• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

That was nuts. I mean, after seeing all that who gives a flying fuck about all the other horseshit mind games.

Does anyone else feel like no other story lines in the show even matter anymore? I feel like that army is how the show will end. Unless maybe the dragons burn them all.

Everything else in the series seems childish now. "Muh throne" "Muh family" "Muh dragons" "Muh chaos" "Muh incest" I mean, I know people have been dismissing the White Walkers for a while now but people are going to have to get their heads on straight.

It's legitimately going to be hard to care about anything else going on in the show that doesn't directly progress the plot toward defeating the White Walkers.

Posts like these make important points and mean the show succeeded in conveying the fact that the White Walkers are a threat that trivialize everything else. The Game, the scheming ,the positions, the titles.. these things mean jack shit against the Army of Death. Showing this alongside Tyrion and Daeny's conversations was no accident.

Easy to see why the stories and legends still linger despite the Walkers being gone for thousands of years.

tumblr_mt8ts3gNLa1siq18no1_1280.jpg

Also Melisandre recited a prophecy after the comet appeared that "stars will bleed" and "death will rise in the North".

https://youtu.be/a1OpEwhEMdc

Watching that again and it really feels like Shireen has to die, Stannis has to be around to see the end, The warrior of light, who wields the Lightbringer. Meli hasn't been grooming him to rule the 7 kingdoms, she's been preparing him for the White Walkers.

I also thought for a split second " holy Shit, Jon Snow's gonna die".

I'm very interested to find out more about the dragon's glass and all. Targaryens are from Valeria or have Valerian blood right? Dragon's glass, Valerian steel, Dragons themselves, all tied to Valeria.

Anyone considered that Jon's sword is Lightbringer and thats why it killed the white walker? Like Melissandre prophecised in season 2?

It might not be Stannis who is wielding that sword, but Jon never drew the sword from a burning fire as she says/ancient books say. He was given the sword as a gift.

Nameless

Watching that again and it really feels like Shireen has to die, Stannis has to be around to see the end, The warrior of light, who wields the Lightbringer. Meli hasn't been grooming him to rule the 7 kingdoms, she's been preparing him for the White Walkers.

Stannis definitely plays a role, but I've always felt that the Lightbringer part of was contrived for the ceremony. It didn't come across as this deeply important moment worthy of prophecy. Dude had freaking gloves on!

philipnash19

Neo Member
It might not be Stannis who is wielding that sword, but Jon never drew the sword from a burning fire as she says/ancient books say. He was given the sword as a gift.

Yes but he could draw it from the fire at a later stage. Idk I was just speculating, its more than likely just the Valerian steel :)

SeanR1221

Holy shit! Well that's why this season has seemed so low budget, they saved it for that. Thst was one of the best episodes ever. Period.

Stannis definitely plays a role, but I've always felt that the Lightbringer part of was contrived for the ceremony. It didn't come across as this deeply important moment worthy of prophecy. Dude had freaking gloves on!

I don't think he has to be immune to fire though does he? That could definitely still be the sword.

Regardless I definitely think he'll be around to the very end after re-watching that clip and it makes me happy because he's one of my favorites and I've been worried he would die this season while taking Winterfell. He still might, but seems a lot less likely now.

Jobbs

Banned
The show is uneven, to say the least. The first 7 episodes have been sort of cheap feeling, and then this one is some hollywood blockbuster level shit. I guess they put most the budget into the end of the season.

How do we get special effects and choreography on this level in this episode, and fight choreography just one notch above (if that) a highschool play for the sand snakes fight..

The show is uneven, to say the least. The first 7 episodes have been sort of cheap feeling, and then this one is some hollywood blockbuster level shit. I guess they put most the budget into the end of the season.

How do we get special effects and choreography on this level in this episode, and fight choreography just one notch above (if that) a highschool play for the sand snakes fight..

Limited Time + Set Budget = This episode being amazing and Sand Snakes getting the complete shaft.

I seem to remember someone saying making it is a lost art.

It's possible to at least reforge it though since Tywin had someone come and reforge Ed's old sword.

If they can do that I don't see how they wouldn't know how to forge it from scrap pieces of Valyrian steel. I think the issue is getting the steel.

Nameless

I don't think he has to be immune to fire though does he? That could definitely still be the sword.

Regardless I definitely think he'll be around to the very end after re-watching that clip and it makes me happy because he's one of my favorites and I've been worried he would die this season while taking Winterfell. He still might, but seems a lot less likely now.

I just meant that anyone could pull a burning sword from a fire wearing gloves.

Hope so. Even though now I kinda want him to say fuck the Throne, stay North and help lead the charge against the White Walkers. Melisandre was right when she said The War of Five Kings means nothing. Load up on Dragon Glass from Dragon Stone and let's kill some god damn ice zombies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's possible to at least reforge it though since Tywin had someone come and reforge Ed's old sword.

If they can do that I don't see how they wouldn't know how to forge it from scrap pieces of Valyrian steel. I think the issue is getting the steel.

We've seen all of two Valarian weapons and the Lannister's had to steal theirs from the Starks, so that says a lot about how rare they are.

Hope so. Even though now I kinda want him to say fuck the Throne, stay North and help lead the charge against the White Walkers. Melisandre was right when she said The War of Five Kings means nothing. Load up on Dragon Glass from Dragon Stone and let's kill some god damn ice zombies.

I want him to stay North as well but he's right about going back, it wouldn't be possible as they wouldn't have enough food to eat. Plus, I kinda wanna see Sansa out of there and I don't see it happening without Stannis. Really glad that she finally knows about Bran and Rickon though.

Longclaw from House Mormont

More connection as to whyJorah has a bigger role to play in all of this, he can lead the army of the stone men after going to Valyria to find the secrets behind the lost art of Valyrian steel, lol.

Venture

I'm pretty sure it's already been referred to as obsidian as well.
That's right, they did. I guess I shouldn't say "ordinary" obsidian. It must be pretty rare, in Westeros at least.

I'd forgotten all about Dragon Stone being full of dragon glass. I wonder if they brought any with them up north.

aparisi2274

What sword was Snow using to stop that white walker? Was it his sword with the white wolf on the handle? Everything was happening so fast I wasn't sure...

There is one scene that is bothering me. It is when Sam tells Olly " don't worry, Jon always comes back "

In the context of the conversation that line made not much sense. This show likes to have premonitions hidden within actions or statements. I mean Jon receiving Dragonglass suddenly was a pretty big hint that Jon would need that Dragonglass wherever he may be going. Just so happens they would need it.

That statement was very out of place within that conversation. Something irks me about it. No doubt Jon returns to the Wall. I dunno. Maybe that was just Sam misreading Olly's facial expression. It just felt like one of those statements that meant more

effzee

Everything about this episode was amazing.

The atmosphere, the choreography, the action, the intensity, the music, and the final shit were so damn good.

Those creepy dead kids omg.

Only 2 episodes left fuck!

Gleethor

Legit surprised that the Ice King didn't start walking across the water while freezing it, creating a frozen bridge for his army to come fuck up the fleet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Were those her kids or did she just recognize them? Why did she just stand there? Guess she couldn't hurt kids no matter how alive they are.

Shame, we all wanted her to stick around. Though I guess she could show up again...

Best episode of television this year. That fucking final shot and the build up was some of the most unsettling shit I've seen on TV. That's how you properly build tension with undead shit approaching.

Cake Boss

Banned
Awesome episode!!!

Finally, please more of this!!

And its not just the action but the dialogue and the topics that were discussed were actually interestng and on point compared to the rest of the season.

Was anyone else waiting for the giant to rise from the water and hulk smash the boats as the undead giant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom