• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will prove to be the turning point in turning Reek back into Theon. I see him setting the story straight with Sansa about her brothers, killing Ramsay, and helping her escape Winterfell.

My question is whether Sansa will ever have a moment of happiness again. She's just been ushered from one shitty situation to another.

I hope sansa being raped isn't some sort of turning point for theon, even this show hasn't sunk to that level of shitty writing yet.

Future

I think most people are mad because it feels like every Sansa scene in the show so far, but they just dyed Joffrey's hair black. It feels like the writers forgot how much shit Sansa went through with Joffrey and needed to remind the audience of how much of a helpless victim she is before they can start making her an active participant. And they want to remind us of how much of a sadistic asshole Ramsay is even though we had that slog of torturing Theon. Yes, Sansa's fairy tale world of kind princes and happy endings don't exist in Westeros. We're 5 seasons in, do we really need another wake up call?

I wouldn't be mad if this was in the book, but apparently it wasn't, so it comes across as a redundant establishment of who these characters are and why we should root for Sansa and boo the screen when Ramsay shows up. It seems like the writers not trusting the audience's attention span that they need someone to kill a puppy each episode to remind us that they are evil.

Well she escaped this fate with Joffrey and Tyrion (who was obviously good so no real danger). So this scene probably had viewers on the edge of their seats on whether she would escape it again. Much moreso than some random woman

Really, as many have said, this sets up a redemption arc for the greyjoy. If this happened behind closed doors, then it would just be for the viewer seeing Ramsey's evilness. But reek being there had to have some significance

Vashetti

Banned
I think this season is just one big filler, they're probably waiting for the 6th book to come out so they keep things very slow.
Too bad, I was really looking forward for this season. 6 episodes had gone by and it feels like nothing happend.

Been said many times, they're not waiting for George and they want to wrap this up in 7 seasons. They've been told exactly how it ends by George and are working toward that.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I like how you chastise him for name calling and yet proceed to be a passive aggressive douche
I wasn't being passive aggressive. I was being aggressive. He called me an idiot an I made fun of him for being so wound up that some people didn't like a scene in GoT. If that makes me a douche, that's fine, but I dunno what your end game is in aiding him and then calling me a name while mocking my percieved transgression. Are you trying to form an infinite chain of douches or something?

Can the dude just not call me an idiot? Or at the very least can I not be passive aggressive to someone who does so?

I'm not mad about anything here. He used a gun and I used a tazer. Just talking about GoT.

THRILLH0

Banned
Whoever thought the rape scene was explicit is an idiot - it was not directly shown.

Whoever thought that Sansa had agency left alone with the Boltons and was going to magically avoid consummating with Ramsey is an idiot. Sansa herself had accepted this as soon as Littlefinger handed her over.

Whoever thought that Ramsey was not going to be cruel to her and Theon is an idiot.

Take it down a notch.

I wasn't being passive aggressive. I was being aggressive. He called me an idiot an I made fun of him for being so wound up that some people didn't like a scene in GoT. If that makes me a douche, that's fine, but I dunno what your end game is in aiding him and then calling me a name while mocking my percieved transgression. Are you trying to form an infinite chain of douches or something?

Can the dude just not call me an idiot? Or at the very least can I not be passive aggressive to someone who does so?

I'm not mad about anything here. He used a gun and I used a tazer. Just talking about GoT.

no end game. your comment just annoyed me so I commented on it. Happy posting, stranger.

borborygmus

I'm mad, of course, but I have no clue why people have so many issues with a show that shows a cruel world since season 1.

It was more realistically cruel. Now it's cruel in a repetitive, uninteresting, and one-dimensional way.

The biggest offense has been the fight scene in Dorne, like ugh.. there hasn't been any good fight this season.

What I want to know is where the fuck has the budget gone this season? Why is Dorne in its entirety constrained to one tiny courtyard?

I feel like Season 4 had a lot more elaborate set pieces and scenes.

I think the Dorne stuff looks cheap because they had strict shooting rules there. Apparently it's very rare to be allowed to shoot there. Also I hope Bronn getting slashed doesn't mean he's gonna get poisoned to death.

All things Dorne have been inexcusably bad this season. I love that the Dorne subplot plays out in a tiny courtyard, and that all the involved parties on each side have the same ridiculous plan to commit a crime in plain sight of the prince, at the same time.

Overall this is the worst season by far for me, at least so far. The writing has devolved so hard. The layers of contrivance are all adding up to create a weak show.

Well she escaped this fate with Joffrey and Tyrion (who was obviously good so no real danger). So this scene probably had viewers on the edge of their seats on whether she would escape it again. Much moreso than some random woman

Really, as many have said, this sets up a redemption arc for the greyjoy. If this happened behind closed doors, then it would just be for the viewer seeing Ramsey's evilness. But reek being there had to have some significance
I really hope they didn't put this scene in there for shock value. That'd be even worse and completely gratuitous.

And Theon knows first hand what an evil bastard Ramsay is. I'm sure in his many months of servitude as Ramsay's eunuch, he's seen many women get raped, tortured, and hunted by him. That was like peak redemption moment for Theon to shove a knife through Ramsay's back. Theon's redemptive act is going to feel pretty fucking weak after that unless Ramsay tries murdering Sansa, which I find to be unlikely given her political importance.

All things Dorne have been inexcusably bad this season. I love that the Dorne subplot plays out in a tiny courtyard, and that all the involved parties on each side have the same ridiculous plan to commit a crime in plain sight of the prince, at the same time.

Overall this is the worst season by far for me, at least so far. The writing has devolved so hard. The layers of contrivance are all adding up to create a weak show.

Yeah, I haven't read the books, but surely Dorne is more than just the water gardens? Even the stuff they show outside it just looks like barren grass and sand. Hardly looks like a kingdom. Some CG buildings in the background would help.

Future

I really hope they didn't put this scene in there for shock value. That'd be even worse and completely gratuitous.

And Theon knows first hand what an evil bastard Ramsay is. I'm sure in his many months of servitude as Ramsay's eunuch, he's seen many women get raped, tortured, and hunted by him. That was like peak redemption moment for Theon to shove a knife through Ramsay's back. Theon's redemptive act is going to feel pretty fucking weak after that unless Ramsay tries murdering Sansa, which I find to be unlikely given her political importance.

It's not just shock value. It's tension. The scene simply wouldn't have been as tense with anyone else due to the information the viewer has about Sansa. Ramsay already did something like this with the girl previous, who took it but didn't seem to want to. Tension like that makes the moment memorable

Reek was previously shown as so broken that he no longer cares for himself. His inability to keep composure during the Sansa scene might have been a sign that he can't take it anymore. Although knowing this show, it admittedly may have been only a method to make the moment more horrifying without showing it directly

WHAT THE FUCK.

Why are the infamous sand snakes so fucking awful, can't even kill a one handed Jaime Lannister. Biggest disappointment in the show so far. Otherwise, this episode was great.

And GoT has some really good fighting scenes and then some really mediocre fighting scenes, they lack consistency.

Glad to see some more pirates, I liked those. No Dany was good for this time. Tommen is a fucking moron, he just needs to say a word to the kingsguard and everything would be fine.

Cersei get's the throne again in my most hated character again, congratulations.

And glad to see Olenna back, such a great character and actor.

It's not just shock value. It's tension. The scene simply wouldn't have been as tense with anyone else due to the information the viewer has about Sansa. Ramsay already did something like this with the girl previous, who took it but didn't seem to want to. Tension like that makes the moment memorable

Again, dye Joffrey's hair black and you'd get the same results. Only difference being that Ramsay went through with it, which is where the shock value comes in. Being based on what's supposedly a very boring book in comparison, it seems like writers adding in shit cause they need highs to accompany all the slow set up.

Preview reminded you that Ramsey said he'd "Never hurt her." Sigh and here I thought there's a character would could survive without poorly done shock value.

Loakum

Banned
CRnQl9ul.jpg

Nibel

It was more realistically cruel. Now it's cruel in a repetitive, uninteresting, and one-dimensional way.

Know what? The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with you. I now understand where people are coming from.. I like the cruel aspects of the show but yeah, this felt like cruel for cruelty's sake. There needs a bit more balance between good, redeeming stuff and shit like that.

zugzug

the only good thing about this episode and season is that Silicon Valley comes on afterwards.

Do these people making this show realize they only have what 10 episodes. Man talk about boring and bad use of new actors/characters they bring onto the show.

Its such a shame this show is so popular go back to season 1 where we had actual developments.

Future

Know what? The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree with you. I now understand where people are coming from.. I like the cruel aspects of the show but yeah, this felt like cruel for cruelty's sake. There needs a bit more balance between good, redeeming stuff and shit like that.

This I agree with. Only Jon Snow and aria seem to be forces for good, and both of them are stuck doing basic shit with minimal impact on major story events. Tyrion is captured so he's not doing shit either. So the viewer just gets to see the worst of the game of thrones world episode after episode and hardly anyone to root for. It was impossible to root for Sansa because she was in an impossible situation

borborygmus

Balance is a good way to put it. It feels almost like a parody sometimes because of the plot compromises and contrivances that are made in order for some of the cruel things to happen. With better writing, they could be justified more convincingly, but the show's gotten very sloppy about setting up these cruel events in a realistic way.

They're wearing masks, then why not use good stuntwomen for this fight. Still annoys me.
Bronn is king as usual, hope he continues being a king and doesn't end up dead in the next episode.

It would've been a huge shocker if the pirate just slit Tyrions throat.

stephen08

Again, dye Joffrey's hair black and you'd get the same results. Only difference being that Ramsay went through with it, which is where the shock value comes in. Being based on what's supposedly a very boring book in comparison, it seems like writers adding in shit cause they need highs to accompany all the slow set up.

I don't think it is necessarily for the shock value. Game of Thrones in general isn't really about the cheap shock value but more the obvious conclusion you dread but desperately hope against all the odds that it will turn out better. For example:

Ned gets executed - why wouldn't he? He is arrested as a traitor and confesses his crimes when a boy with a mean streak has the final say.

Robb is betrayed. He is in the home of someone who we were told from the very beginning not to trust who Robb insulted by betraying his word. This is alongside Roose Bolton who we know let Jaime go so he obviously doesn't have Robb's best interest in mind.

Oberyn loses the duel against the Mountain. Again, you want him to win so badly but the show makes a point of Bronn saying how dangerous he is and how one false step could be the end.

These are arguably the most shocking moments on the show and when you detach yourself emotionally from the character the conclusion is inevitable. With Sansa's rape it is similar. We know she has agreed to marry this guy. We know what he is like. We know that means the marriage will be consummated. She knows that too. It doesn't make it any easier watching the scene though. What it definitely isn't though, is something being thrown in for shock value. It was the inevitable, miserable conclusion once she agreed to marry him.

Skux

These are arguably the most shocking moments on the show and when you detach yourself emotionally from the character the conclusion is inevitable. With Sansa's rape it is similar. We know she has agreed to marry this guy. We know what he is like. We know that means the marriage will be consummated. She knows that too. It doesn't make it any easier watching the scene though. What it definitely isn't though, is something being thrown in for shock value. It was the inevitable, miserable conclusion once she agreed to marry him.

Agreed. It wasn't out of place. We know exactly what's coming and that makes it harder to stomach. It's supposed to be difficult to watch.

Just like with Ned's execution, you know it's coming, you dread it, you hope that something will come out of nowhere and save him... but nothing does and it's awful. There's no eleventh-hour miracle. This isn't a bloodless, uncontroversial Hollywood film. This is Westeros and bad shit happens to good people.

In other news, Lady motherfucking Olenna. She could probably talk the seven gods down from the heavens. Hot damn.

And yeah, those sand snakes look incompetent. Although to be honest they haven't been set up as great fighters from the two minutes of screen time they've had all season. Maybe they're supposed to be kind of shitty at fighting? And more fuelled by passion and revenge rather than trust in their abilities.

cyba89

WHAT THE FUCK.

Why are the infamous sand snakes so fucking awful, can't even kill a one handed Jaime Lannister. Biggest disappointment in the show so far. Otherwise, this episode was great.

Yes, it gets a bit annoying, when they build up characters as best fighters ever and when it comes to an actual fight they seem kinda lame. Like it already happened with Ser Barristan and Grey Worm two episodes ago.

Dryk

Just like with Ned's execution, you know it's coming, you dread it, you hope that something will come out of nowhere and save him... but nothing does and it's awful. There's no eleventh-hour miracle. This isn't a bloodless, uncontroversial Hollywood film. This is Westeros and bad shit happens to good people.
To be fair though people having been coming out of nowhere and saving Sansa from this for four and a half seasons

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Episode 6 was a bit better compared to the others, but that's not saying much, as this season is clearly the slowest and weakest of the bunch.

I so wanted to see what happens to Cersei and Olenna next. Man, and Tomnen (did I spell that right?) is a putz...can't even defend her wife!

Kinda sad we didn't see Snow and what happened with his quest, though. Also, Ramses might be the new Joffrey, no? We all fucking hate him and they both are sadistic assholes with no redeeming factor whatsoever. I thought Sansa had a knife or something under her blouse, and that's one of the reasons why she was taking so long to get undressed. Either that, or Theon or Baelish would come in time to save her. Damn! Out of all the people, shitty Ramses was the one to deflower her!

Also, Baelish's end game (or mid game) is a bit clearer now. He plans to take out the Boltons and claim The North with the crown's blessing. Shrewd move! I don't know how he'll save Sansa, though. Of course, it seems likely he'll betray Cersei and with him knowing the Lannisters are weak, they'll be out of The Iron Throne by the time he rules The North, no?

I really, really hope episode 8-10 delivers. We get all these building stories and no pay off yet. That needs to fucking change.

Cersei my dear, you don't fuck with Lady Olenna. She warned you, but you haven't listened. You done fucked it up.

My prediction is, Cersei will die hoding her beloved... - a cup of wine.

Loakum

Banned
Cersei my dear, you don't fuck with Lady Olenna. She warned you, but you haven't listened. You done fucked up.

I kind of want to see King Tommen die. His pathetic weakness is painful to watch!

Dryk

Cersei my dear, you don't fuck with Lady Olenna. She warned you, but you haven't listened. You done fucked it up.

Cersei's been in over her head for years now and so far what she's gotten for it is:

- A dead son
- A dead father
- An estranged daughter

But watching those losses just entrench her position as being waaaay out of her depth is going to make it all the sweeter when she eventually gets hers.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I kind of want to see King Tommen die. His pathetic weakness is painful to watch!

Yeah. Might be the first time I don't care if a "good" character is killed off. Seriously, you didn't stand up to the girl who popped your cherry (and who's waaaaay over your league)?

Man, there sure is a lot more talk going on for this episode.

I wonder where everyone was between episode 1-5 XD

Its been a pretty bland season.

What has happened so far this entire season?

Jamie and Bronn go to Dorne, for no reason
Brienne and Pod follow Sansa
Sansa goes to Winterfell
Arya sweeps floors and washes dead people
Tommen gets laid and goes weak in the knees, Cersei continues being annoying and arms a religious fanatics group
Very shortly into Jon Snows time as Commander of the Knights Watch, he decides to leave to chase down the Wildlings ( still hasnt even left yet )
No Bran
Dany loses control of Dragons and City and Barristan dies the dumbest death on this show so far
Tyrion rides in a carriage ... and then rides on a boat ... and now will ride with a slave group to a cock merchant ( really? )

This season has been pretty ..... yeah it hasn't been good, from a story perspective.

I think people are being too harsh on Tommen. I understand that his choices of action (or lack of) are frustrating, but he is still little more than a boy, and he hasn't fully adjusted into his position yet. I imagine it's going to take a little time, and a few more bad decisions, until he starts taking control like a real king should. I think he's going to come out of his shell and start laying the smackdown more as the season/show progresses.

And this ep's fight scene was terrible. Felt cheap and unsatisfying.

Loakum

Banned
I think people are being too harsh on Tommen. I understand that his choices of action (or lack of) are frustrating, but he is still little more than a boy, and he hasn't fully adjusted into his position yet. I imagine it's going to take a little time, and a few more bad decisions, until he starts taking control like a real king should. I think he's going to come out of his shell and start laying the smackdown more as the season/show progresses.

Jon Snow and Rob Stark were boys. Hell, Joffery was just a boy too. Tommen is just weak. He's so weak, I'm surprised Sir Pounce haven't killed him in his sleep.

Vashetti

Banned

His Kingsguard keep stepping forward and looking for his approval to cut down the fanatics, and - nothing.

Say what you will about Joffrey, he would never have let this happen.

rhino4evr

I thought the whole purpose of Sansa agreeing to go back to winter fell was to "get revenge" on the boltons. So I was expecting her to whip out a knife from her long coat and stab Ramsey in the neck. Instead she continues to be the coward victim she's been since the show started. Was really hoping we would see her character evolve, but I guess that's not happening ...at least not yet. Maybe this will FINALLY be the turning point.

Kule

The fight scene in the gardens was something out of xena warrior princess. Not sure how things got this bad when there have been great small scale fights like arya and the hound at the inn and craster's keep raid with Jon snow.

It's really starting to feel like the show is losing the part of it that felt realistic and made you genuinely care for characters. Now I'm just watching purely out of habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom