• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

I was going to say Daenarys until I saw you covered her. But these things start small, man. Some reasons why it could happen:
a) She'd be the most well-developed villain in TV history, and would make the end-game fascinating;
b) There's been plenty of foreshadowing if it goes that way; her family is evil and she has done some vicious things and suffered terribly; and
c) It would really fucking upset a lot of people - which GRRM and the show's runners seem to love to do.

Probably more likely that Jon and Dany ally in the end, but Dany going closer to mad queen or evil queen status after the total collapse of Mereen would be far more interesting.

I've been avoiding this thread due to fatigue over the 'scandal' so I may have missed a lot, but I don't think Dany's family was evil? Just her dad

Ser Barristan called Rhaegar the greatest man he ever met. I mean, he did 'kidnap' lyanna, but that is probably because he knocked her up. Viserys wasn't evil, just arrogant and obsessed. He was no more evil than, say, Tywin

The Bolton's days are numbered. Whether Stannis defeats them in battle, Sansa and Theon kill them, LF kills them, they aren't going to last. Only problem is, who will the major villains be when they meet their inevitable demise? There aren't many main villain characters left at this point, Tommen is nothing like Joffrey, Tywin is gone and Cersei seems to be making a colossal mess that will come back to bite her in the end, even the wildlings are potentially teaming up and they were significant villains before. Daenerys seems to be going a bit mad but I can't see her becoming a major villain.

There are only 2 seasons left, the White Walkers have to show up soon. Little Finger is also a villain in the end, I'd imagine. Certainly he stands in the way of Daenerys' destiny

The rapists on the wall will probably be a brief villain too (again) since they foreshadowed that when Stannis left.

Also the sons of the harpies, stonemen, slavers, melisandre etc.

tldr: I don't think we need to worry about a shortage of villains

Venture

Agreed, they're easily the most boring part of the show right now, actually the only part of the show I have no interest in. Ellaria is hot but besides that the story needs to wrap it up because it's garbage, and the 3 daughters are easily the worst cast actors on the show since the new Daario.

Who knows though, maybe it'l change and in the end we'll love them, lol.
I don't think the actors have had a fair shot yet. The writing and directing is what's killed their scenes. The characters have been absolutely pointless so far though.

sangreal

Agreed, they're easily the most boring part of the show right now, actually the only part of the show I have no interest in. Ellaria is hot but besides that the story needs to wrap it up because it's garbage, and the 3 daughters are easily the worst cast actors on the show since the new Daario.

Who knows though, maybe it'l change and in the end we'll love them, lol.

Could not agree more on the slights against both those 3 women and Daario2. Just awful, all around

Also they failed to "show, not tell" -- they've never shown us any reason why we should care about the sand-snakes or think they are capable.

I don't think the actors have had a fair shot yet. The writing and directing is what's killed their scenes. The characters have been absolutely pointless so far though.

I absolutely cannot see myself every warming up to the Michelle Rodriguez clone and that constant scowl.

Rewatching the last episode now... still upset about Bronn. Probably one of my top 3 favorites

Agreed, it's such a shitty way for him to go, would have been better if they just ended his character off as they did last season. Marrying some lady and living out his life. Nope, you like a character, fuck you.

Winter probably ends up winning in the end, lol.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
The Dorn scenes have easily been the worst thing about this season. And the way everything went down so quickly this episode makes it seem like they had last minute rewrites for the Dorn plot. The show has never been this sloppy before.

Yes, he got scratched.

But he's not dead yet, and the Mountain was pretty fucked up before the whole poison thing, and Bronn only got a flesh wound, not like he was stabbed in the gut.

If Dorne is the city of poison than they are the city of antidotes.

Yes, he got scratched.

But he's not dead yet, and the Mountain was pretty fucked up before the whole poison thing, and Bronn only got a flesh wound, not like he was stabbed in the gut.

But Zombie Mountain vs Zombie Bron would be an epic fight.

FStubbs

The Bolton's days are numbered. Whether Stannis defeats them in battle, Sansa and Theon kill them, LF kills them, they aren't going to last. Only problem is, who will the major villains be when they meet their inevitable demise? There aren't many main villain characters left at this point, Tommen is nothing like Joffrey, Tywin is gone and Cersei seems to be making a colossal mess that will come back to bite her in the end, even the wildlings are potentially teaming up and they were significant villains before. Daenerys seems to be going a bit mad but I can't see her becoming a major villain.

Walder Frey and Theon's dad are still out there. Maybe Littlefinger's end game approaches. Or the Sparrows. Lots of guys around that can still cause major trouble.

boxter432

Walder Frey and Theon's dad are still out there. Maybe Littlefinger's end game approaches. Or the Sparrows. Lots of guys around that can still cause major trouble.

can't wait to see how Walder Filch gets f'd up. angered the old gods by killing the starks after breaking bread/eating/drinking together whatever the rule is.

Except they'll probably be pretty reluctant to give it to someone who came to their land, murdered their people and planned to kidnap Myrcella. Then again, if they didn't show up then and there the Sands might have chopped her up as planned, so who knows.

ASIS

Honestly, that trio of girls, hell, even Oberyn's girlfriend/fuckfriend/wife, can all get killed as soon as possible and nobody would shed a tear for them. Maybe even be glad of that. But I'm assuming they still have a role to play, or else the writers wouldn't have bothered with them at all.
yeah.. dorne's development took a very different turn from what I was expecting. the revenge part is very misguided.

also, the fight scene last episode still grinds my gears. it's not even a out terrible directing, it's the whole motive. if I get this correctly:

1. the Sand snakes are well known in the castle, there's no reason for them to hide their faces.

2. if they are well known they could have tried to lure marcylla OUTSIDE the castle by either brefiending her or something, or any strategy but not straight out murder in a castle filled by guards.

it's all very strange, overall a very weak storyline with zero political intrigue.

Except they'll probably be pretty reluctant to give it to someone who came to their land, murdered their people and planned to kidnap Myrcella. Then again, if they didn't show up then and there the Sands might have chopped her up as planned, so who knows.

yeah about that...

"you are coming with me"
*holds (poisoned?) dagger in one hand while dragging away the assassination target with the other hand*
Just kill her wtf

Prine

Banned
Stannis gains supporters every day it seems. I remember a lot of people not liking him but this season has really turned the tides.

Cue the white walkers!

Indeed, next major villains are the WW i imagine. I also feel Stannis will take the north, only to fall before the WW. They will come a tear everyone down, even him :( imo

Vashetti

Banned
N2BCbac.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7xO5P3Az4

Ozium

I think Bronn is fine. Based on what we've seen the sand snakes are completely inept. They probably didn't even use poison.

Curufinwe

I've been avoiding this thread due to fatigue over the 'scandal' so I may have missed a lot, but I don't think Dany's family was evil? Just her dad

Ser Barristan called Rhaegar the greatest man he ever met. I mean, he did 'kidnap' lyanna, but that is probably because he knocked her up. Viserys wasn't evil, just arrogant and obsessed. He was no more evil than, say, Tywin

I disagree. He told his own sister he'd let all Drogo's men and their horses rape her if it would get him an army.

Ushay

Imagine if Stannis is on the verge of defeat and about to be killed and then Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale show up to kill the victor but then Jon Snow and his army of thousands of wildlings show up to save the day and defeat the evil Littlefinger and the Boltons and some of the good guys actually live. I know in any other show this would be a standard TV trope and predictable and expected but because we are so used to the bad guys winning and the good guys dying this would actually be surprising and an unexpected change of events.

People thought the cliche good guy being saved at the last moment would happen with Ned, but it didn't. Then there was the Red Wedding and Oberyn, so maybe since everyone expects Stannis to win in the show and so obviously you'd think he wouldn't as a viewer since it's too obvious for Stannis to win but it turns out the writers knew you were thinking that so decided to have Stannis win since it wasn't expected or predictable.and would be a shocking twist since we thought it was too obvious in the show he'd win so of course the Boltons would seem like the victors.

I'd like to see a four way battle between Stannis,The Boltons, The Vale and Litllefinger, and Jon Snow and the Wildlings since people are saying they saved the budget for episode 9 and the inevitable battle of Winterfell since people seem to think other places and parts of the season had a low production value.

I think the Boltons have a plan. Even though they have less men, Roose told Ramsey to help him win this battle and Ramsey had that knowing, evil grin and said yes like they had some evil plan like the wildfire to stop Stannis and compensate for their fewer men. But Melissendre (sic?) is there and she made an emphasis on making sure Stannis took her this time and he said yes and brought her along so I think that will have some importance and she can use her magic to save the day and stop whatever plan the Boltons have. It would be a twist if their evil sabotage plan was something like wildfire that could be discovered and stopped before they even used it by the Red Woman, and pleasantly surprising.

The Boltons are screwed either way. It wouldn't make sense for them to make it out of this alive, it would be a pointless Miracle for the bad guys when everyone hates them and wants them dead. The entire North hates him. The people in Winterfell loyal to the Starks that want to help Sansa hate him. Brienne hates him for killing Cat. Jon Snow hates him and his wildlings may help him fight them if they join him. Stannis is coming to put his head on a pike according to Stannis himself. Cersei hates him and Littlefinger hates him for killing Cat so she's letting him take the knights of the vale come and kill whoever's left. If Arya finds out they helped Walder Frey kill her family she'll add them to her list of names. Since the North hates him they will turn on him when he's weak and vulnerable and if he tries to flee Winterfell he has no one to turn to. Seeing as Brienne and people in Winterfell loyal to the Starks will help Sansa the moment she lights the candle, I don't see any feasible way the Boltons make it out of this alive with so many enemies and everyone hating them, it wouldn't make sense and would be cheap, bad writing and unsatisfying because the bad guys always winning trope is getting old on this show.

As long as Roose and his son die and the Boltons lose the battle and their power, I'll be happy. I hope Stannis and his daughter live too. Stannis would make a much better ruler than Dany.

The thing about Stannis is that he's a good guy, but he knows what needs to be done to get there. He upholds his honour and principles but isn't afraid to play any tactic to win. He's a tactical commander with proven experience, Roose won't have a chance. He's screwed whichever way he runs.

My only fear is Littlefinger rolling in to take Stannis' glory.

Vashetti

Banned
Amazing. Ygritte is ridiculously adorable in this, btw. Never her found her all that hot on the show, but holy shit.

I love how Mark Addy has a perpetual look on his face of not wanting to be there, which was obviously put on for the video, but still very funny.

Yes, he got scratched.

Didn't the mountain get his hamstring Severed? He needed a lot more work than just curing the poison.

Laughlin

yeah.. dorne's development took a very different turn from what I was expecting. the revenge part is very misguided.

also, the fight scene last episode still grinds my gears. it's not even a out terrible directing, it's the whole motive. if I get this correctly:

1. the Sand snakes are well known in the castle, there's no reason for them to hide their faces.

2. if they are well known they could have tried to lure marcylla OUTSIDE the castle by either brefiending her or something, or any strategy but not straight out murder in a castle filled by guards.

it's all very strange, overall a very weak storyline with zero political intrigue.

It seems like a lot of the intrigue is sort of gone this season, which is why I think it's been the weakest one so far.

Valus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqF9KRgyck

How grey worm destresses from battle. (no spoilers)

Was watching a bunch of old clips yesterday and totally forgot about Frankenmountain. I wonder when his role will become clear.

My guess: Loras demands a trial by combat and wrecks whatever fool he fights. Viewers are happy that something good finally happens, and Margaery gets all confident since no one can beat Loras and demands a trial by combat too, naming Loras as her champion. Frankenmountain shows up, tears Loras in half, and thus gets Margaery executed.

Amazing. Ygritte is ridiculously adorable in this, btw. Never her found her all that hot on the show, but holy shit.

I always loved her and this reaffirms that I miss her, so hot.

It's actually a decent song I guess. Nothing i'll go out of my way to listen to, but I made it through the whole thing without turning it off. Never knew he also sang.

Only watched the episode yesterday. Busy week but I heard about the rape controversy though I didn't know which characters it involved.
Spent the whole episode wondering who would get raped and was bracing myself for a scene like Irreversible.
Really shitty situation for Sansa but hardly a scene worthy of so much controversy.
Some interesting developments in this episode and a couple of lines that really made me laugh.
"One's choice of companion is a curious thing indeed" and "guess again".

My guess: Loras demands a trial by combat and wrecks whatever fool he fights. Viewers are happy that something good finally happens, and Margaery gets all confident since no one can beat Loras and demands a trial by combat too, naming Loras as her champion. Frankenmountain shows up, tears Loras in half, and thus gets Margaery executed.

Sounds very probable. That video is great. Seeing all the actors out of character always messes with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom