• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was four years ago, and she had no means to do anything then, not in Kings Landing with no one around who supported her.

Sansa also had the opporunity to betray Peter Baelish after Lysa's death, but again she did nothing. She will always be a pawn, she can only choose who's pawn she wants to be.

11168394_861029053975153_1046002581600817729_n.jpg
Iwan needs some sunlight.

Man, that stupid outrage spoiled me on the last scene before I could watch the episode. Ironically, now the rape had less impact on me as a viewer because I expected far worse.

my 2 cents:

Obviously she is fully aware of what was going to happen and did not resist. She made a half-hearted attempt at stopping him by telling him how nice of a guy Tyrion was but it's not like she doesn't already know that her husband is a torturing sociopath (bath scene + Theon).

That's why she lashed out at Ramsay's sexfriend during the bath, she's no frightened and will do whatever necessary (for whatever goal she has in mind). She also saw through her game and she's just a jealous girl.

Anyone remembers Daenerys first season? She was raped multiple times by her husband. Somehow THAT was ok, wtf

I have the feeling Sansa has experienced so much psychological trauma, she won't be impacted much by martial rape (especially as it's so common in that universe). I could be wrong obviously but I think she plays the long con and that included getting it over with the marriage stuff. The scene just showed what she's willing to endure.

It will be interesting to see what Ramsay will do if he gets bored of her. Though in her case she neither wants to spend time with him, nor will she (or a possible baby) lose worth to him. They are married now but by killing her they will still lose support from the North.
It might accumulate to torturing her at which point Theon will step in (it looked like he almost snapped during the last scene), I'm sure of it. The whole season has hinted at that the only thing that impacts Reek is the thought of the same things done to him happening to Sansa.

anyway...
Littlefinger scene was awesome. That backstabbery! I really hope it won't actually end that way. Stannis defeats Boltons, Littlefinger defeats Stannis... I hope the Free Folk led by Jon will intervene in the last minute of Episode 9.

All those heads/faces... but I already expected that from the moment they showed the bodies. I just wonder if it's still magic or if they all carry a bunch of masks made of humans around at all times :p

The scene I really didn't like was the "trial". There was no evidence against Margery and they can think of tons of reasons how he could see that birthmark (don't they have to wash their knights or whatever?).
But the inaction of the "King" made NO sense to me. Sure, let's take your wife away to punish her. WTF. I know they presented him as the anti-Joffrey but COME ON it's just not realistic. Hell, the king's guard don't even have to wait for a command. Touch the queen, get fucked.
MEH. Don't like the cult thing anyway, at the very least they should have shown that those guys gained numbers, support and influence during the last seasons and not just plopped into existence (there might have been references I've missed but you know what I mean).

Sanjay

In the TV show does Sansa know what the Boltons did to her mother and brother at the Red Wedding?

Just trying to figure out why she would get into all of this mess, considering how she hates Theon so much for what he did to her two little brothers.

The scene I really didn't like was the "trial". There was no evidence against Margery and they can think of tons of reasons how he could see that birthmark (don't they have to wash their knights or whatever?).
But the inaction of the "King" made NO sense to me. Sure, let's take your wife away to punish her. WTF. I know they presented him as the anti-Joffrey but COME ON it's just not realistic. Hell, the king's guard don't even have to wait for a command. Touch the queen, get fucked.
MEH. Don't like the cult thing anyway, at the very least they should have shown that those guys gained numbers, support and influence during the last seasons and not just plopped into existence (there might have been references I've missed but you know what I mean).

Margery was very popular with the people because of all the aid she gave. She was even helping to make Joffrey more popular before he was killed. You'd think that the Sparrows would lose any support they get from the regular people when they imprisoned her.

In the TV show does Sansa know what the Boltons did to her mother and brother at the Red Wedding?

Just trying to figure out why she would get into all of this mess, considering how she hates Theon so much for what he did to her two little brothers.

She's trying to avenge them. This gives her future opportunities to make an attempt.

Volimar

Remember when everyone was up in arms about the sexposition? Good times.

Sophie Turner has really come into her own. She sold that last scene.

HoodWinked

i think if they spin the sand snakes as being an incompetent group of self delusion deficient assassins would be the only way they could redeem the sad sad scene in the water gardens.

Ferrio

Banned
i think if they spin the sand snakes as being an incompetent group of self delusion deficient assassins would be the only way they could redeem the sad sad scene in the water gardens.

Turns out they were never trained, just grabbed random weapons with some half cocked plan.

This might be a stupid question but is Theon actually going to do anything? I mean I think he will protect her, I hope he does, but why didn't he already do something when Ramsey was raping her, why not snap then? You can obviously see on his face he is distraught. That would have been a perfect time for Theon's redemption, but it kind of tortured the viewers who were forced to watch and scream "do something!" and see him do nothing.

Sansa is like a little sister to Theon. he watched her grow up as a little girl, Ramsey even mentions this. He obviously cares about her and doesn't want the torture inflicted upon him to happen to her, he may not care enough about what happens to him to do anything but seeing it happen to her should make him snap.

But why didn't he do anything then? It would have been the perfect time for him to have redemption and do something. If there was a breaking point, right then and there would have been the most believable. If he does something in the very beginning of next episode, why not do it at the end of this previous one rather than end it right there on that somber note?

I hope Theon will kill or torture Ramsey and save Sansa, I think he will, but why hasn't he already, it wasn't very believable that his breaking point wasn't already when Sansa was being tortured, but Theon must have been angry, and he hesitated and looked like he might cut Ramsey's throat with the Razor after rubbing in his face Robb Stark died last season, but he didn't have the balls. But now it's not about him, it's about Sansa, and preventing the horrors that happened to him from happening to her.

But unfortunately in this show, the bad guys win and the good guys often suffer, and that is probably why they showed Theon's look of horror on his face but not doing anything, unable and unwilling to try and stop this evil act. If Theon doesn't get his redemption and kill Ramsey by the end of this season, I will be disappointed. When Winterfell was being seized by him, Theon swore he would kill the Hornblower, who was Ramsey who was trolling him, so maybe Theon's oath to kill him is foreshadowing of things to come, I hope...

BumRush

I just watched the episode and started reading through this thread.

Umm, what else did you expect Ramsey Bolton to do to his new "toy"? Did everyone think he'd just gently lay with her?

I just watched the episode and started reading through this thread.

Umm, what else did you expect Ramsey Bolton to do to his new "toy"? Did everyone think he'd just gently lay with her?
I expected him to chain her to a bondage wheel to be honest. This is Ramsay, dude doesn't have sex like a civilized human being.

BumRush

I expected him to chain her to a bondage wheel to be honest. This is Ramsay, dude doesn't have sex like a civilized human being.

Right. The last 4-5 pages of this thread have been filled with people saying they couldn't believe the scene and how it was portrayed. If anything it was mild for Ramsey.

rhino4evr

A lot of people over reacted due to the fondness of the character. If this particular character wasn't well liked we would not have seen such "outrage" . It's amazing to me that after Ned getting his head chopped off , the red wedding, and all the other numerous deaths on this show, that this would be a surprise to anyone. This is game of thrones. This isn't an NBC sitcom.

Yup. I'm generally pretty forgiving of the dumb decisions characters make and little oversights in story progression and what-not, but that "trial" was woeful.

All Loris had to say was "Bah, you were in my quarters last week and saw me getting changed" or any of fifty other possible ways Olyvar could have legitimately seen said birth mark without implicating himself in an accusation of homosexual relations.

And nobody even checks for the birth mark anyway.

Then implicating Margaery based on the word of Olyvar...

Then to top it all off, Tommen just sitting there with all this hearsay.

Whole scene just felt shoehorned in as shocking plot advancement. Came off really amateurish.

LosDaddie

Banned
A lot of people over reacted due to the fondness of the character. If this particular character wasn't well liked we would not have seen such "outrage" . It's amazing to me that after Ned getting his head chopped off , the red wedding, and all the other numerous deaths on this show, that this would be a surprise to anyone. This is game of thrones. This isn't an NBC sitcom.

I finally watched the episode tonight, and I can't wait to read the GAF reactions in the other thread. I actually managed to not have the scene spoiled for me, and I thought it was fairly tame considering it was Ramsey. He's a sick dude.

Nibel

This might be a stupid question but is Theon actually going to do anything? I mean I think he will protect her, I hope he does, but why didn't he already do something when Ramsey was raping her, why not snap then? You can obviously see on his face he is distraught. That would have been a perfect time for Theon's redemption, but it kind of tortured the viewers who were forced to watch and scream "do something!" and see him do nothing.

Sansa is like a little sister to Theon. he watched her grow up as a little girl, Ramsey even mentions this. He obviously cares about her and doesn't want the torture inflicted upon him to happen to her, he may not care enough about what happens to him to do anything but seeing it happen to her should make him snap.

But why didn't he do anything then? It would have been the perfect time for him to have redemption and do something. If there was a breaking point, right then and there would have been the most believable. If he does something in the very beginning of next episode, why not do it at the end of this previous one rather than end it right there on that somber note?

I hope Theon will kill or torture Ramsey and save Sansa, I think he will, but why hasn't he already, it wasn't very believable that his breaking point wasn't already when Sansa was being tortured, but Theon must have been angry, and he hesitated and looked like he might cut Ramsey's throat with the Razor after rubbing in his face Robb Stark died last season, but he didn't have the balls. But now it's not about him, it's about Sansa, and preventing the horrors that happened to him from happening to her.

But unfortunately in this show, the bad guys win and the good guys often suffer, and that is probably why they showed Theon's look of horror on his face but not doing anything, unable and unwilling to try and stop this evil act. If Theon doesn't get his redemption and kill Ramsey by the end of this season, I will be disappointed. When Winterfell was being seized by him, Theon swore he would kill the Hornblower, who was Ramsey who was trolling him, so maybe Theon's oath to kill him is foreshadowing of things to come, I hope...

And what would happen after Theon takes care of Sansa in a castle full of Bolton's armed men and dogs who can sniffle them miles away? What would happen to Sansa? And is Theon actually able to take on Ramsay? Dude fought a dozen men bare naked and is a psycho who sure as hell can take a bunch of hits. Then there is the psychological barrier between those two.

I mean I'm pretty sure that Theon didn't want to see that happening to Sansa, but what a bunch of people forget is that he's still a broken man in a hostile environment that can wipe him away. Him being able to kill Ramsay and then successfully escape with Sansa or allowing her to escape - this would have been bad writing because it doesn't fit with the current situation of the characters and the environment they're in.

Crispy75

Yep. Any good that Theon does will be opportunistic and incidental. Redemption is too strong a word, cos I don't think he's coming back as a whole person.

I wonder, do people think that if Sansa had said no and wanted to go back to that Littlefinger would have actually done it?

That would have severely fucked up his plans. Would he just drag her kicking and screaming if it came down to it?

Jacob4815

What do you think the big event of episode 9 will be?

Speculation:

- Big battle in Winterfell
- Dany's marriage
- Meeting Dany-Tyrion
- Shocking deaths in King's Landing caused by the Sparrows
- Crazy events at Hardhome

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Speculation:

- Dany's marriage
- Meeting Dany-Tyrion

Obviously going to be the battle of Winterfell, they've been hyping it since the beginning of the season. I doubt we're going to see much of the rest of Westeros/Essos during that episode.

Khaz

Obviously going to be the battle of Winterfell, they've been hyping it since the beginning of the season. I doubt we're going to see much of the rest of Westeros/Essos during that episode.

yep, Winterfell may fall, and amongst Sansa, Ramsay, Roose, Theon, Stannis, his wife, daughter, Melisandre, Davos, Brienne, Podrick, many will die.

Margery was very popular with the people because of all the aid she gave. She was even helping to make Joffrey more popular before he was killed. You'd think that the Sparrows would lose any support they get from the regular people when they imprisoned her.

The first we see of the high sparrow he's giving out food and literally gave his shoes to someone that needed them. I imagine he and his crew have been giving aid to the people for a while now. What did Margery do again, visit an orphanage and give out leftovers from her wedding? Plus the faith militant at this point seem like the only check against the nobles. A commoner has no recourse against the nobles, but we see the militant punish corrupt officials (like the former high septim) and dole out a form of justice. If anything the Sparrows would be gaining support from the people.

Whitelines

Neo Member

Speculation:

- Dany's marriage
- Meeting Dany-Tyrion

After reading this it popped into my mind, DANNY MARRYING TYRION!

I'm very suspicous by the sheer fact that everyone is gearing up and aiming towards Winterfell that it's going to not happen, and theres going to be some kind of crazy curveball

Right. The last 4-5 pages of this thread have been filled with people saying they couldn't believe the scene and how it was portrayed. If anything it was mild for Ramsey.
People are mad at the writers for using rape as a tool to achieve character progression with female characters, one too many times. This instance was even worse, because the scene in question is arguably more building up Theon's character rather than Sansa's.

To be clear, I'm not one of those people, but I can see where they're coming from.

wiibomb

I'm very suspicous by the sheer fact that everyone is gearing up and aiming towards Winterfell that it's going to not happen, and theres going to be some kind of crazy curveball

I'm just wondering how much are we going to see in this season...sometimes I feel like there is too much building right now and we won't be seeing the big battle at winterfell on S6

There's no way Cersei doesn't get her inevitable comeuppance in the penultimate episode, IMO.

I'd guess that Stannis attacks Winterfell, Reek takes the opportunity to kill Ramsay (and probably dies because of it), and shit really gets out of control in King's Landing with the Sparrows.

Griss

Do you think Cersei has ever given a single thought to what she'll do next if she gets Loras and Margaery imprisoned long-term and Mace killed? I mean, it has to have at least occurred to her in passing just how fucked things could get without the Tyrells, right? The rest of the Tyrells probably ally with Stannis, and the crown has literally no more money to fund a war, and oh yeah you just fobbed of the Iron Bank so no chance of any loan (and they're backing Stannis).

What is her long-term goal? What is she trying to achieve? Why is she so okay with belittling and weakening her own son as king, putting him in danger and weakening her own power? I can't understand any of these things.

I wonder if we're supposed to believe that her alcoholism clouds her judgement.

UrbanRats

Stannis and Roose stare one another on the battlefield, their armies behind them; they start walking towards each other, slowly at first, then faster and faster.
It looks like they're about to charge at each other, but they come to a sudden stop, a few feet separating them.
There's a moment of silence.
Suddenly Roose starts laughing, Stannis follows shortly after, and raises his hand for a friendly shake, interrupted by Roose hugging him with vigor, sarcastically saying: "Stannis, you son of a bitch!".

This is my prediction, book it.

Vashetti

Banned
Do you think Cersei has ever given a single thought to what she'll do next if she gets Loras and Margaery imprisoned long-term and Mace killed? I mean, it has to have at least occurred to her in passing just how fucked things could get without the Tyrells, right? The rest of the Tyrells probably ally with Stannis, and the crown has literally no more money to fund a war, and oh yeah you just fobbed of the Iron Bank so no chance of any loan (and they're backing Stannis).

What is her long-term goal? What is she trying to achieve? Why is she so okay with belittling and weakening her own son as king, putting him in danger and weakening her own power? I can't understand any of these things.

I wonder if we're supposed to believe that her alcoholism clouds her judgement.

Cersei doesn't think long-term. Remember her conversation with Joffrey early-S1, she just sees enemies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There's no way Cersei doesn't get her inevitable comeuppance in the penultimate episode, IMO.

I'd guess that Stannis attacks Winterfell, Reek takes the opportunity to kill Ramsay (and probably dies because of it), and shit really gets out of control in King's Landing with the Sparrows.

I doubt Cersei will die soon, she's the only reason we even see King's Landing this season. What would happen next? The religious nuts takes control of the city and kill Tommen for being product of incest and the Tyrells for being gay/lying under the Gods? If that happen, they're going to drag this for as long as they can to have our share of KL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom