• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of future events happening at the fighting pit, the 2nd trailer of season 5(released back in february i think?) spoiled it a little too much:

Look at your own risk, don't say I didn't warn you, it's not something minor :
Really curious to see how that turns out, i mean all the major characters(except Tyrion) seems in deep shit.

They just swear their loyalty to her and she becomes....

sangreal

Speaking of future events happening at the fighting pit, the 2nd trailer of season 5(released back in february i think?) spoiled it a little too much:

Look at your own risk, don't say I didn't warn you, it's not something minor :
Really curious to see how that turns out, i mean all the major characters(except Tyrion) seems in deep shit.

My money is on Drogon saving the day. Or Tyrion, since he is conspicuously missing

different part of that old preview:
Frankly, I'm more worried about the Stannis (wife) scene in that trailer

Volimar

h9brfR3.gif

bengraven

*from the dark recesses of spoilerdom comes a graven*

Hey guys, just to let you know we're going to be having a re-read of the books...that...don't exist.

So I was wondering - if any of you are interested, I can probably find the time to do a thread for first time readers. A NO SPOILER FIRST TIME READERS thread. I figured since you've gone through five seasons, maybe some of you are itching for a chance to give them a read for whatever reason. I wanted to extend an olive branch to you guys since the books and show are slowly culminating, but there's still a few things that might be spoilery and we decided it's probably safer to do another thread. We'll be trying to keep the TV talk down to a minimum in there, just to let you know, in case we have GOT virgins who haven't seen the show either. But I don't see why we can't just compare the current events we're reading in the books with whatever episode had paralleled this.

Let me know - we've got a lot of guys doing the re-read, but I really wanted to involve first time readers as well. Let me know so I can make a more first time ready friendly thread. If enough of you want to do it, we'll be starting the Sunday AFTER the last episode of this year.

*disappears in a spoiler-free cloud of smoke*

Volimar

Hey guys, just to let you know we're going to be having a re-read of the books...that...don't exist.

So I was wondering - if any of you are interested, I can probably find the time to do a thread for first time readers. A NO SPOILER FIRST TIME READERS thread. I figured since you've gone through five seasons, maybe some of you are itching for a chance to give them a read for whatever reason. I wanted to extend an olive branch to you guys since the books and show are slowly culminating, but there's still a few things that might be spoilery and we decided it's probably safer to do another thread.

Let me know - we've got a lot of guys doing the re-read, but I really wanted to involve first time readers as well. Let me know so I can make a more first time ready friendly thread. If enough of you want to do it, we'll be starting the Sunday AFTER the last episode of this year.

BURN THE WITCH!!!

Fantastical

Death Prophet

So I was wondering - if any of you are interested, I can probably find the time to do a thread for first time readers. A NO SPOILER FIRST TIME READERS thread. I figured since you've gone through five seasons, maybe some of you are itching for a chance to give them a read for whatever reason. I wanted to extend an olive branch to you guys since the books and show are slowly culminating, but there's still a few things that might be spoilery and we decided it's probably safer to do another thread. We'll be trying to keep the TV talk down to a minimum in there, just to let you know, in case we have GOT virgins who haven't seen the show either. But I don't see why we can't just compare the current events we're reading in the books with whatever episode had paralleled this.

How would you do it? Book by book for a certain amount of time? I've read the first book so I guess I would wait a while? This would actually encourage me to read the books, so I'm interested.

bengraven

How would you do it? Book by book for a certain amount of time? I've read the first book so I guess I would wait a while? This would actually encourage me to read the books, so I'm interested.

About 6-7 chapters a week. They go by pretty fast - GRRM has a habit of going off on long rants about food or heraldry, but when he's not he's writing very snap quick dialogue and dramatic things that make you want to turn the page and find out what's going on. To be done before next season we'll need to cover about a chapter a day.

If you've never been in a book club thread, this is what we do. I'll post sneak peeks of the next six chapters on Sunday night. During this time we're free to discuss whatever is happening.

The sneak peeks look like this (I'll be editing them a bit in the NO SPOILERS thread to make them spoiler free):

AGOT 1: Prologue - Three rangers in the Night's Watch track a group of wildling raiders beyond the Wall.
AGOT 2: Bran I - Robb Stark and Jon Snow discover a litter of direwolves, one pup for each of Eddard Stark's six children.
AGOT 3: Catelyn I - Catelyn Tully informs her husband, Eddard, that Jon Arryn, an old friend of Eddard's, has died and that King Robert Baratheon is coming to Winterfell.

Since this is the FIRST time many may be reading it (and many in fact may even be exposed to it if they never saw the show), maybe you would like spoiler tags? Be like "I'm on Bran 2 SPOILER".

Ramsay ends up being a hero by the end of the series, playing a huge role in defeating the WW.

In all honesty though, as much as I dislike his character I wouldn't mind that. It would be kind of shitty if only the characters we liked ended up playing a big role in the end game and not the horrible ones because I'm sure they'd like to continue living just as much as the rest of them.
Everyone is on some level of a piece of shit human being other than Sam, Jon and Sansa so far in the story. Fuck Ramsay. I want his and especially Roose's comeuppance to come by the end of the season. I'm fairly confident that it will happen for both of them, particularly Roose.

"Hey Honeyy, just killed two WW and won another battle.. now bend over and let me continue being a piece of shit to you Sansa." Do you want this to happen in season 6 and 7?....

I can't for the life of me remember if they resolved this or not. Thinking not.

What was the the story with that comet thing in the sky in season 2?

Simplet

I was rewatching the last episodes while waiting for the new one and I have to say Jon Snow has some loyal fucking crows. They not only came back for him, they actually waited there while the zombies tore down the walls and jumped down the cliff, up until the very moment he ran toward the docks, fifteen meters ahead of the entire army of the dead.

raindoc

I was rewatching the last episodes while waiting for the new one and I have to say Jon Snow has some loyal fucking crows. They not only came back for him, they actually waited there while the zombies tore down the walls and jumped down the cliff, up until the very moment he ran toward the docks, fifteen meters ahead of the entire army of the dead.
After charging into the attacking waves of wights while hundreds of wildlings ran the other way. The Night's Watch has a new fan over here.

cormack12

Gold Member
Tonight/tomrorows episode brief synopsis:

Stannis (Stephen Dillane) confronts a troubling decision. Jon (Kit Harington) returns to The Wall. Mace (Roger Ashton-Griffiths) visits the Iron Bank. Arya (Maisie Williams) encounters someone from her past. Dany (Emilia Clarke) reluctantly oversees a traditional celebration of athleticism.

Wonder who Ayra sees? I'm thinking of where she is - coastal village - how far did Gendry row :p

Think we can all guess what the difficult decision is going to be.

Stannis (Stephen Dillane) confronts a troubling decision. Jon (Kit Harington) returns to The Wall. Mace (Roger Ashton-Griffiths) visits the Iron Bank. Arya (Maisie Williams) encounters someone from her past. Dany (Emilia Clarke) reluctantly oversees a traditional celebration of athleticism.

Wonder who Ayra sees? I'm thinking of where she is - coastal village - how far did Gendry row :p

I'm guessing
Arya sees Meryn Trant since he will be in Braavos with Mace. So Arya might get to cross a name off the list tonight. Unless it's Syrio!

boxter432

So:
Ramsay shows up and messes things up in stannis' camp prompting a relook into shireen's sacrifice

Jon gets pushback from dumb crows not opening the gate

Arya sees Trant while Mace visits the bank

Fighting colosseum is epic part of ep 9

New Episode Tonight: The Dance of Dragons

Stannis confronts a difficult decision. Jon returns to the Wall. Mace pays a visit to the Iron Bank. Arya encounters someone from her past. Dany reluctantly oversees a traditional celebration of athleticism.

Everyone is on some level of a piece of shit human being other than Sam, Jon and Sansa so far in the story. Fuck Ramsay. I want his and especially Roose's comeuppance to come by the end of the season. I'm fairly confident that it will happen for both of them, particularly Roose.

"Hey Honeyy, just killed two WW and won another battle.. now bend over and let me continue being a piece of shit to you Sansa." Do you want this to happen in season 6 and 7?....

Tommen never harmed anyone, Shireen is a fucking angel, Hodor is a saint, Pod, Gendry, Rickon, Davos etc etc. I'm sure there are plenty others who aren't scum.

And no, I don't want Sansa to have to go through that. But that doesn't mean she can't be free from him as well as him playing a major roll in the end game. Again, it would be ridiculous is it was only the characters we liked and not the horrible ones. Mainly, the ones we liked, yes Stannis has done some shitty things, so has Bronn, but we like them.

aravuus

Finally caught up after dropping season 5 after the terribly boring first three episodes. It got better, just not as good as any of the earlier seasons. Episode 8 was amazing, though, and I'm pretty excited to see what'll happen in the last two episodes.

Sober

Holy shit didn't expect
Mace to show up. Propably the first real scene focusing on him.
LOL actually,
wasn't sure the show/books were serious and Mace actually makes it to Braavos. Thought Meryn Trant would've gutted him and thrown him overboard already.

Also just highlights how spectacularly hilarious travel times are in this show if we're being told everything linearly.

UrbanRats

Margaery and Loras' father.

Do people actually pay attention to what they're watching?

I'm already pretty bad with names in general, then factor in that i'm watching plenty of TV shows, along with movies, and all the other shit in life, with GoT being relatively low on my priority list, so yeah, don't take it personally if i don't immediately remember the name of every secondary character we probably saw twice on screen, especially when the crucial information would've been mentioning the family name.

Ushay

Finally caught up after dropping season 5 after the terribly boring first three episodes. It got better, just not as good as any of the earlier seasons. Episode 8 was amazing, though, and I'm pretty excited to see what'll happen in the last two episodes.

Yeah this season escalated pretty damn fast in terms of content, like pretty much every season so far.

Episode 8 was the best of the series for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom