• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendero

Credit Tyrion for having a way with words, plus she's running short on advisors.
I think the scene with them made it abundantly clear that she is craving sound advice from someone. She is young and inexperienced, and her advisors since Jorah left have been next to useless.
See. I understand why -given the circumstances & Tyrion's wit- she would eventually trust him enough. He went as far as to say that she needed to prove herself worthy as well.

My problem is with the pacing: the whole exchange took just a few minutes and all in the same episode. The directors should probably have spread that moment a bit. But I guess they wanted to pack the last 3 episodes full of exciting moments.

Still, I enjoyed their combo, and can't wait for my man Varys to arrive. Hopefully along with Illyrio Mopatis (the rich merchant). Think we have not seen him since he gifted the 3 Dragon eggs to Daenerys.

But after the showcase of the White walkers, not sure how invested I will be on Arya's assassin quest line. I like her, and Jaqen, and she + Gendry no doubt will have a major part later on. But it all seems so inconsequential at the face of the Winter invasion.

See. I understand why -given the circumstances & Tyrion's wit- she would eventually trust him enough. He went as far as to say that she needed to prove herself worthy as well.

My problem is with the pacing: the whole exchange took just a few minutes and all in the same episode. The directors should probably have spread that moment a bit. But I guess they wanted to pack the last 3 episodes full of exciting moments.

Still, I enjoyed their combo, and can't wait for my man Varys to arrive. Hopefully along with Illyrio Mopatis (the rich merchant). Think we have not seen him since he gifted the 3 Dragon eggs to Daenerys.

But after the showcase of the White walkers, not sure how invested I will be on Arya's assassin quest line. I like her, and Jaqen, and she + Gendry no doubt will have a major part later on. But it all seems so inconsequential at the face of the Winter invasion.

Yeah it did seem a bit rushed. Tyrion goes in saying " i don't really know you are a good leader yet, worthy of my advice " and within a few scenes is all " hey I see what they all see in you now ". Really fast turnaround via just a simple conversation.

Dany goes in immediately talking about him being her adviser. Why would she even suggest that right off the bat?

RDreamer

I said it before, but yeah those two Dany/Tyrion scenes should have been in different episodes. That both keeps up an interesting pace for viewers and makes the spacing a bit more believable for them getting along/trusting.

The pacing this season has been all kinds of weird and that last episode proved it more to me. In addition to splitting the Mereen scenes, they should have also had Jon's landing and talking to the Wildlings in one episode, and the attack in another. Again, keeps up the pacing and makes things a bit more believable.

Smashing everything into one episode was just strange.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is Drogon even " headed " anywhere? Seems to be like he has just been flying around on his own accord for awhile now. No evidence of the dragon actually heading in a certain direction.

How far was Valyria from Mereen? Cuz thats the last place we saw him.

He was last seen flying west right? When Jorah and Tyrion were going east, he was going in the opposite direction. Also remember Bran's vision of a dragon's shadow over King's Landing? I suspect that was Drogon.

I have more of a feeling that he is heading toward Bran than Jon though, especially with that old man in the tree last season who said Bran would fly.

televator

What makes you suspect that? Just curious.

The way he parted with Dany that one night seems to me like he was saying farewell before a long trip, and he did seem to be a long way from Dany once Tyrion saw him. Plus he was headed in the oposite direction from Tyrion -- toward Westeros.

I agree with the sentiment that the Danny and Tyrion segments being in one episode make no sense. I get that she's desperate for an adviser and that he's good with his words, but it makes no sense for those two scenes to be in one episode. This would have worked out better spread out, we get Danny and Tyrion seeing one another in episode 6 and spreads some of the better moments of the season especially for this season which seems to have saved most of its moments on the last 4 episodes of the season. I disagree about a few others about the Hardhome (?) segment being in two episodes. I expected that there would be some WW action but the fact that it came all in one episode made that much more surprising and it came out of nowhere. Also, they took 30 minutes for that entire segment so they took their time. They made the right decision there IMO.

It's becoming tough to go to neogaf and then quickly click to recent posts before looking at E3 leaks.

Monocle

Condense, condense, condense. That's this show's watchword. I'm not sure why, but as GoT's seasons have rolled on its pacing has accelerated. There's really no rush. HBO could keep the show going for 10 seasons if they wanted to, with no serious decline in viewership.

Is Drogon even " headed " anywhere? Seems to be like he has just been flying around on his own accord for awhile now. No evidence of the dragon actually heading in a certain direction.

How far was Valyria from Mereen? Cuz thats the last place we saw him.

We've seen visions of Drogon flying over Kings Landing.

My guess is at the end of the season Drogon is going to properly fuck up Kings Landing, which might explain the visions of the cititdel having it's roof blown off.

Also, Tyerion was heading east, Westeros is to the west :)

The big question here is why someone would name their dragon Drogon. That's like me naming a cat Cot or a horse Harse.

inb4 someone saying it's valyrian or some such

Chaos17

I liked the political part of Game of Thrones until all the Stark got rolled over.
Now I'm happy to see again some fantasy.

Vagabundo

Condense, condense, condense. That's this show's watchword. I'm not sure why, but as GoT's seasons have rolled on its pacing has accelerated. There's really no rush. HBO could keep the show going for 10 seasons if they wanted to, with no serious decline in viewership.

Possible problems with keeping all the actors around and the kids are getting older fast.

I had the same thoughts myself, but they seemed to have plans it this way from the start. Strange I think. There could be a lot more development of some of the arcs, and some of them seem half-assed - sand snakes assemble.

Epix

Is there an artistic goal in mind when the producers decide to have each episode directed by different people?

Seems more often than not we're left with a disjointed mess and variabilities in pacing that occasionally produce gems (last episode).

What's the rationale behind this approach?

Is there an artistic goal in mind when the producers decide to have each episode directed by different people?

Seems more often than not we're left with a disjointed mess and variabilities in pacing that occasionally produce gems (last episode).

that's how most TV is done? the consistent thread in television shows tend to be the showrunners, often the directors are work for hires who tend to add something to their works but really aren't as much the main artistic conductors than how they are with films.

There are some great directors of TV shows, no doubt, but TV is really about who is doing the showrunning.

Nikodemos

not sure theyre from the same parents but if they are, you really want to see what the results of dragon incest would be?
According to various characters from the show, increasingly deformed and stunted dragons. As... err, can't remember who, in Season 1 said, the last Westerosi dragon, a descendant of the three brought over by Aegon the Conqueror, was about the size of a large sheep and couldn't fly.

turtle553

According to various characters from the show, increasingly deformed and stunted dragons. As... err, can't remember who, in Season 1 said, the last Westerosi dragon, a descendant of the three brought over by Aegon the Conqueror, was about the size of a large sheep and couldn't fly.

Some theorize the reason dragons grew smaller was their distance from their natural homeland in Valyria that had magical properties. Could explain why Drogon is flying around an abandoned city instead of chilling in Mereen.

It is way too much work. Cary Fukunaga did it with True Detective and it was just ridiculous supposedly. There is no way you can get a director to put in that much effort.

Compare a series like Game of Thrones, which requires 9+ hours of content per year, vs making a single movie which often takes about the same amount of time to create at most 1/3 of that.

You misinterpreted that scene.

Qyburn tells her that Pycelle has called for Kevan to return to the city and he is now residing over the Small Council.

Kevan is the one Cersei requests to see but he won't come.

Speaking of that scene.
Cersei didn't let Dr. Frankenstein finish, I think?
His "there's another way to get you out" and his "the work continues" when they were interrupted still makes me think Franken-Mountain will burst through the wall during the trial like the kool aid man.

nubbe

"Stunt doubles for "Game of Thrones"
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/389fej/stunt_doubles_for_game_of_thrones/

rRyMvDT.jpg

Stunt Dany is a better Dany than real Dany.

Hard Spaceballs Flashback

l1YqBA2.jpg

sangreal

Speaking of that scene.
Cersei didn't let Dr. Frankenstein finish, I think?
His "there's another way to get you out" and his "the work continues" when they were interrupted still makes me think Franken-Mountain will burst through the wall during the trial like the kool aid man.

He was definitely referring to fraken-mountain

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think they were kind of stuck with having Arya going through training this seasin as it would be too jarring if two Stark kids disappeared for a season to return as bad ass assassin's or druids after a quick flashback training montage.

Blader

There are logistical concerns (cost, actors' contracts) and maybe the writers just feel they only have 7-8 years of story to tell.

It's extremely challenging and exhausting in general, and probably impossible for something like Game of Thrones, which shoots in multiple countries concurrently and not in order (not in terms of shooting scenes for a given episode out of order, but shooting all 10 eps of the season out of order). One person could not oversee and manage a production of that scale on their own.

I think they were kind of stuck with having Arya going through training this seasin as it would be too jarring if two Stark kids disappeared for a season to return as bad ass assassin's or druids after a quick flashback training montage.

That and the fact that she's one of the show's most popular characters. No way in hell the double Ds would not have Arya in a season.

Epix

There are logistical concerns (cost, actors' contracts) and maybe the writers just feel they only have 7-8 years of story to tell.

It's extremely challenging and exhausting in general, and probably impossible for something like Game of Thrones, which shoots in multiple countries concurrently and not in order (not in terms of shooting scenes for a given episode out of order, but shooting all 10 eps of the season out of order). One person could not oversee and manage a production of that scale on their own.

Ok, so it's more out of necessity than artistic choice.

number11

What age do Direwolves get to when they become fully grown? I was hoping we'd see them the size of the first Direwolf we saw in episode 1.

funkypie

Banned
Is jons mate the crow who looks like bronn dead? Last you see him he is in the hut with the giant when it is attacked.

I hope jorhan finally gets to sleep with danni before he turns to stone, the guy has put in one hell of a shift.

Prine

Banned
Local newspapers are saying that a bunch of scenes of the next season will be filmed at some new Spanish locations around the coast, more precisely Girona and Peñíscola.

The old quarter of Girona can be seen in Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (amazing film, BTW).

4RO0AVP.jpg

Are these old moorish locations.? I remember GRRM mentioning Dorne is based on Moorish Spain

Venture

As bad as the Dorne scenes have been I wouldn't mind seeing more of Myrcella and her fiancé and Oberyn's brother. Seems like they could turn into interesting characters.

As bad as the Dorne scenes have been I wouldn't mind seeing more of Myrcella and her fiancé and Oberyn's brother. Seems like they could turn into interesting characters.
There was one terrible scene and one average one, the others were good IMO. I think we should wait and see what happens from the jail scene before everyone deems it pointless, though there's two amazing reasons it wasn't already but alas. And the terrible one from what I read was due to incredible time constraints at the location. Gaf overreacting is nothing new. The story could certainly get more interesting, but I don't see their purpose at the moment. Tyrion left them out when he mentioned the houses that can ally with Danny, which seems like one of those terrible foreshadowings that anyone can see a mile away that they've been doing this season (my only real issue with this season). What I'm saying is I'm worried about their story other than the possible ending where everyone fights off the WW from Dorne.
funkypie said:
Is jons mate the crow who looks like bronn dead? Last you see him he is in the hut with the giant when it is attacked.

I hope jorhan finally gets to sleep with danni before he turns to stone, the guy has put in one hell of a shift.
Ed lived. He ran with Jon after seeing the human version of Niagra Falls, aka GoT outdoing the Walking Dead in 20 minutes for everything they've done so far.

Anyone notice that epic camera shot of Jon Snow as he runs back to the hut to retrieve the dragon glass, amid the battle? Looked to be a extended steadicam shot. Awesome.
Yeah. I did. I love those kind of shots. I believe there was a shot like that during the fight at the wall last season with Jon Snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom