the poor bastard out of his misery. I don't really hate any of the other characters besides the sadistic Boltons that much.

Subitai

Stannis will probably get that L soon.. dude marched to winterfell w/o waitinf for Jon Snows crew. Whats worse is that he brought his family with him. Dude is too certain he will win just like the other Barratheons who are now dead.
He already lost big. Roose is the one who hasn't lost yet.

She knows nothing. Jon Snow knows nothing. Perfect match! Let them rule.

Hmm? Another thing they have in common?

kitemilia-1429801330.gif

Show speculation courtesy of MTV in case you missed it

wiibomb

I don't understand why you would assume any of this is pointless. We don't really know where the story will go so it seems pretty meaningful to me...kind of an odd criticism. Scenes with Dany are definitely not pointless considering how important a character she has been painted to be since the beginning of the series. Scenes related to the Boltons seem pretty important considering Stannis is planning on marching to Winterfell, and I'm not even talking about Sansa, and the potential storyline there. I don't really know where they are going with the Dorne stuff, but it seems fairly important considering those girls want to start a war.

*shrugs* The season has definitely been slower than others, but I wouldn't say it's been pointless whatsoever.

this... and I feel people want non-stop action and plot twist no matter the costs, and I love that the writers just don't listen to them, because that would make a lot of nonsense action with consequences that would eventually get out of hands..

I like this season.. its not season 4, but I like how much plotting is building..

sometimes I feel this is one of those seasons (like 2) where there is a great build and plotting to eventually get to something greater..

remember that a lot of key characters are dead now and they need to make us care for others, I believe that's why its kinda slower this season

Nameless

Fuck Reek. I was legitimately disappointed Ramsay didn't break his finger(s), even though adding to the mental beat down by 'forgiving' him was pretty cool.

Alphie Allen has been killing it since S2, though.

Venture

Not even Walder Frey? I really want to see him get it. Hopefully by Arya or another Stark.

He already lost big. Roose is the one who hasn't lost yet.

Hmm? Another thing they have in common?

Show speculation courtesy of MTV in case you missed it
Umm, is that gif super spoilery or was she just on that set for a visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom