• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBart

What a horrible actress...
CFSSnKTW8AA0FEP.png:large

borborygmus

The sand snakes really don't feel like actual characters who eat and sleep, and have some kind of work to do during the day. No one who isn't a guard or mercenary needs to be playing with weapons all day.

Oberyn told Tyrion "in Dorne, we don't kill little girls" - but his lover and daughters are fine with doing just that. Isn't this disrespecting Oberyn's wishes?

This is the kind of thing that used to be addressed in past seasons.

DrBo42

I'm glad people are addressing how terrible that fight scene was, thought it was just me. Huge nose dive in quality from the previous fights. New choreographer or terrible director for this episode? Both? No idea.

The whole Jamie / Bronn trip to Dorne is the dumbest story this show has ever done so far.

It makes no sense, it was handled poorly, they want me to believe Jamie and Bronn can boat all the way to Dorne from KL in the amount of time it takes people ALREADY THERE to get to the same person? You can only stretch believability so far before it becomes comical and just dumb. Jamie is such a worthless character now without his hand. Like I said before, him losing his hand just to build some character was a horrible story decision.

Then they set up these Sand Snakes, whoever they are, as serious warriors that just happen to be wearing the dumbest costumes this show has put together and then they put together an end fight scene, that will most likely get a very well liked character killed, ( would they really do that twice in the same season? ) that is horribly choreographed and doesn't at all feel like Bronn fighting against someone with a high level of skill.

What is the show doing with one of the last remaining acting assets? Whisking him away in a carriage to complain the whole time, just to get grabbed by Jorah and whisked away to the exact same place ... just to get grabbed by slavers to be taken to ... hey the exact same place. But along the way Jorah gets to turn into a stone-man and likely die. Seriously, how many warriors are going to be killed off on this show without any real payoff? How many good characters overall will die on this show before they look down and go ... oh shit ... who is left?

They've killed Tywin, Robert, Ned, Jamie( the warrior ), The Hound, Syrio, Barristan, Oberyn, Khal Drogo, Robb Stark, etc. This show just doesn't like fighters I'm learning.

DrBo42

They've killed Tywin, Robert, Ned, Jamie( the warrior ), The Hound, Syrio, Barristan, Oberyn, Khal Drogo, Robb Stark, etc. This show just doesn't like fighters I'm learning.

I actually like that. Fighters tend to get dead, it's the nature of their business. Haha.

Herne

The Sand Snakes were awful. Just bloody awful. So much for their apparent deadliness. I wonder if the disconnect between the quality of fight choreography is due to location shooting, where they can't just be constantly ferrying people around on a dizzying schedule - that would give them no time to properly prepare. That doesn't mean they have to hire people who are clearly not as competent as the others. And for fuck sake, as someone previously pointed out, they were wearing masks. Couldn't they have gotten stunt women who know what they're doing to perform the fight?

Hugely disappointed about that. Their acting wasn't great either, though it's true that they weren't given much to work with. The timing was all shit, too. They want us to believe that Ellaria and the Sand Snakes waited throughout all those episodes only to now try to take Myrcella just as Bronn and Jamie conveniently attack? Godammit, everything about their appearance and up until this scene has been shit. Ugh, I still have a sour taste in my mouth.

As for the ending... damn. I don't even like Sansa and I was still screaming, "Kill him, Theon!". But, nothing. I'm not sure how giving Sansa away to the Boltons benefits Petyr in any way, unless it was as a precaution in case Roose prevails over Stannis and Cersei both.

Thank fuck for the Queen of Thorns. Olenna is going to do some damage.

borborygmus

My friend had this to say about this season: "I guess the entire budget went on Emilia Clarke's salary," as she's the highest paid actress in the world right now. (Warning: Could be spoilers in the comments or something, I didn't scroll down past the first paragraph).

That's just not right.

Vashetti

Banned
The whole Jamie / Bronn trip to Dorne is the dumbest story this show has ever done so far.

It makes no sense, it was handled poorly, they want me to believe Jamie and Bronn can boat all the way to Dorne from KL in the amount of time it takes people ALREADY THERE to get to the same person? You can only stretch believability so far before it becomes comical and just dumb. Jamie is such a worthless character now without his hand. Like I said before, him losing his hand just to build some character was a horrible story decision.

Then they set up these Sand Snakes, whoever they are, as serious warriors that just happen to be wearing the dumbest costumes this show has put together and then they put together an end fight scene, that will most likely get a very well liked character killed, ( would they really do that twice in the same season? ) that is horribly choreographed and doesn't at all feel like Bronn fighting against someone with a high level of skill.

What is the show doing with one of the last remaining acting assets? Whisking him away in a carriage to complain the whole time, just to get grabbed by Jorah and whisked away to the exact same place ... just to get grabbed by slavers to be taken to ... hey the exact same place. But along the way Jorah gets to turn into a stone-man and likely die. Seriously, how many warriors are going to be killed off on this show without any real payoff? How many good characters overall will die on this show before they look down and go ... oh shit ... who is left?

You do know they're adapting books, right? I know book talk is frowned upon, but so I hear, they've mostly killed off people at the same point they die in the equivalent book.

They didn't just say "oh we'll kill off Ned here for some shock value", they're adapting George's story. If you don't like characters dying, then you're watching the wrong series.

My friend had this to say about this season: "I guess the entire budget went on Emilia Clarke's salary," as she's the highest paid actress in the world right now. (Warning: Could be spoilers in the comments or something, I didn't scroll down past the first paragraph).

That's just not right.

UPDATE 18/05/2015 : This story seems to be false.

I actually like that. Fighters tend to get dead, it's the nature of their business. Haha.

lol true, but I mean its just bad television. You can only kill off so many characters before ... you run out of characters.

And the people they have killed off, they haven't had any good replacements for them. The sheer volume of " shock moment " deaths in this show has created a situation where the story is now suffering because of all those deaths.

You do know they're adapting books, right? I know book talk is frowned upon, but so I hear, they've mostly killed off people at the same point they die in the equivalent book.

They didn't just say "oh we'll kill off Ned here for some shock value", they're adapting George's story. If you don't like characters dying, then you're watching the wrong series.

Of course I know that. And the same goes for Martin and the book series. The moral of his story is pretty transparent at this point. Anyone is vulnerable, bad people win often, good things happen to bad people, people in general are evil, fear the living, etc. etc.

I'm not really talking about all that. I'm talking about the ACTUAL STORY, which at this point is not good. Not helped by the fact that almost all the interesting characters with fine actors portraying the roles are dead and gone.

Siegcram

Yes, how surprising that the characters that engage in combat all the time, die.

As for this ep, Littlefinger shutting down Cersei was pretty much the only worthwhile scene. And the Oberyn kids for their collective incompetence. Rest was treading water hard.

What a dark ep. Reek needs to tell Sansa her brothers are alive, and Sansa needs to go and light a damn candle in the tower.

The Sand Snake scene has some serious lol worthy gif potential too.

Vashetti

Banned
What a dark ep. Reek needs to tell Sansa her brothers are alive, and Sansa needs to go and light a damn candle in the tower.

The Sand Snake scene has some serious lol worthy gif potential too.

I watched the ep with my mum and she said "light a candle!" and I grimly had to remind her that the candle had to be lit in the tower where Bran was pushed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The sandsnakes bit reminded me of theon's sister arriving to save him in season 3 (?) but running away after seeing some guard dogs :p

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm glad people are addressing how terrible that fight scene was, thought it was just me. Huge nose dive in quality from the previous fights. New choreographer or terrible director for this episode? Both? No idea.
Yeah the fight scenes have been terrible this season. They feel so stilted and choreographed, whereas in previous seasons they felt a lot more raw and realistic.

rhino4evr

I didn't think the sand snakes were out to kill the princess. They knew Jaime was coming, and that's why they attacked. They want to keep her alive as a bargining chip. Or do j have this wrong?

cyba89

lol true, but I mean its just bad television. You can only kill off so many characters before ... you run out of characters.

And the people they have killed off, they haven't had any good replacements for them. The sheer volume of " shock moment " deaths in this show has created a situation where the story is now suffering because of all those deaths.

That was exactly my fear after the Season 4 finale and until now I can't say I've been proven wrong.
Imo the only really interesting stuff this season is at The Wall.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
As for the ending... damn. I don't even like Sansa and I was still screaming, "Kill him, Theon!". But, nothing. I'm not sure how giving Sansa away to the Boltons benefits Petyr in any way, unless it was as a precaution in case Roose prevails over Stannis and Cersei both.

Thank fuck for the Queen of Thorns. Olenna is going to do some damage.
I think his purpose was to turn the Lanissters and by extension the crown against Bolton. Cersei believes that Sansa helped kill joffrey, and so will stop at nothing to have her killed, hence her giving littlefinger permission to attack winterfell and become warden of the North.

Game of Thrones: Or rather how characters create their own demise by overplaying their hand.

So after thinking some more, I think raping Sansa in front of Theon is going to be the the straw that broke the camels back.

Ever since Theon was captured and tortured and transformed into Reek, I feel that the only reason he hasn't snapped and attempted suicide is that Theon sees his current situation as punishment for betraying Rob and doing the shit he did at Winterfell.

Reek has internalized his torture to a degree where he feels it's somewhat justified, however that feeling only extends to himself. Seeing Ramsey make Sansa another play thing is going to wake up Theon and Ramsey is going to be blindsided in one of the coming days, most likely when Stanis makes his assault and it's general chaos.

Ramsey has overestimated his power of Reek, he probably views it as a simple Master -> Slave relation and isn't factoring that Reek's personal demons are playing a major factor in his submissive behavior.

royalan

Game of Thrones: Or rather how characters create their own demise by overplaying their hand.

So after thinking some more, I think raping Sansa in front of Theon is going to be the the straw that broke the camels back.

Ever since Theon was captured and tortured and transformed into Reek, I feel that the only reason he hasn't snapped and attempted suicide is that Theon sees his current situation as punishment for betraying Rob and doing the shit he did at Winterfell.

Reek has internalized his torture to a degree where he feels it's somewhat justified, however that feeling only extends to himself. Seeing Ramsey make Sansa another play thing is going to wake up Theon and Ramsey is going to be blindsided in one of the coming days, most likely when Stanis makes his assault and it's general chaos.

Ramsey has overestimated his power of Reek, he probably views it as a simple Master -> Slave relation and isn't factoring that Reek's personal demons are playing a major factor in his submissive behavior.

Just what the show needed: another female character being raped to function as a turning point for a male character's story.

Such fresh storytelling, GoT.

RDreamer

I'm really not digging this season compared to some of the others. I feel like the story arcs have kind of hopped backwards. The whole season feels both like it's going slow as molasses and quick as hell in certain parts. It doesn't feel paced right to me.

I think part of the problem is lack of good characters to cheer for, and the abundance of characters I'm exhausted with.

To parse it out:

Cersei: We get it. She's a bitch. I don't know that I need another whole season of "Cerise's a bitch" to get that she's a bitch. We need some payoff here, and it really should have happened sooner in the season, much like how the payoff with Jeoffrey happened.

Sansa: Her arc would have been interesting if she really truly did learn things from Littlefinger and then took some control and started doing things herself. They showed a shade of it in the bath scene, but then the last scene doubled down on her as a victim. We've had so many seasons of her as a victim that it's getting old now. Move the goddamned arc forward. And I swear if this was just a scene to show Theon's turn to helping Sansa.... then just wow.

Tyrion: His arc feels finished. He might do something down the road, but right now honestly he's doing boring stuff. That would be fine, because we already got payoff with him, but again... there aren't any good characters doing things to cheer for. Little finger can apparently travel back and forth through westeros in a day. Why can't we just get Tyrion over to Dany quicker?

Jon Snow: Probably the character I could cheer for the most at this point, but he's not doing terribly much. Conversations with Stannis are cool and all, but it needs something more. It needs a "fuck yeah" sort of thing to really work. Honestly if he had agreed with Stannis and went south, that would have been badass and got everyone excited. It doesn't fit his character at this point, but at least it would be somewhat exciting...

Jaime Lannister: His arc sort of redeemed him along the way with Brienne. I really liked where things were going. Then he gets back and has this crazy strange relationship with Cersei and ruins everything. There was the rape scene last season. Now this season he's just commanded around like a strange little dog. It feels pathetic. It's also been boring as fuck. They beat up some guards, took their clothes, then hilariously walked right into the water gardens. Then comes the strangest mish mash scene in the entire show. What was going on with that last night? Were the sand snakes planning something else? Were they going to abduct Marcella literally at the exact same time Jaime and Bronn got there? That's the most jarring coincidence in the history of coincidences.

Sand Snakes: "For Oberyn" is not characterization.

Daenerys: I don't need a whole other season of strange decisions ruling Mereen. Get to the goddamned point. We realize now that she's a pretty shit ruler. Now what? I don't get why they went this way. She should have been a shit ruler for a little while, then got things under control. That would have been an interesting arc. Instead it's just bumble after bumble for far too long.

Barriston: Well, that was a useless character... Dany's been kind of boring for a while, but at least there was a sort of buildup of her grabbing some interesting characters to her team and learning to rule. The team gets smaller and her ruling gets more questionable.

Arya: She's been scrubbing dead people for too long. There's been no payoff. No learning anything. No fun characters at all over there. It's nice they brought back Ja'qen, but now what? Last night's scene at the end was kind of cool, but they should have reached that point a bit earlier.

Tommen: I wanted to be able to cheer for him. He seemed cool, but I suppose the lesson they're teaching us is that a timid king just fucking sucks, too. Well, ok... but that kind of sucks.

Really, the problem with everything is that all these characters either reached their storyline payoff last season and are on a bit of a cool down before something else happens or are kind of chugging along starting a new arc. No one we like has had any sort of good payoff moment, and no one we dislike has had a bad payoff moment. I think if you're doing a show like this you need to have all these multiple stories at different points in the arc, so you're getting a bit of payoff at a good pace.

Seasons before this had sort of moments where you're like "Oh shit everything's changed now" by this point in the season. Last season Jeoffrey's death did that. It kept things moving. In Season 3 it was Dany fucking over the guy selling the unsullied and grabbing an entire army for free, basically. Season 2 had the shadow assassin moment. There's also the Theon betrayal moment that season. Season 1 had Bran being pushed out of the tower.

I feel like Episode 2 this season tried to get there, but I don't think it worked quite as much. Jon becoming commander was telegraphed nearly in the first damned season. It's cool that he's there, but the vote wasn't really built up, and him winning was kind of given. Then Dany's story we had her executing someone and Drogon reappearing. Didn't really impact me that hard, mostly because, as I said, Dany feels like she's been waffling about for far too long. With that execution and then the fact that Drogon just left again... well... it's just more waffling.

mujun

The Margaery situation shits me. She's gonna get screwed over by Cersei despite the fact her grandmother is portrayed as being ten times smarter than Cersei (who is pretty dumb without her dad around to help her).

How the hell do the cult guys have so much power all of a sudden, too. Are they seriously able to pretty much take over King's Landing and leave Tommen powerless and the Tyrell matriarch unable to do anything to stop them?

How did Margaery get caught out? She said that to the best of her knowledge she didn't know Loris was doing men, right? How is the birthmark info proof that she knows anything about it? Tenuous proof that the blonde guy knows Loris intimately (why didn't they claim he saw it while he was changing or something, he was his squire or something, right?) but how does a birthmark implicate Margaery?

Asami208

Banned
Royalan Oh yes, I was thinking the same thing. "Need to give female characters trauma, or agency, or give a male friend agency, have someone rape them." That's gotten REALLY predictable by now. Also, if it's supposed to make Sansa want to see the Bolton's dead, then it's also pointless because she already had PLENTY of reasons to want that already. They took over her home, oppressed her people, oh and the freaking Red Wedding, let's not forget about that.

That's always the risk you play when the introduced characters die halfway through the story and you are left with either

1) Creating new characters halfway through the story, making them feel like idle replacements at the worst

2) Simply hone in the focus on the remaining characters

Now some of the new characters were great, Obyrian was the prime example of a new character who had great purpose. Then we have others who really feel tacked on, mainly the current sand snake situation.

In the end I think the show has done a decent job with the fact that they mutilated a whole arc without warning and killed off those characters and killed off the best character in Kings Landing.

I mean, it feels like Kings Landing is an empty shell at this point character wise, but that's because it IS an empty shell. Everyone who was important has either died or said "Fuck this, I'm not dealing with this shit" and bolted the first chance they could.

This season is slow compared to others, but I think to a degree you kinda need to respect how insane Season 3 and 4 were in regards to story lines being set up from Season 1 and 2. That's not to say that there aren't legit gripes with the show and the pace of some storylines (Danny's storyline being the worst, with Sand Snakes being a very close second), but on the whole this season to me felt like it has had to rebuild some situations when it came to Westeros and all the resolutions to storylines and conflicts we got at the end of Season 3 and 4.

A bit torn on this episode, a lot of good stuff happened along with all the terrible stuff already discussed. Glad to see Arya story moving along, also glad that Tyrion and Jorah won't be spending the rest of the season walking to Meereen. I think a lot of people are selling Cersei short, she controls the king (who won't say a word as his smoking hot wife is being arrested) and the Sparrows - who don't seem concerned with her indiscretions as long as they can do their thing. She has Margaery, Loras, and Mace as hostages, which gives her a ton of leverage over Olenna. I don't really know where she's going with all of this, but it's clearly dangerous to underestimate her.

Yes, it gets a bit annoying, when they build up characters as best fighters ever and when it comes to an actual fight they seem kinda lame. Like it already happened with Ser Barristan and Grey Worm two episodes ago.

Seriously. At least Barristan was old so I can sorta justify that a bit. The way they hyped up the Unsullied as the ultimate warriors and the first time we see them fight they get aced by guys with daggers...not impressed at all.

Cersei's end is going to be at the hands of the Faith Militant when they take her to task over her relationship with Jaime. Then her son, whom she's groomed to do nothing but allow this shit to happen will do nothing and allow that shit to happen.

Cake Boss

Banned
God I am still waiting for something interesting to happen in this season.

I am gonna give up after this season, too bad. The show does a great job building you up for something great then it just fails to deliver on anything substantial.

RDreamer

A bit torn on this episode, a lot of good stuff happened along with all the terrible stuff already discussed. Glad to see Arya story moving along, also glad that Tyrion and Jorah won't be spending the rest of the season walking to Meereen. I think a lot of people are selling Cersei short, she controls the king (who won't say a word as his smoking hot wife is being arrested) and the Sparrows - who don't seem concerned with her indiscretions as long as they can do their thing. She has Margaery, Loras, and Mace as hostages, which gives her a ton of leverage over Olenna. I don't really know where she's going with all of this, but it's clearly dangerous to underestimate her.

This is where things are kind of annoying. They've really messed with the arcs here. They were setting Tommen up to be obsessed with Margeary, and giving Margaery power because of it. Then... then what? Cersei really wins back Tommen to her side by... I dunno, telling him it's a good idea to let the high sparrow have power? Where was the turn? It's not really believable to me.

Tainted

How do we know definitively that Theon *doesn't* do anything ? The episode ends mid rape and the Ep 7 trailer has
Sansa telling Theon that her family still has friends in the North
. Raises questions if you ask me...

I am gonna give up after this season, too bad. The show does a great job building you up for something great then it just fails to deliver on anything substantial.

I feel like people forget that most of the seasons have rather big payoffs with somewhat slow middle/starts.

That doesn't mean that this season is as good as the others story wise, but every season has had a major event happen at the end that sets up the next seasons arc and puts new things into motion, which I would say constitues as a payoff.

I mean shit, Season 4 had an insane amount of major events really. Purple Wedding, Going over the Wall, fighting for the Wall, the trial, the trial by combat, the poop killing.

I can see why people are so let down after such an amazing season.

This is where things are kind of annoying. They've really messed with the arcs here. They were setting Tommen up to be obsessed with Margeary, and giving Margaery power because of it. Then... then what? Cersei really wins back Tommen to her side by... I dunno, telling him it's a good idea to let the high sparrow have power? Where was the turn? It's not really believable to me.

No they weren't. They have been setting Tommen to be a pussy who can't do anything by himself. Maybe if his grandfather was still around he might have some balls on him and be taught to be king (some what, he still would have been used to the fullest potential), but they have set him up to be manipulated by everyone. The first scene with Magaery and Tommen was showing how he can be influenced by people instantly, but in the end he's still a mama's boy.

RDreamer

No they weren't. They have been setting Tommen to be a pussy who can't do anything by himself. Maybe if his grandfather was still around he might have some balls on him and be taught to be king (some what, he still would have been used to the fullest potential), but they have set him up to be manipulated by everyone. The first scene with Magaery and Tommen was showing how he can be influenced by people instantly, but in the end he's still a mama's boy.

The problem is that we haven't really seen that influence. It would be a lot more believable if we saw a conversation between Cersei and Tommen where Cersei is talking about how that would be a good move. But we don't get that.

Again, I kind of accept that Tommen is a milquetoast and kind of sucks. But the problem is that the show needs someone somewhere to not kind of suck in order for it to work.

good breakdown

Yup and in the past 2 seasons we have seen exactly 1 scene with White Walkers, who in Season 1 / Episode 1 were put forward as the main threat of this current land. And what was it, Season 3? Where Samwell saw a giant Walker army marching toward ... something ... ( made it look like the Wall ).

I mean shit Littlefinger has traversed the entire continent multiple times over in the amount of time this White Walker army has marched a 100 miles. Its a bit ridiculous. When you can spot " time wasting " from a mile away, its a bit annoying.

The problem is that we haven't really seen that influence. It would be a lot more believable if we saw a conversation between Cersei and Tommen where Cersei is talking about how that would be a good move. But we don't get that.

Again, I kind of accept that Tommen is a milquetoast and kind of sucks. But the problem is that the show needs someone somewhere to not kind of suck in order for it to work.

Tomman tried to send his mom to Casterly Rock on the manipulation of Magaery, which happened pretty early on in the season.

After that it has been back and forth with Tommen showing how inept he is and with Cersi showing how much power she currently has over Tommen, using his lack of a spine as a major force to prevent Magarey from having Tommen really be able to do anything.

rhino4evr

I don't understand posts like this. If you haven't found anything this season "interesting", then why watch the show and complain about it.

Every season of GoT has had slower episodes with traveling and character building . That being said , a lot of "interesting" stuff did happen.
Sansa getting raped while her childhood friend watching is pretty "interesting". Disgusting, but interesting.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't understand posts like this. If you haven't found anything this season "interesting", then why watch the show and complain about it.

Why would anyone stop watching a show five seasons in because a couple of episodes are boring? I love Game of Thrones and it's by far my favorite show on TV but even I can see that this season has been a bit boring.

RDreamer

Tomman tried to send his mom to Casterly Rock on the manipulation of Magaery, which happened pretty early on in the season.

After that it has been back and forth with Tommen showing how inept he is and with Cersi showing how much power she currently has over Tommen, using his lack of a spine as a major force to prevent Magarey from having Tommen really be able to do anything.

That would be a fine way to go, I suppose, if everyone else didn't really suck.

I think me and everyone else are searching for someone to cheer for, and just coming up empty. Seriously, who do we cheer for? Who's the main sort of positive force here? There's literally Tyrion and Jon Snow. Jon just finished his arc and then refused what would actually give fans a "fuck yeah" moment. Tyron finished his arc and is being hauled around like cargo until something else happens to him.

Jackpot

Banned
Given what squires have to do why didn't Loras simply say Olivar saw it when he stripped off after being sealed in hot armour all day long?

If the show has any kind of logic the next thing would be for Queen of Thorns to get a private convo with Tommen and then browbeat him into signing some order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom