• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

It's getting attention because game of thrones is now a pop culture phenomenon. People talk about this like they did Lost. Except the content is not exactly family friendly.

This scene (minus Reek) did play out in the first episode.

Which was 5 years ago like I said.

I would like to see that scene take place now and see the reaction, you know, for science. Just to make sure it's not because a fan favorite character is getting the shit end of the stick.

The rape thing is blowing up because culture has changed from 2010 to now, the more I think about it, it's really the only logical thing to me that makes sense.

If this scene played out five years ago in the first episode I highly doubt we have articles getting written about the subject and people threatening to boycott the series.

Which isn't a bad thing I guess, it's good that our culture is changing so that acts of sexual violence is demonized to the point it is now, but I think it's silly to have zero disconnect between a story that takes place in a setting where these acts were completely commonplace and the issues of now.

It's even more obvious when posters/articles talk about how because the show is one of fantasy these acts of horrific violence don't need to exist because "the world is fake, so you can just make up what you want", which isn't how world building works or how suspension of disbelief works, or how it's simply bad writing because of stuff.

Yeah I don't get how you demonize rape on a fictional television show. Of course it's bad. The fact that the show includes it doesn't mean it's not bad. It doesn't mean the producers are saying rape is cool. They aren't positioning Ramsay to be a hero or anything. This is why this comes across sort of odd to me.

tchocky

Yeah I don't get how you demonize rape on a fictional television show. Of course it's bad. The fact that the show includes it doesn't mean it's not bad. It doesn't mean the producers are saying rape is cool. They aren't positioning Ramsay to be a hero or anything. This is why this comes across sort of odd to me.

They are not portraying Ramsay as a hero but they have portrayed Jaime and Drogo as heroes who are both rapists.

Ferrio

Banned
They are not portraying Ramsay as a hero but they have portrayed Jaime and Drogo as heroes who are both rapists.

I don't think Drogo was ever portrayed as a Hero, it's the fans that elevated him to that. He was a simple brute barbarian that had a minor part in the story.

Drogo was hardly portrait as a hero, his people go around and butcher whole villages. Just because Dany fell in love with people loving her doesn't mean he was a "hero".

Jaime is a more complex character where you we came to like him, even with his major shortcomings of being on the Lanisters side, and the show runners even admittedly fucked up with the sex scene in in the temple in season 4.

LevelNth

Banned
No, the audience has done this, which people should realize says a lot more about our culture than most want to admit, but they'd rather revel in their sanctimonious 'hey, you can't do that! rape is bad!' attitudes all of a sudden.

GoT from day one has shown that no one is a straight hero, and no one is a straight villian. It's freakin' trademark is constantly existing in the grey area in between.

scabro

i just dont comprehend the shock

this is rape and murder with some politics and magic: the show.

If you had told me Ramsey rapes Sansa on their wedding day and makes Theon watch a few episodes ago, i would have nodded my head and said "yep, that sounds exactly like what would happen, im more surprised he didnt make Theon hold her down."

Its trite as fuck to bring up that whole "if you think this has a happy ending" yadda yadda, but do people pay attention to the show theyre watching? Ramsey is a horrible sick fuck. How did you not see this coming?

Nikodemos

GoT from day one has shown that no one is a straight hero, and no one is a straight villian. It's freakin' trademark is constantly existing in the grey area in between.
Actually, Jun Snuu is pretty much a hero. As one of the primary characters, he didn't commit any truly reprehensible act.

For that matter, neither did Tyrion, so far. I don't see him killing Tywin and Shae as reprehensible. They conspired to get him sentenced to death on trumped charges just because they dislike him.

Lamel

Banned
I'm not even joking. I didn't know if it was Theon or someone else, but I thought that someone or SOMETHING was going to stop it.

And then my face just fell when I realized, "Oh, this is really actually going to happen."

That's what I thought when Ned was about to get executed. Way too real.

Revolver

i just dont comprehend the shock

this is rape and murder with some politics and magic: the show.

If you had told me Ramsey rapes Sansa on their wedding day and makes Theon watch a few episodes ago, i would have nodded my head and said "yep, that sounds exactly like what would happen, im more surprised he didnt make Theon hold her down."

Its trite as fuck to bring up that whole "if you think this has a happy ending" yadda yadda, but do people pay attention to the show theyre watching? Ramsey is a horrible sick fuck. How did you not see this coming?

That's my feeling too. Ramsey is a sadistic piece of shit and anyone should see this coming from a mile away. I actually feared the scene was going to be more brutal than it was. If you're a Stark in this world then life is going to be nothing but pain, blues and agony. I hope this scene will spur some kind of alliance between Theon and Sansa to make Ramsey suffer for the things he's done.

That's my feeling too. Ramsey is a sadistic piece of shit and anyone should see this coming from a mile away.
Whats troubling to me is that Ramsey seems to actually have fans, on this very forum and elsewhere too. Ramsey has not one single redeeming bone in his body. He flays people alive, children infront of their fathers. He sics dogs on his sex slave girls and takes glee seeing the dogs tear the girls alive bit by bit. He is a serial rapist and a torturer. His plans to cheat on Sansa is the least of anyone's concerns and the fact he raped her like an animal is another brutality in his long list. Worst of all, he enjoys all of it. People are calling him a "badass" and shit like "Go ramsay! woot woot" Such a ridiculously evil man and you want to encourage it.

I know its fantasy and all that, Sansa doesn't exist etc. But what I like about shows like GoT is that it throws a mirror in our faces. No sane person is ok with a sadistic rapist and his escapades, fantasy or otherwise.

Yeah that one dude posting "go ramsey"...wtf!? That post genuinely disturbed me. I didn't even realize there were Ramsey "fans". I mean, he is a great villain, because we love to hate him. But to actually cheer him on? Wat...

Linkhero1

I honestly hate this season. I might stop watching the show. The drop in quality is real. Everything seems cheap and shit. Music during fight scenes, acting, plot, everything.

Likewise. I'm going to finish this season and evaluate how I feel after episode 10. I've invested too much time to stop watching before the trifecta 8,9,10.

I would try to conquer the nation(kingdom?) of dorne right now if i was a betting man. The one competent warrior they had recently had his head caved in and the rest of Dorne fights like they're the star wars kid.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So buzzfeed have the rape scene headline as their third headline
My housemate is LIVID. She hasnt watched it yet
I'm not going to bother linking it because most of the outrage in the article is due to changes from the books, but its fucking shitty of Buzzfeed to have such a blatant spoiler in the title though

Ferrio

Banned
So buzzfeed have the rape scene headline as their third headline
My housemate is LIVID. She hasnt watched it yet
I'm not going to bother linking it because most of the outrage in the article is due to changes from the books, but its fucking shitty of Buzzfeed to have such a blatant spoiler in the title though

Wow that is crazy, Buzzfeed didn't do a "You won't believe..."

I said a few weeks ago this series has overdone the whole shock thing, so now you just expect the worst from the outset. People were just hoping they wouldn't use Sansa as a damsel in distress character YET AGAIN. Sansa wasn't raped in the legal sense of the word, but in the real world where the act was as violent and humiliating as it was, it is the next thing to " rape ". You just didn't want to see that happen, and it happened, and it sucked, and it pissed people off.

It will make for a great death later when Ramsay finally gets his, but I would have still liked to of seen a different path for Sansa's story. It was all too predictable. Theon breaking out of his shell right then and there and stabbing ramsay in the neck with broken glass would of been a surprise. Then they both run to the tower to light the candle and then they meet with Brienne and get awway. When they get to the outskirts of town, they suddenly get a glimpse of a vast army in the distance. Brienne decides to stick around because hey, thats Stannis!

But nah ... they couldn't do something like that. They just had to make Sansa a victim ... again ... and she will be crying ... again ... and desperate ... again. Theres no room for political maneuvering when you are next to a madman each night. Sansa is out of her depth if she actually tries to go behind Ramsay's back to get help. Which is worrisome all its own. What if he suspects something and begins to torture Theon again to get the truth? Yeah ...

Revolver

Whats troubling to me is that Ramsey seems to actually have fans, on this very forum and elsewhere too. Ramsey has not one single redeeming bone in his body.

I can't imagine cheering for the guy. He's crass and vulgar without even a hint of subtlety. I can get people loving to hate him and all but he needs to die in the worst way possible. I fear he's going to be around a while and that makes me sick to my stomach. Joffrey was bad enough but this guy is just beyond the pale.

Ferrio

Banned
But nah ... they couldn't do something like that. They just had to make Sansa a victim ... again ... and she will be crying ... again ... and desperate ... again..

I don't believe this will be happen. Yes she's a victim, but I don't think she's going to respond in the same way she has in the past.

"I never should have come to winterfell. I'm so stuuupid"

Fire-and-Blood-sansa-stark-23506869-1280-720.jpg

HA

I think arya is getting ruthless... He cares about The mountain (at least according to what jaquen believes) yet she left him to die. The kid from last episode.. Arya told that kid a lie to make her drink that jaquen kool aid knowing that will only kill her.. Seems Arya is stealthily being turned into a villain. Wont be surprised if she ices Jaquen once her ninja training is complete as a payback for all the shit he made her go through.
scust.png

Ferrio

Banned
I think arya is getting ruthless... He cares about The mountain (at least according to what jaquen believes) yet she left him to die. The kid from last episode.. Arya told that kid a lie to make her drink that jaquen kool aid knowing that will only kill her.

Why do people think her lieing to that kid and giving her the water was evil? The kid was dying of a painful disease with no hope of living. Arya gave her some comfort before she passed.

Arya's only as dangerous as the agenda that the Faceless One's have. We still don't know what their deal is and, hell, why was someone as competently badass as Jaquen locked up like some sort of dog if he's some sort of stealthy magical assassin?

There are a lot of agendas that need to be sorted, like what the deal is with the weird maester and zombie-mountain, what's melisandre's real objective, and how is Bran's yoda training going to tie into all of this. I assume that we'll start getting some answers soon enough (i know the bran stuff is not in this season) but man this season does have the feeling of treading water more so that the last few.

Revolver

Why do people think her lieing to that kid and giving her the water was evil? The kid was dying of a painful disease with no hope of living. Arya gave her some comfort before she passed.

I thought she showed the girl mercy more than anything. She gave her some comfort and ended her suffering peacefully.

Herne

I think half the shock and anger is that yes, we've been following Sansa and seeing her get beaten down for so long that, even if you don't like her (as I don't), it felt like a line had been crossed somehow. I think the other half is because the scene only exists to set up Theon's possible redemption, and that just cheapens everything.

I don't know, I've tried to think about and express why I feel I and others reacted in the way we did. Something about it felt wrong, something about it lessened the show. We've seen characters we love get beaten, killed, mutilated, decapitated and also raped in a more brutal manner than Sansa was, so it's not as if we didn't expect this sort of thing to happen. People have had horrified reactions to brutal deaths and worse in the show, and it's a well known joke that it's not safe to have favourite characters in Game of Thrones, so no, I don't think that anybody was surprised that Ramsay would consummate the marriage.

It's the way it was done, not the fact that it was done, that gets to people.

ivysaur12

Banned
Even Senator McCaskill thought the fight scene was stupid:

Claire McCaskill ‏@clairecmc
Ok, I'm done Game of Thrones.Water Garden, stupid.Gratuitous rape scene disgusting and unacceptable.It was a rocky ride that just ended.

But really, who expected Ramsay to not do some fucked up shit to Sansa? Some folks seem to be really upset about something that was pretty much obviously going to happen from the get go once we knew this marriage was a thing.

The only thing that she still has going for her is that Brienne is still lingering around, trying to complete a fetch quest that a woman gave her seasons ago. There's got to be a payoff for her efforts or else they wouldn't have kept her in the area earlier this season.

Malikov

Banned
Really hope Roose abandons Ramsay at Winterfell during the siege.

Roose reminds me a bit of Tywin and has way more potential to be interesting than the 1 note Ramsay

he has his legitimate heir now so Ramsay can go pop his clogs

Valus

But really, who expected Ramsay to not do some fucked up shit to Sansa? Some folks seem to be really upset about something that was pretty much obviously going to happen from the get go once we knew this marriage was a thing.

The only thing that she still has going for her is that Brienne is still lingering around, trying to complete a fetch quest that a woman gave her seasons ago. There's got to be a payoff for her efforts or else they wouldn't have kept her in the area earlier this season.

Tons of people in this very thread were spewing nonsense weeks ago about how Sansa is going to have Ramsey legitimately wrapped around her finger and that she was going to play the game like a pro. I have no idea where these crazy ideas came from. People just being hopeful and forgetting what show they're watching I guess.

The rape scene made me feel a little uneasy but I was mostly just mad that Theon once again didn't do shit. I guess since I was expecting it (consumate the marriage and all that) I wasn't bothered that much by it.

dLMN8R

Limitations based on where they're shooting is one thing, but the location they chose was not required, nor were the writers required to introduce the Sand Snakes which thus far have been unquestionably the worst characters ever in any season.

They're basically the Nikki and Paulo of Game of Thrones. Hopefully they quickly meet the same end.

Tons of people in this very thread were spewing nonsense weeks ago about how Sansa is going to have Ramsey legitimately wrapped around her finger and that she was going to play the game like a pro. I have no idea where these crazy ideas came from. People just being hopeful and forgetting what show they're watching I guess.

The rape scene made me feel a little uneasy but I was mostly just mad that Theon once again didn't do shit. I guess since I was expecting it (consumate the marriage and all that) I wasn't bothered that much by it.

Personally, it is not the particular interaction with Ramsay that is super problematic for me once the ball was rolling...it is the whole premise of this plot thread. It is crap. Putting Sansa in that situation in the first place with bugger all allies and resources and expect her to come out on top (Well she probably will in the end...) is dumb as hell. It is bad writing...

Personally, it is not the particular interaction with Ramsay that is super problematic for me once the ball was rolling...it is the whole premise of this plot thread. It is crap. Putting Sansa in that situation in the first place with bugger all allies and resources and expect her to come out on top (Well she probably will in the end...) is dumb as hell. It is bad writing...

But the north is also where she has the most allies and is very, very far from King's Landing. the Boltons don't seem long for the north and any enemies or interested parties trying to get to her would have a tough time doing so. So while, yes, shit seems real fucked for her in the immediate future she's also in the best position to eventually come out of this whole ordeal with her head still on her shoulders and the ability to avenge her family with the power of the north behind her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom