• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder if this was a call back to the first scene of Game of Thrones. Looks like the same character to me.

Season 1, episode 1.
P5y2zqU.png

Season 6, episode 8

Hmm, can't remember but the start of last season when Tywin reforged Ned's old sword, did he say he found someone who knew how to handle Valyrian Steel? Cause I sure hope Brienne's and Joffery's (?) swords aren't full of impurities or something and are worthless against WWs.

I don't remember the exact words but he made it sound like this blacksmith was one of a kind since he knew how to reforge Valyrian steel.

We've also seen how powerful Brienn's sword is. She cut through a solid tree trunk and then she shattered someone's sword.

I know everybody is high on the White Walker invasion (myself included) but did anyone else notice that "Reek", when filling Sansa in, started referring to himself as "I" in relation to things he did as Theon? Is the programming cracking?
Good eyes.

The idea that Ramsay actually goes with 20 men and ends up killing Stannis if true will be completely unbelievable. Not in a good way, but fucking stupid type of unbelievable. They're really enhancing the point about how arrogant he is. Also, wasn't Stannis paid enough money for 100,000 men? I thought that was mentioned, yet they made it seem as if only 12,000 were at the wall and half have now left him. Unless Stannis is keeping the rest of his army elsewhere? I am rather confused...

Also, this is one of the 5 best episodes of the show. Tough to imagine the last two outdoing this episode.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Was the stream quality really poor for anyone else on HBO Now? It was a blocky mess for me during the fight because of all the fast motion and snow.

How did Jon kill that badass whitewalker general anyway?

Was his sword dragonglass?

There is so much about the Whitewalkers that I want to know. So fascinating

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Everything about this episode was incredible.

Starting with Kaleesi and Tyrion. I hope they become besties with taking over the world.

All the way to the most epic battle I've seen anywhere in a long time. CGI was on point. Very believable. I hope that the battles coming up are consistent with that. They were extremely volatile, and moved very unhuman like.

I honestly thought John Snow was dead. Considering how this show is with killing main characters. That sword clash moment made me sit up, grab my Surface, and yell "Oh shiiiit" at it.

A+ from me. Haven't posted in this thread in a long time. This episode made me.

Ray Wonder

How did Jon kill that badass whitewalker general anyway?

Was his sword dragonglass?

There is so much about the Whitewalkers that I want to know. So fascinating

They showed the refresher clip at the beginning with Jeor Mormont giving him the sword. It has to be special in some way. Valyrian steel I guess can kill them too.

One thing that is bugging me about using Dragon Glass to kill White Walkers is how is this just being discovered now? I assume that at one time it was known by people that it was their weakness seeing how they were buried in a stash that Sam found way back when. It figures that a small armory of Dragon Glass being buried in the far north had at least something to do with being prepared for Walkers. Did everyone who knew just never write it down? The one Wildling tonite said something about hearing stories so maybe they just turned into vague myths? It just seems like that's some information you would make sure to disseminate, the one weakness of the greatest enemies. That should be the only information Westeros people should know about WW's even if they don't know anything else.

JesseZao

I think I rather enjoyed that episode. I can't believe we have 2 more episodes left. I can't help but feel like they'll be a step down from this one. The Winterfell fight won't be quite as epic.

Gaz_RB

One thing that is bugging me about using Dragon Glass to kill White Walkers is how is this just being discovered now? I assume that at one time it was known by people that it was their weakness seeing how they were buried in a stash that Sam found way back when. It figures that a small armory of Dragon Glass being buried in the far north had at least something to do with being prepared for Walkers. Did everyone who knew just never write it down? The one Wildling tonite said something about hearing stories so maybe they just turned into vague myths? It just seems like that's some information you would make sure to disseminate, the one weakness of the greatest enemies. That should be the only information Westeros people should know about WW's even if they don't know anything else.

It had been so long that WWs attacked last that people just forgot.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, I guess no Winterfall siege this season? Or maybe not at all.

I can't image they have the budget to do two massive battles a season and if there is a battle for Winterfall it has to be on a huge scale.

We also still have episode 9 left and they've always saved the best moments for 9 so who knows what will happen there.

It's been thousands of years so that information just got lost in time. The world doesn't even believe the White Walkers are even real. Hell, even some members of the Night's Watch don't believe they exist.

People talk about plot armor with him but he's the only Stark using his head.

Ned followed his heart instead of his head.......Dead
Robb followed his heart instead of using his head.......Dead and he got his mother killed in the process.

John has been tempted to follow his heart every season and has stepped back and done the smart thing every time.

Exactly. Ned wouldn't have retreated. He would have gotten all his bannermen and got them all killed including himself.

Although, Ned deserved a Boromir-like death. :)

Ray Wonder

I'm guessing a long time of safety from WWs made them forget. Sam was looking through all those books trying to find some clues. If you think about it, isn't Valyrian steel a mystery to them as well? That seems pretty important, yet lost to time.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
It's been ages since WWs were a presence south of the Wall, hasn't it? People don't even think they really exist anymore.

So I was thinking about Shireen, and how Melisandre has been saying that she's needed as sacrifice. She had Greyscale and is cured which would probably make her immune to it, such as with other infectious diseases.

What if Melisandre is reading her prophecy wrong and her important role isn't as a blood sacrifice but as a key to Valyria. They're going to have to go there for one reason or another since we now know that Valyrian steel can kill WW, maybe Shireen is the one who can go there without being attacked, the Stonemen don't seem to attack each other, maybe they wouldn't attack her either.

Avinexus

Knowledge turns to stories, which turns into legend, etc. It had been hundreds/thousands of years since anyone had killed a Whitewalker I assume.

Sheroking

I don't know how they topped the Battle at the Wall last season, but they did.

What voodoo are the producers using to get this to look so good on a TV budget?! 200M dollar movies do not look this good.

Avinexus

I don't know how they topped the Battle at the Wall last season, but they did.

What voodoo are the producers using to get this to look so good on a TV budget?! 200M dollar movies do not look this good.

Having only 10-15 minutes worth of heavy CGI compared to 2-3 hours worth can really reduce costs and increase your pickiness on the quality (and time spent on a smaller amount).

Ferrio

Banned
Hmm, can't remember but the start of last season when Tywin reforged Ned's old sword, did he say he found someone who knew how to handle Valyrian Steel? Cause I sure hope Brienne's and Joffery's (?) swords aren't full of impurities or something and are worthless against WWs.

They just melted down a sword, so he didn't need to create the steel... just cast it into a new sword I guess.

So I was thinking about Shireen, and how Melisandre has been saying that she's needed as sacrifice. She had Greyscale and is cured which would probably make her immune to it, such as with other infectious diseases.

What if Melisandre is reading her prophecy wrong and her important role isn't as a blood sacrifice but as a key to Valyria. They're going to have to go there for one reason or another since we now know that Valyrian steel can kill WW, maybe Shireen is the one who can go there without being attacked, the Stonemen don't seem to attack each other, maybe they wouldn't attack her either.

I don't think she's immune. I think it's just that the infection was stopped from spreading. I imagine she could be infected again if a different part of her body made contact.

Personally, I prefer the Jorah theory. It makes more sense with his family lineage and story in the series so far.

Yeah must think back to Tyrion, one of the more educated people in Westeros, mocking Jon as he took the trip up with him to the wall for that first time. Jon stating how he is going to go and defend the realm against walkers and other such things. Tyrion may as well of laughed in his face at the idea.

Westeros is oblivious to the coming storm. Let them be though.

This show has done a good job of making it difficult to give a damn about these families getting decimated soon. Hopefully soon . Spokes on a wheel that need broken.

BREAK THE WHEEL DANY. Then go star as Elayne Trekand in the wheel of time movie

Man what an episode!

Props to GRRM and the show creators. Years of world building, politics, intrigue and you forget from the very first episode they have been building up to this in the background.

The Nights Watch really need to send and SOS out to the rest of the Kingdom after that shit. But you get the feeling these lords are too caught up in their petty squabbles to come together. Westeros and the Nights Watch are going to be caught up in the middle of this, the Others from the North and Dragons from the East. I'm guessing with Dragon glass and Valyrian steel being the only things that can kill them it is all going to come down to the dragons to save the day

JQub3d

Banned
Can we give some props to the dude who was piloting Jon's boat at the end of the episode? Dude is the real mvp.

Gave zero fucks and didn't even turn around to glance at the giant fucking army of the dead directly behind him.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont even know how they close this show out with the big battle that seems inevitable. I mean dragons and undead and armies i dont even know. Might as well hire Peter Jackson and do a tax writeoff or some shit. Either that happens or its a lot more subtle than we are expecting.

demolitio

I really hope we get to see the bank of Braavos come to collect from the Lannisters this season but it doesn't look like it. Cersei is so screwed if she gets out of this alive, which I think she will since she still has to see Tommen die and her entire family either die or abandon her, but I want to see it happen sooner rather than later. She attacked the people that funded her family's wars over her mistakes and lost her way to pay back the lenders so I want to see it come crumbling down.

Either way, I don't think the kingdom is going to be in good shape by the time winter hits since their stupid greed and petty fighting only weakened their numbers and defenses for the white walkers that they still don't believe in. It's going to be quite the eye-opening experience until the two families the Lannisters decimated save everyone.

I just want to see her actions actually have consequences finally since it's been building up for quite some time.

Sheroking

He did burn his hand. And his parentage is pure conjecture. I wonder if we will ever get a real answer about it.

Worst kept secret ever, though.

Like, the only way that doesn't end up being true is if everyone seeing through all the thinly-veiled hints pisses GRRM off enough to not end up doing it.

Valyrian Steel is made with dragon fire same as Dragonglass.

So, basically, Dany is the only hope? It's going to be such a moment when Dany comes in, and when/if Jon goes to King's Landing, disrupts all the political games, and tries to warn everyone of whitewalkers.

It's amazing how awesome all these storylines are, and how they are all converging into each other.

Where were the whitewalkers last winter anyway? I get that they were forgotten in myth, but it seems they were vanquished or not so strong. I wonder what the hell happens in the North and how the hell they came to be and what they want

Yeah and I want to see the monster the Lannisters and Boltons and Freys created in Arya go to work around Westeros

Really excited to see what part in the grand scheme Arya plays. She is a true child of Westeros if you ask me. Same as Sansa but Arya is battle hardened and black hearted now. Westeros beat them both down. But Arya will have the means to beat back soon.

I'm Atleast glad Sansa knows that Bran and Rikkon are alive now. That should steel her for the fights ahead, knowing their is hope her brothers are alive.

It may give her the reason to leave though. Now that Ramsay is gone she should be able to light that candle and get Brienne to get her out. Not to run away from Ramsay but to go hunting for Her brothers

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game of Thrones formula is pretty immaculate. Everyone complains for 7 episodes and then boom nobody gives a shit, everything is awesome.

Volimar

Ollie is either going to something very stupid or very brave like opening the way for Jon when the other men of the night's watch don't let him in.

I don't think she's immune. I think it's just that the infection was stopped from spreading. I imagine she could be infected again if a different part of her body made contact.

Personally, I prefer the Jorah theory. It makes more sense with his family lineage and story in the series so far.

Yeah, I prefer the Jorah theory as well. I was just thinking that Melisandre's prophecy might be wrong and they might sacrifice her for her blood when that's not why she's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom