• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five

Banned
Robb was fighting against people who clearly had no real claim to the throne, who had conspired together to murder his father - a good man trying to uncover the truth. All while knowing those miscreants had crippled his brother for no good reason other than shame.

Robb Stark was totally in the right and his death was tragic.

Haha, what? Killing thousands for a "rightful claim to the throne" is just, but killing one to save the world is not? Give me a break!

How was the assassination cold hearted? He met Renly face to face and told him to stop the uprising, would you rather have both fighting forces decimate each other and then whoever came out on top lose to the Lannisters?

It's cold-hearted in the sense that Renly definitely would have been a better king.

Also I don't think Stannis particularly cared about saving lives in that context. He couldn't afford to lose men and he needed Renly's men. That was the easiest solution to both. If he had had an overwhelming army at that point I don't think he would have had any issues rolling over Renly on the battlefield and slaughtering his men.

rando14

It's cold-hearted in the sense that Renly definitely would have been a better king.

Also I don't think Stannis particularly cared about saving lives in that context. He couldn't afford to lose men and he needed Renly's men. That was the easiest solution to both. If he had had an overwhelming army at that point I don't think he would have had any issues rolling over Renly on the battlefield and slaughtering his men.

Stannis didn't get Renly's men, the Lannisters did

People need to stop throwing the phrase "shock-value" around so loosely, especially for a show that is as gritty and dark as this one. This is the shows nature. There is no "shock-value" here.

A 9 year old got pushed out a building after watching two siblings fucking doggy style and was crippled afterwards. That was the FIRST episode.....

The best is when people say, fuck this show it's so predictable I just know nothing good will happen, I don't know why I keep watching when I know the ones who deserve to survive end up dying.

Followed by, man fuck this show the writing is all about shock value....Even though I just totally said I expect all these deaths, lol.

Apt101

Haha, what? Killing thousands for a "rightful claim to the throne" is just, but killing one to save the world is not? Give me a break!

Think about it from the Starks' point of view.

Everyone knows that those are not Robert Baratheon's children.

Robb Stark knows that they conspired against his father, King of the North, King's Hand, and murdered him on trumped up charges.

That left one clear objective: justice.

He didn't kill thousands of innocents. He fought a successful war (up until the betrayal) in that name.

There have been few characters fighting for a truly good cause in this show, and Robb was definitely one of them.

Nameless

This is something people need to come to terms with. As harsh as it was seeing Shireen go he believes he is chosen.

Another thing people have to consider is that by sacrificing his daughter he may have also saved hundreds of lives that are out there with him.

Personally, I feel that Stannis is tormented by it all and it's why you never see him even crack a smile, nothing.

Outside of The Wall and The Wildlings he is the only one that has put forth any bit of thought (and then some) towards the true evil. Was it disturbing and disgusting? Absolutely, was it for the greater good? He believes so.

Yup. He didn't entertain the idea until the way was completely lost.

Personally I blame Sansa. She played to Ramsay's insecurities over his position and the new baby which no doubt influenced his decision to gather 20 men and prove himself to daddy.

People calling for Stannis's head must really have jumped to team White Walker because he's the only Southern Lord worried about the threat. Nevermind he has a Flame Priestess, an island full of Dragon Glass, and will replenish the Night's Watch with enough men to become a true force once again. Right now Stannis as King is the only person who'd be in a position to rally the Kingdoms against the Dead -- everyone else with influence will continue to dismiss the White Walkers as myth until it's too late.

People need to stop throwing the phrase "shock-value" around so loosely, especially for a show that is as gritty and dark as this one. This is the shows nature. There is no "shock-value" here.

A 9 year old got pushed out a building after watching two siblings fucking doggy style and was crippled afterwards. That was the FIRST episode.....

Rape/child murder/incest/burning kids has been around since day one folks. Just because the show has now blown up and become part of our very culture doesn't mean they have to hold back on the shows darker nature.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, especially the bolded part. People clutching their pearls in shock and horror at this show seem a little disingenuous at this point, to be honest.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Like 4 eps ago 'you are my daughter'

2 eps ago 'fuck off mel'

Davos 'stannis is a good man'

This episode.. 'lets throw all that character building away for ayyy lmao shock value.'

Arguments like this make no sense to me. Showing that he actually loved his daughter BUILT his character and makes the sacrifice that much more important. He believes that he had to do it to save the world.

CG821wKUIAAp4O7.jpg
And yet, Cersei has always been worse than the three of them. Glad to see her where she belongs, and can't wait for her trial.

Sometimes I feel bad because I'm actually okay with Ramsay... although, to be honest, it's probably thanks to my dislike of Theon. I really don't want Ramsay to die next episode, even though he's just as bad or worse than Stannis.

Apt101

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, especially the bolded part. People clutching their pearls in shock and horror at this show seem a little disingenuous at this point, to be honest.

Because that was character building for the Lannister siblings and foreshadowing for what they were to do, not shock value.

Five

Banned
Think about it from the Starks' point of view.

Everyone knows that those are not Robert Baratheon's children.

Robb Stark knows that they conspired against his father, King of the North, King's Hand, and murdered him on trumped up charges.

That left one clear objective: justice.

He didn't kill thousands of innocents. He fought a successful war (up until the betrayal) in that name.

There have been few characters fighting for a truly good cause in this show, and Robb was definitely one of them.

Not being the rightful descendant is a pretty small crime when the king only held that title by conquest. Ned should have taken the L, but instead he didn't give in until it was too late. Robb was fighting well beyond the name of justice.

Sober

The best is when people say, fuck this show it's so predictable I just know nothing good will happen, I don't know why I keep watching when I know the ones who deserve to survive end up dying.

Followed by, man fuck this show the writing is all about shock value....Even though I just totally said I expect all these deaths, lol.
At this point I have to believe fairweather/casual fans of the show just subject themselves to the "shocking" parts of the show for the sake of it and tune out when it's two or three people talking in a room, because apparently their attachment to the show was predicated on being told CRAZY STUFF HAPPENS ALL THE TIME ON GAME OF THRONES.

Not necessarily, I remember several of the characters saying that he lacked the experience and mindset of a king, but I guess we'll never know :)

I was mostly messing around but I really did like Renly as a character. One of the more kind-hearted people in the world.

Would be interesting to see where he would have ended up if not for Stannis' intervention.

Apt101

Not being the rightful descendant is a pretty small crime when the king only held that title by conquest. Ned should have taken the L, but instead he didn't give in until it was too late. Robb was fighting well beyond the name of justice.

It's been shown that the Starks are people of honor, tradition, and justice. Eddard's actions were just. He was murdered pursuing what was right (placing a true heir on the throne). Robb was out for justice for the crime of murder upon his father, a king no less, which in this world means almost everything (unless you're Little Finger).

Unless I am forgetting previous seasons I have not watched in a long time, Robb wasn't fighting for a claim to the throne - he was merely fighting for the right his father uncovered and to bring justice to his murderers. Right? Or am I mistaken?

And yet, Cersei has always been worse than the three of them. Glad to see her where she belongs, and can't wait for her trial.

Sometimes I feel bad because I'm actually okay with Ramsay... although, to be honest, it's probably thanks to my dislike of Theon. I really don't want Ramsay to die next episode, even though he's just as bad or worse than Stannis.

Her sucking dirty water off the ground is one of the better moments in seeing her get her comeuppance. I don't think that moment gets called out enough to be honest.

I sat up when Jorah tossed the spear. Who else thought he had nailed the pretty bodyguard dude?

Because of Oberyn i was worried Jorah would get done in by the guy being stood up by his sword. I mean, he let his guard down to preen for his Queen, if a swerve was coming that guy could have stabbed Jorah while he stood right next to him.

Because that was character building for the Lannister siblings and foreshadowing for what they were to do, not shock value.

Hindsight is 20/20. Someone who had only seen the first episode of the first season could very well cry "shock value" at the fact that it ended on that note.

This was clearly character building for Stannis, as several other posters have pointed out already. The ripple effects of this act will likely be incredibly important to his character arc going forward, not to mention Davos.

Palocca

As Roose said in the show, Robb lost the war the moment he married Talisa.

It's been shown that the Starks are people of honor, tradition, and justice. Eddard's actions were just. He was murdered pursuing what was right (placing a true heir on the throne). Robb was out for justice for the crime of murder upon his father, a king no less, which in this world means almost everything (unless you're Little Finger).

Unless I am forgetting previous seasons I have not watched in a long time, Robb wasn't fighting for a claim to the throne - he was merely fighting for the right his father uncovered and to bring justice to his murderers. Right? Or am I mistaken?

You are correct. Robb wanted justice for his father's wrongful death. He was by far the player with the most clear cut intentions.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

How is this shock value? They have shown that the Lord of Light has real power when royal blood is sacrificed. Stannis is known for burning people alive for the Lord of Light, even his own family. This God is behind him being the one true King, and he's been told repeatedly by Melisandre that he is the only one who can lead Westeros during the winter. Stannis' entire story arc has revolved around all this. It fits in his character and makes sense considering the circumstances. I get that it was hard to watch, but good lord try to look at the big picture here.

Jaime who is the King's Guard leader is coming back with Bron, The Prince of Dorne and probably a boatload of elite Dornish soldiers. Unlike Tommen Jaime has gonna the balls to go crazy on the fanatics and free the love of his life and give her a nice reunion with her daughter. I think the Lannisters will live another season for us to hate them.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Loved the Drogon scene. For a moment there I thought he was going to die when he was getting hammered with spears. Dany climbing on top was a legit "Holy shit" moment for me. The show has never done anything like that'll date.

I hope we can get some swooping attacking ala LOTR style from Drogon later on, wiping entire groups of guys of their feet.

Five

Banned

So was it right when Ned ignored Mycah's death (the butcher's boy) and the events leading up to it? Or did he at that time realize that sometimes you have to do something that's wrong in the name of preserving the peace?

As Roose said in the show, Robb lost the war the moment he married Talisa.

Yup. Just cause or not, that was a terrible choice and certainly not honorable.

Apt101

How is this shock value? They have shown that the Lord of Light has real power when royal blood is sacrificed. Stannis is known for burning people alive for the Lord of Light, even his own family. This God is behind him being the one true King, and he's been told repeatedly by Melisandre that he is the only one who can lead Westeros during the winter. Stannis' entire story arc has revolved around all this. It fits in his character and makes sense considering the circumstances. I get that it was hard to watch, but good lord try to look at the big picture here.

Sure, but the big picture should include his core motivations and beliefs - outside of Lord of Light stuff - which he has shown to be hesitant of and hasn't assisted him much to this point. I'm suggesting that he threw all of that away rather suddenly.

Nameless

We've been shown that he's hard, unbending, and a loyal follower of his religion. But this is something else.It's a man breaking and forsaking what he, at his core, believes in. A man that was unbreakable suddenly breaking like this is out of the blue and stupid.

My opinion anyways.

Melisandre's conversation with Stannis after his defeat at Blackwater:

https://youtu.be/0sx8Yu_n23c

"Thousands will die under your command. You will betray the men serving you. You will betray your family. You will be betray all that you once held dear"

She then shows him a "great battle in the snow" in the flames.

Stannis has gone further and further from the man he was in order to become the man he believes he's meant to be. That's sorta the point.

Sheroking

Honestly thought this show was running a little low on villains.

The Lannister's have mostly been de-fanged. Jamie and Tommen aren't bad people (at least right now) and Cersei has taken a fall. The Tyrell's and Littlefinger might be long-term dangers, but right now they're just schemers. So that left us with, what? Ramsay and Roose, who are comfortable where they are in Winterfell? Now we can safely add Stannis to the list.

We need plenty of shitty people for Jon and Dany to oppose when it comes to that.

Apt101

So was it right when Ned ignored Mycah's death (the butcher's boy) and the events leading up to it? Or did he at that time realize that sometimes you have to do something that's wrong in the name of preserving the peace?

From his perspective, did he know? Could he have known?

jediyoshi

Like 4 eps ago 'you are my daughter'

2 eps ago 'fuck off mel'

Davos 'stannis is a good man'

This episode.. 'lets throw all that character building away for ayyy lmao shock value.'

Because the situation he was in 4 episodes ago was the situation he was in in this one. Fuck context!

Sheroking

Because the situation he was in 4 episodes ago was the situation he was in in this one. Fuck context!

Actually, yes, fuck the context. You don't need it.

He was introduced as a bad guy, not good enough to rule the realm. He wasn't like "fuck off" when Melisandre asked him to burn the girl, he was conflicted and pained. It's absolutely in his character to sacrifice everything to satiate his greed for power.

Apt101

Melisandre's conversation with Stannis after his defeat at Blackwater:

https://youtu.be/0sx8Yu_n23c

"Thousands will die under your command. You will betray the men serving you. You will betray your family. You will be betray all that you once held dear"

She then shows him a "great battle in the snow" in the flames.

Stannis has gone further and further from the man he was in order to become the man he believes he's meant to be. That's sorta the point.

Hmm good point. Been a while since I watched previous seasons.

Palocca

He was introduced as a bad guy, not good enough to rule the realm. He wasn't like "fuck off" when Melisandre asked him to burn the girl, he was conflicted and pained. It's absolutely in his character to sacrifice everything to satiate his greed for power.

Well, he did completely dismiss the idea and told her to get out when she first brought up the idea. Stannis just got really desperate as they continued to march.

Is it power he's after or does he really believe he is the only one who can save humanity from the white walkers. He has always said what is the life of one person versus thousands. He applied that line of thinking towards his own daughter vs the good of the realm. Not saying it isn't completely fucked up but I think he did in his mind to save humanity.

I find it weird that people are saying they only sacrificed her for shock value. What he did is completely in line with his character. He has killed kin before and believes in risking it all to defend his claim to the throne. He will do ANYTHING to sit on that throne.

Sheroking

Is it power he's after or does he really believe he is the only one who can save humanity from the white walkers. He has always said what is the life of one person versus thousands. He applied that line of thinking towards his own daughter vs the good of the realm. Not saying it isn't completely fucked up but I think he did in his mind to save humanity.

General rule of storytelling: When a dude assassinates his morally-superior brother, burns his daughter alive and generally sells his soul to an evil fire god - that dude is not doing it to be a mensch for the realm.

If he survives against the Bolton's, he's totally going to run up against Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom