• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
QMGmu8E.gif

Wtf is this...

This looked so bad, actually when she first got on and it was taking off it looked fucking great. Then it all went downhill.

They should have saved some money on that close up of Drogon and used it during the flight because the CGI of Drogon himself is great.

Garuroh

In terms of being a despicable person? It may be even worse

I wasn't talking about Stannis but the writers, killing young characters is so edgy and unnecessary, especially in brutal ways like BEING BURNED ALIVE. Nobody cared about the other kids but Shireen was a well liked character killed for shock value :v

bbd23

stannis stuff was hard to watch :(

yeah the dragon stuff at the end looked cheesy but isn't that scene supposed to be really important? her being one of the three riders?

royalan

What I'm confused about is why people are so surprised by Stannis here.

His character this entire time has been "Power-hungry asshole who'll do absolutely anything to get the Iron Throne". He's terrible, and has been this entire time. The second sacrificing Shireen was introduced as an option, it should have been obvious he'd do it.

Jrmint

I wasn't talking about Stannis but the writers, killing young characters is so edgy and unnecessary, especially in brutal ways like BEING BURNED ALIVE. Nobody cared about the other kids but Shireen was a well liked character killed for shock value :v
She was not killed just for 'shock value'. It's clearly what Stannis thinks will win him the war. He's burned people before for sacrifice. It was not done just for shock value. If you watch the inside the episode on hbogo they talk about how hard it was to do that scene.

Road

QMGmu8E.gif

Wtf is this...

I think it looks good, especially in a small gif. *shrugs*

Her legs are there, it's just her boots are the same color as Drogon's skin.

Also, the whole thing with being "shocked" at all the "shocking" scenes this season is eye roll inducing.

Ralemont

not me

I don't see how it's shock value. It's a logical development considering the characters involved and where the Stannis plot went this season.

Doesn't mean it isn't horrible to watch, but it's grounded in the story.

Edit: The Dany dragon scene looks fine for a TV show. Not going to nitpick on that.

I think it looks good, especially in a small gif. *shrugs*

Her legs are there, it's just her boots are the same color as Drogon's skin.

You might want to get you're eyes checked because that does not look good. It looks hobbit bad.

She was not killed just for 'shock value'. It's clearly what Stannis thinks will win him the war. He's burned people before for sacrifice. It was not done just for shock value. If you watch the inside the episode on hbogo they talk about how hard it was to do that scene.

Doesn't change the fact that it was done poorly.

Ralemont

not me

Calling something a fact doesn't make it so. You didn't like the scene, whatever, cool for you. But it's not something they did just for a cheap reaction. Stannis has been burning people all damn series and he's as desperate as you can get.

Decent episode. I kind of predicted to myself midway through that they might be doing a shocker/cliffhanging ep 10 this year.
Shireen dying was definitely shock value. Kids usually never die in Hollywood

CGI was weak this week though.

We all know what it's going to be. Super obvious.

Garuroh

I don't see how it's shock value. It's a logical development considering the characters involved and where the Stannis plot went this season.

Doesn't mean it isn't horrible to watch, but it's grounded in the story.

Edit: The Dany dragon scene looks fine for a TV show. Not going to nitpick on that.

I guess it makes sense for show!Stannis but then that hug scene feels manipulative

Well there's sure to be outrage after this episode. So for me personally this show has had 2 great episodes in a row, hope they can hit the hat-trick and it wont be a complete waste of a season.

Portugeezer

If the dude burns his own daughter alive, what wouldn't he do? I'm intrigued to see how far this fucker will go now.

Decent episode. I kind of predicted to myself midway through that they might be doing a shocker/cliffhanging ep 10 this year.
Shireen dying was definitely shock value. Kids usually never die in Hollywood

CGI was weak this week though.

But did she die (specifically this exact scenario) like that in the book? We can't say it was for Hollywood shock value unless it is different to the book in this regard.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Yup. Dead children are dead children. Both are equally fucked up. When Theon did it, everyone hated him for it. When Stannis did it....everyone hates him again.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but have previous kid deaths happened in such a protracted and excuriating manner?

Being burnt at the stake while your PARENTS watch just weeks after the Mance (sp?) burning showed just how agonizing a way to go it is (even Mance had his suffering cut short by Snow's arrow).

And you got hear her screams for what seemed like a WHILE. And watch even her bitchy mum breakdown.

Portugeezer

Honestly, I feel dumb. While watching the show I couldn't remember who the hell Arya was following. I just sat there in complete befuddlement.

That is 50% of my GoT experience when someone known/of importance shows up, I spend 10 minutes trying to remember (unsuccessfully)

I think that scene is gonna look silly no matter how good the quality of the CGI. It's a person riding a fucking dragon lol. Reminded me of that harry potter ending.

Dany should have put on a war face, would have looked better like "motherfuckers i'm a dragon riding queen!"

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but have previous kid deaths happened in such a protracted and excuriating manner?

Being burnt at the stake while your PARENTS watch just weeks after the Mance (sp?) burning showed just how agonizing a way to go it is (even Mance had his suffering cut short by Snow's arrow).

And you got hear her screams for what seemed like a WHILE. And watch even her bitchy mum breakdown.

Well yeah, it definitely go the reaction it was aiming for. I'm not saying that it wasn't a heartbreaking moment, I'm just aghast at the people who are completely in disbelief it would happen. Like, to me Stannis is a fucking crazy person, it didn't surprise me what he did tonight, but her screaming definitely sucked. Like, made me feel bad suck. Not sucked suck, it was a good scream. I mean, I'm not saying I was getting off on her scream, I'm just saying it was a very well done scream.

Chumly

You might want to get you're eyes checked because that does not look good. It looks hobbit bad.

How was it poorly done? I thought it was one of the most fucked up scenes I have ever seen on television but it wasn't necessarily poorly done. I'm pissed that they went that direction but I guess it does technically make sense giving how Stannis has been acting.

rexor0717

With the title of the episode, I was pretty much waiting for that scene to happen. I was pretty fucking pleased with how it turned out. On the other hand, I did not expect Stannis to be the worst person in Westeros. Davos is going to come back and murder him 5sure.

Ralemont

not me
Well yeah, it definitely go the reaction it was aiming for. I'm not saying that it wasn't a heartbreaking moment, I'm just aghast at the people who are completely in disbelief it would happen. Like, to me Stannis is a fucking crazy person, it didn't surprise me what he did tonight.

Stannis is a huge asshole making sacrifices to an asshole god, but I don't think he's crazy. Given the shit that happens in the Game of Thrones world, religious zealotry is actually much more justified.

Stannis is a huge asshole making sacrifices to an asshole god, but I don't think he's crazy. Given the shit that happens in the Game of Thrones world, religious zealotry is actually much more justified.

Well, he's a little bit off. Definitely a zealot. A fanatic if anything.

Aces&Eights

It's one thing if "God" came to you and told you to do something and it is another when you are getting third hand information from "Him". Kill you own daughter? Abraham had a hard time doing it and it was straight from God's mouth. I abhor Stannis, always have and now the only person I hate more than him is Ramsey.

That final scene made me jump and cheer, heart racing. Hot damn I love me some Mother of Dragons!

EDIT: Now, my only problem is who do I want to take Winterfell? The Boltons (spits) or Stannis? I reeeeeally hope Jon Snow and Co come riding in with the wildlings and kill everyone.

Venture

With the title of the episode, I was pretty much waiting for that scene to happen. I was pretty fucking pleased with how it turned out. On the other hand, I did not expect Stannis to be the worst person in Westeros. Davos is going to come back and murder him 5sure.
I love Brienne. I was looking forward to Brienne sticking a sword through Stannis. I really want to see Davos do it now.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU STANNIS STANS AT NOW, HUH?!

I've always disliked this cunt of a man. Since day fucking uno. I never understood why anyone would back this jackass who ain't shit without an evil sorceress. I mean for fucks sakes, his most prized ally is an EVIL SORCERESS. HOW DID YOU NOT SEE HE WAS A CUNT?!

Man, I am so livid right now. Hearing that sweet girl scream like that. Fuck Stannis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom