• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you serious

I get reminded of when Tyrion told Shae and Bronn the story about when Tywin paid a prostitute to pretend to be attacked by rapists and Tyrion rescued her and sexed her up. And Shae called Tyrion a fool for not realizing it was a trick sooner because sex is the last thing someone would want to do after an attempted rape.

Maybe not a strict rule for everyone perhaps and maybe the circumstances are different because of Sam and Gilly's history, but I couldn't help but be reminded of that when the scene played out.

Nameless

Has anyone thought about Gilly being raped and the next reaction as a thanks for not being raped to fuck another guy ?

It's pretty bad writing imo, know that I notice.

Wait. Wait. Wait. You're telling me the Wildling girl who was raped by her father constantly didn't respond conventionally to almost being assaulted?

And for that trope to hold true Gilly and Sam would have thrown Ghost a thank you fuck. Nevermind their relationship dates back to S2.

I get reminded of when Tyrion told Shae and Bronn the story about when Tywin paid a prostitute to pretend to be attacked by rapists and Tyrion rescued her and sexed her up. And Shae called Tyrion a fool for not realizing it was a trick sooner because sex is the last thing someone would want to do after an attempted rape.

Maybe not a strict rule for everyone perhaps and maybe the circumstances are different because of Sam and Gilly's history, but I couldn't help but be reminded of that when the scene played out.

Why do people keep comparing these two? Shae is not Gilly and vice versa, they were born and raised in wildly different circumstances. Logic to one might be insanity to the other especially considering Gilly was raised to fuck her father and give birth to more daughters so he can fuck them too. Think of how ridiculously insane that is "born to fuck her father and give birth to more daughters that he can fuck".

There should be absolutely no reason to compare these two scenes, because if that's the case why not bring up rape as a fantasy, because as fucked up as that seems, it exists. But there's no reason to because GoT is fiction and an incredibly different universe than the one we're used to living in.

Ithil

nC5ekua.gif

This woman deserves an Emmy!

Two Emmys.

Volimar

Even without the breasts the scene was incredibly seductive. It really displayed the cunning of the Sand Snakes. I'm actually interested in where they take them now as opposed to their more lackluster scenes.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

It wasn't just simple sex for either of them.
This is the moment where we see that Sam is willing to go against the rules of The Night's Watch for Gilly and it's the moment where their relationship starts. Because of Sam's vows, their relationship up until that moment couldn't be a romantic one. It now is.

But lazy writing or whatever.

[edit]

And why is using a trope now considered lazy writing? Every single piece of media uses tropes.
One of the things GoT gets praised for is that anyone in the show can die, even the main character but that's also a trope.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnyoneCanDie
Poison and antidote?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CarryingTheAntidote
Everything is a trope. You'd be hard pressed not to be able to apply a trope to every single scene in any show.

Portugeezer

Or maybe it was Sam that was giving Gilly some thank you penis for her healing his wounds...

but yeah, it didn't feel like that, but that said, rape and consensual sex are not remotely similar at all, so whether she fucked Sam after avoiding rape is irrelevant.

- Fighting pit scene. D is disgusted when it's some psycho killing everyone, but insert masked Jorah and she's suddenly way into the fighting pits?
Transalation: Complaining for the sake of complaining. It makes perfect sense that the fighters are shit fighters since it's preliminary rounds and the guy is weeding out the weak so only the strong can fight in the main coliseum. And that Danny not being up for people getting killed for sport while a champion KO'ing them without killing them impresses her and you're confused? Seriously...? Seriously?

If you want to complain about something is her having her dragons burn and eat people alive to make a point while being squeamish about people killing each other the next episode. But that also fits in line with her typical hypocrisy-like behavior and batshit crazy Targeryan bloodbline way of thinking.

These kind of complaints seem to be rampant on the forum this season (ie. don't make sense). There seems to be a few camps from this. Slow pace and forgetting season 2 & 3 were the same as this, actually getting tired of the show, expecting season 5 to be season 4 in terms of WTF-moments and hyperbolizing every event. I'm sure there are a few sneak book reader complaints to sprinkle into the mix. I'm totally ok if people don't like it, but some of the complaints here are total headscratchers.

brau

I watched it when you posted ;)

Thank goodness. :) LOL.
I like him a lot. He is a very interesting character. I thought for a second there he was gonna die. Would've been quite a shock at this point, or at least to go that way. Kind of fitting in some ways.

The thing that annoys me about the Bronn poison stuff in the first place is that it is established he has all this knowledge of Dorne (all of his blabbing to Jaime), and a ton of general fighting knowledge. He should have been well aware to be careful of being cut by Dornish blades and should have been nervous when he was slashed by the sand snake girl.

But he's alive so i cant complain

cormack12

Gold Member
Quite liked this episode. A lot happened.

Littlefingers speech, I saw only one other person mention it - but my immediate thought was Gendry was the 'gift'. I think Cersei being imprisoned is just a coincidence. High sparrow even said that Lancel had been telling him everything for some time as well. He was just biding his time with Cersei. In fact, it looks like a clever play because the monarchy is now almost powerless. We saw how the poor and destitute were snarling at Tommen and the Kingsguard. Revolution is a very real possibility - KL hangs on a knifes edge. Gendry resurfacing wipes out the Lannisters claim and the Tyrells are back in prime seat.

Also I thought the shooting of the Theon scene was a little too over the top. The stoic march, the determined look on his face. There was no surprise when he opened the door and Ramsay was sitting there.

Aemon - I felt this was little pay off and a lot of screen time to a character that never really had the impact he should have. Brienne should know that waiting for a candle in a window is a stupid idea. She's surrounded by enemies and just expects that a timid girl will find a way to light a candle and get a plea for help out there - and what's she really going to do, march in there on her own and hack through the entire Bolton force? It's a bit odd to say the least.

Stannis and Melisandre - honestly, she has show so little real power, I'm at a loss as to how Stannis still trusts her. The Tyrion/Jorah scene was really good and I really want to see Danerys reaction properly and what it means for Jorah. I still think this grayscale disease has something to do with dragons, either good or bad I'm not sure.

Bronn was excellent as ever, I think they'll end up forming some sort of alliance. The enemy of my enemy and all that.

Volimar

Love Brienne, but I can't wait until Ramsay lights the candle in the tower window himself. You know it's coming.

That would be something. I wonder if she could convince the Boltons that she hates Stannis enough to let her fight for them and then use that to get close to Sansa.

That would be something. I wonder if she could convince the Boltons that she hates Stannis enough to let her fight for them and then use that to get close to Sansa.

She probably could, with her whole avenge Renly/Stannis the shadow thing. But as far as she's concerned Sansa not only isn't in harm, but she also doesn't want Brienne there. She's gonna end up getting caught in it with Pod.

I wonder how they're surviving out there in the hills with next to no shelter in the snow, probably a lack of food and water etc etc.

She probably could, with her whole avenge Renly/Stannis the shadow thing. But as far as she's concerned Sansa not only isn't in harm, but she also doesn't want Brienne there. She's gonna end up getting caught in it with Pod.

I wonder how they're surviving out there in the hills with next to no shelter in the snow, probably a lack of food and water etc etc.

I thought they were in some village or settlement just outside Winterfell?

Venture

Quite liked this episode. A lot happened.

Littlefingers speech, I saw only one other person mention it - but my immediate thought was Gendry was the 'gift'. I think Cersei being imprisoned is just a coincidence. High sparrow even said that Lancel had been telling him everything for some time as well. He was just biding his time with Cersei. In fact, it looks like a clever play because the monarchy is now almost powerless. We saw how the poor and destitute were snarling at Tommen and the Kingsguard. Revolution is a very real possibility - KL hangs on a knifes edge. Gendry resurfacing wipes out the Lannisters claim and the Tyrells are back in prime seat.
I don't see how Gendry would be any help to the Tyrells. He's just one of Robert's many bastards. That by itself doesn't do anything to delegitimize Tommen's claim. Besides, why would they want Tommen to lose the throne? That would mean Margaery is no longer queen.

This might have been the best episode of the season, even though Jon getting the Lord Commander title and cutting Slint's head is definitely the highlight of the season for me.

I know people are a bit aggravated that it's not as crazy as it was in season 4, but I am willing wait until the end of the season before freaking out. There are four storylines that better fucking get some sort of conclusion by the end of the season, or several scenes that could have been cut to fit these should have been. As long as these stories have some sort of conclusion, I am more than happy presuming execution is done well in the next three episodes. That's four big stories for three episodes. If one or two for some reason get pushed to season 6, I am going to lose my shit along as 60% of GoT GAF for spending time on other scenes that I enjoy but are nowhere near as important as these.
- Lannisters vs Tyrells vs Faith Army, who dies and who controls the power by the end of the season.
- Danny's storyline with the Harpies. Who is behind the Harpies and their fate being met.
- Jon's storyline. What I mean by this is we better have him get the Wildlings (if they are alive) and the story shows him at Winterfell with them, or them running from White Walkers or them concluding a fight against White Walkers.
- The war at Winterfell. Who reigns supreme by the end of it, be it Boltons, Stark, Littlefinger or Baratheon.

Now my predictions for them:
- At least one of the two Tyrell siblings will die, possibly both. My guess is Laures will for certain. Maybe a fight to the death with Frankenmountain. Cersei will be imprisoned or something bad will happen to her (not death) but her children will all die. Faith people to probably kill poor Tommen.
- Tyrion will use his wits and he will be the one to find out who the leader of the Harpies is. Because of this, Danny will realize that he is a good advisory to have especially since she's fucking shit at making decisions excluding war strategy.
- He goes at the other side of the wall. Finds Wildlings. White Walkers attack, Bran might help out in case Jon needs it (I know he's not supposed to be in S5). My guess is they run away from them, and White Walkers go towards the wall. This will convince the Wildlings that ran away with Jon to STFU and follow his lead for next season when they reach the wall. I expect these events to happen at episode 10. Sam gave him the weapon which means they have to show up and WW always show up one episode per season.
- Hard to predict the War at Winterfell. Can't predict most of it, so I'll go with what I want. Sansa kills Roose, gives him a "Lannisters send their regards", "The North remembers" line before she offs him. Ramsay is either killed by Reek or skinned except for his face by the time Stannis comes. If Sansa does this before Stannis comes, he thanks the red witch for her 'help' since they just walk in. Or nothing happens to his daughter going against the red witches plans, and fights the Boltons severely hurting his army, Sansa comes from the back with other Northerners and either Littlefinger kills him, or Brienne does.

My biggest problem this season is actually the way the story is being hinted at. Not sure if it's a combination of two scenarios, one being us starting to finally read GRIMM's writing style, but I have been able to guess too many situations in how they play out which doesn't happen. I feel like the show writers are turning this show into typical tv series in terms of non-subtle foreshadowing. Just a fucking shit job from the double Ds, get your act together ffs.

The other problem I have is budget. I totally forgot about Jon's wolf Ghost. Why is he a three second CGI moment? They got even more money than last year so fucking spend it. Inexcusable when I get the feeling they're saving money at some points. Regardless of these two issues, this season is still shaping up very well but will be decided post episode 10 of just how good it is. Danny is the most interesting she's been since season 1 and the North has been the most interesting in any season we have had so far in the show. The only weak storyline this season is Dorne, and I feel once again the double Ds doing a terrible job. I don't think it's the acting (so far) from the SSSnakes, just terrible writing and direction even though that last scene with the youngest one..

1388407001699417453.GIF

The other problem I have is budget. I totally forgot about Jon's wolf Ghost. Why is he a three second CGI moment? They got even more money than last year so fucking spend it. Inexcusable when I get the feeling they're saving money at some points. Regardless of these two issues, this season is still shaping up very well but will be decided post episode 10 of just how good it is. Danny is the most interesting she's been since season 1 and the North has been the most interesting in any season we have had so far in the show. The only weak storyline this season is Dorne, and I feel once again the double Ds doing a terrible job. I don't think it's the acting (so far) from the SSSnakes, just terrible writing and direction even though that last scene with the youngest one..

1388407001699417453.GIF

Winterfell is probably getting it's own dedicated episode for a full battle, like last season on the fight at Castle Black.

We'll probably see more dragon shit too, so those two events right there is probably where a good portion of the budget is going XD

Jackpot

Banned
People are confusing rape with sex. Yeah sex is a part of it, but its more about power and removing choice through overpowering force. That is opposite of consent and choosing yourself if you want to have sex or not.

But even the show itself pointed out how dumb the idea of someone giving you sex after rescuing them from rape was (Shae).

dLMN8R

I wonder if they're setting aside most of the budget for some crazy shit that's about to happen?

Here's hoping at least!

dLMN8R

Is there any chance that Jon could return with the wildlings by then? Seems like that would take way too long to happen though if Stannis is still stuck where he is.

mokeyjoe

And why is using a trope now considered lazy writing? Every single piece of media uses tropes.
One of the things GoT gets praised for is that anyone in the show can die, even the main character but that's also a trope.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnyoneCanDie
Poison and antidote?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CarryingTheAntidote
Everything is a trope. You'd be hard pressed not to be able to apply a trope to every single scene in any show.

Yeah, tropes are important in all fiction and beyond. People seem to have started using the term as a synonym for cliché, a neologism which detracts from its original meaning.

Winterfell is probably getting it's own dedicated episode for a full battle, like last season on the fight at Castle Black.

We'll probably see more dragon shit too, so those two events right there is probably where a good portion of the budget is going XD
I imagine so, however Season 4 always looked top notch and it had the amazing setting for the Purple Wedding, Oberyn vs Mountain and the battle of the wall. None of the other episodes looked like they were saving money. Most of the time it looks great don't get me wrong, but there's other times where I'm just looking and wondering why they have used those pockets. There's no way HBO didn't give them more money, they have every season.
If it's anything to go by the past 4 seasons, we're getting a resolution that leaves everything in even more disarray and question marks.
That's fine, as long as we get a resolution for all four storylines.

Tropes are fine when used. It's all about execution, whether it fits the narrative and if story elements are being overused.

But even the show itself pointed out how dumb the idea of someone giving you sex after rescuing them from rape was (Shae).

He didn't rescue her. The Dire Wolf did. Also Sam is a target. He could be offed at any moment and he almost was. It was more of a take the opportunity while it is there instead of waiting until you can't.

I wonder if they're setting aside most of the budget for some crazy shit that's about to happen?

Here's hoping at least!

Knowing nothing about the cost of these things. I wonder how much they spent on the Drogon shot earlier in the season when he came home to see his mum.

I bet the battle at the wall last season must have cost a shit load of money though. That was pretty amazing.

Road

I can't imagine what will happen if Stannis sacrifices his daughter. Fiery meteors will fall on the opposing army, at the least.

I mean, only sex produced an infallible assassin shadow; a little blood (supposedly) lead to the death of Robb and Joffrey.

Anyway, Melisandre is one of my favorite characters. She's always confident and the actress sells it so well.

I just don't understand why they need to kill her. A lil blood seems to go along way. Maybe the bigger the sacrifice the bigger the reward type deal but they never make it very clear why her or Gendry have to die.

iNvid02

he wont sacrifice his daughter, hes a good guy at heart. but i could see his wife going full lordoflightard and trying herself.

in any case, davos is there to talk some sense into the lot of em

effzee

I'm calling it now. Twist will be the mother who seems to hate her is really cold and trying to leave her behind to avoid her getting sacrificed. She knows what's about to happen and loves her daughter even though it seems otherwise.

Well at least that's what I wish would happen. Of all the horrible stuff we've seen, as a new father, I wouldn't be able to watch a child getting sacrificed. :(

he wont sacrifice his daughter, hes a good guy at heart. but i could see his wife going full lordoflightard and trying herself.

in any case, davos is there to talk some sense into the lot of em

I want Davos to finally say "fuck this" and go to KellC. Think about it. Varys, Tyrion, Davos as advisers? Dream team right there.

I saw this stannis red witch thing a mile away. I thought he would do it until that scene with his daughter the other night.

It almost makes me feel like he can't succeed. I'm not sure the writers would have the eventual king be a child killer, and he's not foreseen to win without great sacrifice per her words.

So either he sacrifices his daughter and the God of
Fire is a fraud or he doesn't and gets wrecked by the boltons for not listening to his right hand man when he should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom