• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

And just like that a disappointing season drops a fucking god-tier episode that had a lot of elements that I love about the show.

The Tyrion/Dany scenes have been better than in my wildest dreams; it's impressive how Tyrion manages to approach and convince Dany with words only. I was also under the impression that Dany turned into full-queen mode compared to previous episodes since now she has to prove her worth to someone who is not only from Westeros but from the most powerful family as well. While I love the brutal stuff in Game Of Thrones, I think well written dialogue scenes with huge implications are way more exciting, and to me these scenes were exactly that.

Seeing Cersei in a prison cell should fill me with joy, but somehow.. it doesn't. Not that I have any sympathy for her, but I see the High Sparrow as a way bigger treat than she can ever be. It's interesting to watch her switching between queen and herself; after each threat comes the realization that it might not become true. No idea what the heck will happen to her.

The cut from Cersei to Arya was kinda weird, and to be honest that scene that Arya and Ja'quen were imagining felt really weird and out of place since Game Of Thrones very often just shows what is happening right now instead of working with flashbacks or 'imagined' scenes. Nonetheless we see that Arya made some progress and seeing her cheeky smile after she gets the bottle made me chuckle.

There were other scenes to talk about, but fucking hell we all know what the highlight of this episode was. Not only were the scenes between Crows and Wildlings tense in itself and could have stood on their own since the Wildling actors do a fantastic job and the writing is good; but letting fucking Winter finally arrive and seeing the true meaning behind it was mindblowing.

Like, fucking shit, they nailed everything so brilliantly in 15-20 minutes that they redeemed the entire season to me. The build-up to the attack, the blockbuster-esque combat scenes between humans and undead, a fucking White Walker walking through the flames and shattering a steel axe, the fear Jon getting killed and him shattering that White Walker, the giant fighting off dozens of undead, the horsemen shot, the undead jumping off a fucking mountain and standing up and then, probably the most tense moment of the entire season to me, the king's arrival.

No music, no dialogue - just a demonstration of unbelievable power. The eyes of Jon who saw all of this for the first time say it all really. What a impressive scene.

And what a impressive episode. I am really excited again and hope this season will find good closure in the next two episodes.

One more thing: to me, one of the best shots in the entire series. Masterfully executed.

gotxqazx.png

Nerokis

Am I the only one who momentarily thought Dany was going to propose to Tyrion? "I won't kill you. No... I'll marry you."

Not since old Daario has Dany had this much chemistry with anyone. They're incredible together.

Whats Jon Snow's sword made out of that countered the White Walkers? Valerian steel?

Edit: nvm . just saw this:

Jon - Longclaw
Brienne - Oathkeeper
Tommen - Widow's Wail
House Tarly (Sworn to House Tyrell) - Heartsbane
House Corbray (Sworn to House Arryn) - Lady Forlorn

Haven't seen or heard much of the last two though. There's also a few that have been lost over the years, whether in a battle or some other method.

Guys, make your Olly predictions:

They're building him up as a wild card -- what's Olly's end game purpose this season?

Im kind of scared. It seems like hes going to convince the others to start a rebellion and slaughter the wildlings at the gates.

Apt101

Wow this episode. Knowing look from the Other on the shore. Maybe Snow really is the savior.

Sad about the Wildling woman. She seemed cool.

And yea, it's Valerian steel. Forged with dragon's breath right?

Edit: Stannis, Snow, Dany, the Wildlings. Even fucking Little Finger. They're all going to have to come together to beat this threat. Looking forwards to future episodes.

Edit 2: really makes Little Finger look like an immense threat. He is so busy demolishing the old establishment that his existence jeopardizes all of Westeros. He either has to come around or get got.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Fucking outstanding episode
and I'm only a little pressed that the female wildling got killed because she was great

Holy

Fuck

I love how this show does so much with no dialogue. Those last few minutes... my god.

I think this sums up my last 20 mins...

tumblr_lft4rzNhXu1qzaq8mo1_500.gif

Jackpot

Banned
Surprised they didn't touch on the fact that opening the fighting pits has led to slavery on the down-low.

Beating a confession out of someone doesn't seem like fair due process.

As soon as the woman said "I'll be right behind you" you knew she was dead.

That avalanche heralding the White Walkers was a nice touch.

Skux

Holy shit. What an intense episode. Absolutely fucking nuts final set piece filled with terrifying moments that I thought for sure Jon would die. But then he picks up his Valyrian steel sword, and was like Thor getting his hammer back.

I wanna see one of those giants become a white walker..

Or when they get to Winterfell they raise all the dead from their crypt and we get to see Zombie Leanna Stark!

Skux

Also, the back 40 or so minutes was great too:

"I don't think she's ready."
"Maybe she is, maybe she isn't."
"And if she isn't?"
"Who fucking cares lol."

And it's nice to finally, finally see Danaerys talking to someone from her home. It was almost like a season 1 reunion, especially how Tyrion spelled out her entire journey so far.

Moaradin

The last 20 minutes or so overshadowed everything, but this whole episode was fantastic. The Daenerys and Tyrion team up is better than I thought it would be.

Well, Jon has a magic sword. Who would have thought.

yeah, it was a bit telegraphed that it was going to be magic in the preview to the show unfortunately.

I think it would have been more fun/better viewing if it only became aparrent when Jon blocked the WW's sword and we, the viewers, realised at the same moment as Jon that his sword is magic.

Great episode though. They dont need a rape scene to get people talking about this show, they just need to show more WW battles like tonight's episode.

Qurupeke

The White Walker Jon fought reminded me of Tywin Lannister...

Great episode, the last 20 minutes were really intense. I'm impressed that the giant and Jon's friend survived.

Skux

Forget Oberon, forget Jamie... this is the new Swag of the Seven Kingdoms.

oHoqTnP.gif

Dany and Tyrion have zero chemistry by the way.

That's sort of the point though. They are from two completely different worlds and the only thing they have in common is that they had shitty parents.

Little butterfly effect going on with Jorah probably saving Jon by returning his sword back to his father and not taking it accross the sea.

I do wonder where Joffreys valyrian sword is. Did they bury him with it, does Tommen have it or something completely different?

BokehKing

Banned
I just want to see the south's reaction to the wight walkers, I want to see the people in essos frightened.

I want to see little finger reaction, cersei, wish I can see tywins reaction

Addi

Awesome episode! I loved how mindblown the white walker was by the sword, I mean, from his perspective, he's almost invincible, he goes down there to fuck things up nonchalantly and the probability of him getting killed was almost non-existent. Jon is slowly becoming a legend and it's really cool to see that evolution. A lot of the other "greats" of the show were already in that position when the show started and we had to believe what we were told about them (like Jaime being the best sword fighter etc.).

The ending was so tense, when the second white walker lifted his arms, I thought he was going to create a storm to wreck all the boats. the silence was awesome. Shit is going down and the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place.

Zaph

With the amount of crazy things that happened this episode, this show has taught me the most important was the chat between Sam and the kid. That's all I can think about. Talk about nasty foreshadowing - this is like the third or forth time he's brought up his slaughtered village.

I really, really hope after escaping that battle the season doesn't end with the kid pulling an Omar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom