• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stannis will destroy Ramsay. Ramsay is demented but picks on the weak. Ramsay thinks he a badass by only taking 20 men against Stannis's army but he'll be surprised when Stannis charges in by himself and wrecks those 20.

I'm hoping
I know you're joking but there's no conceivable way Stannis army is prepared for a sneak attack. They are stuck in snow, horses are dying and many soldiers are sick and unwell. Easy pickings to be honest. I'm just tired of Ramsay and his shit eating face getting away with it all the time. At least when Joffrey was around Tyrion was there to bitchslap him or cut him off. Ramsay is an unmitigated asshole.

I know you're joking but there's no conceivable way Stannis army is prepared for a sneak attack. They are stuck in snow, horses are dying and many soldiers are sick and unwell. Easy pickings to be honest. I'm just tired of Ramsay and his shit eating face getting away with it all the time. At least when Joffrey was around Tyrion was there to bitchslap him or cut him off. Ramsay is an unmitigated asshole.
I don't see how the best strategist general in Westeros doesn't foresee a sneak attack. That's why this whole thing sounds completely unrealistic to me.

rezuth

I don't see how the best strategist general in Westeros doesn't foresee a sneak attack. That's why this whole thing sounds completely unrealistic to me.

I don't know. They are outnumbered and have the higher ground and protection. Sneaking out to attack wouldn't make much sense considering they could just safely starve them out.

20 men wouldn't stand a chance vs. a quarter of Stans army, it's huge if you remember back to last season when they surrounded the wildlings. Sneak attack or not, there is no way. I agree with Dragoon and I've been saying the same thing all along, he's not a badass, he's crazy as hell, but all he does is pick on the weak and facing someone formidable will only get him his ass served properly.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Ramsay doesn't go in there and stealth kidnap Shireen.

He got sneak attacked (somewhat) by wildfire in his siege of KL :(
That was different. Even with wildfire, they would have won. It pretty much took KL, Tyrion being a genius, Tywin & the Lannisters, and the Tyrells to beat him.
I don't know. They are outnumbered and have the higher ground and protection. Sneaking out to attack wouldn't make much sense considering they could just safely starve them out.
I can see why Ramsay does it. He's been wrecking scrubs all of his life, he hasn't fought the tough guys yet and he seems arrogant enough to believe he can outmaneuver some of the best in Westeros as he does some plebs like the Greyjoys. Also, he clearly has father issues and a bastard-complex. Sansa tugging at that two episodes ago probably just ensured to push him enough to do it.

But for him to be successful just seems like total bullshit. Though, I'll await the episode before I can make a real judgement. I'm just expecting something horrible to be done to Stannis from him, and then me rolling my eyes at the disbelief.

gutshot

This is sick.

CGwXC_UVAAAaQDa.jpg:large

Kyou

I could see Stannis capturing Ramsay and then going to ransom him to Roose who is all "naw, I'm good, got a backup heir"

Lorcain

Ramsay is a sick sob. He knows how to break the will to fight of people. That's kind of his thing. With that kind of knowledge, Ramsay could wage a very effective guerrilla warfare effort against Stannis aimed at breaking his army's will to fight. We already heard from Davos that a good number (all?) of their sellswords left.

Ramsay and his goons (and dogs) could harass and attrit the weaker Stannis units, using their knowledge of the terrain. Create terror and havoc on the flanks and rear, leaving behind awful examples of his cruelty. It might not be an outright defeat for Stannis, but it definitely could force him into making a rash decision while he still has some men willing to fight.

dLMN8R

What I'm hoping for is that there's more to the White Walkers than them simply being evil for evil's sake. I want to learn more about what their deal is, why they want it, why it's thousands of years between appearances, etc....

mantidor

We have only seen him breaking one person, and that took a while, so I'm still not convinced that Ramsay could realistically do anything to Stannis army. The annoying thing is that he probably will, shirtless and all.

wiibomb

Breh the ASOIAF wiki isn't safe for show watchers, at all. Ask folks for info through PMs or stick with the show's official wiki.

Oh I'm very sorry, I just found that page, that only page that had great info and I didn't see any spoilers there, I think it does have even more than the show wiki, but I haven't checked any other page..

anyway, I'll link to only the show wiki on the future then, sorry

Sendero

The point the series is showing, is that Stannis is facing a strong enemy, well entrenched, that knows the area and is properly trained to fight in the snow.

While Ramsey is not specially liked after the whole Sansa rape event, it would be even more idiotic if he goes, and get killed without accomplish anything. Who wants that?

Furthermore, both Reek and Sansa needs to get their freedom & revenge by their own merits to grow as characters. And for that, they kind of need Ramsey back.

I'm more afraid that Ser Onion may put his life on the line, protecting Shireen from her mother and Melissandre. He is one of the best characters of the show.

This is sick..

Edit: Awesome poster! One of the best yet.

Nameless

Unless Shireen's sacrifice magically stops the snowfall, which certainly is a possibility, I think Stannis gets trapped in the North, or maybe even decides to stay and battle the White Walkers after Jon reports back what he witnessed at Hardhome. Melisandre already said that is the true war and everything else is meaningless, which has never been more apparent.

Doubt it will happen this season, but it would be really cool if The Wall was overrun and an unholy alliance of Stannis, the Boltons, and Littlefinger(who's presumably leading the Vale's forced north) were force to band together to stop the WW from sweeping through the Northern Kingdom.

Volimar

Could someone explain to me why the wildlings never built boats to simply go around the wall?

I'm sure that some have, considering the stories of raids for generations. The problem is that the moment they get south they're hunted down like animals.

Nameless

Could someone explain to me why the wildlings never built boats to simply go around the wall?

It was hard enough uniting all those clans, so building a fleet to transport them was never really realistic for Mance? Plus East Watch by the Sea exists to defend the coastal area.

Sendero

In the past? I assume they have used small boats before, since there have been multiple recollections of them laying waste on farms and towns near the wall.

Now, big ships to handle their current whole army? That requires proper tools, buildings, materials and specially time, neither of which they had. They just arrived after escaping Stannis, and were quickly butchered. Plus, I'm guessing the waters near Eastwatch-by-the-sea are not easily navigable.

Curufinwe

We have only seen him breaking one person, and that took a while, so I'm still not convinced that Ramsay could realistically do anything to Stannis army. The annoying thing is that he probably will, shirtless and all.

I hope Davis cuts his feet and hands off, but they keep him alive long enough to burn him alive.

Since we're talking about north of the Wall, one thing that has always bugged me is that nobody covers their damn head. Even just south of the Wall, you'd get frostbite on your ears and nose within an hour if it's really as cold as they say it is, especially now that winter is upon us.

I hope Davis cuts his feet and hands off, but they keep him alive long enough to burn him alive.
lol it's Davos but Davis is pretty funny.

wbsmcs

What if a wildling just simply wants to live south of the wall and is compliant to be a servant of a greater house? If Osha didn't attack Bran, would she be able to show up at a city and carry on with her life?

Sendero

What if a wildling just simply wants to live south of the wall and is compliant to be a servant of a greater house? If Osha didn't attack Bran, would she be able to show up at a city and carry on with her life?
The Northern kingdom clearly despise them, given the long story of confrontations and raids. I feel that any Wildling caught would have been either incarcerated/tortured, executed, or enslaved (even if Ned was against that practice).

If I were one, sure as hell would try to blend with the society rather than hope for mercy.

Edit: That's why everyone is wary of John's proposal. Centuries of mutual hate against it.

Sendero

I usually don't post that often but ..
If Stannis captures him, there's no doubt he'll let Melisandre sacrifice him due to having royal blood.
Whenever Melissandre refers to royal blood, it seems to only refers to lineage tied to King's Landing throne. So Ramsey would not fit.

But it's interesting. I mean, Robert Baratheon became king through a rebellion, not by birth right. How would that confer him and his bloodline, "magic properties"? Did he descend from the Targaryens (or at least Stannis + Gendry)? Or was it due to something more enigmatic like "destiny"? One of the many things not explained yet.

Edit: Fair enough.

seeing as you responded ill just remove it... apparently i can't even spoiler tag potential spoilers that may be from the book my bad!

I do think it was at one point addressed on the show, but ill leave it at that.

undecided

Was the HBO Now stream's picture quality falling apart due to the snow in that long battle for anyone else? I need to go back and re-watch it on a different day to test, but it makes me miss having an actual HBO TV channel.

I usually don't post that often but ..Whenever Melissandre refers to royal blood, it seems to only refers to lineage tied to King's Landing throne. So Ramsey would not fit.

But it's interesting. I mean, Robert Baratheon became king through a rebellion, not by birth right. How would that confer him and his bloodline, "magic properties"? Did he descend from the Targaryens (or at least Stannis + Gendry)? Or was it due to something more enigmatic like "destiny"? One of the many things not explained yet.

Edit: I actually expanded my question while you put your comment. Interesting. Yeah, that might be an important spoiler.

She doesn't refer to royal blood, she always refers to the power of "Kings Blood", meaning blood relation to the king. If it was just royal blood it wouldn't mean shit because there are a ton of houses he could have used for his sacrifice.

Was the HBO Now stream's picture quality falling apart due to the snow in that long battle for anyone else? I need to go back and re-watch it on a different day to test, but it makes me miss having an actual HBO TV channel.

HBOgo was bad, too. The video is never 100% smooth, like it's missing a frame every now and then, and that shit really came to a head during that scene. It made half of that conflict impossible to make out

HBOgo was bad, too. The video is never 100% smooth, like it's missing a frame every now and then, and that shit really came to a head during that scene. It made half of that conflict impossible to make out

HBO Go is such a joke. Picture and sound quality is terrible, but the connection strength is inexcusable.

Every Sunday I have to switch between my Xbox One and Playstation 4 depending on which one is working at the time.

Jarnet87

Ramsay is a sick sob. He knows how to break the will to fight of people. That's kind of his thing. With that kind of knowledge, Ramsay could wage a very effective guerrilla warfare effort against Stannis aimed at breaking his army's will to fight. We already heard from Davos that a good number (all?) of their sellswords left.

Ramsay and his goons (and dogs) could harass and attrit the weaker Stannis units, using their knowledge of the terrain. Create terror and havoc on the flanks and rear, leaving behind awful examples of his cruelty. It might not be an outright defeat for Stannis, but it definitely could force him into making a rash decision while he still has some men willing to fight.

Can't wait for some more Ramsay in combat. We've only seen him twice I think? Once when he kills a couple men chasing Theon, and when Yara attempted the rescue.

HBO Go is such a joke. Picture and sound quality is terrible, but the connection strength is inexcusable.

Every Sunday I have to switch between my Xbox One and Playstation 4 depending on which one is working at the time.

lucky you, i have comcast so I can't even use one of my sony consoles for HBOgo : / Still, i had my PC connected directly to a landline and it's a freaking PC, why the hell is the video stuttering like i'm using flash on an pentium 2 pc from a dozen years ago?

lucky you, i have comcast so I can't even use a console for HBOgo : / Still, i had my PC connected directly to a landline and it's a freaking PC, why the hell is the video stuttering like i'm using flash on an pentium 2 pc from a dozen years ago?

even on consoles, it doesn't even have 5.1 or any subwoofer support

at least I don't have to feel dumb buying the blu rays when they come out, as I finally get to watch the show in full quality.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't know about anybody else but that little kid whatever his name is was really suspicious when talking to Sam. There was just something foreboding about that entire scene. I bet he poisoned his food.

Leyasu

Banned
I don't know about anybody else but that little kid whatever his name is was really suspicious when talking to Sam. There was just something foreboding about that entire scene. I bet he poisoned his food.

Gotta say, if he poisons Sam, I wont miss him.

sangreal

dont worry, everyone agrees olly is going to do something bad -- we just aren't sure to who

they've been foreshadowing it for like 4 episodes now

Can't wait for some more Ramsay in combat. We've only seen him twice I think? Once when he kills a couple men chasing Theon, and when Yara attempted the rescue.

Yep Ramsay is one of the more interesting characters. I don't think he's going to die in this attack.

sangreal

I doubt Sam goes -- they hinted in that scene w/ stannis that he is going to figure out what needs to be done about the white walkers

Ramsay won't die. He won't even fight. He's going out there to cut a deal with Stannis. He'll sneak them back to Winterfell and let them in so they can kill Roose while he kills Walda.

that never crossed my mind. interesting theory

After that dig Sansa made about him being made legitimate by another bastard he may be thinking Stannis can be the one to legitimize him and give him control of the North in exchange for helping him take Winterfell. He clearly detests Roose and this seems to be as good an opportunity as any to have him killed and secure his place.

Also I just don't think there's any way they aren't going to all end up fighting at Winterfell one way or another. After all the history these characters have it'd be really anticlimactic for anyone to die out in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom