• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
that warrior woman in the prison cell who kept saying "who is the most beautiful woman in the world" while flashing her tits was absolutely amazing.

overcast

Nudity is cool and her tits were phenomenal, but I do have to question the point of the scene. Was she inflating her own ego? We know Dornish are all about their sex, so maybe that's a part of what she considers strength? It can't just be to make poison spread quicker. Is she trying to get Bronn on her side? Maybe to fight together. Still don't see why flashing her boobs would make that any different.

:whew: tho.

Once Stannis follows the fire woman's advice, understanding that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, the Boltons are DONE. Ramsay will be skinned and burned alive. Roose will be skinned and burned alive. All traitors of the North will be skinned and burned alive.

Then they march towards the capital and it's game over. DONE. Sure...at this point Cersei will probably be dead due to her own stupidity, but whatever. Those crazy cultists will be skinned and burned alive. Also Margaery and Tommen if they're still alive at this point. Sorry, it's nothing personal. All loose ends must be tied.

One example of a loose end, Daenerys. Once Stannis has united the land, (wildlings too, I guess), she is DONE. The supposed "Mother of Dragons" is an idiot who can't control her dragons. And drunkard Tyrion, and stone skinned Fedorah Jorah will matter little.

Stannis is strong. Stannis is fire. Stannis is the One True King. I'm not even gonna mention the white walkers, it's game over for them. Stannis likes fire. White walkers don't. GG.

Not sure if your predictions are right but I love your passion! ha

Just a little question. Are there any good podcasts YouTube cast videos out there for people that hasn't read the books? I've seen links and so forth but too afraid to venture too much, are there some that Gaffers can recommend?

i keep struggling to get as hooked as i was with last season

sigh

last season had Arya + Hound nearly every episode

instant TV gold those 2 were

and well, we still had Tywin too which could own any scene. Then you had Sansa going all goth last season and looking amazing. You had Jon at the Wall which actually had something to look forward to with the Wildling army coming. You just had a ton more interesting things happening last season.

Brienne vs. Hound will prob go down as the most awesome fight in this show. Even better then Oberyn vs. Mountain. I can only imagine those fights if they happened this season.

i keep struggling to get as hooked as i was with last season

sigh

Season 4 was based on Storm of Swords, which is the best book in the series according to many readers. That book contained the conclusions for multiple storylines at the same time so that automatically meant Season 4 was going to be amazing and filled with exciting twists and turns. Season 5 is based on Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons, which are snore fests according to book readers. There are still shocking moments of course in those books but it is not as jam packed as Storm of Swords and has a lot of filler material.

Hopefully George Martin hasn't lost his touch and makes Winds of Winter and Dreams of Spring the best books in the series so that that these last 2 or 3 seasons are amazing and get back to the quality which were Seasons 1-4.

Wolfox6

Neo Member
Just a little question. Are there any good podcasts YouTube cast videos out there for people that hasn't read the books? I've seen links and so forth but too afraid to venture too much, are there some that Gaffers can recommend?

http://podbay.fm/
Just type in Game of Thrones in search, and a few GoT podcasts come up. I don't know which ones are just show watchers, but I'm sure they let you know in their summaries.
My favourite is featured at Watchers on the Wall, but there's always at least one book reader in the crowd. Wish I could be more helpful. Good luck. :)

King Hippo

Neo Member
Just watched a scene from Season 3, Episode 6: the Climb.
Where Arya confronts Melisandre. Skip to the end of the scene, about 7.40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2MGg_8TF9g

Never noticed that it foreshadows Arya becoming a faceless men. The Faceless Men music plays as Melisandre says that she sees different coloured eyes staring back at her when looking at Arya (the change of faces).
But I also completely forgot that Melisandre says "We will meet again." So it doesn't look like Melisandre is dying anytime soon.

Where Arya confronts Melisandre. Skip to the end of the scene, about 7.40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2MGg_8TF9g

Never noticed that it foreshadows Arya becoming a faceless men. The Faceless Men music plays as Melisandre says that she sees different coloured eyes staring back at her when looking at Arya (the change of faces).
But I also completely forgot that Melisandre says "We will meet again." So it doesn't look like Melisandre is dying anytime soon.

That's crazy. I completely forgot about this scene. How Sansa and Melisandre will meet again will be very, very interesting.

You would think when he went "There is no other side, just darkness", she would have been like, "Wait, back up a bit. You mean all of this is so I can spend eternity dead?"

Just goes to show that while the "gods" (and I say that lightly, I still think the gods are simply extremely powerful wizards from the ancient times pulling strings) exist, men have no place in their palace and are simply ants to them.

Ushay

God I hope Stannis, the true king, doesn't resort to killing his daughter. I know he needs to do it to win the war effort, but surely there must be another way. My bet is he will use his military cunning instead to win the day.

And_Boy

Such an amazing scene! So well done writing!

So far this season is very poor comparing to such scenes :(

bwakh

Did she also not say in addition to she seeing different coloured eyes staring back, "Eyes you will shut forever"?

Nibel

Watched some scenes again, and damn I think the acting is still fantastic. Dany and Cersei in sheer disbelief of what is happening to them is just very well portrayed by both actresses.

Please no more Danaerys bed scenes. They suck. Seriously, I respect the decision of Emilia Clarke to not be nude anymore, but it looks just stupid with the blanket when anyone else in game of thrones doesn't seem to give a fuck about nudity.
I don't know how anyone could respect her for this. I totally respect an actor to not be nude, I have 0 qualms and respect it. However for a show that has massive nudity, when you start to be nude and then say nooooo as soon as you become big enough, that shows shitty character (in real life, not in the show) from both Danerys and Margerie. I have little respect for people like that. Personally, I wish they would have just recast one of them when they pulled that bullshit and the other would have bent the knee to the true Kings, the double Ds.

Also Danny must be happy this season. She's no longer the shittiest ruler in Westeros now that a 12 year old that hasn't grown his balls has turned into a King.

takriel

I don't know how anyone could respect her for this. I totally respect an actor to not be nude, I have 0 qualms and respect it. However for a show that has massive nudity, when you start to be nude and then say nooooo as soon as you become big enough, that shows shitty character (in real life, not in the show) from both Danerys and Margerie. I have little respect for people like that. Personally, I wish they would have just recast one of them when they pulled that bullshit and the other would have bent the knee to the true Kings, the double Ds.

Also Danny must be happy this season. She's no longer the shittiest ruler in Westeros now that a 12 year old that hasn't grown his balls has turned into a King.

You serious bro? I think it's good that actresses have the guts to say they don't want to show their bodies nude anymore. That's a good thing.

MikeyB

I don't know how anyone could respect her for this. I totally respect an actor to not be nude, I have 0 qualms and respect it. However for a show that has massive nudity, when you start to be nude and then say nooooo as soon as you become big enough, that shows shitty character (in real life, not in the show) from both Danerys and Margerie.

Ew. "I totally respect people for not being nude unless they decide it after appearing nude." What if they hated the experience of it? The response to it? The objectification?

It isn't "shitty character" at all. It's recognising what they consider their dignity to be and acting accordingly. If the show runners had recast them because of tits of all things, the shitty characters would be the show runners who exposed themselves as trashy sensationalists.

I think Margaery isn't naked because she feels weird to be naked in front of a 17 year old, not because she signed a new no nude scenes contract.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: and yeah, I agree with the posters above.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
that Dorne sister might be the hottest in the series. I think she is right.

You serious bro? I think it's good that actresses have the guts to say they don't want to show their bodies nude anymore. That's a good thing.
I think that`s good before they get signed. Saying yeah I`ll do it until they become big enough, then saying says a lot about their character. I don't see what's impressive about going back to earlier demands before getting signed and changing things around. Anyone can do that.

What guts do you need to say no once they can't be replaced?

I think that`s good before they get signed. Saying yeah I`ll do it until they become big enough, then saying says a lot about their character. I don't see what's impressive about going back to earlier demands before getting signed and changing things around. Anyone can do that.

What guts do you need to say no once they can't be replaced?

uh...
you sound mad

She doesn't have to be naked if she doesn't want to. Get over it.

Ew. "I totally respect people for not being nude unless they decide it after appearing nude." What if they hated the experience of it? The response to it? The objectification?

It isn't "shitty character" at all. It's recognising what they consider their dignity to be and acting accordingly. If the show runners had recast them because of tits of all things, the shitty characters would be the show runners who exposed themselves as trashy sensationalists.
Give me a break. They easily knew what they got into, especially Margerie who I think did it in the Tudors as well. As for response and objectification and response is as poor excuse as any. They knew what they got into and showed their tits for fame and a great role. Once they got the fame and couldn't be replaced, they said no.

If Marg did it because of the 17 year old however, that's totally reasonable. For any other case on the other hand.

Give me a break. They easily knew what they got into, especially Margerie who I think did it in the Tudors as well. As for response and objectification and response is as poor excuse as any. They knew what they got into and showed their tits for fame and a great role. Once they got the fame and couldn't be replaced, they said no.

If Marg did it because of the 17 year old however, that's totally reasonable. For any other case on the other hand.
.....Really?

Also for the record I don't agree with anyone saying if you have your tits out you somehow lose your dignity because that's just silly but still...

uh...
you sound mad

She doesn't have to be naked if she doesn't want to. Get over it.
I'm not mad, just calling it what it is. I don't need GoT to show me tits every episode. But the idea that these ladies threw their tits out to get money, get fame and become more recognizable and then said no after a few seasons is some sort of respectful move is utter bullshit.

If someone said no to a GoT role because they had to be nude, then yeah, I respect the hell out of her/him.

EDIT: Didn't the actress that plays Danny play a musical where she also got naked? I remember a Lettermen interview and this was after season 1 or 2.

royalan

Maybe she just became frustrated with the greater expectation the show has of women getting nude?

I'm not mad, just calling it what it is. I don't need GoT to show me tits every episode. But the idea that these ladies threw their tits out to get money, get fame and become more recognizable and then said no after a few seasons is some sort of respectful move is utter bullshit.

If someone said to a GoT role because they had to be nude, then yeah, I respect the hell out of her/him.
I forgot Dany even had a nude scene honestly, you're saying she only got popular because of her tits? K

If someone said to a GoT role because they had to be nude, then yeah, I respect the hell out of her/him.

You just sound entitled and misogynistic.

People can change. Agreeing to something years ago doesn't force somebody to keep doing it. It doesn't matter why she changed her mind. If she doesn't want to do it, she shouldn't need to and certainly doesn't need people questioning her character about it.

MikeyB

Let's assume that you're right. If you're a female looking for a career and this show is an opportunity, you wouldn't do the same? None of the male stars had to whip out their wang even though Theon's dong is a crucial plot point. Name a single scene in which breasts themselves launched ships, rescue attempts, and put someone's claim on being the head of a house at risk.

If the actresses bared their breasts as price of admission and parlayed it into a more dignified role, then they played their cards well. I respect them for it.

mujun

The entire religious mania plotline is weird considering the power the crown holds through both military and the gold cloaks, and the assumed intolerance for insubordination, punishable by death if need be. Especially now that Cersei is locked up tight. Just give the order to cleanse the city of nutbags.

Yeah, I still don't get how they seem to have taken over.

Maybe they can't get rid of them without Tyrion and Wildfire.

Maybe she just became frustrated with the greater expectation the show has of women getting nude?

You just sound entitled and misogynistic.

People can change. Agreeing to something years ago doesn't force somebody to keep doing it. It doesn't matter why she changed her mind. If she doesn't want to do it, she shouldn't need to and certainly doesn't need people questioning her character about it.
These are some fair points. You two are starting to turn my opinion from a hard right to somewhere in the middle with these. Besides the entitled and mysogynistic part but hey..
I forgot Dany even had a nude scene honestly, you're saying she only got popular because of her tits? K
Would like you to twist my words some more? A nice way of conversing with someone. Especially with that condescending K at the end.

Griss

Funny, I had always assumed that Clarke had used a double or some digital jiggery pokery to get around doing those nude scenes in season 1. For some reason I just assumed they were altered.

If she was willing to do those scenes to begin with, then I suppose you can say that she has held the writers' creative vision to ransom if she's flat out refusing to do them anymore when the writers want her to, but it's her right, ya know? It's quite obviously her right to do that, and hardly a big deal.

And my own personal belief is that it would be D&D themselves who decided to clothe Dany up so that we can take her seriously as a leader. If all we were seeing on social media after every second episode was Dany's breasts and a lot of sexual comments then she'd be hard to take seriously as a character, and the news and feminist discourse would be 100% about her and the whole fucking show would be end up being dominated by her. It makes sense to cover her up, and I'd wager it's a creative decision.

The entire religious mania plotline is weird considering the power the crown holds through both military and the gold cloaks, and the assumed intolerance for insubordination, punishable by death if need be. Especially now that Cersei is locked up tight. Just give the order to cleanse the city of nutbags.

Does the Crown really have power at this point though? They have gone through the Mad King / Robert the Drunk / Joffrey the Terrible and now Tommen the Passive in the span of a few years.

The only power the crown has in regards to the populace at this point seems to be the guards that will kill anyone on command. There has been open rebellion amongst the populace not long ago. There has been 2 Kings assassinated in the span of a few years. There has been assaults on KL from outside forces. Tons of stuff. The populace is fickle at this stage toward the crown and doubt they would put up with a heavy handed king right now. I think Tommen realizes this a bit, and that if he just openly starts killing religious people that the populace look up to, it would not end well.

Let's assume that you're right. If you're a female looking for a career and this show is an opportunity, you wouldn't do the same? None of the male stars had to whip out their wang even though Theon's dong is a crucial plot point. Name a single scene in which breasts themselves launched ships, rescue attempts, and put someone's claim on being the head of a house at risk.

If the actresses bared their breasts as price of admission and parlayed it into a more dignified role, then they played their cards well. I respect them for it.
No if they did and had a GoT play in real life, good on them. I just find the idea of respecting them for it when they play the directors once they get power really weird, however. Still after reading those posts and mulling it over, I'm rethinking whether this could be either what I initially thought or what they stated, so it could be in the middle. It could be either or.

I'm pretty excited about this week's episode because KL got whole lot interesting all of a sudden. I'm thinking LF is gonna supplant the boy king with Gendry and the tyrells are gonna switch too. OR an all out rebellion breaks out as tommen orders his kingsgaurd to slay the Faith and rescue his family. Cant wait.

King Hippo

Neo Member
I think the upcoming war at Winterfell has made everyone forget about what truly matters. White Walkers have had a scene in every season so far; Jon is currently heading beyond the wall, and Sam was sure to supply him with dragon glass.

Can't control my hype for another scene with them.
If I was to take a guess, I can see them making an appearance in episode 10. With winter almost here, that will be a fine way to finish to the season.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Please no more Danaerys bed scenes. They suck. Seriously, I respect the decision of Emilia Clarke to not be nude anymore, but it looks just stupid with the blanket when anyone else in game of thrones doesn't seem to give a fuck about nudity.
Yeah I said the same earlier in the thread. Honestly, I am glad they have removed most of the nudity from the show, it was a little excessive in the early seasons, but in a show like this, if a scene requires the actress to clasp a sheet to their chest for the entire scene then change the scene because it breaks the immersion.

mantidor

The female nudes have always been so gratuitous is ridiculous, the only on that made sense was Brienne's, and even then it wasn't a frontal nude. The rest were bad, specially Igritte and Margeary.

Regarding Dany's Non Nude Scenes (or anyone's for that matter).

My issue with these scenes have always been how unrealistic they are. It's not very common to have sex with someone, only for them to immediately cover up. So for that reason, if Emelia has issues with being naked, or the directors don't want her nudity to overtake the message or moment, then the answer is pretty simple...don't have that scene. Act the scene outside of that setting.

And this show/story was built on sexposition. It's weird to not see it playing out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom