• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyB

I can understand people criticizing the quality of the show. But to call it slow.... What shows are you watching?
Physical movement is to partially to blame, I think. Season 1 is an outlier because, its Westeros plotlines were tight, but think about how much movement there was in the other seasons. Every character was on a road trip.

Now? Aside from Bronn and Jaime and Tyrion and Jorah, they've been sedentary for five episodes. Bronn quips away in a questionable sidequest and Tyrion's wit is limited to working with Jorah, when he has always excelled in his court/council scenes.

Metroxed

I don't know why people are so upset with the last Sansa-Ramsay scene. It's a show set on the, albeit fictional, fucking Middle Ages. It's a violent world, where violent things happen, that should be pretty obvious by now.

Even if the rape has no point whasoever story-wise (and I believe it will), still, that's something that would happen in a world like this one.

It's like people expect the world and society of GoT to behave like the one we live in. Jesus.

Is it just me or does Littlefingers plan make no sense? Obviously hes trying to split the powerful families up, but his plan is incredibly risky. There are so many witnesses that have observed Sansa and Littlefinger together. What if Cersei had spies in the Vale? Or in the North for that matter? He could have been killed on the spot trying to sell that story.

If Cersei asks the Boltons why they married into the stark family, are they not supposed to mention Littlefinger who arranged the marriage?

I don't know why people are so upset with the last Sansa-Ramsay scene. It's a show set on the, albeit fictional, fucking Middle Ages. It's a violent world, where violent things happen, that should be pretty obvious by now.

Even if the rape has no point whasoever story-wise (and I believe it will), still, that's something that would happen in a world like this one.

It's like people expect the world and society of GoT to behave like the one we live in. Jesus.

wait what?

just because " this is how it was " means people shouldn't be upset about something .... they should be upset about?

thats a very odd line of thinking.

don't get upset that Sansa, a character you've grown to care about since Season 1 gets brutalized and humiliated and forced to have another man watch her get de-flowered in probably the worst way possible ( without going to idiotic extremes ). Why shouldn't you get upset? Because this is just how it is man. Happens to everyone.

Am I the only one excited about Adebisi joining the cast?

Though this show might be too family friendly for him.

Saw him and said "No way! Adebisi!", then instantly thought of this:

shNJGZa.gif

Man, I need to give Oz a re-watch soon...

Overdoziz

Banned
wait what?

just because " this is how it was " means people shouldn't be upset about something .... they should be upset about?

don't get upset that Sansa, a character you've grown to care about since Season 1 gets brutalized and humiliated and forced to have another man watch her get de-flowered in probably the worst way possible ( without going to idiotic extremes ). Why shouldn't you get upset? Because this is just how it is man. Happens to everyone.
There's getting 'upset' with the characters of the show and then there's getting upset with the creators of the show. Big difference.

ASIS

Physical movement is to partially to blame, I think. Season 1 is an outlier because, its Westeros plotlines were tight, but think about how much movement there was in the other seasons. Every character was on a road trip.

Now? Aside from Bronn and Jaime and Tyrion and Jorah, they've been sedentary for five episodes. Bronn quips away in a questionable sidequest and Tyrion's wit is limited to working with Jorah, when he has always excelled in his court/council scenes.
there are simply far too many plot lines in this season, I echo everyone about Drone. the place looks amazing but all events so far are.. dull. even if the fight scene was well executed it's just.. not an interesting turn of events, there is no plotting, no scheming, no nothing.

other than that I thought the episode was really well done. I loved every scene, and sansa'a rape scene was absolutely heartbreaking.

Molemitts

I still don't think Ramsey is anywhere near as bad as Joffrey. Mainly because he doesn't have the power that Joffrey did. Ramsey mainly does bad things to established characters, which makes us dislike him more, but Joffrey did all kinds of bad things to many characters and abused his authority greatly. I still hate Walder Frey the most, though, even if we don't see anything of him anymore.

Also the Sand Snakes or whatever they're called are so bad. I can't believe Oberyn died for this (even if his death scene was really cool). Honestly I hope they're just purposefully building up these awful, boring characters so they can kill them in a satisfying way that will please everyone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The disturbing part on the ending of this episode wasn't Ramsay "raping" Sansa, but more like him forcing Theon/Reek to watch, she is like a sister to him, despite his betrayal to the Starks in season 2. Not to mention it was even more insulting to Sansa.

And I still don't understand people calling this episode or this season boring/slow. Do you really need that epic battle or shocking death of a major character to call it non-boring or slow? Don't worry, i'm sure you'll get your share of epic battle and major deaths in the battle of Winterfell(episode 9 I presume).

tchocky

So I wonder what season we will get a Arya rape scene since I believe all the other major female characters who have survived since the first season have been raped now.

farisr

Being poisoned by one of those sand shits is the worst way for an awesome character to go. Dont kill Bronn plz :(

Yeah, that would suck. If he's poisoned I'm hoping we'll get a whole "why aren't you dead yet" thing and Bronn's all like "immunity bitch" because he's that much of a badass and has experience facing poisoned weapons before (hence sought to become immune from them).

But then again, this is Game of Thrones and he's a fan favorite. He's gonna die. What a crappy fight to die from.

Curufinwe

So I wonder what season we will get a Arya rape scene since I believe all the other major female characters who have survived since the first season have been raped now.

If Arya gets married in the show then she'll either have to have sex with her husband, or kill him first. That's the world. So far (IIRC) any major character in danger of rape from someone they are not in a relationship with has been saved at the last minute by the intervention of male characters. Sansa by the Hound, Brienne by Jaime, and Meera by the arrival of Jon Snow and his buddies.

munchie64

I don't know if that is necessarily fair. I mean it is a problem absolutely, but most of the major characters from season 1 are dead regardless of gender and that discounts some good characters like Osha.

I almost slipped and was doing a google search for arya rape spoiler. First recommendation was arya rape fanfiction. WTF is wrong with people.

I don't know if that is necessarily fair. I mean it is a problem absolutely, but most of the major characters from season 1 are dead regardless of gender and that discounts some good characters like Osha.

It's not a problem. It's the nature of the era that the show is set in. People really need to stop looking at this show through a modern lens.

Curufinwe

She never seemed particulalry prepared...more like passive. She was prepared to have a romantic courtship with her 'dashing prince'.

That's not at all what her conversation with Littlefinger in the crypts indicated. When she talks about being a married woman by the time he gets back, she's talking about having sex with someone who isn't him, even though when they were back in the Vale she made it clear she knew that he wanted to be with her in that way.

The only shocking thing to Sansa was the involvement of Theon.

When there's this controversy on your hands, you've got a problem, whether it's deserved or not.

Over 6 million people watch this show. Just because less than 1% of them are throwing a fit doesn't mean there is a problem. It is a faux problem just because the people who hate what is going on are more vocal than the people who don't.

KooopaKid

Banned
If Bronn is poisoned it's stupid because that would make 2 characters in the same situation at the same time (Jorah)
If Bronn isn't poisoned it's stupid because that would make the Sand Snakes the lamest warriors in the world.

fcobento

Neo Member
The Sand Snakes are already the worst thing to show up in GoT.
That first monologue had me cringed. The last battle had me cringed. The performances have me cringing all the time.

Please, tell me they die soon...

Nibel

If Bronn is poisoned it's stupid because that would make 2 characters in the same situation at the same time (Jorah)
If Bronn isn't poisoned it's stupid because that would make the Sand Snakes the lamest warriors in the world.

TBH the Sand Snakes being the lamest warriors in the world has nothing to do with Bronn being poisoned or not, lol

Still can't believe this is in the show

Dennis

Banned
The Sand Snakes and their mother or whatever were, let us face facts, a bunch of jobbers.

They spent the first part of the season acting like they were badass and then they all get taken prisoner at the first sign of trouble.

Be badass, can't stop one middle-aged man and a cripple.....

mantidor

It's not a problem. It's the nature of the era that the show is set in. People really need to stop looking at this show through a modern lens.

This excuse is getting old, specially for a world of fiction that more and more drifts away from reality. I just wish Martin and D&D would man up and accept they just like this as a way of telling a story, and not this "but it's historically accurate!", specially for a show with magic, dragons and icy things walking.

Over 6 million people watch this show. Just because less than 1% of them are throwing a fit doesn't mean there is a problem. It is a faux problem just because the people who hate what is going on are more vocal than the people who don't.

Now you are making up numbers.

wait what?

Also, seems like we have got all sorts of medieval experts in here...Rape happened and the place of women was subjugated (although class mattered), but rape was a punishable offence in many instances. Of course, there were many more ways than even now for gettig away with it...

Sorry for the DP...

Ramsay and Joffrey? I think they are on the same wavelength, both are nasty ambominations and mentally degraded. I don't think I could choose between them. I probably dislike Ramsay more though. He doesn't do 'bastards' any service, he fits the mould which the 'bastard' has been tarred with. Depraved, lusty, ruthless, cunning, no scruples. Well, at least we have Jon Snow to balance things out.

That's not at all what her conversation with Littlefinger in the crypts indicated. When she talks about being a married woman by the time he gets back, she's talking about having sex with someone who isn't him, even though when they were back in the Vale she made it clear she knew that he wanted to be with her in that way.

The only shocking thing to Sansa was the involvement of Theon.

I am talking about Sansa at the advent of her relationship with Joffrey. Post that, most things have gone down hill and she has been battered from place to place. With LF, she was taken in to his confidence and swayed by his words...She is not a strong character in many ways, well she hasn't had time to develop, and I think she was going with what she saw as her only option. She doesn't have any real connections or anywhere to go...He offered her a goal but no real tools...It was a rather crap plan.

Nameless

The Sand Snakes and their mother or whatever were, let us face facts, a bunch of jobbers.

They spent the first part of the season acting like they were badass and then they all get taken prisoner at the first sign of trouble.

Be badass, can't stop one middle-aged man and a cripple.....

DsU5iKz.gif

Kinda hard to be bad ass when you flail about like Robyn Arryn. Clearly these are the "girls with palsy" Lord Royce was referring to.

Joffrey at least had the excuse that he was a product of incest. Ramsay was brought up and socialized into being a fucking savage by his pops who - at the very least - condones his son's actions. Cersei was shameful about how Joffrey acted behind the scenes and seemed to be even intimidated by his actions at times. Ramsey is just Roose's son with the crazy cranked to 11.

My wife has tears in her eyes by the end of this episode.
That ending was brutal.

She is upset by the events of the show, but on the other handshe completely understands that this is the world the characters live in.

Joffrey at least had the excuse that he was a product of incest. Ramsay was brought up and socialized into being a fucking savage by his pops who - at the very least - condones his son's actions. Cersei was shameful about how Joffrey acted behind the scenes and seemed to be even intimidated by his actions at times. Ramsey is just Roose's son with the crazy cranked to 11.

Roose did scold Ramsay a few episodes back.

He did get them taxes tho.

Kusagari

Roose has been outright annoyed at numerous things Ramsay has done like castrating Theon. He doesn't so much condone Ramsay's actions as realize it's a lost cause trying to stop him.

Nameless

Yeah Ramsay was raised a bastard of a historically ruthless House in the harsh conditions of the North, plus he was taught to fight/kill at an early age. Joffrey was a spoiled mama's boy, coddled and protected his entire life. While naturally evil & psychopathic, he didn't come up in an environment where those things could flourish unchecked(if not encouraged) like Ramsay did.

Curufinwe

Maybe someone already mentioned it yet, but Tyrion's "Guess again" line was perfectly done.

Yeah Ramsay was raised a bastard of a historically ruthless House in the harsh conditions of the North, plus he was taught to fight/kill at an early age. Joffrey was a spoiled mama's boy, coddled and protected his entire life. While naturally evil & psychopathic, he didn't come up in an environment where those things could flourish unchecked(if not encouraged) like Ramsay did.

Joffrey also seemed a little asexual to me. He'd rather shoot a prostitute full of crossbow bolts or beat hem with a club than have sex with them.

Am I the only one that thought Ramsey was being tame? I honestly expected him to chain Sansa to a bondage wheel and break out several whips and other medieval devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom