• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cersei doesn't think long-term. Remember her conversation with Joffrey early-S1, she just sees enemies.
She really is the least strategic character on the show. She beat Ned just by being a ruthless bitch with no scrupples. She might not even play checkers, just Connect Four.

Griss

Cersei doesn't think long-term. Remember her conversation with Joffrey early-S1, she just sees enemies.

Yeah. Her 'House Lannister has no rival' was another glimpse into how deluded she is. It's really incredible that she's Tywin's daughter. She has been fascinating from the start, but now I'm getting tired of her shit, to be honest. Hope she doesn't last the season.

Can Tommen rescind powers granted to The Faith?

I'm sure he could - he's the King. His word is law. But it's clear that if he does so, he will have to use force to disarm them. They gave him no respect on the stairs to the Sept, why would they just obey one of his orders?

Ushay

What do you think the big event of episode 9 will be?

Speculation:

- Big battle in Winterfell
- Dany's marriage
- Meeting Dany-Tyrion
- Shocking deaths in King's Landing caused by the Sparrows
- Crazy events at Hardhome

I hope Stannis crushes the Boltons, but knowing Roose he'll slip away like the rat that he is. This would likely be the best time for Sansa to strike at Ramsay. Hopefully things don't go as Littlefinger has planned either and Jon Snow aids Stannis somehow.

boxter432

What do you think the big event of episode 9 will be?

Speculation:

- Big battle in Winterfell
- Dany's marriage
- Meeting Dany-Tyrion
- Shocking deaths in King's Landing caused by the Sparrows
- Crazy events at Hardhome

well the names of the episodes confuse me a bit. (not sure if we need spoilers for episode names...
"The Gift" is next week. that's the northern land near the wall right?
"Hardhome" is ep 8
"The Dance of Dragons" does this imply a more Dany-centric episode? or Ice dragons? or Jon learning he's a Targaryen if that rumor is true?

And what would happen after Theon takes care of Sansa in a castle full of Bolton's armed men and dogs who can sniffle them miles away? What would happen to Sansa? And is Theon actually able to take on Ramsay? Dude fought a dozen men bare naked and is a psycho who sure as hell can take a bunch of hits. Then there is the psychological barrier between those two.

I mean I'm pretty sure that Theon didn't want to see that happening to Sansa, but what a bunch of people forget is that he's still a broken man in a hostile environment that can wipe him away. Him being able to kill Ramsay and then successfully escape with Sansa or allowing her to escape - this would have been bad writing because it doesn't fit with the current situation of the characters and the environment they're in.

Let's not forget about the candle Sansa can lit in the highest tower. God knows what that triggers.

So Brienne's conversation with that old guy from winterfell, triggered that old lady telling Sansa that she isn't alone and that she should lit a candle if she ever is in extreme danger...

I don't remember the order of this events. I just imagined that the people of Winterfell would help her in some way, but Brienne makes more sense. Podrick should be a factor now that he is training :).

I didn't find the rape shocking, but Ramsay making Theon watch was shocking.
I thought he was gonna let Reek tap Sansa first tbh... But then you know.
mjcry1.png

Griss

well the names of the episodes confuse me a bit. (not sure if we need spoilers for episode names...
"The Gift" is next week. that's the northern land near the wall right?
"Hardhome" is ep 8
"The Dance of Dragons" does this imply a more Dany-centric episode? or Ice dragons? or Jon learning he's a Targaryen if that rumor is true?

Episode title
"The Gift" could also refer to death, as Jaqen H'gar keeps saying 'There is only one god, and all men know his gift' or something similar - meaning that god is death and that death is a gift (as far as I can tell). So it could be an Arya episode. Maybe she gives Meryn a nice 'present'.

I hope Stannis crushes the Boltons, but knowing Roose he'll slip away like the rat that he is. This would likely be the best time for Sansa to strike at Ramsay. Hopefully things don't go as Littlefinger has planned either and Jon Snow aids Stannis somehow.

Imagine if Stannis is on the verge of defeat and about to be killed and then Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale show up to kill the victor but then Jon Snow and his army of thousands of wildlings show up to save the day and defeat the evil Littlefinger and the Boltons and some of the good guys actually live. I know in any other show this would be a standard TV trope and predictable and expected but because we are so used to the bad guys winning and the good guys dying this would actually be surprising and an unexpected change of events.

People thought the cliche good guy being saved at the last moment would happen with Ned, but it didn't. Then there was the Red Wedding and Oberyn, so maybe since everyone expects Stannis to win in the show and so obviously you'd think he wouldn't as a viewer since it's too obvious for Stannis to win but it turns out the writers knew you were thinking that so decided to have Stannis win since it wasn't expected or predictable.and would be a shocking twist since we thought it was too obvious in the show he'd win so of course the Boltons would seem like the victors.

I'd like to see a four way battle between Stannis,The Boltons, The Vale and Litllefinger, and Jon Snow and the Wildlings since people are saying they saved the budget for episode 9 and the inevitable battle of Winterfell since people seem to think other places and parts of the season had a low production value.

I think the Boltons have a plan. Even though they have less men, Roose told Ramsey to help him win this battle and Ramsey had that knowing, evil grin and said yes like they had some evil plan like the wildfire to stop Stannis and compensate for their fewer men. But Melissendre (sic?) is there and she made an emphasis on making sure Stannis took her this time and he said yes and brought her along so I think that will have some importance and she can use her magic to save the day and stop whatever plan the Boltons have. It would be a twist if their evil sabotage plan was something like wildfire that could be discovered and stopped before they even used it by the Red Woman, and pleasantly surprising.

The Boltons are screwed either way. It wouldn't make sense for them to make it out of this alive, it would be a pointless Miracle for the bad guys when everyone hates them and wants them dead. The entire North hates him. The people in Winterfell loyal to the Starks that want to help Sansa hate him. Brienne hates him for killing Cat. Jon Snow hates him and his wildlings may help him fight them if they join him. Stannis is coming to put his head on a pike according to Stannis himself. Cersei hates him and Littlefinger hates him for killing Cat so she's letting him take the knights of the vale come and kill whoever's left. If Arya finds out they helped Walder Frey kill her family she'll add them to her list of names. Since the North hates him they will turn on him when he's weak and vulnerable and if he tries to flee Winterfell he has no one to turn to. Seeing as Brienne and people in Winterfell loyal to the Starks will help Sansa the moment she lights the candle, I don't see any feasible way the Boltons make it out of this alive with so many enemies and everyone hating them, it wouldn't make sense and would be cheap, bad writing and unsatisfying because the bad guys always winning trope is getting old on this show.

As long as Roose and his son die and the Boltons lose the battle and their power, I'll be happy. I hope Stannis and his daughter live too. Stannis would make a much better ruler than Dany.

This kind of answers annoy me.

What makes you think people who laugh at the mutilation are the same that didn't like the rape scene? The opposite is more likely.

Its not about the exact people being outraged or not, its about the, what feels like, thousands of angry watchers who only now appear to be shocked of the harsh nature of game of thrones-reality, since there were no similar "shitstorms" for any other scene in got.

mantidor

Its not about the exact people being outraged or not, its about the, what feels like, thousands of angry watchers who only now appear to be shocked of the harsh nature of game of thrones-reality, since there were no similar "shitstorms" for any other scene in got.

From what I've been told there have been shitstorms, the difference is that now the show's bigger than ever.

MikeyB

My guess: Tommen's regime will be toppled by the faith. They'll stoke the flames of "abomination" and "bastard" and put blacksmith-rower on the throne as a puppet.

Stannis and Boltons battle it out on the field. Before Stannis takes Winterfell, Littlefinger has the gates opened for him.

The wildlings descend on... Dorne. Why not?

Arya kills Janos Slynt in Bravos.

boxter432

My guess: Tommen's regime will be toppled by the faith. They'll stoke the flames of "abomination" and "bastard" and put blacksmith-rower on the throne as a puppet. who?....oh Gendry...where is that dude?

Stannis and Boltons battle it out on the field. Before Stannis takes Winterfell, Littlefinger has the gates opened for him. by who? LF is definitely coming, not sure his plan though, I assume to wait until both armies are as decimated as possible, but not sure if he'd aid either of them or just try to take over

The wildlings descend on... Dorne. Why not? well I guess Jon has a few Stannis' ships, but...why? tis so far!

Arya kills Janos Slynt in Bravos.Janos is already headless!
added some notes in italics

I think the Boltons have a plan. Even though they have less men, Roose told Ramsey to help him win this battle and Ramsey had that knowing, evil grin and said yes like they had some evil plan like the wildfire to stop Stannis and compensate for their fewer men. But Melissendre (sic?) is there and she made an emphasis on making sure Stannis took her this time and he said yes and brought her along so I think that will have some importance and she can use her magic to save the day and stop whatever plan the Boltons have. It would be a twist if their evil sabotage plan was something like wildfire that could be discovered and stopped before they even used it by the Red Woman, and pleasantly surprising.

For once, I soooo want Melissendre to use her fucked up magic. Just to see the Boltons' faces.

But I fear it will come at the cost of Stannis's daughter (king's blood) :(
The wife will sacrifice her and Stannis will only find out after he won the battle.

(though in this clusterfuck I will only really root for Stannis to survive TBH)

The Bolton's days are numbered. Whether Stannis defeats them in battle, Sansa and Theon kill them, LF kills them, they aren't going to last. Only problem is, who will the major villains be when they meet their inevitable demise? There aren't many main villain characters left at this point, Tommen is nothing like Joffrey, Tywin is gone and Cersei seems to be making a colossal mess that will come back to bite her in the end, even the wildlings are potentially teaming up and they were significant villains before. Daenerys seems to be going a bit mad but I can't see her becoming a major villain.

For once, I soooo want Melissendre to use her fucked up magic. Just to see the Boltons' faces.

But I fear it will come at the cost of Stannis's daughter (king's blood) :(
The wife will sacrifice her and Stannis will only find out after he won the battle.

(though in this clusterfuck I will only really root for Stannis to survive TBH)

I thought about that too and wondered if she would sacrifice his daughter since Melissendre told Stannis' wife that her daughter would be needed in the coming days and future events to come and figured she'd be a sacrifice and Melissendre told Stannis after she saw her vision of him sitting in the Iron Throne that he would sit on the Throne (don't know if she said he'd be king though) but at great cost because he would betray his friends and family and everyone he holds dear to sit on the Throne, and he already almost iced Davos and her prophecy says he will betray people close to him so I could see that happening.

Her vision she showed him in the fire of a great battle in the ice and snow (whether this was the battle with the wildlings at the wall or south of the wall in the battle in winterfell coming up I'm not sure) with Stannis winning and victorious either already came true if it was the battle at the wall or will come true if he is victorious at winterfell, unless Stannis wins for a moment and all seems great and won and victorious but then Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale come through and lop his head off because the lord of light was trolling them and only showed part of the vision in the fire when Stannis seems victorious and alive but then the next thing that happens that the vision cuts off is littlefinger and his vale knights coming through and killing them all, please don't sadistically troll us GRRM and D and D!

Melissendre can't die because I think she had a vision that she would meet and see Arya again who is all the way on the other side of the world in Bravos and can't get there in time to kill her but she's on her list so the Red Woman has to live long enough to meet her again.

Kind of wish Davos let her sacrifice Gendry even if that's kind of evil, because with the sacrifice of King's blood who knows how much that would have helped Stannis and his cause. Gendry will probably be able to wrestle/throw dragons by the time he gets back since his arms will be so big from rowing so long. Rather Gendry die to help Stannis achieve victory than his daughter. But there's no point to bring her back and have those emotional scenes with Stannis unless she dies and is sacrificed or flayed alive by the Boltons or worse! :(

Stannis loves his daughter though, so he would hopefully never willingly sacrifice her even if the vision did say he'd betray people close to him, or else that speech to him about her being his daughter and him loving her was bunk. I think he was just awkward when he was hugging her as he is not very emotional, hopefully he doesn't know what's going to happen and not going to do anything and hopefully that's not why he was awkward and hesitant hugging her. I guess the mother could do it without his consent though.

Does anyone know how many men the Boltons and Stannis have? I know the Bolton's are supposed to have a small army and Littlefinger may have been honest/right when he said Stannis had more men, but how many does each side have? He said he had 4000 at the Iron Bank in Bravos, and then he took somewhere between 2-3000 north of the wall to fight Mance's wildlings I believe, and he suffered minimal casualties, so he only has about 2-4000 men and Roose has even less? How can he take King's Landing with that? Maybe help from the Wildlings or a double crossing LF that betrays Cersei and allies with Stannis?

If you think about it, Davos screwed over Stannis at least twice and stopped him from getting the throne too. He stopped Stannis from sacrificing Gendry and whatever magic gains that would give him and any advantages in the war, and since he convinced Stannis to not bring Melissendre to Blackwater she couldn't stop the wildfire that destroyed his fleet and decimated his army. Davos, you'll end up being the end of Stannis.

He'll probably try and stop his wife and Red Lady from killing his daughter too, the question is, will Stannis find out if he doesn't already know, and will he try and stop it or betray her and let her be sacrificed to turn the tides of a hopeless battle with a magic victory? Stannis insisted to Davos he bring all three of them because he didn't trust the rapist murderers and thieves at the wall, but was there another reason...?

If Both Stannis and his daughter live to the end of the season and he wins the battle of winterfell I'll be happy.

Metroxed

Maybe the White Walkers will finally take their position as final enemies. Assuming there will be seven seasons, the time is coming for that to happen.

The Bolton's days are numbered. Whether Stannis defeats them in battle, Sansa and Theon kill them, LF kills them, they aren't going to last. Only problem is, who will the major villains be when they meet their inevitable demise? There aren't many main villain characters left at this point, Tommen is nothing like Joffrey, Tywin is gone and Cersei seems to be making a colossal mess that will come back to bite her in the end, even the wildlings are potentially teaming up and they were significant villains before. Daenerys seems to be going a bit mad but I can't see her becoming a major villain.

I reckon at some point winter will come and the white walkers will be the main villains.

Edit: beaten again.

Can you imagine if the show ran out of villains? And it just became good guys killing good guys for the throne? That'd be kinda messed up. Arya vs Stannis' scale daughter. Fight to the death!

Griss

I was going to say Daenarys until I saw you covered her. But these things start small, man. Some reasons why it could happen:
a) She'd be the most well-developed villain in TV history, and would make the end-game fascinating;
b) There's been plenty of foreshadowing if it goes that way; her family is evil and she has done some vicious things and suffered terribly; and
c) It would really fucking upset a lot of people - which GRRM and the show's runners seem to love to do.

Probably more likely that Jon and Dany ally in the end, but Dany going closer to mad queen or evil queen status after the total collapse of Mereen would be far more interesting.

If Shireen is taken to be sacrificed, Onion Knight will most assuredly cause an earthquake, possibly take out Melly himself.

Stannis is obsessed with the throne but he also loves his daughter but since this is GoT he probably loves the throne more. Davos will try to appeal to his better side. If all else fails, maybe he will go to Mereen and side with Dany?

Can you imagine if the show ran out of villains? And it just became good guys killing good guys for the throne? That'd be kinda messed up. Arya vs Stannis' scale daughter. Fight to the death!

The show won't run out of villains, I know that. But in Season 4 there were a lot, then they all started dying, and haven't really been replaced. I don't think we actually gained any new villain characters in season 5, unless you count the sand snakes and their villainous acting.

I was going to say Daenarys until I saw you covered her. But these things start small, man. Some reasons why it could happen:
a) She'd be the most well-developed villain in TV history, and would make the end-game fascinating;
b) There's been plenty of foreshadowing if it goes that way; her family is evil and she has done some vicious things and suffered terribly; and
c) It would really fucking upset a lot of people - which GRRM and the show's runners seem to love to do.

Probably more likely that Jon and Dany ally in the end, but Dany going closer to mad queen or evil queen status after the total collapse of Mereen would be far more interesting.

That...would be an awesome development.

Ferrio

Banned

I'm in the camp that she's going to go mad like her granddaddy. Jon + the remaining starks will pick up the pieces.

edit: Bit more in depth:
Dany comes to Westeros. At first seen as a good thing by some, but she becomes more and more obsessed about claiming the Iron Throne that it drives her mad. She's defeated, and Jon finds out he's Targaryen, and him + Bran learn to control the dragons. Using the dragons they fight back the white walkers. Jon becomes king, marries Sansa.

I'm in the camp that she's going to go mad like her granddaddy. Jon + the remaining starks will pick up the pieces.

edit: Bit more in depth:
Dany comes to Westeros. At first seen as a good thing by some, but she becomes more and more obsessed about claiming the Iron Throne that it drives her mad. She's defeated, and Jon finds out he's Targaryen, and him + Bran learn to control the dragons. Using the dragons they fight back the white walkers. Jon becomes king, marries Sansa.

That...would be a horrible development.

Aside from killing people all over town and sentencing homosexuals to death, you mean?

I thought Cersei was essentially forcing him to do it. Besides, he isn't the one killing anyone, and the High Sparrow himself is a man that gave away his shoes to someone that needed them. Compared to people like Cersei, Pycelle, Littlefinger he is definitely the better person.

Venture

It does seem unlikely but I love that idea.

Metroxed

That's... actually brilliant.

Sober

Man the worst part of the "outrage" thread is more about all those disingenuous posts more than the book spoilers about what was different.

I think it's wrong to say that since Ramsey raped Sansa on their wedding night, he basically took away all her agency from her. I think the follow through on that event is more important. Sansa still has her agency, granted it's different - it's not the same as Ramsey's, or Brienne's, or even Myrcella's - but she has it and whether or not they have her use it correctly rather than just wallow in sadness until someone with an army shows up to take Winterfell.

I think Sansa knew mostly what she was getting into marrying Ramsey, although I can probably assume she thought Miranda was trying to scare her off and didn't think too much of her threats. Besides that, I think for someone like Sansa, who has basically been threatened with sexual violence throughout the course of the show, if she somehow made it through unscathed, I'm sure that would've cause some outrage as well.

Also: the show doesn't necessarily need more villains, it just needs to do a better job of making characters we like feel like antagonists when we're watching a different POV of characters we also like.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't think Oberyn would, nor his brother and possibly the majority of Drone, but Ellaria is on a mission that really serves no purpose since Oberyn died a fair death, and if he wasn't an idiot he wouldn't have died at all.

It's still silly though.

Honestly, that trio of girls, hell, even Oberyn's girlfriend/fuckfriend/wife, can all get killed as soon as possible and nobody would shed a tear for them. Maybe even be glad of that. But I'm assuming they still have a role to play, or else the writers wouldn't have bothered with them at all.

Honestly, that trio of girls, hell, even Oberyn's girlfriend/fuckfriend/wife, can all get killed as soon as possible and nobody would shed a tear for them. Maybe even be glad of that. But I'm assuming they still have a role to play, or else the writers wouldn't have bothered with them at all.

Agreed, they're easily the most boring part of the show right now, actually the only part of the show I have no interest in. Ellaria is hot but besides that the story needs to wrap it up because it's garbage, and the 3 daughters are easily the worst cast actors on the show since the new Daario.

Who knows though, maybe it'l change and in the end we'll love them, lol.

UrbanRats

I thought Cersei was essentially forcing him to do it. Besides, he isn't the one killing anyone, and the High Sparrow himself is a man that gave away his shoes to someone that needed them. Compared to people like Cersei, Pycelle, Littlefinger he is definitely the better person.

Hitler also didn't *directly* kill millions of people.
He's clearly instigating those people to do horrible things, on account of his extremist beliefs.
Giving away his shoes just plays into his absurd fanaticism, in my opinion.

Hitler also didn't *directly* kill millions of people.
He's clearly instigating those people to do horrible things, on account of his extremist beliefs.
Giving away his shoes just plays into his absurd fanaticism, in my opinion.

In his second conversation with Cersei he says he never wished for the honour of being chosen as a representative of the seven. Personally I don't believe he wishes for all the horrible shit going down in Kings Landing but his soldiers are happy to do it. I don't think he can deny Cersei's orders either. Either way, I can see him turning on Cersei soon enough now Olenna's back in town.

Stannis gains supporters every day it seems. I remember a lot of people not liking him but this season has really turned the tides.

Cue the white walkers!

In his second conversation with Cersei he says he never wished for the honour of being chosen as a representative of the seven. Personally I don't believe he wishes for all the horrible shit going down in Kings Landing but his soldiers are happy to do it. I don't think he can deny Cersei's orders either. Either way, I can see him turning on Cersei soon enough now Olenna's back in town.

He may not wish for the horrible ship happening, but he still allows his soldiers to do it when in fact it could be done in a much less violent manner. Just because his words say one thing and his hands are clean, his actions say he's not a good person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom