• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

God damn that was an amazing episode.

So can someone fill me in on the White Walkers a bit and Westeros in general? I know that Winters last for years and so do Summers, but do White Walkers come *every* Winter? Or is this the first time White Walkers have been seen for a really long time?

Are Winters normally just difficult because of snow / cold, and this Winter is going to be potentially catastrophic because of the addition of White Walkers?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I am so glad the white walkers showed up and were an insane force that could wipe out all of humanity. I guess I predicted it, and as soon as the women told her kids she was right behind them I knew something was coming, but I was still in away. I guess we know where the budget and the fight choreographers have been. We even saw Bran albeit in flashback.
I thought it was going to be the other way around, with something destroying the boat the kids were on.

Arya will be going on a Westeros wide Stark family revenge killing spree. Jon Snow will join forces with Dany and Tyrion and her 2 captive dragons that she will outright tame. Drogon will run into Bran and he will control Drogon and fly to old Valyria where he will uncover a massive underground treasure trove room of Valyrian Steel and Dragonglass.

Season 6 has the chance to be good.

As long as LF doesn't fuck everything up ahyway.

Carl

So can someone fill me in on the White Walkers a bit and Westeros in general? I know that Winters last for years and so do Summers, but do White Walkers come *every* Winter? Or is this the first time White Walkers have been seen for a really long time?

Are Winters normally just difficult because of snow / cold, and this Winter is going to be potentially catastrophic because of the addition of White Walkers?

Pretty sure White Walkers haven't been seen in a long while, hence why no one believed that guy (Will?) in episode 1 series 1

Ridli

This has me thinking. What if Ser Jorah is actually immune to dragonscale I think it's called (whatever he contracted from the stone men) and he's charged with leading an expedition into the city?

I don't think there's any reason to believe Jorah would be immune. Pretty sure he just wants to go out in glory for his queen.

Curufinwe

Man if this season could end with Ramsay being captured and being used as the kings blood sacrifice Melisandre wants that would be fantastic. I know Roose Bolton isn't really a king but it should be close enough.

Fanuilos

Everything else in the series seems childish now. "Muh throne" "Muh family" "Muh dragons" "Muh chaos" "Muh incest" I mean, I know people have been dismissing the White Walkers for a while now but people are going to have to get their heads on straight.

mm04

That last act in Wildling land had my hand over my mouth the whole time. I was certain that was the last we were going to see of Jon Snow, but like a boss, he came through. What an incredibly intense final moments that was. Wow.

Venture

They haven't gone into the lore much on the show. They have said that white walkers haven't been seen in a long time. Thousands of years maybe.

I wonder if they'll ever go into why magic is reappearing in the world after so long. Not just the white walkers but dragons etc.

Rootbeer

Banned
Everything else in the series seems childish now. "Muh throne" "Muh family" "Muh dragons" "Muh chaos" "Muh incest" I mean, I know people have been dismissing the White Walkers for a while now but people are going to have to get their heads on straight.

So, not much different from the real world hu? Okay, maybe not so much with the incest part (though, you really never know.)

We're all going about our own personal battles until something devastating like a terrorist attack breaks out and changes everything.

dsp

Winter is Coming

Honestly thought Jon might die for a minute.
Man if this season could end with Ramsay being captured and being used as the kings blood sacrifice Melisandre wants that would be fantastic. I know Roose Bolton isn't really a king but it should be close enough.
1135851.gif

RDreamer

Kind of had a feeling the ending of the season would be pretty great, considering all they're leading up to.

I still question the pacing going on here. They really should have broke off the first Dany/Tyrion/Jorah scene for an episode or so ago. They also should have broke off the first piece of the scene at Hardhome, them talking and partially agreeing for an earlier episode. Spread out the good shit rather than packing it all in one episode. Also would give some of those scenes some breathing room and space. It was a bit odd to see Tyrion and Dany already having that relationship after 1 episode. Same scenes split in two works better. The Hardhome stuff too would have made it a bit less coincidental if it felt like Jon was there a day or two and they attacked after gathering those that were going rather than seeming like it all happened so fast.

Also, man those previews spoil the hell out of the episodes. I totally knew what was going to happen when they showed the sword scene in the preview making sure to say it was Valyrian Steel.

Curufinwe

Yeah, I actually skipped the pre-show recap this time. I think they're getting more and more detailed to help people who don't follow the show closely.

So, not much different from the real world hu? Okay, maybe not so much with the incest part (though, you really never know.)

We're all going about our own personal battles until something devastating like a terrorist attack breaks out and changes everything.

Most of the ruling class fiddling while Rome burns seems like a big theme for the show.

They haven't gone into the lore much on the show. They have said that white walkers haven't been seen in a long time. Thousands of years maybe.

I wonder if they'll ever go into why magic is reappearing in the world after so long. Not just the white walkers but dragons etc.

That reminds me. Remember that thing falling from the sky back in the first or second season. The red comet or whatever it was...Did they completely ignore it after a while? Because I don't remember there being any conclusive words on what it was and eventually it wasn't shown or spoken of again.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Also, man those previews spoil the hell out of the episodes. I totally knew what was going to happen when they showed the sword scene in the preview making sure to say it was Valyrian Steel.
I knew the sword wouldn't break, but I didn't think it would kill the white walker.

Road

By the way, this would have been an amazing time to reintroduce Jon's uncle, who disappeared beyond the wall. But he will come back for the final confrontation for sure.

Believe.

Ridli

That reminds me. Remember that thing falling from the sky back in the first or second season. The red comet or whatever it was...Did they completely ignore it after a while? Because I don't remember there being any conclusive words on what it was and eventually it wasn't shown or spoken of again.

I thought the comet was meant as an omen of the reappearance of dragons.

Fanuilos

True, but you just know that the next season or so is going to be every character laughing off news of this battle.

Forget who it was,, I think the captured wildling woman in Winterfell who said " that thing can only mean one thing, Dragons ". But yeah it see just another one of those things just kind of forgotten about. It was an omen signaling to those in the know that Dragons had been born

So Valyrian Steel does the same shit as Dragon Glass, or rather, Valyrian Steel IS Dragon Glass?

After what we just saw, having Old Valyria scene happen is surly introducing us to that area and how important it's going to be in creating weapons for the war against the Army of the Dead.

And holy fucking shit, when people said "army of the dead" I was not expecting fucking World War Z. How the fuck do you deal with that (Answer, you fucking can't). The last time the Walkers and the first men were at war they had the children of the forest and a buttload of magic to stop them. There is practically no magic in the world anymore, at least not to the degree of the past war.

No city is going to be able to stand against that. You have an army that constantly increases in numbers if the battle is lost and the bodies aren't burned, all they need to do is push forward and have White Walkers regenerate in the back of the pack.

This is insane, the world is fucked.

Venture

Forget who it was,, I think the captured wildling woman in Winterfell who said " that thing can only mean one thing, Dragons ". But yeah it see just another one of those things just kind of forgotten about. It was an omen signaling to those in the know that Dragons had been born
Yep. That's all I recall about it.

I thought the comet was meant as an omen of the reappearance of dragons.

Ah okay, I remember that. Thanks.

And her name is Osha.

adarker

Banned
I know everybody is high on the White Walker invasion (myself included) but did anyone else notice that "Reek", when filling Sansa in, started referring to himself as "I" in relation to things he did as Theon? Is the programming cracking?

If the Night King is killed, he can't regenerate his minions. Maybe that's how to beat the army of the dead?

Also, what if there was some way to create Valyrian Steel arrows? They could totally just fire a volley of arrows at the white walkers.

Venture

So Valyrian Steel does the same shit as Dragon Glass, or rather, Valyrian Steel IS Dragon Glass?

After what we just saw, having Old Valyria scene happen is surly introducing us to that area and how important it's going to be in creating weapons for the war against the Army of the Dead.

And holy fucking shit, when people said "army of the dead" I was not expecting fucking World War Z. How the fuck do you deal with that (Answer, you fucking can't). The last time the Walkers and the first men were at war they had the children of the forest and a buttload of magic to stop them. There is practically no magic in the world anymore, at least not to the degree of the past war.

No city is going to be able to stand against that. You have an army that constantly increases in numbers if the battle is lost and the bodies aren't burned, all they need to do is push forward and have White Walkers regenerate in the back of the pack.

This is insane, the world is fucked.
There seem to be only a few true White Walkers, the ones that can raise the dead. If you can take all of them out somehow it could be a winnable fight.

thekad

Banned
Judging from the convo with Sam, Olly is going to do something either very stupid or very brave. I'm not sure which, but since only bad things happen on the fucking show I'm gonna guess stupid.

Ridli

There seem to be only a few true White Walkers, the ones that can raise the dead. If you can take all of them out somehow it could be a winnable fight.

I mean, it seems that there's at least as many white walkers as sons that Crastor has given up. Dude was busy over the years.

Curufinwe

One last comment for tonight. I liked how Tyrion told Dany that Varys likely kept her alive and patched the way for him to be her advisor as well, cause I really want him back on the show soon.

I wonder if the four horsemen each have their own powers? That guy with the crown looking head can raise the dead, would be interesting to see what else they can do.

I wonder if the four horsemen each have their own powers? That guy with the crown looking head can raise the dead, would be interesting to see what else they can do.

Would explain what that huge wave of death was. Clearly that snow had some death magic shit in it.

It could be a more communal situation, more White Walkers == More Power for what ever they are doing.

Nameless

Also Melisandre recited a prophecy after the comet appeared that "stars will bleed" and "death will rise in the North".

https://youtu.be/a1OpEwhEMdc

Aesius

It's legitimately going to be hard to care about anything else going on in the show that doesn't directly progress the plot toward defeating the White Walkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom