• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris121580

It's so amazing to me that this show had a budget that wasn't big enough to show a battle in season 1 to showing the epic battle last night. The episode was incredible and probably my favorite yet

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That ending was so good, I almost forgot how terrible Jon's explanation for Mance's death was.
I think he knew Tormund would back him up. It sounded a lot better coming from him than Jon being all "My allies were burning him alive so I shot him with an arrow. I was really quite brave and noble when you think about it ."

BTM

After sleeping on it, this may actually be my favorite episode of GoT so far. Definitely going to re-watch it sometime today

Winter,you scary. I thought the walker that Jon slayed looked better (and more frightening) than their apparent leader.

The leader looks like a leader. Looks like he could inspire trust in others and looks intelligent. He is not overbearing or intimidating beyond his general WW look.

He looks like a Walker politician. The dude Jon fought looked like a warrior. It all fits perfectly if you ask me.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, the zombies in this >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> just about anything I've seen from the Walking Dead. I don't know if that's still considered the gold standard because I don't watch the show anymore - but I'm talking in terms of art and design rather than pure realism.

Lorcain

I was worried when John was hit by the staff end of the white walker's weapon. My first thought was that the white walker sized John up, and decided to turn him into a white walker. It looked like he was starting to get sick from the staff hit. During that whole scene I was worried about a delayed effect from the staff.

The CGI was so impressive this episode. Good lord the children. That was creepy as fuck.

Seriously, did you see the look on Jon's face?

You can't stop that, nothing on Westeros has the capability to even remotely stop that wave of death. Once they find a way to travel past the wall (they can't touch it, Children of the Forest put that magic shit in it) it's going to be GG unless Danny and her Dragons come in as support.

My theory. You have a huge army of the dead that is ranging in the tens of thousands at this point, to maybe 100K. Fuck going through the gate, you can literally make a wall of dead and scale over the wall and just rain down death over it to open the gate on the other side. Or they are literally waiting for Winter and can't survive in other climates, and once the seas freeze over they are just going to walk around.

Can't stop it? By the end battle here's what I think we'll get:

• Dany as "ruler"esque of the shitshow that is about to take place (people will unite under her "rule" at least until the battle ends because she has dragons). People will support her more after she (hopefully) listens and grows from Tyrion's wisdom.

• Jon will also be co"ruler" of a sorts but more functioning as the commander

• Bran will warg into a dragon

My guess is the goal won't be to decimate the army, but cut off the head. Somehow getting to a location, or killing the king will end the battle. Either they try to break through, while the armies distract the hordes and strategically get to the Night King and kill him. OR they try to actually journey to the home of the white walkers and destroy whatever magic might power them.

Now the question is...do I even want to watch next week's preview or just be completely surprised by what's to come?

It barely shows anything. Seems they're keeping it tight the next two episodes.

Alright I caved and watched it. Hard to tell if that's a preview for episode 9, or a preview for 9 and 10 as they make reference to that. Kinda sounds like Stannis is going to going along with the plan. Can't happen right? Right?

Overdoziz

Banned
PDS6x1F.gif

Still funny.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The last Lord Commander, Jorah's dad, gave it to him. It was a sword that was passed down in Jorah's family for generations.

I'll spoiler this just in case. But in regards to this sword by chance I ended up watching the "history & lore" stuff on the bluray extras so it just popped back into my head:

In the history & lore section of the bluray for season 4 I believe they had a part with Jorah talking about a bit of history and in it he talked about how when he shamed his family name he left behind the sword to go to a more worthy successor.

Now is anyone else going to watch that last 20 minutes again real soon? I know I plan to tonight, got me all hype.

We've seen Jon being a capable swordsman before, but this battle was something else. Very impressive.
Makes me really bummed out all of Robb's battlefield conquests happened off camera, as it's my understanding he was a hell of a swordsman (for a young man) as well.

I guess it just shows how great of a teacher Ned (and would Roderick get some credit here?) was.

Ithil

God damn that was an amazing episode.

So can someone fill me in on the White Walkers a bit and Westeros in general? I know that Winters last for years and so do Summers, but do White Walkers come *every* Winter? Or is this the first time White Walkers have been seen for a really long time?

Are Winters normally just difficult because of snow / cold, and this Winter is going to be potentially catastrophic because of the addition of White Walkers?

They haven't been seen in thousands of years, and the Wall was built after the last invasion of them to hold them out. That's what the Night's Watch is actually for, but the humans still living on the other side of the Wall have been what they've been dealing with since.

Can't stop it? By the end battle here's what I think we'll get:

• Dany as "ruler"esque of the shitshow that is about to take place (people will unite under her "rule" at least until the battle ends because she has dragons). People will support her more after she (hopefully) listens and grows from Tyrion's wisdom.

• Jon will also be co"ruler" of a sorts but more functioning as the commander

• Bran will warg into a dragon

My guess is the goal won't be to decimate the army, but cut off the head. Somehow getting to a location, or killing the king will end the battle. Either they try to break through, while the armies distract the hordes and strategically get to the Night King and kill him. OR they try to actually journey to the home of the white walkers and destroy whatever magic might power them.

Sure, that might be a general outline, but we're talking about an army of the dead that's months away from a decade long winter with a whole continent that is going to be able to do jack shit to stop the White Walkers.

"Congrats Danny, you won, you beat the White Walkers! You now rule over the now dead continent of Westeros with a dragon you were only able to control because of some kid was warging it."

Danny is still across The Narrow Sea and still has to deal with invading Westeros, taking over Kings Landing, dealing with Stanis (although by the time Danny gets there he might just be dead) and attempting to unite all of the kingdoms to fight with her.

Not only that, but you have the wild card of the little shit who is mad that Jon is breaking bread with his enemies who has immediate access to food and a salty second in command who wouldn't hesitate to help in the assassination of Jon.

You guys are completely forgetting this is Game of Thrones. You know, the story of the heroing young Robb Stark who was winning every battle and was just one diplomatic missions away from gaining access to the south, just to be cut down at a fucking wedding?

I really don't think this show is going to end the way people think it is. If all those peices fit perectly in place and that's the only major twists, with Jon being Targarian (which was made obvious this season), Brann warging a dragon (not even a hint, it's mentioned outright last season) or Danny invading and saving the day with said dragon (obvious as all hell) I will spit on this show.

zeemumu

God damn that was an amazing episode.

So can someone fill me in on the White Walkers a bit and Westeros in general? I know that Winters last for years and so do Summers, but do White Walkers come *every* Winter? Or is this the first time White Walkers have been seen for a really long time?

Are Winters normally just difficult because of snow / cold, and this Winter is going to be potentially catastrophic because of the addition of White Walkers?

I think they're some of the old terrors. They were a problem a long time ago but they've been gone for so long that most people just assume they never existed at all. That probably contributes to the reason why the Night's Watch is so under-equipped and falling apart. They haven't had to deal with this kind of thing in a long time.

You guys are completely forgetting this is Game of Thrones. You know, the story of the heroing young Robb Stark who was winning every battle and was just one diplomatic missions away from gaining access to the south, just to be cut down at a fucking wedding?

I really don't think this show is going to end the way people think it is. If all those peices fit perectly in place and that's the only major twists, with Jon being Targarian (which was made obvious this season), Brann warging a dragon (not even a hint, it's mentioned outright last season) or Danny invading and saving the day with said dragon (obvious as all hell) I will spit on this show.

My guess was always that it would end up with Dany and Jon as the final two big players, and Dany would succumb to the madness streak of her ancestors causing everyone including her dragons to turn on her. So for now, money's on Jon.

Grifter

I think he knew Tormund would back him up. It sounded a lot better coming from him than Jon being all "My allies were burning him alive so I shot him with an arrow. I was really quite brave and noble when you think about it ."

He gave a dangerously simplistic statement on Mance. It worked out great and established Tormund as a true ally, but up until that point, I didn't see Jon as having arrived to that level of trust.

Who are the whitewalker leaders, and how did they come to be? I just want to know so much. Too bad they cant send a recon team into wherever the hell they came from to see the day to day life of the Whitewalker. Do they just walk all damn day? Clearly the leaders are capable of intellectual thought. Do they get bored walking all day?

I really don't think this show is going to end the way people think it is. If all those peices fit perectly in place and that's the only major twists, with
Jon being Targarian
(which was made obvious this season), Brann warging a dragon (not even a hint, it's mentioned outright last season) or Danny invading and saving the day with said dragon (obvious as all hell) I will spit on this show.

Honestly that should still be put in spoilers. Even if it's a well known theory for those who have read the books or have been watching the show long enough to have had that theory spoiled by someone else. It's best just being the unspoken possibility then being thrown out there.

Lorcain

We've seen Jon being a capable swordsman before, but this battle was something else. Very impressive.
Makes me really bummed out all of Robb's battlefield conquests happened off camera, as it's my understanding he was a hell of a swordsman (for a young man) as well.

I guess it just shows how great of a teacher Ned (and would Roderick get some credit here?) was.
Definitely. The master of arms of Winterfell probably spent the most actual training time with the Stark boys (and Theon). I'm sure Ned had a big influence on their combat training too, but definitely have to give Roderick some major credit.

Jon seems to have a lot of innate talent or combat prowess too, which makes me really curious about his mother's side.

I'm really hoping we get at least a season, maybe two of Game of Thrones: The Walking Dead. Basically winter all over the entire damn world with white walkers making their way to Kings Landing.

I'll be disappointed if the threat is kept behind the wall.

Sure, that might be a general outline, but we're talking about an army of the dead that's months away from a decade long winter with a whole continent that is going to be able to do jack shit to stop the White Walkers.

"Congrats Danny, you won, you beat the White Walkers! You now rule over the now dead continent of Westeros with a dragon you were only able to control because of some kid was warging it."

Danny is still across The Narrow Sea and still has to deal with invading Westeros, taking over Kings Landing, dealing with Stanis (although by the time Danny gets there he might just be dead) and attempting to unite all of the kingdoms to fight with her.

Not only that, but you have the wild card of the little shit who is mad that Jon is breaking bread with his enemies who has immediate access to food and a salty second in command who wouldn't hesitate to help in the assassination of Jon.

I don't think it will all tie up with a neat little bow, but I do think the things I listed will happen. Will the succeed? Who knows? What will happen in the aftermath? Who knows? Will other unforeseen story elements emerge? Definitely.

That said, Game of Thrones can only "twist" so much before it has to land. Characters and story need to have an "arc" that actually has progression and matters to a degree. This doesn't mean it has to accomplish it in a way that is predictable and full of tropes, but the "red wedding" style twist can only happen so many times before it becomes irksome and predictable in and of itself.

A story should go somewhere. To end on "and then they all died lol!" is equally lazy story telling.

Who knows. Maybe they journey to the kingdom of the white walkers to destroy it only to discover something that actually turns Jon and Dany away from wanting to destroy them. Maybe they have to die themselves, saving humanity but leaving Westerns without rule and in tribalistic chaos. There's a lot of places to "land" while still succeeding.

Honestly that should still be put in spoilers. Even if it's a well known theory for those who have read the books or have been watching the show long enough to have had that theory spoiled by someone else. It's best just being the unspoken possibility then being thrown out there.

It's been thrown out in this thread for the past year basically.

After LF talked to Sansa about how the rebelion started (Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna Stark), coupled with the honorable Ned Stark coming home with a bastard boy with Stanis outright saying it wasn't his style to bang random whores, there is more than enough evidence that Jon is the offspring of Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark.

Ned doesn't kill kids, he didn't support assassination Danny in Season One and it's well within Ned's moral code to come back and be labled an adulterer than give up the fact that Rhaegar had a kid and have Robbert kill the kid. It's why Lyanna's death has basically been left to speculation, she probably died giving birth.

Hence Ned Stark's last words to Jon, "You don't have my name, but you have my blood".

Cersei is in some serious trouble but it's pretty obvious that Qyburn will stage a rescue with Zombie Mountain somehow, we've been reminded of him throughout the season. Still, the outcome could be anything.
The Highsparrow, Lancel, Margaery, Joras, even Tommen or Olenna
could end up dead somehow.

I don't really see what the Jaime or Arya chapters are going to contribute more this season. Seems they need more time to actually get somewhere.

I'm a Brienne fan so I'm a bit worried for her. Plenty of opportunity for her to get in a mess and get killed, especially since she carries something that is even more important now. But same thing here - some kind of confrontation is going down and we could lose
Stannis, Davos, Shireen, Brienne, Roose and/or Ramsay
. There's no chance all of them will live past episode 10. Sansa and Melisandre _should_ be safe.

I think we're done with casualties on Daenerys' side, or she won't have any major characters left.

And finally the Jon mess... anything could happen. Olly is obviously going to do something stupid. It's possible, but unlikely that Jon could die - his uniting the Watch and the wildlings being the point of his story, but on the other hand it would never last without him. On the other hand, things are looking too good for
Sam now. And Tormund got a bit too softy lately. Or they might do some redemption thingie with Alliser

Either way, two major battle situations are about to happen and there's a few potential places for deaths being set up. These last two episodes will be crazy.

This is the first time I've ever been in sync with the episodes, I always waited for the blurays before, until breaking down last week and getting the HBO stream. Exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom