• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokeyjoe

There's going to be a hell of a showdown at the Dreadfort. Sansa, Theon and Ramsay; Stannis on his way; Littlefinger and the Vale army; Brienne and Stannis and whoever else. I wasn't too interested in that storyline at first but it seems to have become the focal point for a lot of plot strands. It's going to be a bloodbath, lol.

Future

We can call it that, but the characters on the show would not. There's no concept of, or law against rape within marriage in the GoT world, just like in the middle-ages.

Might get heat for this, but she wasn't gonna refuse. In this world she consented when she took that step forward and agreed to marry during the ceremony. Everyone knew it, the viewers knew it, and she knew it. Still fucked up to see it happen

That's why some people hate the show. You leave an episode just hating on everyone and rooting for no one. But that has been standard fair for game of thrones

Tommen's lack of action was totally pathetic but I wouldn't honestly have expected any better, anyone else think he'll be dead by the end of this season?

No because there isn't really anyone that wants him dead (unless the zealots kill him for being the result of C+J) The worst that could happen to him in short term is something like Olenna arranging him to be kidnapped.

Cersei is doomed tho. Lancel is one of the zealots and he fucked her before+he ''knows'' that Cersei+Jaime is true. Also Olenna going to fuck her up.

I'm not entirely sure what LF is after at this point. I kinda hope he doesn't have true feelings for Sansa and he has been playing everyone just to gain power. Only thing missing now is him having a meeting with Stannis :lol.

Vashetti

Banned
There's going to be a hell of a showdown at the Dreadfort. Sansa, Theon and Ramsay; Stannis on his way; Littlefinger and the Vale army; Brienne and Stannis and whoever else. I wasn't too interested in that storyline at first but it seems to have become the focal point for a lot of plot strands. It's going to be a bloodbath, lol.

Winterfell.

They're in Winterfell. Sansa's home was not the Dreadfort.

Might get heat for this, but she wasn't gonna refuse. In this world she consented when she took that step forward and agreed to marry during the ceremony. Everyone knew it, the viewers knew it, and she knew it. Still fucked up to see it happen

That's why some people hate the show. You leave an episode just hating on everyone and rooting for no one. But that has been standard fair for game of thrones

She was in a situation where she can't say no.

Rape exists in that world, they say it many times. I even remember a main character who was seeking revenge for the rape of his sister.

Sansa was raped, I don't think we really need to argue if she wasn't, cause she was.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Never thought I would see Jean Grey get raped on TV. Kinda feel bad for the actress and the shit questions she will get asked about it throughout the near term of her career.

Curufinwe

Never thought I would see Jean Grey get raped on TV. Kinda feel bad for the actress and the shit questions she will get asked about it throughout the near term of her career.

Emily Clarke seems to have managed alright, and in her case we actually saw it on screen, not just heard it.

Ithil

I wonder why they keep splicing in scenes from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys to these episodes. I don't remember Nikolaj Coster-Waldau being on that show either, but my memory is hazy.

wiibomb

I like a lot this season for the building it's making.. I know a lot don't because there are not a lot of shocking moments (which seems like all what people is interested in), but I like all the story it's making..

poor sansa... I feel like this is one more thing to make her the badass maleficent esque woman she needs to be... if she manages to survive, of course...

on a side note.. I'm so amazed to see how much interest Oberyn made in me, and then see how I don't like Dorne story so far... at all...

Well that's just mean :(

But for the record I'm always getting Highgarden and Dorne mixed up too, so watch out for that.

well that makes sense.. water garden and highgarden.. it has something in common, I guess

Vashetti

Banned
on a side note.. I'm so amazed to see how much interest Oberyn made in me, and then see how I don't like Dorne story so far... at all...

It seems like they saw Oberyn's immense popularity as S4 was airing and hastily threw together the Dorne plotline.

It comes across as a show invention.

DrBo42

She was in a situation where she can't say no.

Rape exists in that world, they say it many times. I even remember a main character who was seeking revenge for the rape of his sister.

Sansa was raped, I don't think we really need to argue if she wasn't, cause she was.

By default, yes. The whole consummation thing is like an accepted form of rape in that universe (and even our own world in history). I'd like to think we're all on the same page about this.

wiibomb

It seems like they saw Oberyn's immense popularity as S4 was airing and hastily threw together the Dorne plotline.

I'm now wondering if this Dorne plot is a big part of the books or if the director's are just making this for the popularity Oberyn build

Jobbs

Banned

People liked Oberyn, in part, because he was a good person, and there are very few good people on the show. We go to Dorne and focus on these Sand Snakes and their mother who are just vengeful and angry and not necessarily coming off as great people -- plus their acting and writing are subpar.

Curufinwe

Oberyn was the definition of vengeful and angry from his first appearance stabbing a random Lannister thru the hand just for signing a song.

I'm now wondering if this Dorne plot is a big part of the books or if the director's are just making this for the popularity Oberyn build

We can't discuss the books here but if you want to read about what the show has changed without spoilers read the GoT wiki.

Maxim726X

By default, yes. The whole consummation thing is like an accepted form of rape in that universe (and even our own world in history). I'd like to think we're all on the same page about this.

Exactly.

How did people see their wedding night going? That she was just going to gleefully open her legs for a man she just met, who is only there because the Boltons slaughtered her family?

Honestly surprised at the outrage. He's a sadistic maniac, how exactly did you think it was going to go down?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm not entirely sure what LF is after at this point. I kinda hope he doesn't have true feelings for Sansa and he has been playing everyone just to gain power. Only thing missing now is him having a meeting with Stannis :lol.
I think littlefinger is avenging his perceived slights from his childhood, but his ambitions go further than that. Nedd stark took the girl he loved. Now after getting Nedd killed he will likely replace Nedd as the Lord of winterfell and become warden of the North, with younger surrogate catalyn at his side. It's a geek revenge trope, which I normally hate, but it is played much more measured and nuanced than you usually see.

jtb

Banned
The fact that this show actively fosters and encourages "it was rape, but was it rape rape?" conversations shows that D/D (and, who knows, probably GRRM too) lack the maturity or skill to properly write sexual violence. And yet they persist.

Who

Banned
This show has been getting shittier by the week. I'm starting to question if I even think it's a good show anymore.

Writing was bad, fight choreography bad -- In certain places the acting was bad (Sand Snakes comic book character girls are terrible) And the rape at the end just felt really gross and pointless, especially after they just built things up as though Sansa was now in control of everything.

The show is a disaster.

Ya know... I think I agree with this.

wiibomb

People liked Oberyn, in part, because he was a good person, and there are very few good people on the show. We go to Dorne and focus on these Sand Snakes and their mother who are just vengeful and angry and not necessarily coming off as great people -- plus their acting and writing are subpar.

not just that, he had many characteristics that made him pretty likable, it's a lot more that being purely "good", but more about the layers of backstory and hate he had..

and of course, he wanted revenge on the lannisters, everybody liked that in that moment of the season 3

We can't discuss the books here but if you want to read about what the show has changed without spoilers read the GoT wiki.

I thought we couldn't discuss book spoilers, I mean.. I'm not asking about anything upcoming, just if all that has happened in Dorne up to this point has been important, or if it has had a big importance in the books.. it's ok if it cannot be talked though, I'll shut up..

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
how old is new Myrcella actress so I know if I should fee like a creep because she pretty

Yeah I thought it was a little, strange, to be showing "cleavage" on such an obviously young girl...

Maybe she is like 18+ now or something though.

I really hope Ayra in exposing low v neck doesn't happen in this show. There is way to much scummy going around lately. Like the show runners think people watch this show for perversions sake.

wiibomb

I think what caught most people off guard was how fast the weeding happened.

yeah.. but well, the robb wedding was even faster, but may be people expected something like a red wedding or a purple wedding, specially with that maniac mind of Ramsay (I think I did) because of all the expectations of this unlikable pair

Curufinwe

Yeah I thought it was a little, strange, to be showing "cleavage" on such an obviously young girl...

Maybe she is like 18+ now or something though.

I really hope Ayra in exposing low v neck doesn't happen in this show. There is way to much scummy going around lately. Like the show runners think people watch this show for perversions sake.

There's actually less than in previous seasons with Emily Clarke not doing nudity, Margaery's post-sex scene with Tommen which could have been show at 8pm on NBC, and Sansa's rape happening off screen.

Who

Banned
So here's something. Are we ever going to hear anything more about Robert Baratheons bastard son that got sent off on a boat? Seemed like a pointless story line.

wiibomb

So here's something. Are we ever going to hear anything more about Robert Baratheons bastard son that got sent off on a boat? Seemed like a pointless story line.

oh yeah!! I completely forgot about him... whatever happened to him?? didn't he was in a kind of scheeming of melissandre?

may be we will see when the stannis fight against the boltons is finished

I agree with everything. This season has been the slowest in character and plot progression. Too much reiterating about what we already knew about the characters or going back and forth with their progression like Dany and Sansa.

Its like they are stalling or trying to by time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Entire sandsnakes sequence with Bronn and Jamie could be the worst in the entire series so far. It's so unbelievably half arsed and weak.

I don't understand what you guys mean, didn't Little Finger tell Cersai because shes going to find out anyways that Sansa just married a Bolton. She then Cersiai was like "lets go up North" and crush them, but hes like no "exercise patients."

Isn't he covering his ass with her, but still trying to protect his plan?

I want to believe that deep down He cares for Sansa.

RDreamer

Entire sandsnakes sequence with Bronn and Jamie could be the worst in the entire series so far. It's so unbelievably half arsed and weak.

Dog scene with Yara trying to get back Theon would like to speak with you.

But yeah... those are both incredibly fucking low points in the series.

I don't understand what you guys mean, didn't Little Finger tell Cersai because shes going to find out anyways that Sansa just married a Bolton. She then said Lets go up North and crush them, but hes like no exercise patients.

Isn't he covering his ass with her, but still trying to protect his plan?

I want to believe that deep down He cares for Sansa.

Here is what's about to happen.

LF goes to Vale to get army.
Stanis attacks Winterfell
Boltons put up a decent fight
LF comes in and assists Stanis with the Vale.
Stanis goes "I'm the true king"
LF goes "Yea w/e just make me Warrden of North"
Stanis goes "Yea sure, w/e"
LF now has control of the north, picks up Liz Sansa, goes to the pub and waits for winter to blow over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom