• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Stannis, proving to be a good guy. Death is certain.

Stannis? A good guy? Sure, the man is a badass war general, but I think that's warping people's perception in here to how unlikable he is.

He's a headstrong asshole who burns innocent people alive for not following a religion he only just converted to, maims his friends for doing the right thing, neglects his daughter and knowingly allows his wife to emotionally (and likely physically) abuse her, allows a witch he only just met to sacrifice people, and now he's leading a tired army through the Northern winter because he's fucking hard-headed.

I don't think many people find Stannis to be likable or a good guy at all.

Which is all the more reason he may just take it all in the end. lol

Overdoziz

Banned
Stannis? A good guy? Sure, the man is a badass war general, but I think that's warping people's perception in here to how unlikable he is.

He's a headstrong asshole who burns innocent people alive for not following a religion he only just converted to, maims his friends for doing the right thing, neglects his daughter and knowingly allows his wife to emotionally (and likely physically) abuse her, allows a witch he only just met to sacrifice people, and now he's leading a tired army through the Northern winter because he's fucking hard-headed.

Stannis is the one true king.

He also has powerful enemies. Assuming Loras Tyrell survives his incarceration both him and Lady Brienne have sworn to avenge Renly.

I hope you're joking about this part lol...

Whatever happened to The Blackfish? Obviously he's alive since he was lucky enough to have to piss out his wine right before the Red Wedding Slaughter so gods bless the wine I guess because they never showed his death onscreen and a very worried Roose Bolton tells Walder Frey in the aftermath that The Blackfish escaped and is worried and concerned he'll reach the safety of Riverrun and hold it in Robb's name so I'm assuming he's still alive out there somewhere but he should have made it back to Riverrun by now and if he made it there and was under the protection of House Tully someone should have heard about it by now and mentioned that a Tully was still alive and well and was still holding Riverrun and fighting back against them.

So many people mia this season. Bran, Rickon and Osha, Gendry, the Greyjoys, Benjen Stark, Umbers, The Hound and Syrio were never shown actually dying, The Blackfish of course, Brotherhood without Banners,and of course, Hodor!

Also didn't Bran say in a story that inviting someone to eat in your house and killing them under false pretenses of peace was some grave sin and that the old gods wouldn't forgive that, and then it immediately shot to Walder Frey, foreshadowing something that hasn't even happened yet? I hope he gets his soon!

Hodor would actually make a better king than most of these people, incompetent rulers the lot of them.

Watched the last two episodes today after, honestly, being a little bored with the season so far.

But, these last two episodes have swayed my opinion 180 and now I'm excited for the final three.

Still weird that they showed the beginning signs of greyscale on Jorah, and have ignored it since. I'm sure it'll surface again in the final three.

How would you guys rank the past seasons? I'm really liking this season, surprisingly.

For me its 4>3>1>2. This season included, so far its 4>3>1~5>2

sangreal

How would you guys rank the past seasons? I'm really liking this season, surprisingly.

For me its 4>3>1>2. This season included, so far its 4>3>1~5>2

Why so down on 1 and 2? For me it would be 4 > 1 ~ 2 > 5 > 3

1 was great because it introduced us to all of the backstabbing. Robert was awesome, Ned was awesome, the twist was completely unexpected, no recaps telling you what will be in the episode, etc. Oh, and Khal Drogo

2 will always have a special place for me because of Tyrion as hand of the king and Arya sparring with Tywin. Blackwater was also cool, as was seeing the iron islands and the army of the dead. Qarth did suck, but so do most Dany storylines

Season 3 had a lot of huge moments, but overall it was pretty lame. A lot of stuff that never went anywhere, like the brotherhood without banners. The highlights were the red wedding, and Dany at Astapor... but Yunkai was awful and the only good thing about John's story was when he was with Ygritte. Brienne and Jaime were okay I guess

I do agree that 4 was the best season (easily)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I hope you're joking about this part lol...

What's there to joke about? Stannis allowed the Red Women to burn Stannis' wife's brother and a bunch of other people for not wanting to worship the new gods. I find it hilarious how Stannis killing innocent people, and his own brother gets a pass, but Dany having former slave owners means she's insane. Also, people complain about Dany not listening to advice. Yet, here's Stannis literally telling Ser Davos to fuck off with his perfectly reasonable advice. Stannis killed his own brother through a black magic ritual, that came about through cheating on his wife. The whole "any service done in the name of the Lord of Light isn't sin" bullshit Mel spouts, is just that; bullshit.

Stannis is monster and a horrible person. I hope B finds him and runs Oathkeeper through his wretched heart. #ForRenly

Frog-fu

Banned
The only way Stannis gets out of this on a good note is if his crazy wife kills their daughter and Littlefinger doesn't crush him once he reaches Winterfell. Everything else will lead to a disaster.

If Shireen dies, I can't see Stannis losing. The Lord of Light would have his sacrifice and Mannis would presumably still get whatever game-deciding buff he needed.

Stannis, proving to be a good guy. Death is certain.

I think Stannis is righteous moreso than a good guy.

I think Stannis' actions make perfect sense in the context of the world they live in. He's a tried and tested battle commander, he knows from first hand experience how cruel the world they live in is. He has both suffered it and dolled it out.

As for the burning, horrific as it is, I don't think Stannis enjoys it or particularly wants to do it, but rather sees it as a necessary evil. Sacrifices must be made to win wars, including one's own principles. Neither Eddard nor Robb understood this, but Stannis does, and he lives by it, because it's his duty.

As for Shireen, I don't know the situation in the books, but her mother ignores her for the most part, and the one time she brought up beating her, Stannis said with finality that he wouldn't allow it.

Stannis is hard-headed, but it may pay off yet since this battle in the snow Melisandre speaks off was foreshadowed quite some time ago and is likely to be key in his ascencion. As for likeability, I reckon he's strong contender for the most liked character on the show going by the impressions I've gathered.

Metroxed

It is a great season, though. Slower than the previous one, sure, but you can't have action-packed episodes with main characters dying and shocks happening all the time. Season 4 was an exception, actually.

Season 5 has, in my opinion, a similar pace season 2 had.

That is, of course if she doesn't end up despising him for leaving her there and setting up the marriage. In which case, he'll have to fight to get it, lol.

There's no way Sansa will forgive him for the hell she's going through.
Maybe Littlefinger didn't foresee exactly to what extent Sansa would suffer at his hands but he knows perfectly well that the guy is fucking crazy.
In the end he only has his own interests in mind and he's putting Sansa through hell to achieve them.
Maybe in the end she'll come out on top and get her revenge and then he'll tell her that it was all necessary, but it will be ridiculous if she stays on good terms with him.

royalan

I think Stannis' actions make perfect sense in the context of the world they live in. He's a tried and tested battle commander, he knows from first hand experience how cruel they world they live in is. He has both suffered it and dolled it out.

As for the burning, horrific as it is, I don't think Stannis enjoys it or particularly wants to do it, but rather sees it as a necessary evil. Sacrifices must be made to win wars, including one's own principles. Neither Eddard nor Robb understood this, but Stannis does, and he lives by it, because it's his duty.

As for Shireen, I don't know the situation in the books, but her mother ignores her for the most part, and the one time she brought up beating her, Stannis said with finality that he wouldn't allow it.

Stannis is hard-headed, but it may pay off yet since this battle in the snow Melisandre speaks off was foreshadowed quite some time ago and is likely to be key in his ascencion. As for likeability, I reckon he's strong contender for the most liked character on the show going by the impressions I've gathered.

I agree that Stannis' actions make sense, and I agree with your reasoning. I just don't think that necessarily makes him "good." You can still do pretty heinous things while following noble principles.

As for my end, a lot of people I know who watch the show didn't like Stannis until the scene with Shireen...which now makes me almost completely certain that she will be sacrificed. :(

borborygmus

Does anybody else here think that Tommen would've been better off if Tywin was still alive?

Definitely. After Joffrey died, you could see Tywin wasted no time in beginning to teach Tommen how to rule. I think he asked him stuff like "Do you know what makes a good king? Do you know why your brother died?" over Joffrey's dead body. I could be wrong about whether it was literally over Joffrey's dead body, but that's how I remember it going down.

Definitely. After Joffrey died, you could see Tywin wasted no time in beginning to teach Tommen how to rule. I think he asked him stuff like "Do you know what makes a good king? Do you know why your brother died?" over Joffrey's dead body. I could be wrong about whether it was literally over Joffrey's dead body, but that's how I remember it going down.

You're remembering right.

Also agreed.

I'm pretty sure it was since everything was pretty much done either over or on top of Joffrey's dead body. Tywin would've kept Cersei's dumb ass on lock too.

I'm pretty every Lannister not named Tyrion would have been better off with him alive.

House Lannister is in shambles without Tywin.
Why isn't the fan base mad at Tyrion for dooming his family through an act of passion? I don't care that he choked out Shae, but he chopped off the head of his family. Granted Cersei's the one fucking it up, but he set the whole thing in motion.
And season 2 was the worst season prior to 5.
Season 2 is saved by the Battle for Blackwater and Arya's interactions with Jacquen and Tywin at Harenhall. Still a weaker season though.

What's there to joke about? Stannis allowed the Red Women to burn Stannis' wife's brother and a bunch of other people for not wanting to worship the new gods. I find it hilarious how Stannis killing innocent people, and his own brother gets a pass, but Dany having former slave owners means she's insane. Also, people complain about Dany not listening to advice. Yet, here's Stannis literally telling Ser Davos to fuck off with his perfectly reasonable advice. Stannis killed his own brother through a black magic ritual, that came about through cheating on his wife. The whole "any service done in the name of the Lord of Light isn't sin" bullshit Mel spouts, is just that; bullshit.

Stannis is monster and a horrible person. I hope B finds him and runs Oathkeeper through his wretched heart. #ForRenly
I was laughing at the idea that he should have stayed at Wall, the bold part in the quote. I can see from the pent up rage that Danny gets constantly shit on here that you couldn't see it though :D. Stannis does what needs to be done. He doesn't like burning people, I'm not sure how much he even believes in the Lord of Light. He just sees that it does help him and his cause, and he's willing to do shitty things to get his rightful throne. He's not monster (in this world). A monster would do those things for the sake of doing it or enjoy it, you know like Danny was when her dragons were burning then eating a potentially innocence man two episodes ago. Have you seen that episode? Is Stannis a good person? No. But in a world where people are shit people, I'll take him over others. The only decent human beings seem to be the Starks, and one of is faceless-to-be assassin that is all about death and another is bffs with one villain that crushes everything in his path from the shadows.

Davos was wrong when he told him to stay. They had no food to support them so how were they going to survive at the Wall? How? Especially since this upcoming winter seems like it's going to take many years to finish.

Danny is seen as potentially insane because she's an inbred Targeryen. They're known to be a batshit, crazy family. Her father was fucking insane and her brother seems to be going on a similar path sans the Lord of Light burning people tie-in (at least so far). It's pretty clear she's on a thin line between going to either the savior and hero to the villain of the story.

If Shireen dies, I can't see Stannis losing. The Lord of Light would have his sacrifice and Mannis would presumably still get whatever game-deciding buff he needed.
I meant for fans as well. People won't be happy if he burns his daughter alive.

Benzychenz said:
And season 2 was the worst season prior to 5.
Yeah, but this season has a lot more potential than season 2. Season 2 ending had pretty much.. the battle of KL. That's all I remember for the last three episodes. This has a Winterfell battle of Boltons vs Stannis vs Sansa? + Littlefinger?. There is White Walker fight possibly when Jon goes to the other side of the wall, Kings Landing will end with several big name people dying and I'm hoping something interesting happens with Danny and Tyrion before the season ends. Season 2 is the weakest overall of the four seasons, despite its rich lore introduced and added on.

Jayof9s

Why isn't the fan base mad at Tyrion for dooming his family through an act of passion? I don't care that he choked out Shae, but he chopped off the head of his family. Granted Cersei's the one fucking it up, but he set the whole thing in motion.

Because no one likes the Lannisters? I mean, they're likable to hate but I don't think a lot of fans are rooting for them to stay in power.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Maybe because the fanbase been cheering at Tyrion since the first season and hated how the rest of his family treated him? I'm sure most fans said "YEEEAH, GO TYRION!" when he finally killed his father. No one cares about Cersei except seeing how bad she can fuck everything up. And Jaime? Well, he's the odd one of the bunch. People don't know if they should like him or not. Been an asshole in the first 2 seasons, fucked with the Starks in the first, kinda redeemed himself in season 3, then there is the "rape" thing in season 4, and he somewhat returned to being a decent man later, so...

I feel like Jamie gets a free pass from his fans because of his good looks, his charm and how his his father and even Joffrey treated him with disappointment. The dude is a mass-murderer, even killed a young man who idolized him. Fuck Jamie.

I feel like Jamie gets a free pass from his fans because of his good looks, his charm and how his his father and even Joffrey treated him with disappointment. The dude is a mass-murderer, even killed a young man who idolized him. Fuck Jamie.

Jamie was pretty hated before he turned into a main character and we learned of his inner turmoils and demons.

You know, before he was properly characterized and fleshed out.

I think this is the first time in this whole thread I've seen someone say this season is great, lol.

This season was very slow and felt like they could've cut corners a bit. Also, there was one episode that was poorly directed. I think it wad the episode that was Arya-centric. Very dull.

But with episode 7, it feels like the VERY slow build-up is starting to pay off.

Maybe because the fanbase been cheering at Tyrion since the first season and hated how the rest of his family treated him? I'm sure most fans said "YEEEAH, GO TYRION!" when he finally killed his father. No one cares about Cersei except seeing how bad she can fuck everything up. And Jaime? Well, he's the odd one of the bunch. People don't know if they should like him or not. Been an asshole in the first 2 seasons, fucked with the Starks in the first, kinda redeemed himself in season 3, then there is the "rape" thing in season 4, and he somewhat returned to being a decent man later, so...
Hate the family all they want but they still allowed Tyrion to live to his current age, even Tywin said he wanted to kill him, but didn't because he was a Lannister.
Because no one likes the Lannisters? I mean, they're likable to hate but I don't think a lot of fans are rooting for them to stay in power.
Sounds like I'm going to be the only one mourning House Bolton then if they ever die.

I have a feeling Cersei will be out sooner than later.

Is the mountain ready yet? Tommen could say the word and bye bye Sparrows.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The family tree image made me remember that Benjen Stark and Blackfish are still out there somewhere.

Wonder when those guys will still show up.

My question is whether or not Trail by Combat is allowed under these Faith Militant rules

I remember Tyrion saying. "I will let the Gods decide my fate, I demand a trial by combat" or something a long those lines. He might have just said it for the hell of it, but maybe there is some ancient religious aspect to it.

Venture

My question is whether or not Trail by Combat is allowed under these Faith Militant rules
I wonder if that's even an option for cases that don't involve the death penalty. I could be wrong but I don't think any of them will be on trial for their life. Even Loras is probably facing some kind of public whipping/humiliation at worst.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wonder if that's even an option for cases that don't involve the death penalty. I could be wrong but I don't think any of them will be on trial for their life. Even Loras is probably facing some kind of public whipping/humiliation at worst.

You're sure? I mean, they did kill a bunch of innocent guys in that brothel.

I remember Tyrion saying. "I will let the Gods decide my fate, I demand a trial by combat" or something a long those lines. He might have just said it for the hell of it, but maybe there is some ancient religious aspect to it.

Yeah of course, that's the whole point behind it. Trial by combat is seen as letting the Gods decide the winner.

I'm not sure if the Sparrows have the same religion though, and if they do, I'm not so sure it's the same bransch. Trial by combat doesn't sound like something they would do.

Frog-fu

Banned
I agree that Stannis' actions make sense, and I agree with your reasoning. I just don't think that necessarily makes him "good." You can still do pretty heinous things while following noble principles.

As for my end, a lot of people I know who watch the show didn't like Stannis until the scene with Shireen...which now makes me almost completely certain that she will be sacrificed. :(

Yeah, I don't necessarily think Stannis is good either. Good is a strong word to use for anyone in GoT. Even Daenerys has come to execute others by fire.

Early on in his introduction I got the same vibe from people. I think that mainly had to do with the fact he appeared to be Melissandre's bitch and rather than making peace with the Starks, who most people were rooting for, he considered Robb a usurper no different than Renly, Joffrey and Balon Greyjoy.

After the Battle of Blackwater Bay I began to notice a change amongst viewers. Most notably last season when he met with the Iron Bank, and even more so this season in that scene with Shireen, which humanised him.

I sincerely hope Stannis stays the course of being a righteous man if not a good man. No good man burns his captives or dissenters, I agree, but surely a man as rigid in righteousness as Stannis must draw the line somewhere when it comes to the sacrifices he must make in order to fulfil his duties, and I'm hoping that line is drawn and goes uncrossed with Shireen.

Sheesh, just reading "if he burns his daughter alive" paints a horrific picture. I definitely wouldn't be happy with him and would stop supporting him altogether.

HS: A trial will be held for each of them to determine if they're guilty of any acts that might constitute a violation of the tenets of the faith.

C: Who will stand judge?

HS: Seven septons as it was in all trials before the Targaryens.

C: Will you be one of them?

HS: I will. If one or both of them were to confess before the trial Then they will be shown the Mother's mercy.

I think trial by combat is not an option in this kind of trial, as Gods are already judging via the septons.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I was laughing at the idea that he should have stayed at Wall, the bold part in the quote. I can see from the pent up rage that Danny gets constantly shit on here that you couldn't see it though :D. Stannis does what needs to be done. He doesn't like burning people, I'm not sure how much he even believes in the Lord of Light. He just sees that it does help him and his cause, and he's willing to do shitty things to get his rightful throne. He's not monster (in this world). A monster would do those things for the sake of doing it or enjoy it, you know like Danny was when her dragons were burning then eating a potentially innocence man two episodes ago. Have you seen that episode? Is Stannis a good person? No. But in a world where people are shit people, I'll take him over others. The only decent human beings seem to be the Starks, and one of is faceless-to-be assassin that is all about death and another is bffs with one villain that crushes everything in his path from the shadows.

Davos was wrong when he told him to stay. They had no food to support them so how were they going to survive at the Wall? How? Especially since this upcoming winter seems like it's going to take many years to finish.

Danny is seen as potentially insane because she's an inbred Targeryen. They're known to be a batshit, crazy family. Her father was fucking insane and her brother seems to be going on a similar path sans the Lord of Light burning people tie-in (at least so far). It's pretty clear she's on a thin line between going to either the savior and hero to the villain of the story.

Yeah, I don't necessarily think Stannis is good either. Good is a strong word to use for anyone in GoT. Even Daenerys has come to execute others by fire.

Early on in his introduction I got the same vibe from people. I think that mainly had to do with the fact he appeared to be Melissandre's bitch and rather than making peace with the Starks, who most people were rooting for, he considered Robb a usurper no different than Renly, Joffrey and Balon Greyjoy.

After the Battle of Blackwater Bay I began to notice a change amongst viewers. Most notably last season when he met with the Iron Bank, and even more so this season in that scene with Shireen, which humanised him.

I sincerely hope Stannis stays the course of being a righteous man if not a good man. No good man burns his captives or dissenters, I agree, but surely a man as rigid in righteousness as Stannis must draw the line somewhere when it comes to the sacrifices he must make in order to fulfil his duties, and I'm hoping that line is drawn and goes uncrossed with Shireen.

Sheesh, just reading "if he burns his daughter alive" paints a horrific picture. I definitely wouldn't be happy with him and would stop supporting him altogether.

I don't have pent up rage lol

Maybe I'm coming at this from a different point of view, but I fail to see what Dany has done to be 'truly" villainous. Let me explain. The Sons of the Harpy are being controlled by one or many of the noble houses of Meereen. Their goal is force things to go back to the way they used to be. Slavery is what they want back, and if the scenes from Volantis didn't reinforce just how monstrous that form of slavery is, then remember that these were the people who sent out a welcome mat for Dany that included children nailed to posts.

This is what she's fighting against, and the casualties are mounting. Yet no one amongst the nobles is doing anything to stop the Sons of the Harpy, and you know that they are being controlled and financed by one or more of these same nobles. Now Ser Barristan, one of her closest advisers, mentors, protectors, is dead. If Stannis burning his in laws can be waved off as making tough sacrifices. Then feeding one of these cunts to her dragons is more worthy of such dismissal than what Stannis did. Every single one of these former masters wants Meereen to return back to slavery. Why wouldn't they? They had all the power and control over the slaves. Now their cash cow has been freed by Dany. Heads need to fucking roll for the shit these insurgents have done. It's not some noble cause that they are fighting Dany.

She should do what Daario tells her. Line them all up and torch their asses. That way, any one practising slavery, including those cunts in Volantis, understand what's coming to them. So yeah, I don't see killing former slavers involved in a brutal insurgency against her, as being a villain.

As for Stannis. You guys remember Gendry right? What was it that Stannis said when ser Davos asked him he was really going to burn his own nephew? Oh yeah:

Stannis said:
What is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom?

Dude was ready and willing to kill his own nephew for power. If he suddenly changes his attitude when confronted with the sacrifice being his daughter now, it's a cop out. It also would prove just how full of shit Stannis is. It's ok to kill your nephew for the greater good, but your daughter is off limits?

Jarnet87

Yeah of course, that's the whole point behind it. Trial by combat is seen as letting the Gods decide the winner.

I'm not sure if the Sparrows have the same religion though, and if they do, I'm not so sure it's the same bransch. Trial by combat doesn't sound like something they would do.

i think the lannisters and the people of kings landing believe in the seven. Same religion but maybe the faith doesn't recognize trial by combats, guess we'll find out.

Dude was ready and willing to kill his own nephew for power. If he suddenly changes his attitude when confronted with the sacrifice being his daughter now, it's a cop out. It also would prove just how full of shit Stannis is. It's ok to kill your nephew for the greater good, but your daughter is off limits?

To be fair, Stannis had absolutely no emotional attachment to Gendry. He was just some dude he just met who happened to be one of his brothers many bastards. You can't really compare him to Shireen.

He (his shadow) did kill his brother though, and other family members who didn't believe in the faith.

I think trial by combat is not an option in this kind of trial, as Gods are already judging via the septons.

I'd guess it works in a similar way to Tyrion's trial, only with seven septons as judges representing the faith of the seven, and trial by combat is still possible. Not sure though.

In Game of Thrones lore there is something called a "Trial of Seven" which is essentially a trial by combat but with 7 fighters on each side instead of 1. The accused chooses 6 or 7 champions to fight for them depending on whether they wish to fight or not, and the accuser chooses 7 champions to face them. I doubt we'll see this but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom