• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit and that's just the end of episode 8. Game of fucking thrones.

Sam talking positively about Jon made me think he was legitimately a goner at some point tonight. Then the storm came and holy shit, the ranks were decimated. Dragon glass saved the day and all, but Jesus, they're going need a lot more of it now and that doesn't grow on trees.

Hell of an episode to get a sit down between Tyrion and Dany (her best scenes of the season), Sersei sufferring :D, and then that wallop of an ending half.

Edit:

Jon has Valyrian steel.

Schryver

Definitely one of the best episodes ever. Every one this season has been good except ep. 6 (and even that is way overblown. Still decent). So hyped for the last 2

Ollie is either going to something very stupid or very brave like opening the way for Jon when the other men of the night's watch don't let him in.

Why the hell does Sam say, "He'll come back, he always does" Seems random and unnecessary, with all the foreshadowing in this show it makes me wonder if Jon will ever make it back.

Also, are they going to the wall, or directly to Stannis?

Ferrio

Banned
Dragon glass saved the day and all, but Jesus, they're going need a lot more of it now and that doesn't grow on trees.

Dragon glass didn't do shit :|

Why the hell does Sam say, "He'll come back, he always does" Seems random and unnecessary, with all the foreshadowing in this show it makes me wonder if Jon will ever make it back.

Put doubt in people's minds for the next scene. Same reason soon as that woman put her children on the boat first "Yep she's a goner" There's these usual cues that make people know a character is doomed, so game of thrones likes to fuck with that.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Also, are they going to the wall, or directly to Stannis?

Yeah, because of that line I thought he was dead this episode.

Yeah, I prefer the Jorah theory as well. I was just thinking that Melisandre's prophecy might be wrong and they might sacrifice her for her blood when that's now why she's important.

I wouldn't understate the importance that having a child carries in developing character. If he's not going to sacrifice her (and he spent ages trying to find a maester who could cure her, so that seems to be given), then I don't think he'd throw her into any other potentially treacherous event.

I think her role is being the soft heart of the group. She's helped out Davos and she's helping out Stannis.

What's this Jorah theory you guys are talking about, I must have missed it

The Mormont family has history with Valyrian steel (that's where Jon got his sword), and old Valyria is filled with stone men, so the theory is Jorah goes into OV to somehow find the secret to creating more Valyrian steel.

v1lla21

I thought Jon was going to die. As soon as the swords clashed I turned to my gf and said, "Valyrian motherfucking steel."
Cersei suffering, Tyrion and khaleesi talking, that final battle with OG White Walker, it was all great. The fact that there was no music as OG rose the dead made everything more badass.

Sheroking

Ollie is either going to something very stupid or very brave like opening the way for Jon when the other men of the night's watch don't let him in.

Hope we get a swerve and he does the noble/correct thing.

Cause a lesser show would have him fuck it up somehow to create more conflict between the free folk and the nights watch.

BTM

I was legit worried for Jon's life there. Any other show I would have been like "nah they aren't going to kill him off". But in GoT there's always a chance.

Seriously though, this is definitely one of the greatest GoT episodes out of all 5 seasons. The Tyrion and Daenerys scenes were fantastic. The two play off each other extremely well and I can't wait to see how that relationship will grow.

Also, seeing Cersei finally having to suffer for all the shit she's pulled over 5 seasons is soooo satisfying. I wonder if she'll be able to somehow get out of this one.

And then there was the Theon(Reek)/Sansa interaction where Sansa finds out that Bran/Rickon may still be alive. Maybe that little bit of hope that she still has family will be able to somehow rejuvenate her spirits somewhat.

And holy fuck at the last 20 minutes or so up North. That was absolutely amazing.

Put doubt in people's minds for the next scene. Same reason soon as that woman put her children on the boat first "Yep she's a goner" There's these usual cues that make people know a character is doomed, so game of thrones likes to fuck with that.

You're right. It's Valyrian steel.

Eos

that white walker that was staring down john was the same one that turned that baby into a white walker right?

Yeah, because of that line I thought he was dead this episode.

That's what makes me question where exactly are they going, is it back to the wall, or directly to fight for Stannis. The show doesn't always foreshadow things that will happen in the same episode, or even same season.

totoro'd

Ugh i've been a huge fan of the show but after the last episode i might very well be done with it, i never thought i'd feel that way, even after certain character deaths i still hung on, but i think this is it for me :/

Obviously i was talking out of my ass, the entire season was redeemed with this episode omg, one of the most heart-pounding episodes of the entire show i think. I kept saying no Jon Snow noooo
e7BtQ5M.gif

i was convinced he was about to die in that battle with the white walker

I wouldn't understate the importance that having a child carries in developing character. If he's not going to sacrifice her (and he spent ages trying to find a maester who could cure her, so that seems to be given), then I don't think he'd throw her into any other potentially treacherous event.

I think her role is being the soft heart of the group. She's helped out Davos and she's helping out Stannis.

The Mormont family has history with Valyrian steel (that's where Jon got his sword), and old Valyria is filled with stone men, so the theory is Jorah goes into OV to somehow find the secret to creating more Valyrian steel.
Why would Jorah do that? Seems a big leap

Jayne

So how are the White Walkers supposed to get across the sea?

The sea isn't the only way to the wall, just the fastest (from Hardhome anyway). The wildlings that were at Hardhome didn't get there by sea, they walked there from the wall after Stannis broke them. The white walkers will get to the wall the same way the wildlings got to Hardhome.

a4b63993b8.jpg

Jon took the red path, via Stannis' boats from Eastwatch by The Sea, to get to Hardhome as fast as possible. The white walkers will take the blue path to the wall.

Why would Jorah do that? Seems a big leap

I'm running under the assumption that someone decides they need more Valyrian steel in the battle. Maybe they don't, but it's either that, obsidian, dragons or wildfire. Probably most or all of those, really. So if VS is called for, somebody has to figure out how to do it. Might as well be a character we already know about, and whose family was involved in the process.

So just to be clear, the Winter only happens in Westeros, right ? Which means that the While Walkers are only a threat to the denizens of that continent, correct ? So if that's the case, then people could just emigrate to Esos as a last plan.

NolbertoS

One thing that is bugging me about using Dragon Glass to kill White Walkers is how is this just being discovered now? I assume that at one time it was known by people that it was their weakness seeing how they were buried in a stash that Sam found way back when. It figures that a small armory of Dragon Glass being buried in the far north had at least something to do with being prepared for Walkers. Did everyone who knew just never write it down? The one Wildling tonite said something about hearing stories so maybe they just turned into vague myths? It just seems like that's some information you would make sure to disseminate, the one weakness of the greatest enemies. That should be the only information Westeros people should know about WW's even if they don't know anything else.

The Whitewalkers passed into legend, in the modern era of Westeroos. People had forgotten that whitewalkers existed or why the wall was built in the first place. I'm guessing the last people to fight the whitewalkers buried the dragonglass for future generations. The dragonglass was discovered by accident if I recall how they were digging arounf outside the wall. And of course hearing the three horns sound the first time and people forgetting what 3 horns means at the Wall. What I want to know is why are the whitewalkers attacking, why now after a couple of thousand years. Is the Old Gods responsible for them?? Did the Targaryens know that there steel and maybe dragons were responsiblr for them finding the whitewalkers weakness?? I'd like to believe that all kingdoms in the game of thrones united against the awhite walkers. Pushed them back into the desolate north and than the Valyrians turned on the Westeroos kingdoms with there dragons and conquered all seven kingdoms except Dorne.

So just to be clear, the Winter only happens in Westeros, right ? Which means that the While Walkers are only a threat to the denizens of that continent, correct ? So if that's the case, then people could just emigrate to Esos as a last plan.

There aren't nearly enough ships for a mass exodus. Nor a home for the Westerosi to arrive in. But, yes, for those with money, escaping to Essos would be an option.

We're never going too see the blackfish, the hound or the brotherhood without banners again are we? With the shit hitting the fan, it seems unlikely they can find space for supporting characters. Going to be joining Gendry on his boat.

demolitio

We're never going too see the blackfish, the hound or the brotherhood without banners again are we? With the shit hitting the fan, it seems unlikely they can find space for supporting characters. Going to be joining Gendry on his boat.

I can't imagine The Hound being gone for good considering the age old trope of them never showing the body. Also, his fear of fire would make him a perfect convert for the Lord of Light. :D

I really hope he comes back. Still a lot of story to be told outside of this season which has focused mainly on a few plots.

Holy. Shit. Just like that, Season 5 redeemed and we haven't reached episode 9.

Even if now every other story seems meaningless I can't wait for the Winterfell battle, because there will be a battle, right? Now I'm not too sure seeing Ramsay was all like "we need to strike hard, give me 20 good men". I hope this whole subplot doesn't end in something lame like shirtless Ramsay and co slaughtering Stannis' army in their sleep.

parasight

Fuck man. Fuckkkkkkkkk.

I've enjoyed the season, despite the pace and everything but tonight just reminded me why I love this fucking show.

Roussow

Guys, make your Olly predictions:

They're building him up as a wild card -- what's Olly's end game purpose this season?

Holy fucking shit.

I seriously thought they were going to kill off Jon Snow seeing how there haven't really been any major deaths this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom