• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxter432

clicked on page 1 again, all the characters pictured in the OP's cast section have made it all 8 episodes so far (Bariston wasn't listed)! way to go guys! Bronn and Jon have come the closest to death
lots of them are in a jail cell though, haha.

Bran has barely done anything besides getting crippled, I cannot love him or hate him at this point.

Well, except from escaping the siege of Winterfell, saving Jon from Wildlings, getting past the wall, and running into an old wizard after escaping the Army of Darkness. I'd say for someone who can't even walk that's pretty impressive.

Tuffty

When you're out in the club with your mates but remember the threat of the White Walkers beyond the Wall

11391505_10155591759490024_849172202471225737_n.jpg

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I was thinking; why would Emilia Clarke need a stunt double? Is it that tricky to sit on that throne in Meereen? The dragons in the crypt are mostly CGI IIRC, real dragons only appear on screen for like 2% of the time, due to worksafety regulations.

Vagabundo

I was thinking; why would Emilia Clarke need a stunt double? Is it that tricky to sit on that throne in Meereen? The dragons in the crypt are mostly CGI IIRC, real dragons only appear on screen for like 2% of the time, due to worksafety regulations.

The real ones are probably defanged and declawed too... Quite sad. :'(

rezuth

Could be used as a stand in for certain scenes that she might not be able to make it too. I have no clue honestly.

Crispy75

Could be used as a stand in for certain scenes that she might not be able to make it too. I have no clue honestly.

If the shot doesn't include her face, you can shoot it with her double. Very handy if you need to re-shoot a single line from a single angle, but the actor isn't present.

raindoc

Finally got to watch this last night.

Holy shit.

From "Night's Watch, with me!" to the giant stompinh wights to valyrian steel awesomeness, this was the most fun I had watching anything fantasy-related since The Return of the King. Epic.

effzee

So looking at the map, I know the Wildlings can't go south cause of the Wall but why couldn't they use the seas to go around?

Seems unguarded.

KorrZ

So looking at the map, I know the Wildlings can't go south cause of the Wall but why couldn't they use the seas to go around?

Seems unguarded.

Until Mance united the tribes, the Wildlings were split up into a bunch of bickering and competing tribes. The logistical nightmare of trying to mass migrate an entire population is hard to accomplish under those circumstances. Any small attempts at landing would most certainly be repelled by the Night's Watch on the shore.

It's also not even clear if the Wildlings have the skills to build anything more than tiny row boats that they could use to sail down with a sizable force.

E92 M3

Awesome episode - definitely not expect such a huge battle. I love that the generals of the undead army had a lot of screen time.

My favorite part of the episode: Jon sailing away while staring at the thing standing on the deck and then the credits started with no music. Shit got very real.

Seems unguarded.

The bay of seals is risky to navigate, you need good boats for that
Wildlings have jackshit, only some wood and no good tools

Seems unguarded.

If the Iron Islands couldn't get much done and they were an actual organized force with clear goals in mind what makes you think a rando wildling tribe could get it done?

Awesome episode - definitely not expect such a huge battle. I love that the generals of the undead army had a lot of screen time.

My favorite part of the episode: Jon sailing away while staring at the thing standing on the deck and then the credits started with no music. Shit got very real.

The Night King.

The fact that they were so shook they forgot to row made it so much chilling and made the WW even more intimidating.

Note: Very early and minor spoiler comparison to Witcher 3 spoilers below:
I'm not far into the Witcher 3 but the Wild Hunt, the main antagonists seem to be very similar to WW. It's eerily similar, so much that one of the two writers must have been heavily inspired by the other. Though I have no idea if the Wild Hunt are as they are in the books or if it's pure fan fiction from CDPR writers. Anyone know if the Wild Hunt play (any role) a role in Sapkowski 's books/novels?

E92 M3

The Night King.

Where is the name revealed?

The fact that they were so shook they forgot to row made it so much chilling and made the WW even more intimidating.

I'm not far into the Witcher 3 but the Wild Hunt, the main antagonists seem to be very similar to WW. It's eerily similar, so much that one of the two writers must have been heavily inspired by the other. Though I have no idea if the Wild Hunt are as they are in the books or if it's pure fan fiction from CDPR writers. Anyone know if the Wild Hunt play (any role) a role in Sapkowski 's books/novels?

Easy on the Witcher spoilers I haven't even started it =/

Just like almost all of The Witcher, the Wild Hunt is rooted in Scandanavian and Eastern European mythology. Not a new concept at all, as dozens of writers have featured them.

From wikipedia:

"The Wild Hunt is an ancient folk myth prevalent across Northern, Western and Central Europe. The fundamental premise in all instances is the same: a phantasmal, spectral group of huntsmen with the accoutrements of hunting, with horses and hounds in mad pursuit across the skies or along the ground, or just above it."

And yes, they feature in the books.

i love that transition to credits.. deafening silence among every person in the scene with only the sound of waters flowing as the other thing you can hear. it's like they took you to what JS was feeling when he was at that boat staring at the OG WW. No music needed.. Let our feelings sit and marinade for a few more minutes into the credits. I was in fuckin awe like i've never been after watching a TV show or a movie.

Yeah that was my favourite part too. Really intense. I got a 'The Birds' vibe from that scene, with all the ghouls just standing there perfectly still and quiet.

E92 M3

i love that transition to credits.. deafening silence among every person in the scene with only the sound of waters flowing as the other thing you can hear. it's like they took you to what JS was feeling when he was at that boat staring at the OG WW. No music needed.. Let our feelings sit and marinade for a few more minutes into the credits. I was in fuckin awe like i've never been after watching a TV show or a movie.

The director did a fantastic job - it was perfect.

Yeah that was my favourite part too. Really intense. I got a 'The Birds' vibe from that scene, with all the ghouls just standing there perfectly still and quiet.

I never watched 'The Birds'. Should I?

It was talked about in some official HBO stuff. That being said, I find the naming strange. There is no way you would make that connection if you just watched the show.

Ah I avoid that stuff.

7aged

I still don't understand what Olenna gained by shopping Cercei to the sparrow. It seems her two grandkids and heirs are still locked up. What's the point if she didn't cut a deal to release them? The situation for the Tyrells is no better.

Lorcain

If the Iron Islands couldn't get much done and they were an actual organized force with clear goals in mind what makes you think a rando wildling tribe could get it done?
I've been really dissapointed with Ironborn warriors. I was expecting them to be like cthulhu vikings, controlling the sea lanes, kicking ass during raids, and being a major player as the dominant maritime power. But instead they seem to be fodder for the other houses, with weak succession lines.

jediyoshi

I still don't understand what Olenna gained by shopping Cercei to the sparrow. It seems her two grandkids and heirs are still locked up. What's the point if she didn't cut a deal to release them? The situation for the Tyrells is no better.

We don't know that's what happened. Her scenes with the high sparrow and littlefinger would point in the opposite direction. Cersei getting locked up was more just a matter of time with Lancel being involved.

7aged

We don't know that's what happened. Her scenes with the high sparrow and littlefinger would point in the opposite direction. Cersei getting locked up was more just a matter of time with Lancel being involved.

I guess. But there was no indication of a deal. Nothing on what happened to Marge and Loras.

jediyoshi

I guess. But there was no indication of a deal. Nothing on what happened to Marge and Loras.

I don't think there was a deal at all, wouldn't have been necessary for them to go after Cersei. I see Lancel, like the high sparrow, purely acting on principle at this point, just working their way through the chain of command. The Olenna/high sparrow conversation was more about contrasting the entirety of the game and its players to a force that doesn't follow their typical rules.

turtle553

At the very least she brought Cercei down a peg and makes it much more likely(but not certain) the king will try and overthrow the Faith Militant. If she had anything to do with this at all.

I'm little confused. So Jon Snow rescued about 5000 wildlings, many of which seem to be women and children. I thought his mission was to get manpower for Stannis' army. Did he only bring back about a thousand or so wildlings capable of fighting? If so that's a drop in the bucket for Stannis' army. I dont think he'll be pleased.

Jarnet87

I'm little confused. So Jon Snow rescued about 5000 wildlings, many of which seem to be women and children. I thought his mission was to get manpower for Stannis' army. Did he only bring back about a thousand or so wildlings capable of fighting? If so that's a drop in the bucket for Stannis' army. I dont think he'll be pleased.

didn't he turn down joining Stannis to stay at the Wall.

It's something
They will also help in the fight against white walkers at the wall if it happens

Maybe, but they destroyed Littlefinger's brothel which was a very important source of money and information. It was really the foundation of where his power and influence comes from.

By having Cersei locked up, now the sparrows are her problem too, they're all in the same boat. So Olenna's plan could be to have Cersei deal with the Sparrows herself now.

didn't he turn down joining Stannis to stay at the Wall.
I thought he decided to bring manpower for Stannis. Remember when Ser Davos asked Stannis to wait for Jon to return, and Stannis insisted they leave at once? Thats clear that wildlings are for Mannis Army.

I know everyone thinks Jon Snow has plot armor now, which is exactly why I expect him to have the big death this season/next episode.

Don't do this to me :(

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
He was rescuing them because it was the right thing to do. The other motives were to prevent them becoming zombies and that they would fight the whitewalkers when the time came. I don't think they were ever going to join Stannis except in that capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom