• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reason Sansa's rape feels so nasty, despite already seeing plenty of filth on this show, is that the audience already "gets it". Like, ok, the Starks are good people that keep getting fucked over in life, i get it by now. But for the first time (for me at least) it feels like too much. I mean Sansa getting literally fucked by the bastard son of the man who betrayed and killed her brother. Ugh, it's just fucking gross. Add to the several pointless and meandering plot lines in the show, and you have one really underwhelming season. By far the worst season of the show yet, and for the first time I'm starting to question how much I really like this show. I'll still hold out hope for a stellar finale, since I've really enjoyed every previous season so far, but I just don't know. So conflicted about this show right now hahah.

Curufinwe

Also, seems like we have got all sorts of medieval experts in here...Rape happened and the place of women was subjugated (although class mattered), but rape was a punishable offence in many instances.

Not within marriage. The GoT wiki page for this episode has a thorough explanation of it.

Westeros has no concept of sexual abuse within marriage, and most marriages among the nobility are not made for love but to secure political alliances. As in the real-life Middle Ages, once a woman is married her husband has the right to sexual access to her - particularly on their wedding night - and moreover, the woman is aware of this and that she doesn't really have viable options to deny him. That is, Ramsay has sex with Sansa and she is crying, but she isn't fighting him off - she knew the marriage would entail this (indeed, Littlefinger instructed her to basically seduce Ramsay). This is comparable to aspects of Cersei Lannister's marriage to Robert Baratheon: Cersei quickly grew to loathe Robert, but she never outright denied him sexual access to her - simply because she had no real options. Her father had commanded her to marry Robert to secure a political alliance, so she couldn't complain to Tywin about how Robert was treating her. Neither Cersei nor Robert would say that he ever "raped" her (particularly if she wasn't actively fighting him off), given that by definition in Westeros rape cannot legally occur between a husband and wife; similarly, neither Ramsay nor Sansa would describe their wedding night as "rape" in their understanding of the term, nor that he "forced" himself on her. "Rape" does occur within marriage in Westeros in the physical sense that a wife resists her husband throughout the sexual encounter (though this is not legally considered rape)

Deku Tree

That Sansa rape scene was horrifying to watch. I know they are married but if that wasn't rape I don't know what is...

...yeah and tommen is a Wimpy king and that setup was so obvious and in order to advance the plot they had to lock up the queen.

This excuse is getting old, specially for a world of fiction that more and more drifts away from reality. I just wish Martin and D&D would man up and accept they just like this as a way of telling a story, and not this "but it's historically accurate!", specially for a show with magic, dragons and icy things walking.

Now you are making up numbers.

It's not an excuse; it's the way the world works. Game of Thrones, from the very beginning, was told from the timeline of the middle ages. The things that happened in this show, and much much worse, actually happened during those times. Just because some of the more fantastical elements of the show are present does not mean the politico-economic aspects of it are not trying to portray the time that the show is set in. You cannot just say "There are dragons, therefor the politics during that era no longer exist as they should."

What numbers am I making up? There were 6.5 million viewers of the last episode with tracking, 1% of that is 6,500. I personally have not seen more negative reactions than that, have you? Even the faux-outrage articles quoting users on Twitter who are upset show only 5-10. We just think there are more people upset than there actually are due to the negativity bias.

Nameless

Maybe someone already mentioned it yet, but Tyrion's "Guess again" line was perfectly done.

Joffrey also seemed a little asexual to me. He'd rather shoot a prostitute full of crossbow bolts or beat hem with a club than have sex with them.

"Harder!!"

Loving the King Landing's storyline this season but how much better would it be if you replaced Tommen with The Joff? With no Tywin around to keep him in check he would be running amuck right now and it would be glorious.

Nameless

Cock merchants, huh.

mP3CYie.gif

turtle553

Arya story is so boring at this point. Boltons, Stannis and KL are high points for me. Tyrion+Dany somewhere in the middle without my man Varys.

And daaaaamn the Sand Snakes are bad. Without Bronn and Jaime it would be insufferable.

Are the Sand Snakes really supposed to be badass or just hype? I took them killing the guy in the sand, who made the grievous error of providing them valuable information as confirmation that they are incompetent. At no other time were they depicted as anything special.

mantidor

It's not an excuse; it's the way the world works. Game of Thrones, from the very beginning, was told from the timeline of the middle ages. The things that happened in this show, and much much worse, actually happened during those times. Just because some of the more fantastical elements of the show are present does not mean the politico-economic aspects of it are not trying to portray the time that the show is set in. You cannot just say "There are dragons, therefor the politics during that era no longer exist as they should."

What numbers am I making up? There were 6.5 million viewers of the last episode with tracking, 1% of that is 6,500. I personally have not seen more negative reactions than that, have you? Even the faux-outrage articles quoting users on Twitter who are upset show only 5-10. We just think there are more people upset than there actually are due to the negativity bias.

So you tallied all negative reactions to come up with that percentage? lol

Best episode of the season.

Arya is making progress, can't wait to see where her story takes her from here.

Tyrion and Jorah got a fast ticket to Mereen, and it'll likely lead to some sweet fighting pits scenes! Plus Tyrion had a time to shine again, he really is the best character in the show.

Cersei is a fucking bitch. Now she not only has the inevitable time bomb of the zealots arresting her for incest, but she has Old Lady Tyrell against her (who she still doesn't know was behind Jofffrey's death). It would be funny if the zealots switch sides to the Tyrell's seeing they're the ones with the money at this point and they end up in total control of Tommen and King's Landing with Cersei arrested and Margeary freed.

Tommen is still a punce.

Sand Snakes were disappointing but that whole arc has been so let's just get it over with already.

Poor Sansa :( That scene is going to catapult both her and Theon's stories forward. It's going to be the straw that broke the camels back for both of them I feel. The next scenes at Winterfell will be monumental.

Every plot line is about ready to explode now, which being on episode 6 is to be expected I guess.

rinse82

I was waiting for Theon to drive a sword into Ramsey's back, instead it was just Sansa's horrific groans as screen faded to black.

That sucked.

For a brief moment a few episodes ago, I thought the Marg-Tommen combo would've been a formidable force on the throne (Marg's cunning paired with Tommen's good nature and will to learn). Now I see how sadly I was mistaken, as their weaknesses are getting exploited...and by Cersei of all people. Tommen is still just a child...spineless, timid, and naive. Marg is not as sharp on the defense as she is on the offense...her emotion and ego let her be a step behind Cersei.

I expect Olenna to recuperate and come back to show them how proper political maneuvering is done.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This excuse is getting old, specially for a world of fiction that more and more drifts away from reality. I just wish Martin and D&D would man up and accept they just like this as a way of telling a story, and not this "but it's historically accurate!", specially for a show with magic, dragons and icy things walking.
It's not an excuse, it's the rationale behind what happened.
I don't think the writers were sitting around thinking 'I really want to have Sansa get raped' and then trying to come up with an excuse to avoid any criticism. This was an inevitable outcome of the actions that had preceeded it. Why should they shy away from showing the brutalies of the parallel time, when they have shown so much else that is abhorrent and vile? I guess I am not sure what people wanted - do we want to just whitewash the past and pretend things like this didn't happen in the period it is drawing from?

MikeyB

I gripe about the show, but that rape is an awful thing that makes a lot of sense in the show. She's being married into a family that beheaded her brother, slit her mother's throat, and are allied with the family that beheaded her father.

Informed consent was never on the table.

Having Theon reclaim some of his old identity at the wedding, and then having him revert back to Reek mode when Ramsay does his fucking vile thing, felt off as fuck.

pants

I think the reason Sansa's rape feels so nasty, despite already seeing plenty of filth on this show, is that the audience already "gets it". Like, ok, the Starks are good people that keep getting fucked over in life, i get it by now. But for the first time (for me at least) it feels like too much. I mean Sansa getting literally fucked by the bastard son of the man who betrayed and killed her brother. Ugh, it's just fucking gross. Add to the several pointless and meandering plot lines in the show, and you have one really underwhelming season. By far the worst season of the show yet, and for the first time I'm starting to question how much I really like this show. I'll still hold out hope for a stellar finale, since I've really enjoyed every previous season so far, but I just don't know. So conflicted about this show right now hahah.
I dont understand what you're saying, you only want good things to happen?

Dennis

Banned
Having Theon reclaim some of his old identity at the wedding, and then having him revert back to Reek mode when Ramsay does his fucking vile thing, felt off as fuck.

I don't know, given his trauma I could see him going into Reek survival mode anytime Ramsay does something cruel.

Cersei vs Olenna was so delicious to watch.

The rest is a bit boring.

I liked the cock merchant bit though. That was cutey 😊

Jaime and Bronn was funny too. Bronn's dig at the golden hand was so jabby XD

Can't remember the rest of the episode. Arya was doing things in the dark or something.

Oh of course there's that sansa got ramsay-ed bit at the end. Could almost feel GRRM heavy breathings through the scene 😂

#TeamOlenna

Nameless

A lot of debate going around on whether or not the scene constitutes rape in the conventional sense, but I don't that matters -- it was a brutal sexual assault however you choose to look at it. Not only did he try to humiliate and dominate Sansa, but he used her being a virgin to inflict as much pain & suffering as possible.

Curufinwe

Using his real name at the wedding wasn't reclaiming his identity. He did that already at Moat Cailin and remained Reek. He would have remained Reek forever in my opinion if Ramsey had continued to just punish and torture him since at this point he believes he deserves it. Like Tywin said about Cersei, Reek isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

I don't know, given his trauma I could see him going into Reek survival mode anytime Ramsay does something cruel.

Possibly, but I dunno.

Hell, the episode gave Theon and Sansa some "I'm not as totally docile as you might fuck time" (with Theon's giving away and Sansa's bathtime stuff), and of course Sansa has been in training with Littlefinger to become her own woman for a while now, and then here comes Ramsay to annihilate that slight development.

If it's to reinforce Ramsay's character, fair enough, but they've established that he's a complete piece of shit for two seasons now. It's just nothing is really changing because of that scene, and when nothing is changing, when there's no extra meaning, you just have... a rape for rape's sake.

Using his real name at the wedding wasn't reclaiming his identity. He did that already at Moat Cailin and remained Reek. He would have remained Reek forever in my opinion if Ramsey had continued to just punish and torture him since at this point he believes he deserves it. Like Tywin said about Cersei, Reek isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

I just think I have zero faith in all their decisions with those characters. The direction seems severely lacking. If this ends up with Theon actually going HAM, then they missed the ideal opportunity now - and like you say, it would/should have happened already at Moat Cailin - and if it ends up with Stannis killing them all anyway then... that was all a waste of time

mantidor

It's not an excuse, it's the rationale behind what happened.
I don't think the writers were sitting around thinking 'I really want to have Sansa get raped' and then trying to come up with an excuse to avoid any criticism. This was an inevitable outcome of the actions that had preceeded it. Why should they shy away from showing the brutalies of the parallel time, when they have shown so much else that is abhorrent and vile? I guess I am not sure what people wanted - do we want to just whitewash the past and pretend things like this didn't happen in the period it is drawing from?

Again this is not really the issue, in fact my first reaction was "well,that was expected", the issue is precisely that, the show is becoming predictable, the writing is terrible, so the excuse about historical accuracy for a gratitous rape scene as somehow being important for character or story development becomes thin. That whole arc makes little sense, they really didn't sell us why in the hell would Sansa go through with this mess of a plan. It comes out like they really just wanted to cram in a storyline of the books because of all the sexual violence it has.

And really this episode had so many stinkers, the word of some squire is above the freaking Queen? And I'm not even going to talk about the disaster of the Dorne story.

I only started watching because freaking dragons man, and it seems it would continue to be the only reason.

Curufinwe

Possibly, but I dunno.

Hell, the episode gave Theon and Sansa some "I'm not as totally docile as you might fuck time" (with Theon's giving away and Sansa's bathtime stuff), and of course Sansa has been in training with Littlefinger to become her own woman for a while now, and then here comes Ramsay to annihilate that slight development.

If it's to reinforce his character, fair enough, but they've established that he's a complete piece of shit for two seasons now. It's just nothing is really changing because of that scene, and when nothing is changing, when there's no extra meaning, you just have... a rape for rape's sake.

Sansa can't take the Boltons down, avenge her family and reclaim the North for the Starks without being married to Ramsey. This is what Littlefinger told her on the hill before Moat Cailin and she agreed with him. And she can't be married to Ramsey, or anyone not named Tyrion, really, and not have sex with him.

Again this is not really the issue, in fact my first reaction was "well,that was expected", the issue is precisely that, the show is becoming predictable, the writing is terrible, so the excuse about historical accuracy for a gratitous rape scene as somehow being important for character or story development becomes thin. That whole arc makes little sense, they really didn't sell us why in the hell would Sansa go through with this mess of a plan. It comes out like they really just wanted to cram in a storyline of the books because of all the sexual violence it has.

And really this episode had so many stinkers, the word of some squire is above the freaking Queen? And I'm not even going to talk about the disaster of the Dorne story.

I only started watching because freaking dragons man, and it seems it would continue to be the only reason.

Sansa was pretty much tricked into being there by LF on multiple occassions. He used her as a way to piss off Cersei enough to be against the Boltons. So much so that she is now willing to go ahead and name him Warden of the North once the Boltons and Stannis are out of the way. Shes just a pawn. He put her there for just that purpose. Maybe someday many years in the future she will have some level of power in Winterfell, but in the immediate sense of things, Sansa is in Winterfell souly to put Cersei against the Boltons.

You don't seem to understand the concept of "suspension of disbelief"

The world is based on our own but with separate laws of nature, which are based on the supernatural. Just because there is magic that separates it from our world, doesn't mean the author/director has just broken all connections between the world it's setting is based on. Turning around and destroying the setting of which we understand would not only be bad storytelling but would destroy the suspension of disbelief of the story.

Just imagine if Sansa said "No, I don't want to have sex tonight in front of Theon", and Ramsery just went "Oh, alright, I respect your opinion as my now wife."?

That would be stupid, because the world they are set in would almost never allow that to happen, especially with the character Ramsey and the current relationship where Sansa is practically a prisoner of the Boltons.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm not sure what people were expecting would happen after Sansa's 2nd wedding. I mean, everyone knows that, in GoT world, when a man and a woman are wed, they go in the bedroom and fuck to "consume" the marriage as soon as possible. We saw this coming weeks ago. The only real shocker here being that Theon was asked to stay and watch. Did some of you expect Sansa to be left alone after the wedding? Ramsay isn't Tyrion.

I honestly hate this season. I might stop watching the show. The drop in quality is real. Everything seems cheap and shit. Music during fight scenes, acting, plot, everything.

I dont understand what you're saying, you only want good things to happen?
Lol what? How did you get that from my post? I'm just saying the suffering of the Stark family is exhausting at this point, and Sansa's already dealt with enough. The fact that the Boltons killed most of her family and now the bastard son is fucking her, it just feels over the top for me, even by GoT standards. Which is odd, considering how much fucked up shit they've already shown.

ASIS

I think people going "this is predictable" are kind of missing the point IMO. Ask yourself, did you really predict that Sansa would marry Ramsey at the beginning of the season? If you did then the show would fall in the 'predictable' category. If you, however, predicted the events that would happen AFTER that decision was made, then it's actually a good sign that shows consistency in character development. In other words, there was no other way for the two to have consensual sex. And there was no way Ramsey would suddenly respect Sansa after the first night in marriage.

I think people should discuss whether Sansa even agreeing to marry the boltons is considered good or bad writing, because the outcome of this decision is, unfortunately, inevitable.

I was waiting for Theon to drive a sword into Ramsey's back, instead it was just Sansa's horrific groans as screen faded to black.

That sucked.

Yup lol. Thought the same, as many of us likely did.

It still amazes me that five seasons in.. People still whinge about scenes in GoT.

It would have been odd if anything other than Sansa rape happened and I love her as a character. I can't wait to see her get revenge.

tumblr_mnupjiqDQt1qkwee2o8_250.gif

Future

I think people going "this is predictable" are kind of missing the point IMO. Ask yourself, did you really predict that Sansa would marry Ramsey at the beginning of the season? If you did then the show would fall in the 'predictable' category. If you, however, predicted the events that would happen AFTER that decision was made, then it's actually a good sign that shows consistency in character development. In other words, there was no other way for the two to have consensual sex. And there was no way Ramsey would suddenly respect Sansa after the first night in marriage.

I think people should discuss whether Sansa even agreeing to marry the boltons is considered good or bad writing, because the outcome of this decision is, unfortunately, inevitable.

Everyone knew the marriage would be consomated. There was no way the rape couldn't occur unless she somehow avoided the marriage.... Which eventually became clear she wasn't going to do. The only reason this didn't happen sooner is because Joffrey had no interest and tyrion was good.

Even though everyone knew this, people were hoping Sansa would find someway to protect herself.... But she did not. Which is honestly consistent with her character but damn it'd be nice to see some growth here. Perhaps it will come at the end of the season if she finally starts scheming and making plans of her own instead of following everyone else. Every marriage, every location she's gone, everything she has done has been at the will of someone else. Like she said in this episode she's the goddamned Sansa stark of winterfell. Time to fuck shit up

Hopefully the significance of the scene in that she's reached her lowest point and will now rise up (reek too). Knowing this show she'll probably get randomly punched in the face next episode

KooopaKid

Banned

Exactly and no, it was not believable. She wasn't even close to being ready to agree to approach the killers of her mother and brother.

SkylineRKR

The scene did make sense. Its a ritual to bed after the marriage, same thing happened with Sansa and Tyrion, and Edmure etc.

Ramsay just does it in his own twisted way we've come to expect from him. I wasn't shocked, it wasn't even shown on screen. I knew the guy would molest her, we all know his personality. Him being a gent would've been out of the question.

Letting Theon watch was brilliant, it cemented Ramsays derangedness and Alfie Allen acted that part really well. I think this scene poses a turnaround for both Sansa and Theon. They'll need to reconcile and help eachother to escape.

Everyone knew the marriage would be consomated. There was no way the rape couldn't occur unless she somehow avoided the marriage.... Which eventually became clear she wasn't going to do. The only reason this didn't happen sooner is because Joffrey had no interest and tyrion was good.

Even though everyone knew this, people were hoping Sansa would find someway to protect herself.... But she did not. Which is honestly consistent with her character but damn it'd be nice to see some growth here. Perhaps it will come at the end of the season if she finally starts scheming and making plans of her own instead of following everyone else. Every marriage, every location she's gone, everything she has done has been at the will of someone else. Like she said in this episode she's the goddamned Sansa stark of winterfell. Time to fuck shit up

Hopefully the significance of the scene in that she's reached her lowest point and will now rise up (reek too). Knowing this show she'll probably get randomly punched in the face next episode

Once again, what was she going to do? She just went through the wedding, why would she fuck the plan up by killing Ramsey (Which would be the only way to prevent having sex after the wedding)?

"I'm Sansa Stark of Winterfell! Listen to me, I'm a Stark! I can fuck shit up cause I'm a Stark!"

"Oh that's cute Sansa, now off to the jail cell you go where you will wait for years till my new son can officially marry you. I hope there aren't any uprisings cause if there is you're fucking dead!"

ASIS

There is absolutely no way things would have been better unless the writers would reach into Anime level turnaround for Theon or Insane boost in physical strength for Sansa or something to that effect.

There is still a chance for Sansa to tear shit up. She still has allies in the north and she knows how to call them when in need. She's not going down without putting a good fight first but there is a high chance for her to go down at the end of the day.

For what its worth that scene left a more sour taste in my mouth than the red wedding. That's saying a lot.

Please don't die giving birth to Ramsey's son... Please ;_;

Future

Once again, what was she going to do? She just went through the wedding, why would she fuck the plan up by killing Ramsey (Which would be the only way to prevent having sex after the wedding)?

"I'm Sansa Stark of Winterfell! Listen to me, I'm a Stark! I can fuck shit up cause I'm a Stark!"

"Oh that's cute Sansa, now off to the jail cell you go where you will wait for years till my new son can officially marry you. I hope there aren't any uprisings cause if there is you're fucking dead!"

People were probably hoping for some maneuvering to stop all this shit. Especially with the realization that little finger is using her as a pawn. It's just a punch in the face to the viewer multiple times while watching the show

It's true, once she agreed to marriage it was done. But they even filmed the marriage in a way that seemed to suggest that she could have a moment of clarity and declined last minute, have some plan in place, anything really lol. She received sufficient warning by seeing reek and hearing the girl ramble that something was up with Ramsay. But she kept marching along like a good soldier pawn that she's always been

But these events were both consistent with her character and he rules of the world. People are just waiting for her to grow and start making better plans for herself. I'm guessing that happens before the end of the season

On the rape controversy...I'm actually surprised it's stirring such an outrage. Not to lessen its severity, but I'm pretty sure characters have been raped on the show before (among other terrible things). Is it because it happened to Sansa this time? Someone who's seen as innocent and pure?

The scene didn't surprise me at all...I thought it was obviously coming from the moment they returned to Winterfell. Littlefinger left her there and even told her marrying Ramsey was the goal here to put her in a position of power.

The way I saw it, she knew this was going to happen, mentally prepared for it the best she could, and now she's going through with the necessary evil to meet her goal. It's clearly an unpleasant event for her, but a step she needs to get through if she wants an opportunity to make a play. What else was she supposed to do? Fight back and get killed right then and there? She's biding her time. I'm sure she'll get her chance to strike back. Whether it's successful or not is what I'm interested to see.

Nameless

Exactly and no, it was not believable. She wasn't even close to being ready to agree to approach the killers of her mother and brother.

What? She had been living with the killers of her father and bannermen for years. She manipulated the Lords of the Vale and was growing more & more confident each day. Littlefinger played to all of this, feeding her notions of revenge and becoming Wardeness, when in reality, she was just a pawn in his plan take The North for himself.

pants

Lol what? How did you get that from my post? I'm just saying the suffering of the Stark family is exhausting at this point, and Sansa's already dealt with enough. The fact that the Boltons killed most of her family and now the bastard son is fucking her, it just feels over the top for me, even by GoT standards. Which is odd, considering how much fucked up shit they've already shown.
The lower it gets the sweeter the payoff will be, like with what happened to Joffrey

On the rape controversy...I'm actually surprised it's stirring such an outrage. Not to lessen its severity, but I'm pretty sure characters have been raped on the show before (among other terrible things). Is it because it happened to Sansa this time? Someone who's seen as innocent and pure?

The scene didn't surprise me at all...I thought it was obviously coming from the moment they returned to Winterfell. Littlefinger left her there and even told her marrying Ramsey was the goal here to put her in a position of power.

The way I saw it, she knew this was going to happen, mentally prepared for it the best she could, and now she's going through with the necessary evil to meet her goal. It's clearly an unpleasant event for her, but a step she needs to get through if she wants an opportunity to make a play. What else was she supposed to do? Fight back and get killed right then and there? She's biding her time. I'm sure she'll get her chance to strike back. Whether it's successful or not is what I'm interested to see.

The rape thing is blowing up because culture has changed from 2010 to now, the more I think about it, it's really the only logical thing to me that makes sense.

If this scene played out five years ago in the first episode I highly doubt we have articles getting written about the subject and people threatening to boycott the series.

Which isn't a bad thing I guess, it's good that our culture is changing so that acts of sexual violence is demonized to the point it is now, but I think it's silly to have zero disconnect between a story that takes place in a setting where these acts were completely commonplace and the issues of now.

It's even more obvious when posters/articles talk about how because the show is one of fantasy these acts of horrific violence don't need to exist because "the world is fake, so you can just make up what you want", which isn't how world building works or how suspension of disbelief works, or how it's simply bad writing because of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom